5does
Shane
Royta/Raeng
Birdman
Gabriel Phelan Lucas
32 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down  Message [Page 18 of 20]

851Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:34 pm

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
A-Rank
God of War
Expert on all things God of War

>mashing
Ah, yes. Then there is wireless controller business when that is a thing (I don't care for it).

>keywords for remembrance
Right, right.

852Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:11 am

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

>don't care for wireless controller
Same.

Forget what I said about leaving this for later (except for addressing your earlier post). I want to talk about the following. The big minotaur boss. Since he had a visible health bar, I used some moves to see how much damage they did, t1 is stronger than what I had initially thought, as is Spirit. L1+Triangle doesn't seem to do much damage in comparison, and it can't be cancelled. Plume's good, but Spirit is better in terms of raw damage (the former can be cancelled though), so not sure why the 'spam Plume to win' is a thing, when there's other good offenses you can use, like Artemis and probably Zf.

Luckily there's 4 save slots (and 4 more with a second Memory Card), so I'll use the third one (blackouts have been a bit frequent where I live, so I always use two slots, just in case) to test more moves later. To note, the Blades are at Lv 4, PR is maxed, and everything else is at Lv 1 (been debating on whether to upgrade anything else, since I have 8000+ red orbs, or wait for Lv 5 Blades). The boss himself was nice, wonder if you'd always have to throw two projectiles at him to break his armor, or if there's a faster way to end the fight quicker. RotG fills a lot when you successfully clear the QTE (you regain half, to be precise). But as it is, the fight doesn't last too long. I used RotG at the start of the fight, so I could do the QTE to get half of the meter back. After firing the projectile, I used PR whenever he rushed towards my position, and attacked him a couple of times (as using PR wasn't enough to leave him stunned). Then I attacked him with physicals, and used PR again just as his armor was going to break apart (dropped a lot of MP). Then I used RotG, and PR twice.

Progressed a bit further. Got Army of Hades. Seems like a really good option for crowds, but I'll wait to see how it fares against tougher mobs. Drained the water at the center of the Rings of Pandora, and saved the game nearby.

853Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:04 am

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
A-Rank
God of War

>move strength
Guessing we didn't go over damage values. Is that something you want to do now?

>why it is a thing
Relatively short string for a decent hit property on a safe and relatively strong move. Decent for crowd control, some set-ups and even stunlocking (with varying success). That's about the measure of the matter. Ask Roy Boy about dashing into jumps into OL UT spam being how Ninja Gaiden is characterized for highest setting play (and how that actually holds up). He's dabbled in both worlds more than I. More so than even the DMC kids (probably nervous someone would bring up Stinger for laughs or get serious with talk like Distorted Real Impact), I would say it was the lads from Itagaki's camp pushing that line.

>like Artemis
It isn't going to keep up well with the primary weapon on the damage front (especially with upgrading). Starts in a decent spot, but has a lot of problems that its strengths aren't fully able to cover (great as those abilities are). Most are not going to mess with it enough to find those gems. In a casual run of lower settings you can get away with horsing around with it to an extent (Clone War will probably wreck you still unless we're talking Easy or using a costume to buff dps further).

For vanilla VH? Hard to compete with MAX BoC (or AB in CotG). When and if you wish to see the weapon used at a higher level there are a few options for visuals (Shin was an early one, Taz went further and Zim is the most recent and probably best for tactics and fullest grasp on the thing *might be better still when he gets around to using it in CotG later*).

>and Zf
Probably not, no. Being blockable hurts the appeal in a big way. It is suited to ranged, but we rarely have things that try to zone us, play keep out, work distance, etc. even before AoH takes that job (expensive though it is). It can't bust shields (not even when full charged). I don't think it has armor let alone i-frames on draw to give it charm. Efficiency is slightly better than 1:1 for single targets, but why spend MP in most of these cases? Just to do it? Our output with the upgraded BoC tends to be better (even when it isn't as with NUR there are generally things like grabs, collisions, hazards, etc. to work).

