5does
Shane
Royta/Raeng
Birdman
Gabriel Phelan Lucas
32 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down  Message [Page 16 of 20]

751Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:08 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Veteran
Was one of the original users
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic

It's not a matter of handicapping myself (at least not my intention) it's simply not liking the others. If I have to switch to them and can't even have my own playstyle without losing out then I'll lose interest.

Don't even have motivation to turn it back on.

752Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:22 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

The game is more made to constantly use their moves (Cooldowns) and have one being unchained in the field i.e. like shown here: https://youtu.be/zn7uHB3wvf4

If you just attack while using a single Legion, then you're playing badly on purpose I'd say or at least holding your potential back. The whole beauty of the system is that you can constantly switch back and forth to use each legion to its advantage, since you have them all available at all times. It's more like style-switching, or at least that's how you have to view it. You don't just stick to Gunslinger in DMC4, you swap around, since you have them all available at all times so you use the tool that is constantly best for that situation and then swap it out when another is needed. Unlike lets say DMC3 where you HAVE to choose, iirc like in CL where you have to choose a Legion.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

753Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:37 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>single Legion
I use two. The ones that interest me.

> you can constantly switch
I know exactly what this system is. I just don't care for it outside of Gravity Storm.

>You don't just stick to Gunslinger in DMC4
I did just that in DMC3, 4, and 5.

>CL where you have to choose a Legion.
Two legions.

754Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:47 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Then I can see why you shouldn't play it haha. I mean if the entire game is designed to be played in a certain way, and you purposefully play it the opposite, it's no wonder you're not having a good time. That's the reason nobody enjoyed CL since they kept trying to play it like DMC and it didn't work.

755Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:28 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>designed to be played in a certain way
I'm pretty much playing it that way just not using legions I don't like. I used bow and axe and switch to arm for Gravity Storm because they're the most interesting to me. That's hardly the opposite way of playing. All I'm losing is damage really.

The reasons I haven't been enjoying it aren't about who I switch to or not causing max damage. I hate the campaign and certain enemy types irritate me. I haven't found any of the enemies interesting.

>How they were playing CL
But I'm not trying to play AC like something else. At first some CL habits influenced my actions but I adapted.

756Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:20 pm

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

I will ask a question that will most likely paint me as some sort of caveman, but I really want to know the answer.

See, I've never owned a PS3, so not sure if I'm doing this correctly. If I don't have an HDMI-compatible TV, then I can use the AV cables as an alternative, right? Because I'm doing just that, but that doesn't seem to work. There's nothing displaying, and of course, there's also no sound coming from the TV either.

To ensure that the cables aren't the ones at fault, I used my cousin's PS2 cables, which fits into the PS3 just fine. Those cables do work when used on the PS2, but they don't work on the PS3.

In short, you do not need an HDMI cable to start playing, right? If so, is it possible that the AV port is damaged...?

757Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:32 pm

GN1

B-Rank

I remember that when I got my PS3 10 years ago it included some cables, not sure if regular or component though. So at least theoretically it should work.

758Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:17 pm

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

I should've said that I do have a TV with an HDMI port, but I suspect the cable or something else is damaged, because that also doesn't work. Using the other cables on a third TV doesn't work either. So I think it has to do with the PS3 itself.

759Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:33 pm

GN1

B-Rank

Otogi 1+2 and Gunvalkyrie are backward compatible, as well as DoA1-4 and more! FPS boost for Sonic unleashed as well as Gears of War and some other games.

Unfortunately, that's the final backwards compatibility batch. Disappointing, but expected.

760Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:55 pm

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
A-Rank

That's cool, I always assumed I'd never get to try Otogi and Gunvalkyrie. Getting the best era of DoA on there is a nice addition too.

I've just had a look at the full list and there are some more gems on there too - TimeSplitters 2 and Future Perfect, Ridge Racer 6 and Skate 2 were all fun back in their day.

761Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:19 pm

GN1

B-Rank

I've also purchased DoA2U+3, Timesplitters 2+3, as well as Beautiful Katamari, Red Dead Revolver and Oddworld Munch's Oddysee. I can't purchase DoA4 and Otogi 1+2 for some reason, it gives me an error on the store. Until it will be fixed, I've popped my Otogi disc, and it's looking phenomenal. If there are other worthwhile games on that batch let me know.

762Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:57 pm

RedShot

B-Rank

Awesome additions! There are some missing titles but we can't have everything. I hope OG Xbox will be perfectly emulated in the future, but in the meanwhile there are several games to play.
My Series S is finally arrived and it works wonderfully.

763Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:32 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I'm glad to see that they also gave a reason for the end of the program, i.e. technical issues and rights issues. At least they are up front about it. Shame we won't get Genma Onimusha and NG2004, but it's still solid to see these games on this sytem. Going to enjoy playing DoA2U and see how DoA3 holds up on the system with improved loading times.

764Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:14 am

GN1

B-Rank

While I realize they can't sell most of the OG/360 library digitally, there is no way they have added everything they could. Where are OG Xbox Halo 1+2 and Fable TLC?

Microsoft is a business after all, and I guess that the BC program doesn't make financial sense for them anymore, and full emulation probably wouldn't contribute much to their reputation, unfortunate as it is.

Regarding Genma, I can assume that Capcom wouldn't have wanted it to clash with the sales of the 2019 remaster. NG2004 could have easily been added, but I guess that since Black is 'definitive' they thought it would be meaningless?

765Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:52 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I think that it's more a question of "why should we" in some cases. Fable TLC is mostly overwritten by Anniversary, which is available. Halo 1 and 2 are 'included' in the MCC (in their eyes, they are botched ports imo). Black is also perceived as the definitive probably.

So yeah in that sense, I can get it. I think also that it just isn't profitable at this point, but more a pro-consumer thing that they did one last time for us.

Pretty excited to play MP3 again on the X1.

766Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:13 pm

GN1

B-Rank

Yep, unfortunately it's simply not financially viable, and apparently because of how the security system works on XB1 and XSX, you can't play games off discs.

I heard that even after the recent fixes Halo 1 and 2 are still inferior in some aspects compared to the OG Xbox, so it's a shame they weren't on this batch. the 360 versions of Halo 3, ODST, Reach and 4 were added long after MCC's release.

Every BC addition is a blessing in my eyes, but Max Payne 3 always ran well and played like a dream on PC, and it deserves (and IMO, needs) to be played with KB/M anyway.

Are you planning to try Otogi or Gunvalkyrie?

767Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:27 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> Otogi + Gunval
I'm still trying to get my hands on a used-copy and play it on my original Xbox, which I prefer if possible. Gunvalkyrie ditto, if I can find it. If copies are too expensive, I'll get them on the X1X for sure.

> Halo 1+2
They are still garbage on the MCC imo, the atmosphere is completely gone and H2 plays like absolute ass imo. Far more enjoying my playthroughs through the originals on the original hardware, but it is what it is in this case.

> MP3
I always liked it more on console for some reason, but I fully understand your meaning and stance for sure.

768Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:49 pm

GN1

B-Rank

Halo 1 + 2 - Looks like I'll play them on my OG Xbox then. The rest are fine at least?

Otogi + Gunvalkyrie - Aside from owning the discs, is there any reason why you would want to play them on original hardware? Otogi runs really bad sometimes, and 2 even more so.

769Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:43 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I'm mostly a fan of using the original hardware if possible, also in terms of presentation. At least for one playthrough, after that I tend to decide if I'll go for the 'superior' release on other systems or just keep it like it is. Like DOA2-U plays like a dream on my Xbox, but DOA3 I've now just started putting in my X1X today since it loads so much better there.

But when possible I prefer original hardware for the original feeling. Something about having the save-game on that system, just clicks with me in a weird way haha.

770Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:58 pm

RedShot

B-Rank

@GN1 Have you played Phantom Dust? It's free on Xbox and PC and it has a multiplayer mod, but also a very long story mode. It has come to my attention because it seems different than the average F2P game.

771Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:13 pm

GN1

B-Rank

@RedShot It was an OG Xbox exclusive released in 2004, and then it was rereleased as a F2P game in 2017.

I have played it when it became f2p, and I remember really liking it actually. It's an action game that plays in real time of course, but you attack using cards. I think it also has some environmental destruction.

While it has microtransactions, I think you can get cards through playing the single player campaign, and then use them to build a deck for the multiplayer. Does it have an online community? I would like to try it online actually.

I have also just started Gunvalkyrie, and as expected, learning and getting used to the controls will take a while, but when I actually manage to play well (if you can call it that), it's a blast. It's 10 USD on the store and I would recommend everyone here to give it a shot, it really deserves it, and it also looks great so that's a nice bonus.

On another note, did anyone here play Star Wars The Clone Wars or Episode III games? I lots of people say that Episode III is underrated and that it's a great game, and it's also made by the developers of Buffy. I'm not a Star Wars fan and I've never seen any of the movies, so I'm only interested in the gameplay side of things, not story and lore.

772Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:34 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

IIRC the Clone Wars was absolute garbage. Episode III was a really fun timewaster as a kid, I think it also had some great couch-coop which is always a plus. If you ever have a few nights to waste though, I do recommend watching the original trilogy. Especially the second film (Empire Strikes Back) is a certified film-classic. Don't let the mainstream trash of the current day dissuade you from experiencing those gems (or any other reason).

773Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:53 am

RedShot

B-Rank

@GN1
>you attack using cards
It seems a weird yet interesting concept in a real time action game.

>you can get cards through playing the single player campaign
So, the long single player campaign was probably a necessity.

I'll play it in the future, right now my priority is to unlock all difficulty modes in NGB and NG2.

774Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:26 pm

GN1

B-Rank

It really is different from anything I've played before or after it, and I think building your deck through the campaign was also an aspect of the OG Xbox release.

NGB and NG2 - What difficulties you have reached by now?

775Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:01 pm

RedShot

B-Rank

>What difficulties you have reached by now?
Hard for NGB, I was busy these days so I couldn't do much more. I have done multiple MN runs on Sigma and a VH run on NG04 thanks to Xemu so it's a just a matter of time.
For NG2 it's different, I reached Mentor on Xenia but I stopped near the first chapters, because I decided to wait for a real Xbox. I have a lot of experience with Sigma 2, but they are very different games, as we all know.

776Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:22 pm

GN1

B-Rank

Aside from some minor visual bugs, how does NG2004 run on Xemu? You are able to reach a locked 60 fps? Are you using Windows or Linux? Xenia looks promising but it's still surprisingly GPU heavy AFAIK.

@Raeng I have purchased the Episode III game digitally, duels gameplay looks nice actually.

As for the movies, The Star Wars franchise is huge nowadays and I don't think I have it in me to really dive into it. The original trilogy (episodes 4-6?) is worth it even if I won't go beyond that?

777Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:41 pm

RedShot

B-Rank

GN1 wrote:Aside from some minor visual bugs, how does NG2004 run on Xemu? You are able to reach a locked 60 fps? Are you using Windows or Linux? Xenia looks promising but it's still surprisingly GPU heavy AFAIK.

Unless you have an extremely powerful PC and use Linux you won't have a stable framerate. I was between 40 and 60 most of the time with a standard PC and Windows 10, that's why I want to wait for Hurricane Packs or other replays of the main game.
Xenia seems solid at least for Warrior, but I don't think it can keep 60fps with IS spam on MN.

778Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:09 pm

GN1

B-Rank

I have an 8700k@5ghz, it's just that I'm using Windows 10 and not Linux, but I'm optimistic that Xemu will keep evolving and improving, the developer Matt is really determined to make it the best emulator he can.

I have seen someone using the invincibility glitch in ch11 on Xenia and still achieving a stable framerate despite the absurd amount of NPCs and explosions, but I too would wait for further improvements to Xenia before playing games there.

779Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:41 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

@GN1

Regarding Star Wars, the original three movies were designed to be just that, three films. They are the definitive 'three act structure' films imo and a trilogy that really goes full circle. You have to consider, the series exploded into popularity for a reason, the original trilogy are fantastic. Especially the second film is just outstanding.

Honestly the series might seem daunting, but my advice is always what you would probably want to hear: stick to the first three films. Everything released after is 'okay' at best, with the exception of maybe the animated tv-shows and some novels. But even then most of the newer content is for a different kind of audience and muddles the lore/ideas of the original trilogy.

PS: there's a ton of versions of the original three. While some changes made to later releases aren't that impactful and are often overblown (or just look bad), if you were planning on downloading them anyway I'd recommend the "Harmy's Star Wars Despecialized Edition HD". It's a giant fanproject to restore the films to their original state and is a fantastic way to view these classics. If you're not into that, don't be dissuaded from just watching their versions on Disney+ or whatever DVD/VHS/BlueRay version you can get your hands on. For a first time viewer they are far less impactful I'd say.

A personal note: I always believed the first three films didn't need anything else, if anything the added lore from prequels, sequels and novels and whatnot have muddled the mystery of the original trilogy's past. There's often alluded to past wars, a mythos, and seeing how those played out in the prequels will never be as cool as you imagined them being. I think you'll feel the same way if you watch the first three films honestly. You'll watch them and feel that it's a finished tale, it doesn't need anything else.

Tl;dr: watch the first three films. Absolutely.
They are currently titled:
Star Wars IV: A New Hope
Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars VI: Return of the Jedi

Let me know if you end up watching them!

780Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:27 pm

GN1

B-Rank

Thanks for the detailed explanation Raeng! I believe I will watch them, maybe even soon.

unless something is a definite improvement, I will always prefer sticking to the original release, so I will try to find it, although I'm having some trouble finding the downloads. All 3 films received this treatment?

781Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:31 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Glad to hear it was helpful! I hope you enjoy the films! They are some of my personal favourites and ones I often find myself revisiting as they are just timeless tales of friendship, hope and wonder. Enjoy!

Now some extra notes. I was going to just end the message here, but kept typing haha. These aren't necessary but I just like talking about it:

> despecialized
To avoid copyright they only made the 'file structure' available, but there should be some torrents about it. I don't want to share those here in case forumotion starts being a dick, but hit me up with a PM if you run up dry maybe I can send you something. No promises haha.

> versions, originals
There's two degrees of changes to keep in mind. Note: this part is only for if you're really interested in this sort of thing, I stand by my statement that every version is more than fine for a first time viewer regardless of what fans say. There's no spoilers here though:

The first batch of changes were done in a sense of "creator's vision". Upon seeing the film, Lucas adopted the motto of "a movie is never finished, it is merely abandonned". Some scenes were revised with whatever methods there were at the time, while other 'cut' scenes were put back in. These revisions are minor and honestly, are overblown. There's some wacky ones like the shootout and some extremely minor ones like the title change of the first film. Most of these were implemented in the theatrical 1981 re-release of the 1977 film and later used as a base for further edits.