Petrification (MG) is a system more worth considering (granted, not all things are open to it *and it becomes more easily exploited with upgrading*). PR is an AoE type, but even at lvl1 you are probably better off using this panic button type for two or more targets at once (can spam it while in the air). At lvl2+ it can hit even more while expanding radius of coverage (useful the attack goes infinitely in the vertical sense and ignores cover unlike Zf). Air Zf being a cheap way to get to Artemis SS for tricking is one of the few reasons to toss a bolt as such. It lacking charged just releases for higher output, better properties, cheaper cost, etc. hurts. Nice that you can get a charged (lvl2+) bolt for the cost of a regular one when beneath the cost of the former (only enough for the latter). Exploitable when bottoming out (especially with light MP refill options around to keep this 'sale' going).

>4 slots
Never understood the limitations here.

>test
Or you could just have answers provided. That process is a pain (and you're working with vagueries *like what I tolerate in approximations of Artemis though closer than what you're using to get a feel despite lacking Wulf's tools*).

>lvl4 BoC
>lvl3 PR
>post-LPG
Probably want to dust off lvl5 BoC, then go for MAX AoH. Everything else is for giggles.

>boss is nice
When you don't know him that well, yes. If you really want to know the inside scoop on how to make him easier, harder (and more varied), go by quicker in vanilla (or in general), etc. I can just divulge that info (which would include skipping the whole fight except whittling ~50% of his S4 HP bar down as he's unable to fight back).

>RotG
Get some RP from taking hits (easily recovers with lots of orb drops *and their potency*) and landing them (exploitable on its own given the nature of the boss). The CS mini-game completion is worth half the bar as I recall.

NOTE: If you ever do a Cheats run, you can see what AoH lvl3 does to him for laughs (maybe air PR spam on him while you're at it). Or just get high Power % and RotG lvl5 BoC TotF all over the bull after skipping to S4 (unless you want to slap away at the armor for kicks).

>good option for crowds
No i-frames on the cast (and has one *just not a free one like MG or Zf for spell cancel exploitation*), but it comes out fast with good range. I forget the particulars for cost, number of hits, damage per hits, etc. Rest assured, it is quite strong, just costly (justifies itself with groups). Being able to bounce and juggle things is great even before pairing it with Artemis for Punt set-ups (they are already bouncing, so a launcher with it will trigger the bug). One place in particular comes to mind for this combo (so many chests around *even more with MAX'd extensions*, so why not).

Don't think it really gets blocked (save Magic Legionnaires, of course). Wouldn't matter much were it defended against as it keeps coming (don't remember anyone just turtling up to defend fully from it or otherwise countering the swarm). If things are far away, tanky and in force (numbers), it is ready to ruin their day. A cast-and-forget type, you can do other things while they're out (though not casting it again to have even more out at once).

>how it fares
You'll find out pretty soon. You're just before the last truly new mob. The casual crusher (designed to be infamous that lot). There are variants beyond it, but the only meaningful one (ignoring the nerfed version of a once mighty foe) will surprise in who gets to be a glass cannon.

For fun, have a close look at AoH (something I didn't do until recently):

lvl1

Next upgrade:

Final - Believe this shows lvl5 BoC and an area you haven't been to yet:

NOTE: Description for the extra image of lvl3 goes over some thoughts that came to mind. Were it only so. Might have helped Zf get some time in the limelight (like at least gaining shield busting with charged shots *not among the things noted, mind you*).

854Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:03 am

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

Hi. Just popping back in to remind you that this mess is now 10 years old. Discuss your horrible memories of this game.

Chatting about games - Page 18 27449_ninjagaiden3ps3_38214_1_1366556601

I didn't play it at launch like some of you guys, but I decided to check it out anyway after I sort of softened up to Razor's Edge a couple years back, because "It can't be THAT bad, right?" Nope!

855Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:30 am

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
A-Rank
God of War

^I skipped even the demo.

856Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:28 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Veteran
Was one of the original users
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic

Been meaning to play it for years.

857Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:05 am

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
A-Rank
God of War

^Enjoy that for me, won't you?

858Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:54 am

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

Following @GN1 's suggestion to move this to a more general topic (regarding the conversation in the KH topic).

>interested in the same games
Got any suggestions besides the ones I mentioned?

>KH
Definitely try them whenever you are able to.

>best version of ZoE2
Not sure, but Roy should know.

>Jak
I'll try them someday, just not soon. I want to play the games I mentioned first. But if for some odd reason I were to be burnt out of Action, then I may consider giving these a try, for a change of pace.

>might be able to play some lighter games
Probably, but I don't have high expectations.

>take good care of the PS3 controller
Will do.

@Malcar

>MGS4 will require at least 8 cores
Definitely out of my reach for now.

>crashes
Noted, will keep this in mind if I get a modern PC instead of a console (doubt it, but still, this is worth knowing).

>can run NG2 with a GTX 1660/1070
Sounds better than I had expected.

@GodModeGOD
I have finished the game, maxing out AoH was a good idea (especially against the Clones, I could restore the NPCs' HP when I used it). Ares 1 was simple, but the second fight was a bit tough (mostly because I hadn't gotten used to Artemis' moveset). Most of my failures were a result from failing the QTE (sometimes I didn't really know if I'd initiate it, or if Ares would counterattack *in other words, not sure what triggered the QTE*). But ironically, reversals were the key to victory. Got Athena's Blades, but the game ended shortly thereafter. Is there a secret fight that's unlocked on higher settings (like certain old beat 'em ups)? Or do I get to use it in CotG? Also, climbing the spiked column in The Path of Hades was pretty tough, I even clipped into a wall and fell to the pool of blood thrice. Also, the last variations of already familiar mobs (including the last new one I met *which, by the way, was a bit tricky, but I could adapt pretty quickly*) were interesting (though not sure what to think about the minotaurs' super armor, or maybe there's a consistent way to get them to flinch *or be launched*). You say enemy AI doesn't get more aggressive (besides their attacks dealing more damage)? Not even introducing the enemies seen in The Path of Hades in earlier parts of the game?

Before I address the rest of your post (as well as the previous one), I have one question. What is the next step? Hard? VH? CotG? Rest assured, I will keep you updated on everything I do on my subsequent playthroughs, won't skip segments again.

859Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:55 am

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
A-Rank
God of War

>move to an appropriate topic
I had much the same thought for GoW, really.

>finished the game
Ayyy.

>good idea
With lvl5 BoC's RotG providing the funds, you're good to go.

>heal while it is active
Really, letting them get beat the fuck up is part of the plan if wanting to blow through the encounter.

>Ares 2 troubles
>owed to not knowing Artemis
That'll do it. Also, not knowing the boss (doing things that make it harder like letting yourself get caught such that he'll do a ridiculous set-up not seen if playing smart *versus preventing him from doing anything other than blockables or rushing things with pressure for an easy mashing mini-game over and over*).

>game ended
>use in CotG
Yep.

>secret fight
Nope.

>pretty tough
Platforming takes some practice to feel out.

>variations
The most notable in GoW1 is probably Minotaur Tormentors (nerfed in Hades). Their moveset is more capable, but also they get protection from basic launches.

>consistent way to work that version
Their charge has hyper armor. The only things stopping that would be their death or being petrified. This as with the wake-up, but that has been true of all variants for them. Catching them between attacks with light slaps can make them flinch. This is your cue to cancel into something like 's,t' where the latter (t1) has a second hit with bounce properties, which will open them up. Just doing it runs the risk of them saying 'no'. Pretty sure Artemis isn't protected against in the same way as BoC, but it is still better to go with bounces over launches when they are on their feet. When spawning or in the air, they lack this protection. Knockback works as you would expect.

>won't get more aggressive
Between N and VH? There is a very noticeable difference there.