Later with technological advancements, and the prequel's release in the 2000's, it went a bit overboard. Actors were replaced or digitally edited to look more like their later actors. For example the Emperor is played by Marjorie Eaton in the original release of Episode V, while in Episode VI he is played by Ian Mcdarmid. In the re-release they re-recorded footage with Mcdarmid with new dialogue for that scene, removing Marjorie entirely.
New scenes using CGI were also added, or older unusuable scenes were fixed using CGI. These are probably the most jarring additions as for example in Episode VI there's a scene near the end where you see all the planets and cultures. But in the re-release you'll also now see cultures from the prequels, which aren't present in just the original three films, making viewers maybe think "what the hell is this planet". Other scenes also have a very inconsistent quality about them as a result, with one shot being traditionally shot with animatronics and original set-designs, while the next shot suddenly has a full-frontal CGI character in a CGI enviroment - jarring.

Again, not breaking the film or anything, just jarring changes.

The problem for most fans though is that, through all these minor changes, the argument can be made that the entire film is pretty different. While I personally disagree, I can definitely see it. Think Ninja Gaiden Black vs Sigma, and you've got a pretty good analogy honestly. The downside here is, there's no Black anymore. The original versions never got a re-release, ever. There's a lot of editions floating around, with each sometimes having one or two scenes of the original that can be spliced together, but no 'full original' release. Which of course sucks major ass, especially in terms of artist interpretation. The only way to really, officially, watch the original release is to have the original Theatrical reel at home, which would make you a pretty rich person haha.

Tl;dr: watch them ;p

782Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:36 am

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak
Expert on The Evil Within

I’m taking a break from games. Haven’t really loved much in the last 6 months or so. I’m always so uninterested in whatever I’m playing and almost nothing on the horizon appeals to me. Nothing but rehashes, homogenous shit, and sellout garbage. I’ll check out Halo when it releases but I’m expecting nothing.

/blogpost

783Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:34 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

If you have GamePass, try out Twelve Minutes. It has some issues, but honestly it's probably one of the most refreshing gaming-experiences I've had in quite a while. Give it a try :) There's plenty of good out there, just have to dig to find it.

784Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:08 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak
Expert on The Evil Within

Alright, you convinced me. Played it for about an hour last night, very intriguing game. Looking forward to playing more.

785Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:05 pm

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

I did not want to say another word about me being able to play PS2 action games until I knew for certain that I could do so (surely everyone reading my claims that I'd be able to play them 'soon' repeatedly *which was months ago last time I said it* would annoy anyone).

But that ends today.

Yes, I am finally able to play those PS2 action games that I missed playing, namely, GoW, God Hand, Chaos Legion, Okami, ZoE2, Onimusha, DMC, and more.

786Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:13 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Fantastic! Through emulation or you got your hands on a PS2? Enjoy man, so much goodness awaits!

787Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:56 pm

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

Both, actually (most surprising thing by far, I thought I'd only get access to one of them). If one fails, then I'll use the other.

Also, it might be worth noting that I have enough power to emulate GC/Wii, so playing Metroid Prime, Mario Galaxy, etc. Are also possibilities!

Out is curiosity, which one of these PS2 games would you start with?

788Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:58 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Personally, I'd always say God of War. It's just such a classic and a fully fledged adventure that hits all the bases, if you haven't played that one at all yet really, really give that one a go.

789Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:42 pm

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

Yeah, and judging from your article, it sounds like an excellent start alright. Anything I should know before playing it, or will I be okay with just playing and learning as I go along?

790Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:36 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

You can 'grab' enemies that are in the air by pressing Circle, this isn't explained in game and you can even redirect this 'grab' by slamming the stick to another direction, slamming enemies into eachother. Otherwise it's very easy to understand.

Oh and blocking is *key*.

791Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:52 am

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
A-Rank
God of War
Expert on all things God of War

>GoW talk
I'm for it when the time comes.

792Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:10 am

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

Raeng:

>grab enemies in the air

Sounds useful. Wonder why the game doesn't explain this.

>blocking is key

Noted.

GMG:

Guess my only (other) question for now is if you can select Hard mode from the start. I heard Normal is too easy, at first I wanted to select that for my first playthrough in order to familiarize myself with the basics, but if it's as easy as people say it is, I'd rather start with Hard.

Only thing to do now is to get the game and I should be good to go.

793Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:13 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

If this is your first GoW, then Hard is pretty brutal as is Very Hard (which is locked). I'd say do Normal > Hard > Very Hard.

794Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:40 pm

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
A-Rank
God of War

Wright: >why the game doesn't explain this
It doesn't teach a ton of shit for vets. Casuals don't care. They want to mash square. To the makers, they think you're advanced if you even juggle enemies (much less go into the air). Derek's opinion, not mine. It is shit like that that kept him from ever getting any traction for adding delayed input strings (amusingly, even more casual Nu-GoW allowed it).

>noted
Try it on anything you see (just do it and be surprised how often that works *not even like there is much guard break in the series*). When it doesn't work (rare), try air blocking or parrying. If THOSE don't work, then i-frames. Rare are the times that won't negate something (traps tend to be the exception, but enemy attacks can apply) like an unblockable. You don't usually get forced to truly evade things (such things would trash the evade i-frames, so if it wasn't clear you need to not let their hitbox touch your hurtbox).

NOTE: Amusingly, many grabs are also on-hit types (not true grabs).

>is H available at the start
Glorified N is, yes. VH (highest) is not, no. GoW1/GoWII on PS2 have cheat codes that bypass this (thanks to Wulf for making this a thing as done for DMC3).

>too easy
First time through (blind and new to the series), maybe not so much. Really, you don't want the smoke for your first go. Combat doesn't need to be super engaging on a non-VH run. Just enough pressure to amuse before crushing asses (barely pressed) just to job to platforming (and puzzles). Save that for VH. You're not going for one-and-done half-assing, right? 'Challenges' are set to Normal (outside a bug for handheld entries that copy the setting you most recently cleared *not good for business as they are balanced for N*).

GoW1 is built different from GoWII and beyond. CoO has a slight adjustment unique to itself (middle-ground), but takes nods from the sequel noted. GoW1 only adjusts enemy aggro, our Power % (doesn't affect all means of harming people *spells tend to not care about this, grabs don't scale for that, etc.*) and Enemy Power % (rather than 'armor' for us dealing with strikes, it is how potent their attacks are *still doesn't scale all moves as with their grabs and projectiles...usually with high base to account for this, but sometimes they forget that balancing decision like in GoS*).

This is significant as orbs for HP/MP retain worth across all settings in GoW1. Even EXP. Enemies also drop more orbs in general. Hell, HP orbs have chances to come out of punks just for you being a critical life. Objects can have the stuff (not chance based). Just easier to recover in the original. But there is one notable difference for Power % unique to GoW1. H drops it and VH drops it hard. Later entries see H not touch it while VH has the slight drop from before.

GoWII and beyond (as noted above) don't touch Power as much in exchange for targeting orb worth (even EXP on VH). Sadly, GoW1 will not let you use costumes on VH (stupid as it is NG+ anyway). Won't let you start with 'everything' (without cheats). No way to have either end game variation even with cheats (need mods *currently one of the two is still beyond even that means*). Easy generally likes to double your stats while making MP costs 25% lower and drains 25% slower. We can get more detailed when the time comes.

NOTE: Probably the worst entry to jump right into H on would be GoW:A. GoS might be ill-advised, too. GoW1 would only have one moment of potential trouble unless you have the right stuff for the right strats.

795Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:37 am

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

Raeng:

>first time playing GoW
Yes and no. I did 'play' a GoW game once on PS2, think it was 1. But didn't get far at all. Though now it's been so long since I 'played' it that this might as well be called my proper first playthrough. You don't have an idea how much I regret neglecting this game for so long when my PS2 was fine. But now I finally have the chance to settle things right.

I do remember some platforming. Chests that contained red orbs (the game's currency?), which could be used to upgrade and/or get new stuff. Green orbs (HP) and blue orbs (MP). Don't quite recall if getting hit by an arrow or some ranged attack could knock you down into a pit. Also remember something that caused petrification, and you could fight mobs whilst you were climbing up something. I believe you could kill innocent NPCs if you wanted to... Though my memory is fuzzy on that one. As it stands, I cannot remember what each input did. Just some vague memories from certain setpieces.

>Hard is brutal for a first timer
I see. Then I'll stick to Normal for the time being. For the most part I think this can still be considered a blind playthrough, it's been well over 6+ years since I last played it, if I'm not mistaken.

GMG:

>mash square
Seen a lot of people bring up an apparently (in)famous meme combination: square, square, triangle.

>juggle enemies
This reminds me, you did a video showcasing a very high combo count, right? Was it 999?

>nuGoW
Any reason for why people prefer this game over the old ones? Besides finding the new Kratos a more 'relatable' character than the apparently 'generic and one-dimensional' old Kratos.

>block anything I see
Will do.

>air blocking
This covers a wider range of attacks than the normal block, or does it mostly work on whatever the ground block isn't capable of negating?

>i-frames
I also remember a dodge roll. Does this have i-frames, or is it mostly a 'get out of harm's way fast' move?

>many grabs are on-hit types
Pretty odd. So I presume blocking works against these?

>cheat codes
You mean built-in codes, or you need a Gameshark disc to enable these?

>Normal may not be so easy
If you and Roy say this, I'll take your word for it and just stick to that instead of Hard, as I said earlier.

>job to platforming
Mostly play 2D games with tight platforming, but I hope that can translate well to 3D. If anything, I hope my time with Shinobi was enough to get me prepared for this.

That said, is it just the platforming that's tricky, or is my memory about attacks knocking you down into a pit correct?

>go for one-and-done half-assing
Most certainly not. Now that I have the means to play PS2 games at full speed, without graphical glitches and input delays, I will take my sweet time delving into each game I missed playing. Same goes for a replay of Shinobi (didn't go for Hard because playing on a keyboard was just too much on Normal) and Viewtiful Joe. Really, there is no need to rush things to clear my backlog quickly, since I pretty much don't care for newer games anymore. The most recent one that I'm interested in is that Samurai Jack game. Probably Final Fantasy Origin or XVI if they turn out good (but I will not hold my breath for these two, already went over this multiple times already). Backlog hasn't gotten any bigger in a relatively long time.

>handhelds
Worth trying?

>enemy aggro
They get new moves, attack with more frequency, and/or off-screen enemies can also act?

>Power%
This a static stat, or can you upgrade it with red orbs?

>forget that balancing decision like in GoS
I think I remember SBK saying that enemies hit like a truck on the highest setting in one of the handhelds.

>orbs retain worth across all settings
Good to know.

>EXP
Red orbs, or something different?

>Power % drops on higher settings
So enemies can tank more hits? At least ringouts and other stuff not caring about this exist.

>settings in GoWII and beyond target orb worth
Is there ever a need to grind in these games if you know what you're doing?

>costumes
What are their effects? Are they some sort of 'mess around' feature like RE4's infinite weapons?

>Won't let you start with 'everything'
Do you at least get some tools to play around with at the start, or is it exactly like starting a new file from scratch?

>Ascension
I was told to stay away from this one. Or is it not as bad as people say it is...?

796Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:52 am

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
A-Rank
God of War

>dabbled in GoW1
Up until what point do you recall? If unclear, feel free to detail that when you get on the matter.

>finally have the chance
On PS2? Because that's for the best (Zim just got fucked by the PS3 version in a way I didn't expect). You'll have access to Wulf's cheat code, which is a nice boon for a NG+ that even I have never had the pleasure of experiencing. Most haven't since those cunts in charge did NOT use website my combo revealed to give us the codes for GoW1/GoWII. Total asshat move (instead we got the fake HD code for GoWII). Would have been BALLER to get that prize. Zim's current run makes use of that (rather than hacks). I'd suggested he use Dairy Bastard (costume) on H if he wanted to emulate having Artemis before you normally get it (before a regular VH run takes over for footage at the normal acquirement point).

>remember some platforming
You're going to remember it quite a lot more clearly before that run is done, friend. They didn't save their A-game for the 'challenges' (post-game extra). If I had my way, there would have been an American Gladiator course (not just Ninja Warrior) making use of the various types, but taken to 11. Really test your mettle. As is, just watch out for the vertical spiked pillars. You'll know 'em when you see 'em. They're infamous. Do they deserve it? When you're new, sure. They're not a problem at all with familiarity (doesn't even take skill to handle *not my strong suit, so you can believe me when I say this*).

>red orbs are currency
Yes, they are EXP. GoS uses them as currency, too. We never get anything that spends them for combat (sadly). Was waiting on that, but the day never came (hit count got it first and only). Couldn't even sacrifice HP for an attack. Might have been interesting if you could pay the cast cost in MP with HP for soul stuff (each entry has something that would apply). Would piss off casuals to get hurt this way, but fuck them. Learn to manage your bars, nerd. They're technically referred to as "Power Orbs", but nobody actually calls them that.

>Green is HP
>Blue is MP
For GoW1, yes. Later you'll have gold orbs (rage), but not in GoW1. Not all entries have a super state. Sometimes that state is not all it should be, either...

>can X send you into a pit
Yes. Will it push you in? Probably not. You can catch yourself on ledges. If you're struck clean in the air? You drop like a rock (forward momentum is lost).

>kill innocent NPCs
Only GoW1 has proper NPCs that I can really remember. They cannot be harmed. You refer to 'enemies' (that can't fight back and just want to run away). Civilians are counted among the bestiary. They exist to get milked for health (sometimes able to pull aggro, take a hit for you, fight back, etc. *depends on the entry*).

>something that causes petrification
Know anything from Greek myth famous for turning people to stone? The first thing and most famous case is probably what they would go for (before more obscure stuff). I'll tell you this. They botched a rarer instance (didn't even give that ability to the poor bastard). Sort of lackluster mini-boss showing for the unique of the first entry, but the sequel made a proper boss (the last got screwed super hard with a multiplayer ONLY stage hazard treatment).

>fight things while traversing
GoW1 in particular likes mixing combat with other activities, yes. Not so much swimming (that never became a thing, sadly).

>what each input does
They'll teach you. Tutorials generally force themselves upon you (can be annoying). Only so much can be done to disable such things.

>stick to N for a first go
For the best. More about learning enemy layout (won't change), casually practicing what you can or cannot do in terms of interrupt, block, etc., seeing the orb drop types, getting a feel for their moves and so on and so forth where combat is concerned (otherwise you're just exploring to learn chest locations *planning around this*, getting upgrades/extensions *testing to see what you will want to invest in for the serious run*, doing platforming/puzzles *the hardest part of the first go*, etc.). VH is where you can start to get some pushback and focus on the gameplay's real charm (enemies with some teeth *even before you pile on with self-imposed restrictions*).