>next step
CotG. Enjoy your OP set-up with aggro you're used to. It won't let you do a lot with non-AB stuff, mind you. Then comes vanilla VH (adjusting to a tougher situation, but maybe trying different things *until Ares 1 where you might, if not already having used a bug, consider exploiting him for EXP so you can have the MAX set-up desired to handle the Clone War*). Could do it the same while trying more advanced tactics. Could also focus on Artemis (suffering against gorgons *and to a lesser extent others* when so new) with MG. Probably the sort of thing for down the line as you will likely get the shit beat out of you for getting too fresh too soon.

860Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:18 am

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

>move to a more appropriate topic
Fair enough. Expect a reply in the GoW subforum.

EDIT: But I wonder if I should make a new topic, or post in the 'general' discussion thread.

861Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:22 am

GN1

B-Rank

Still on my first playthrough of God Hand, beat Stage 7-3 (Great Sensei) and all of the fighting ring missions so far (1-34).

Since I'm still KMS'ing it, it takes lots of time (probably 40 hours+ by now), but I'm just having way too much fun learning the combat that I don't mind the length of the playthrough. Will update again once I'll finish it.

@Phoenix Wright

More PS2 action games I'm interested in: Castlevania Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness, Shadow of Rome, Sword of Etheria, Bujingai, Gungrave + Overdose and the Onimusha series (Genma is OG Xbox only though, might be playable on a 360 but not sure). I'd also recommend Viewtiful Joe, but the GCN version on Dolphin, it's very easy to run and it emulates perfectly.

Last edited by GN1 on Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total

862Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:48 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> ZoE2
Best version generally speaking is PS4/PC called MARS. While I'd say the original PS2 release is more 'true' it comes with a ton of caveats like low frame-rate that MARS fixes. You can always try the other versions later.
I wrote an overview on it here: https://stinger-magazine.com/side-stories/which-platform-to-best-play-zoe2-on/

> God Hand KMS blind
Pretty darn impressive, my first GH run was really rough IIRC and it took quite a while for me to beat KMS HARD down the line. Great job man!

https://stinger.actieforum.com

863Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:15 am

GN1

B-Rank

ZoE2 - I have the MARS version and already beat it on normal once (spamming grabs was fun haha), really liked it and looking forward to next playthrough + experimenting with sub weapons and mechanics.

IIRC you said extreme is brutal right? Have any idea if the EU PS2 version supports 60hz?

God Hand - Thanks, but as you can see it takes at least 3x the length of the normal playthrough. No complaints, I'm absolutely loving it, such a masterpiece (yes I said it).

It's probably obvious, but this normal KMS, not hard (not unlocked before beating the game). I'm always trying to stay at lvl3-lvldie, but some sections were too tough for me and I did them at lvl2 - Stage 1-4 Gold and Silver, Mad Midget Five, stage 4-4 3 stooges and Stage 7-2 come to mind.

864Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:51 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> ZOE2 versions
Can't say for sure. IIRC my EU PS2 copy caps at 50, but honestly unless you're emulating the game will hover between 10-40 mostly. It's really a PS3 game on PS2 hardware in terms of what's going on.

> ZOE2 difficulty
The game has the distinct feature that enemy-AI and patterns change per difficulty. So on Normal you can dodge Zakat's laser-of-doom by just dashing left and can side-step Anubis' homing bomb. On Extreme these require far more intricated dodge-patterns to avoid, and enemies are very agressive while also countering grabs. It totally changes your outlook. Fantastic game. Imo one of the best action-games ever made.

> God Hand
> Masterpiece
This is no secret haha, it's Mikami's best as far as I'm concerned (or at least tied with Vanquish)

> Normal KMS
Still, impressive! I would recommend to one time play some stuff with the Roulettes. While they're mostly derpy fun, they're extremely well animated.

Also for my Hard KMS run most stuff was pretty doable, but the 3-stooges and 7-1(? I think it was this one) were absolutely INSANE. The difficulty spikes are really bonkers.

That said I still prefer playing Normal as noted, I love the difficulty-meter pushing me towards excellence.

865Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:15 am

GN1

B-Rank

ZoE2 - good to know, I might try emulating EU PS2 for fun. Any other changes besides visuals and extra content in the MARS version? I mostly care about gameplay/AI inaccuracies, like Vanquish at 60fps for example.

Roulette - I will have fun with it for sure after beating the game once.

Stage 7-1 is the big open level in the desert with the trolls and the tanky battery boss. Not too hard even at lvldie.

Stage 7-2, the flying pyramid was really tough. 2 waves of 3 goons, 1 wave of 5 goons and a samurai to wrap things up. I had to do it at lvl2-3, despite managing to clear the first 2 waves at lvldie once.

What's your opinion on the Great Sensei fight at stage 7-3?

866Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:48 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> ZoE2
Check the article for indepth notes, that's what I wrote it for haha

> 7-1
I think I meant 8-1 then. Deathmountain or something. It's the one with the giant last-brawl before the final areas.

> Great Sensei
I love him, though he's a bit too wacky for my tastes when he goes multiform.

867Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:31 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak
Expert on The Evil Within

>Mikami's best
How can one game be picked? There are too many life changing masterpieces(again, I'm obviously not a fanboy).

>Great Sensei
I know you didn't ask me but I think it's an excellent fight. GH is a RARE game in the genre where I like every boss fight.

>ZoE2 extreme
I'm butting in on the conversation again. ZoE2 Extreme is one of the most straight up enjoyable action experiences ever imo. Like Roy said, enemy patterns and behaviors really change and a lot of potential bad habits get crushed. Going up and performing raw grabs is basically out of the question in most cases, but there's a ton of ways to set them up if you know what you're doing, meter drains super fast from blocking so you have to utilize it more efficiently, etc. Goddamn, what a fucking game. Every time it gets discussed I want to play it.

868Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:01 pm

GN1

B-Rank

Mikami - I've only beaten 2/3 of RE4 (I need to fix that ASAP I know). I absolutely loved it though, as well as Vanquish and God Hand. Also liked what I've tried of P.N 03 (Thanks again Raeng!) and TEW1. I've yet to try RE1DC, DC1 and REmake1. A decent director I guess?

God Hand bosses - I loved almost all of them thus far, this game is filled with great bosses and its mechanics play very well into them. I like how they are essentially repurposed versions of normal foes but with their own twists making them unique. I also enjoyed the great sensei fight once I didn't let him clone.

However, some bosses simply weren't good IMO. While you might attribute Mad Midget Five to lack of skill or simply high difficulty, the demon form of Elvis is a disappointing tanky boss. I also didn't like the demon form of Shannon too much, but at least that fight was more unique. Battery robot from stage 7-1 was fine but a little too tanky as well IMO, though counter hitting him is fun.

ZoE2 - Great to hear, definitely looking forward for diving into it. I really liked it even on normal, but the game is short and it was over before I thought about using anything other than grabs haha.

869Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:16 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> decent director
EXCUSE ME I THINK YOU MEAN TO SAY THE BEST THAT EVER LIVED HAVE YOU SEEN HIS PORTFOLIO OMG WHAT ARE yeah he's okay I guess

> God Hand bosses
That's a good point honestly. I think the only one I don't really like is the girl-boss (forgot her name), she's a bit too 'bait+punish' for my taste since she has so many hyper-armour moves.

> ZoE2 too short
Yeah it doesn't waste any time. Great for replays tho.

> thanks for PN03
Anytime. Seeing just one user or player discover a game they didn't think they'd like through this site makes it all worth it :)

870Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:09 pm

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
A-Rank
God of War

Wright: >new topic or general
I'm not too concerned which it is, really. Though should you start doing more serious runwork, you will probably want to make your own.

871Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:05 pm

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

^ Posted the full reply in the GoW1 subforum. In the meantime, I'll be playing CotG.

GN1: Never heard about half of these titles. Would be interesting to see if they are worth trying.

>Castlevania games
Ah, I did hear of them, but never looked into these.

>Genma Onimusha
Heard the original version was pretty obsolete, and I doubt I could run an Xbox emulator (if there is any).