>lots of dipshits say to use Plume of Prometheus
Indeed. PoP is a meme (existing mostly with non-players disparaging GoW rather than just casuals speaking out of turn). In GoW1, that is not the most efficient way to go at all. With decent Power % and/or higher modifiers, you will probably be relying on the Blades (when not dumping MP like crazy), it's true. However, you would be a fool to use a mid-range, medium speed crowd control tool as your dps tool. I can go over damage values when you get started. Help you with having a notion of what you can do before you get serious with vanilla VH. Maybe wait until you're starting that up. Your call. Really, that only had some water early in GoWII when you didn't have other weapons as base values were adjusted (among other things) such that the attack in question (Plume *t0*) is effectively twice as strong as it as was in the previous entry when used properly (still takes some thought about setting up "deep" hits for the double). It is a shit tier strat in GoW:A. If your ass ain't using a vastly superior version of the move with another tool then you're a fucking idiot. Move is UNSAFE in that entry (while the competition is just better in all ways).

>999
999,999. GoW has bonus (EXP) descriptors for certain actions. One of those is sufficient hit count rewarding with a flat bonus (ignoring EXP % *doesn't mean a thing for GoW1 without costumes that adjust it*). Means more early on (and if you're not working bugs to get tons of orbs). Anyway, certain breakpoints have higher and higher bonus. That stops pretty early on (in GoW1, the numbers run off the screen at 10K, but you can go beyond it *don't think I saw anything at 100K*). GoWII is where this was first tested. Why?

A gent reported a milestone at 100K. I needed to see if he spoke the truth. He did. So I set-up a way to test further without having to bore myself to tears, recorded it and noted the various benchmarks along the way only to uncover a secret website early after release as a result. A site for announcing CoO that was not up yet, so I went to the director's blog to bother him about it. They repeated this stunt for GoWIII (regarding GoS). Not sure why they didn't come up with other ways to give out these web addresses. GoW1 just had secret phone numbers (one for VH and another for doing a certain thing). Guess they got lazy (not enough imagination).

NOTE: "Showcase" is a strong way to put it. I was dicking around. Hit count is not impressive. Combos are really not a focus of the combat system. If you learn the intricacies (especially bugs/exploits) well enough, sure. A show could be put on (really forcing it). This ain't DMC. We don't play with our food here. Efficiency is the name of the game. That and brutality. Working hazards in particular is a big difference between the two titles. Quick Kills is probably most focused upon in GoW1 (as evidenced most strongly by the potency of throws *grabs be strong, yo...most of the time*).

>any reason
Shit taste? Nu-Males prefer Pop Culture take on Norse (fad pagan religion at the time) to Greek/Roman? Casuals wanted it to be even less of a game (glorified movie)? Soyboys wanted to raise their wife's son as they got older? Hard to say. But really, it is just pretentious (obvious TLoU clone forcing a bastardization of the MC with retcons to make him something he is not in an attempt to appeal to Hollywood types *as if going for game awards, which it succeeded in doing of course*). Journos do so adore when you betray fans (defended the shit out of something GoW:A pulled and were all over running defense for Nu-GoW). DmC was a pretty extreme example of this.

>wanting to relate at all
See? As close as I can get to their faggy mindset is appreciating (not necessarily preferring) my character match my actions. The game has me playing a monster doing terrible things. What a coincidence. That's how I behave with him. There is no disconnect. GTA4? They want me to be some retard who cares about his cousin, was scarred by war, just wants a fresh start, etc. How did that manifest? I kill homeless under a bridge, stand on the elderly until they die to see if cops get mad (they don't), punch people to start beef (so they'll get officers mad when I make them accidentally strike the boys in blue *just for me to get a vigilante reward for open murder*), make PD kill themselves via long fall (exploiting AI), haunt a single park for 40 hours, try to depopulate dating sites and crime databases (sadly the game doesn't quite allow what I wanted), barricade myself in hospitals/police departments for slaughters (beating people to death with dildos), eviscerate strippers in the club (often via stabbing and burning), etc. I'm not here for your dumb story. I definitely don't intend to play like the character's personality suggests he would act. There is a big gap between what I do in the sandbox and what suits him. Not so much with Kratos. We're in perfect harmony. Nu-GoW side-steps this by just keeping civvies out of it. Weak.

>air block
It works basically on the level of the parry (higher tier than a block). The rare case that guard breaks even that won't mean as much as you will cancel the animation on-landing. A true unblockable will not give a shit about air block. Sadly, not even upgrades can give Artemis access (let alone get rid of delayed blocking, gain a parry, acquire an air parry *never a thing by the way*, benefit from just frame blocks, etc.). Lots of grabs don't work properly when you're in the air (some will just do a set amount of damage, instead). You won't know until you try sort of thing.

>does it have i-frames
Yes. The frames are worse for the back roll. Avoid using that. Kratos is NOT rewarded for retreat (something considered out of character for him) in this way enforced by the game. If he was in Souls, he would not use backstep (or at least his would be shitty *lacking poise, no i-frames, etc.*). Turn and run? Sure. Just not going backwards (or landing on his back *considered a big no-no rule for depicting him, so it is funny when it happens while knowing this*). It'll get you out of harm's way just as easily as putting you INTO harm's way (covers a lot of ground, you see). GoWIII is the only time you can look forward to different evades (depending on the weapon being used).

>blocking works on these
Correct. Don't even need to parry to make it work. I don't think there is a single grab that can be parried, but not blocked. No dedicated anti-air comes to mind. The game doesn't tend to design around what vets do, just casuals (who are expected to stay grounded). Even Souls is like that (made for those that always stay locked-on, so learning to go without it lets you really style on bosses). Some grabs have activation damage. Some only have fail state damage (DoT during a mini-game and/or for failing the QTE). It varies as you'll see. We tend to have i-frames from other things during this (which is good as it sucks when you don't *getting held still so other hits land is awful on VH as grabs won't scale, but the other stuff does*).

Attacks with block push (making you go flying back) are rare. Likewise those with block stun (recover longer). Same for guard breaks (either you can block it or you cannot *most often how it is*). Well, outside GoW:A. Even there, I feel like VH would benefit from something it was never going to get (alternate balancing with adjusted hit properties, attack tiers, etc.). As unlikely as new enemy layouts (notion toyed with for GoW:A). To them, only New Game N really matters. The one-and-done kids are most strongly favored (barely any effort for NG+ let alone beyond that *Souls has a bit of this as only DaS2 put effort into NG+ adjustments of substance though one can argue some of these things should have just been in the first cycle to begin with or 'plus' version of gear are a heresy leading to garbage bloat*).

>built-in codes
Yes. GoW1/GoWII have them. And only those entries. And only on PS2. The GFAQs Cheat page (or Wulf's YT channel) goes over this matter.

>Gameshark
I'm sure that would work (along with proper hacking on a jailbroken system).

>word for it
There are just bits on H that are 'spikes' you don't need for a first time through. Save that fun for VH when you've conquered other considerations. No need to really drag your feet getting slapped at each turn in frustrating fashion (just a yard full of rakes). Could demotivate.

>tight platforming
This won't be tight. Can even be janky. Typical of 3D in genres that are NOT platforming focused. I doubt Shinobi plays all that much like this (NG might have more in common though even that is pretty distantly related, I'd think).

>sent into a pit
I wouldn't expect non-projectiles to do this outside CotG10 (Extras *not in the main game*).

>Nu-GAYmes ain't doing it for ya
I hear that. The lull in the action is a great time to play catch-up, certainly. Precious little on my radar right now (Wukong and Elden Ring are about it).

>worth trying
Absolutely. Just be aware CoO is the simplest and easiest entry. Even still, the secondary weapon is comical (not just for being a glorified ovenmitt, but being the first time a sidearm was onpar in terms of move options *let alone having good specials, decent normals, being obviously favored over the default, grossly OP to the point of gamebreaking, etc.*). GoS has a less extreme dose of the same while improving as a more authentic GoW entry (despite being handheld). I'm a sucker for grabs, so the new option was sorely missed once lost (in a new game). A few other charms existed. Definitely some questionable things, too. You'll see for yourself.

>new moves
Hell no. The philosophy I noted with them doing things in development with focus laser focused on what will be seen/experienced by the bulk of the mainstream they are targeting? It is a miracle we get shit like OH redirect, alt.OH, etc. That's just the combat guys with free time going above and beyond. Bonus time spent on new animations only seen on higher settings would never get a red light. Ever. Not in GoW proper (much less Nu-GoW). The budget is huge, but super tight just the same (a lot goes into presentation you're meant to see in a single go *not so much trying to bait you into replaying as would be expected for HnS since those are short Action types that get playtime value via tilt with unlockables and such*).

>adjusted AI
Not at all. If the enemy can or cannot do a thing in one setting, it cannot do it in another. They are the same. No new tricks get put in, sadly. This ain't Vanquish (to my great regret).

>greater attack frequency
All this refers to.

>static stat or
EXP does not touch Power %. EXP goes towards modifiers attached to the level of gear (or just a higher version of a thing as is sometimes more accurate *SoD's PS comes to mind in GoWII*). That and new moves/perks. GoW1 does have a way to adjust Power %, but that is the limited use mechanic (RotG). Not everything builds that up. Normals tends to. Specials for the BoC do not. Blocking and even parrying won't (nor even just evasion), sadly. GoW:A spoke like it would have this, but instead went full retard with how it handled that system (more on that another time).

As you would expect, getting HURT builds the meter (Kratos gets mad), too. Being grabbed and even doing grabs can build it, but usually it is successful completion of mini-games that will yield notable returns (much more than a single slap of melee). Can even game the system by failing QTEs before they fully finish (not all attacks hurt or do much DMG, so it becomes something to exploit *even a case with EXP to this tune*). But yes, the state in question doubles Power % while active (among other things). Not the case in other entries (offering different things depending on which you're talking about). Costumes can also adjust this stat.

NOTE: I don't believe getting beat up builds rage in GoWIII. It takes from meter in GoW:A...

>hit like a truck
That can be true, but I'm more talking about dying to a single grab even when doing the mini-game as fast as possible (meant to limit damage taken). MAX HP at full taken in one move is extreme. Obviously an oversight. Grabs are meant to be 'high' damage attacks on N that are only seen as super threatening on E. On H and VH they aren't a huge deal relative to melee. Projectiles are just a less extreme version of this (for the most part). GoS let them scale while having that high base damage, which produced an undesirable result (they don't test beyond N save when combat devs have free time, so it is a glitch in the sense it is an oversight).

A cyclops should not hit harder than Death. GoWIII had an egregious case not too disimilar. A particular boss had a grab that could foul tip you for direct damage...as an unblockable. The grab did nothing on activation and is easily reversed. Getting 'just the tip' would seriously fuck you up. Think it one-shots you with the full MIN bar for VH. The hurtbox extends more than it should, which also doesn't help (the grab portion, thankfully, is the only bit of this that negates i-frames *something not normally the case in GoW*).

>tank more hits
Depends on what means to harm them you're using. Hazards, grabs, spells (usually), etc. don't care about Power % at all. Some things (like collisions *sending foes into each other*) scale with THEIR power (not yours). Sometimes with nothing. But in GoW1, you are dropped to 50% (rather than 75%). Good thing this entry has so many ways around that (hugely OP tools to that effect, too) and the base (even MAX multiplier for the default weapon) DMG is so high. Ends up not meaning too much unless you're that dork mashing square. One enemy exists to shit on that fool in particular (a few others aren't super sweet on them, but this one clearly lives to ruin their life).

>need to grind
Limited options exist to do this, but it can be done. As for whether you NEED to, obviously not (generally your base kit does just fine *and on N you will rarely feel things are a sponge just soaking hits to waste your time even then*). Still, could you want to so as to have a certain option by a certain point? Sure. The one that stands out to me the most is in GoWII. An early boss is a gatekeeper (bounces casuals harshly) both literally and figuratively. Having the projectile spell at MAX allows for an option with advanced tactics that can cut what would take five or more rounds of summoned enemy waves to probably just two. Otherwise, getting enough to upgrade things by a point you would want to have them strong enough for an option isn't especially hard if you focus on them. You don't really need to pull stunts with bugs, exploits, getting all the chests, working for bonus descriptors, etc. That's just gravy to have things a little sooner. Smoother sailing.

>their effects
Aside from cosmetics, most often they just adjust stats. In GoW1, they are the only way to affect orbs. One of these has Infinite MP as a perk. None of the GoWII cases have a perk, but there is a better spread of stat archetypes (glass cannon, nerf tank, challenge attire, fun attire, ORBS, etc.). Cheats in the form of collectibles for NG+ became a thing by this point, so perks sort of got shelved into this new facet. CoO...think one has infinite MP again. GoS had a case that can only be used in the Arena (unkillable, new character with insanely OP output yet very limited moveset *bit of a waste*). Otherwise there were pros/cons. Not all worked as advertised, but that can be discussed more down the road. GoW:A had nothing at all (NOTHING AT ALL). Well, it had a single reskin and attires from the multiplayer on a non-Kratos rig. That didn't adjust stats. Or anything else. Purely cosmetic. Collectible cheats were still a thing, but two of them don't do anything. Pretty laughable stuff.

NOTE: GoW1 doesn't allow them on VH. The rest do. In NG+. NG+ never quite fully does what it should. A bug exists in GoWIII to get a truer taste of what should have been. You'll want to sample that at least once (as with the cheats for GoW1/GoWII).

>NG+ handling
In GoW1, it is the same as NG except you can use Costumes. GoWII lets you carryover upgrades, but extensions (bars) are auto-MAX'd for some reason. Costumes can be used along with 'cheats'. You start with all weapons and spells, but no relics. Handling varies in a given entry, but you will find that they hesitate to let you have things that would allow sequence breaking at all (if you have it, you won't likely be able to progress without acting like you don't have it yet *earning it once more*). This excuse is meant to cover GoWIII's ugly NG+ (that a glitch makes much more fun). Pity it forces MAX upgrades (though extensions are whatever you had them at). Know what makes more EXP % and such useless? THAT. Again, only GoS has a place to spend EXP not for upgrading. There isn't a time where you can convert orbs for others, an attack or whatever else, so...

>stay away
Save it for last for sure. I'll put it this way. It ended the GoW community. It gave a faulty reasoning for betraying GoW proper (for Nu-GoW), too. Many vets quit playing the series over it (even I went on a five year hiatus before returning to finish my work *where I learned to enjoy some things, but still had grievances you will come to understand in time*). Is it terrible as a game? No. Does it have serious issues that weigh it down? Yes. Is it the worst GoW entry? Probably. Not as boring as CoO on repeat plays, but definitely the most frustrating entry (only somewhat approached by GoS on VH). Deeply questionable thanks to Jason (who took over as gameplay director by Nu-GoW).

797Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:45 am

vert1

vert1
C-Rank

Videogames that will now show up in the search function:
Cannon Spike
Total Carnage
Echo Night: Beyond
BattleTanx
Under the Skin

798Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:02 pm

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

Sorry for the delay. Haven't had time to play GoW but today I played a bit of it. It's slowly coming back to me, I was confused on whether I had played 1 or 2, and it's definitely 1. The ship, the health chest, that boss, and the 'QTE' minigame. Noticed that you can block while you're attacking, no need to wait for the animation to end. Taking notes to see how often blocking works, like you suggested to do. It works against the ship's boss, for one.