>Viewtiful Joe
I did play this, but not seriously enough. That, along with RE4 and Shinobi, are some titles I definitely have to revisit someday.

872Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:25 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>PN03
YES.

873Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:46 pm

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

^ I have to try that game as well, now that I can play GC games.

874Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:26 am

HotPocketHPE

HotPocketHPE
C-Rank

ZOE2 fucking rules.

875Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:01 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> Genma Oni
Really one of the few games where I would really say: skip the original and just play Genma. With other titles there's always some sort of nuance that got lost in translation, or another feature that makes both games worth playing. That's not the case here.

> Castlevania
Always liked the classics. Been noticing a lot more negativity around Castlevania4 for whatever reason lately, despite it being my absolute favourite.

> Viewtiful Joe/RE4/Shinobi
All three bangers.

> ZOE2 fucking rules
DAMN straight

876Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:11 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

> Viewtiful Joe/RE4/Shinobi
The golden age.

877Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:53 am

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

>Onimusha
So it's fine if I jump straight to the second game in the series? I have absolutely no way to play Genma, but I've been curious about trying the series for a long time now.

>Castlevania 4
You mean the SNES game? I tried playing the first NES game, but got distracted with something else and didn't finish it. Rondo of Blood is also another game that I wanted to play, as well as SotN. Heard nothing but praise for these.

878Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:56 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

>ZOE2 fucking rules
Correct.

VJ/RE4/Shinobi the Golden Age
Also correct.

>Rondo of Blood
Phenomenal title, highly recommend it.

879Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:22 pm

GN1

B-Rank

Finally beat my first playthrough of God Hand (normal difficulty), including the first 40 fighting ring missions (the rest are NG+ only) and I'm ecstatic that I've managed to do it KMS. Took me like 50 hours I think, but I really enjoyed (almost) every second of it.

Stage 8-1 (Death Shudder) was a real difficulty spike, must be a nightmare at hard KMS. Took me like 4 hours but I managed to beat it while remaining at lvl2 most of the time (occasionally going to lvl3 before dropping again). At least I'm supposed to be better at performing counter hits now lol.

Azel is such an amazing boss fight, challenging and so much fun and the presentation and OST only make it better. And because of that, it's even more disappointing that Angra was such a slog, similar to all the other big demon bosses.

In my book this it stands right next to NGB and NG2, it's that fucking amazing despite some annoying sections (Mad Midget Five, Death Shudder, demons bosses).

I'm already looking forward to future playthroughs and experimenting with all the moves (also finally trying the roulette moves), but before that I need to finally beat Viewtiful Joe on Ultra V-rated (R.I.P Clover studio) and replay Fatal Frame.

I've also never played DMC, so it has to be a great time to start with DMC1. Damn I have a huge backlog (mostly 6th gen stuff).

880Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:32 am

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

^ Same here. So many games to play. But so little time to actually play them.

>Phenomenal title, highly recommend it.
Glad to hear you're praising it, gives me even more reason to try it.

881Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:18 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

Damn, nice job @GN1. Glad to hear you liked the game so much, it’s truly a top tier entry in the genre imo.

>stands next to NG2 despite annoying sections
Hey, if there’s one game that knows a thing or two about annoying sections…

Just kidding haha.

>Viewtiful Joe
Another amazing one, enjoy it.

>starting DMC1
I’m jealous, you get to experience all of these games for the first time. You have so much quality to get in to!

882Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:00 pm

GN1

B-Rank

Well, of course God Hand has nothing close to NG2's bad sections haha, it's just that I love NGB and NG2 so much that I couldn't imagine a game reaching their level, yet God Hand did it. A top tier game indeed, a true masterpiece.

I know you said earlier you liked all the bosses, but did you really like the big and tanky demon bosses? I felt they were a let down. What did you think about the Mad Midget Five?

Viewtiful Joe - Amazing indeed, it has such creative and fun mechanics. I beat it on adults and V-Rated 2 months ago. Need to beat Ultra V-Rated now, as well as trying the other characters. Did you play as any of them?

Starting DMC1 / playing PS2 games for the first time - It's a revelation for