Hopefully I can get some free time to properly delve into the game. I'm just starting and I'm already hooked up.

>up until what point do I recall
It's a bit difficult to say for certain at this point. I remember the petrification bit, a platforming section where I died by being struck mid-air, and now that I think about it, some sort of lightning spell? Kratos was also able to throw some projectiles, but the difficult part about it all is that I don't remember which bits came after which. So I'm not sure if the petrification bit came after or prior the acquisition of the lightning spell, and so on.

>On PS2?
Yes.

>got fucked by the PS3 version
What happened? Was this in GoW1?

>Wilt's cheat code
Neat.

>going to remember it a lot more clearly
I do remember the geometry in that part where I died from platforming. Looking forward to see how I'd fare now.

>'challenges'
Also took a small peek at the extras menu. Pretty much the majority of them are locked, but that's to be expected.

>watch out for the vertical spiked pillars
Noted.

>EXP
Also remember the 'upgrade' screen... It's a matter of time until it all comes back to me.

>drop like a rock
Then this must be what I'm remembering. Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

>'enemies' that can't fight back
That must have been it.

>anything from Greek myth known for turning people into stone
Medusa?

>best to stick to N for the first go
Started playing on this. So far only Hotel has disagreed with this (he doesn't seem to agree with most of what SBK says either, in regards to certain games. And he also disagrees with Vegeta's score).

>practicing what can or can't be done
Makes sense.

>non-players disparaging GoW
Also recall some people stating that grabs 'weren't efficient'.

>not the most efficient way to go
Ah yes, now I remember, I did ask SBK to see if PoP was just a meme or if those people were speaking the truth. Good to know that isn't the case.

>999,999
Wow. This must've taken quite the time to get to this number.

>Combos aren't the focus
I figured they weren't, but other people might've thought it was impressive (recall that video was one of, if not the most 'viewed').

>Shit taste?
Just wondering why people think a game with less depth, fewer grabs from what I have heard, and arguably the worst implementation of RPG mechanics, is better than old GoW. But yes, terrible taste answers that question pretty well.

>avoid using back roll
Noted.

>platforming won't be tight
Even so, it would be smart to not make the same newbie mistakes as my cousins did (using the mid-air jump RIGHT after pressing the jump button once). As young as I was at the time, I figured it was common knowledge to space out the second jump to cover more distance.

>Elden Ring
Haven't been following this, last I heard was most people thinking that it seemed like 'more of the same'.

>the handhelds are worth trying
Good to know then, that means more old GoW to play.

>Full max HP taken in one move
Agreed, that is pretty extreme alright.

>Ascension
>ended the GoW community
>faulty reasoning for betraying GoW proper
>many vets quit playing the series over it

I'm even more curious as to whether I should play it, then. That said, according to SBK, one game I once played was seemingly much more barebones than that game, DMC2, and NG3, though that was a really long time ago.

799Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:06 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> blocking
You can cancel quite a lot of things with it, you can also cancel certain animations in a row using specific actions i.e. roll > attack > roll, canceling the first roll with the attack and the attack with the roll, allowing for very rapid dodges.

> locked content
There's quite a lot of bonus material and it's all pretty fun, I'd definitely give it a watch if I was you later-on :)

> Start on Normal
Hotel's more about going for Hard right away from what I recall. When I started GoW, I started on Hard too and he commended it, while looking back I kind of regretted it as it led to years of me disapproving of the series.

> GoW 2018
> fewer grabs
Make that no-grabs haha. It has some very interesting mechanics mind you, the way it handles pinning with the axe to the enviroment is very interesting. It's extremely hampered by its "deep story" and RPG systems. The former since it's so invasive, the later since enemies outleveling you means launchers and pins don't work. Enemy design is also all over the place, with later enemies simply turning the mechanics off and saying "just square square triangle with cooldown spam now". It ironically became what it always thought it was.

> GoW:ASC
Can't speak for GMG, but personally what was most bad about the game was how exceedingly dull it was. You have no new weapons, magic barely works or does anything at all, 'hidden' chests aren't hidden at all and usually in plain sight. The game is unstable as hell and not really interesting to play since you only have one weapon and only some enemy types. Even GoW1, the first in the series, had more variety than this. Pair that with gating most of your basic moveset behind a no-damage run and you've got a super dull experience honestly.

DMC2 and NG3 are bad, but they at least have something going on. GoW:A is just exceedingly boring to play.

800Chatting about games - Page 16 Empty Re: Chatting about games Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:04 pm

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
A-Rank
God of War

Wright: >definitely GoW1
For the best.

>block while attacking
Rather, block canceling (especially for normals *though not all of them as you will find the case to be*). Often great. GoW:A...might upset you. Fun for another time.

>animation to end
For lack of delayed input strings, we get the trade off of being able to delay (to an extent) as we dial up our combo/string, which can be helpful to be sure. Still, a sub-weapon SHOULD Have had alternate strings for that, mashing, holding, etc. aside from Dodge Offset. The default doesn't need the complication for sure.

>how often
Pretty fucking often. Not always, however. With JUST this bit on the Aegean (tutorial), I readily recall Deck Hydra has a grab that ignores it (no activation damage, loss isn't that painful *or likely* and reversal is devastating to it *means more on VH where your output is nerfed*). More substantial would be Hydra King's bite (unblockable). Easily dealt with (and turned against him) as it is. Take full advantage of blocking while you're allowed to. Really appreciate your vanilla strengths (as with grabs and upgrading). It'll mean more when you lose those things to challenge runs (or later entries nerfing you).

>recall petrification being a thing
Probably not so much using it (let alone well).

>lightning spell
Zf. Not very good. With all other options at lvl1, it is okay for single target efficiency. Range is its main appeal, but that only matters for things you can't reach until you get AoH to blow a load with (MP chests all over). Never gains piercing. Can't bust shields. Won't knock around big boys. Can be guarded. The only saving grace is 'overcharge' (charged versions can work with just enough MP left for a basic toss *not to say you can abuse it to always save on units, but when down to your last drop it is a boon to consider*). Not mobile outside air use. No draw animation in the air (just use). Draw animation lacks armor much less i-frames. Rough.

Then again, you could mean PR (from the very start). That is good (hitting way above and below us *lvl2+ allowing mashing for more hits/damage and a wider radius). Faster spell spam when done in the air (less recovery). Some utility beyond slaughtering groups, too.

>throw some projectile
That would be Zf. So you meant PR before.

>struck mid-air and dropped for an insta-death
Early in the game like you're describing? Not much comes to mind. Frozen mid-air, sure. Clumsily falling from beams...alright. Maybe you were crossing wall gaps and got slapped (unlikely)? Sections with kill floors you get shot at during aren't all that many (late game, really).

>what happened
A particular fight's barrier normally drops just before a trap floor gives way. On PS2, you can ignore the enemies (killing them drops the obstruction early) and do a stunt to land safely. On PS3, you need a bit more than simple aerial attacks to avoid death by gravity for being too slow to clean up your plate (given the run type he was doing, not much he could do there). In short, this version made the barrier stick around longer than it should have.

>upgrade screen
It was a good call to later have the spending scale so it didn't take ages to go up a level for things nearing their MAX (lvl4 to lvl5 BoC comes to mind).

>way to prevent this
Don't get hit. Kill them first. Prevent their shot. Make them miss (leading their aim). Air Trick. Air block (less effective, but can work). Kratos never gains Starkiller style Air Recovery even with Hermes Boots (just an air dash without an attack *not even with upgrades does it become sweet like what Galen works*).

>Medusa
That's one named case. What sort of being is she? She wasn't born this way. This monstrous form is an established type of creature of which there are many (though stories give her just two sisters *who are immortals yet she is the queen between them*).

>Hotel likes being wrong
You'll get used to it. Ignore the boy (he's still stuck running away from an old fight he should have easily beaten *because he wouldn't listen to our Lord and Savior much less his dear Daddy GMG even as he disingenuously says he did*).

>SBK said
Odds are, he will steer you right. While Taz is easily our best vet and Zim is the most decorated, it is SBK who is my favorite student (gone peer). In my absence (or in circles I do not walk), he is the best thing around (like having me were I to play shit like Kingdom Hearts). When in doubt, be assured he can help to an appreciable degree.

>grabs aren't efficient
I'll put it like this. In GoW1 things are very different from GoW:A. The standings will change between entries as probably doesn't surprise too much to hear. In GoW1, grabs are way up there. Even then, you have to take into consideration the situation. Grabs DO NOT scale with Power %. When on VH (50%), you have a pretty good reason to focus on such a thing even more (prior to runs where you also have 1.0 modifiers as all you'll be afforded versus 4.0 like lvl5 BoC in that entry *3.0 elsewhere and 5.0 in CotG for GoW1 thanks to AB...RotG effectively making it 10.0 via Power %*).

But N? Well, trash mobs against your upgrade tools makes it pretty needless outside maybe wanting some i-frames, some special orb drops (MP from sneks, HP from bulls, etc.) and all that jazz. When their HP starts getting up there? Well, some of these fools are still subject to grabs that SCALE. It took three to kill before? Guess what? Still three. Less than 100HP to over 600? No problem. Get killed, son. It's ridiculous. Be aware that while MOST things get super hurt by grabs (and even easily infinite'd), not everything holds to this (some take pathetic damage *or zero via an oversight*). But then you also get petrification and hazards to work (as other ways around Power and even grabs). I would say collisions, but they won't mean much until enemies are more potent (given how they scale).

NOTE: When you're weak as Hell, what is more efficient? 360 toss of some fool to be FULLY invincible and clearing a crowd with 50DMG or slapping a few of them for 1DMG? To set-up a triple air grab on some 600+HP type (killing it) or waste your life chipping it down 3DMG at a time (Plume spam). I know the Math. Those clowns don't. Least of all for serious runwork. I have the inside on values. Also, know that SBK is better with dps talk than I am.

>quite the time
I forget. The method I used was over 10 hours. Just came back at each milestone once I had an idea of how long it would take. Let the rubberband do the work. It would have been faster with my original way, but required me to wearing my button and muscles out for a good duration, too.

>thought it was impressive
In error, yes. The point was never the hit count. I skip to the milestones, play joke music to it and let loose the biggest possible 'Inferno' before drawing attention to the point (the secret website *then credits*).

>most viewed
A lot for the time, yes. Getting journo coverage (accusing me of being a Sony employee) drew even more attention to it. Not sure how they got involved. I only recall telling GS, TUGOWU and Barlog. Not so much IGN, Kotaku and the like.

>less depth
What is there (by Derek) is limited by Barlog and undermined by Jason.

>fewer grabs
They focused on the stun grabs thing without sufficient feedback. Executioner's Cleave seemed like a neat thing (more so than the Not-Thera's Bane during Not-Orion's Harpoon with BoC) that would have complimented Artemis well. But yes, there is a lot less grab stuff going on (part of that is lacking a jump for air Orion's Snare). Since GoWIII, each entry had its own unique grab added (then taken away). Combat Grapple, Hyperion Charge (GoS) and Tether (GoW:A). Nu-GoW...calling EC this is a stretch. Pinning people is another such case. Think we still lack a downed grab (one day Kratos will do a King style GIANT SWING *Wolverine already crossed that one off the list nicely while being able to slap them into hazards and beat targets with said agent*).

>terrible RPG implementation
I'm sure the poison and freezing wouldn't be that terrible (nor even the gear and such) were it not for the level gap issue (too far below enemies and all the mechanics go out the window to the point they will one-shot you through guard and no-sell your garbage while taking chip). Had they patched to adjust that alone...

>more distance
That's one reason. Another is just to give more precision (and time to react to things going on).

>more of the same
Fans tend to want precisely that. Remixes of the familiar with some adjustments here and there. For a Souls, even a gimped version of the Sekiro mobility (most especially a simple jump even if lacking ledge grabs, shimmy, wall bound, etc.). Alas, we did NOT get swimming. Instead, horseback riding (that's a first). The open-world gimmick with warp points...some might be into that sort of thing. Provide they take care not to let the place be too dull with generic spots, I guess it is fine (ME:SoM didn't push it too far here *we've got a crouch like Talion had, but nowhere near as good*). Some returning ideas. Reworking of some mechanics. Seems like a proper spiritual sequel. If people were into the previous entries (including BB), this should be fine by them.

>should play it
You should. But as the capstone to your experience.

>DMC2 and NG3
I would rather play GoW:A than either of those. Maybe NG3:RE is about on the same level. Tough to say. DmC would lose pretty clean, but maybe DmC:SE is on par? DMC2 didn't get such a redo (still owed one). That community needs further punishment (still haven't learned their lesson). DmC2 is in order.

Roy: >with it
And a fair few other things. Lots of 'this canceling that' to mess around with. Worth testing to be sure. You can sometimes be surprised (as with some Artemis specials being spell canceled to help make them usable *though still not very good*).

>quick rolling
Such a thing means more in NUR. With lvl2+ BoC, he'll have access to stronger tech exclusive to GoW1 (thanks to Hermes Rush). Another option in GoW1 is jump canceling the rolls. Faster than attack canceling, but harder to direct.

>regret doing as Hotel advised
>was bad for business
Unthinkable.

>hampered
Walk-and-talk not to your liking? What about row-and-talk? Or maybe climb-and-talk? Consider stand-and-talk.

>invasive
Won't let you blaze through the game on repeat playthroughs (big blunder for Action).

>it became the hated meme
Funny.

>how dull it was
With enough knowledge, you can get some enjoyment out of it (myself as a guide). It won't be smooth sailing with the fucked up bits in serious runs merely for my holding one's hand, but I'll be your lube for that ass-fucking. Maybe flash a comforting smile.

>no new weapons
Just pretending at it with elements. Not even tertiary (WWs are this).

>barely works
Almost all the same, too.

>chests
I'm not too worried about their failure with collectibles. I just wish the things we got weren't so craptacular (still hard to believe they can repeat an oversight like giving us an EXP multiplier cheat only usable in a mode where you have MAX shit *with no other way to spend those orbs*).

>unstable
More so unpatched.

>some enemy types
You'll pine for grunts when you get the profound strength that is diversity. Amazons, Sibyls, Hoodies and Embusa come to mind. All females, amusingly. How appropriate. Can't agree to how they dropped Greek stuff almost entirely for non-Greek things. Phoenix will see for himself what I mean when he gets to it. Missing some key players (while failing to include some great leftover figures).

>most of your base held hostage by rage
Close to half, but this is a slight exaggeration. Still awful.

>NDR
A bit dramatic. Not all hits will take meter. No one hit will fully drain meter from full (even the base MAX). Filling the bar isn't nearly so troublesome as in past entries, but then it doesn't work the same. Exceedingly different this 'rage'. Getting the stuff is easier than avoid it, I'd say.

>something going on
BANG BANG (DMC2)
STEEL. ON. BONE (NG3)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 16 of 20]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum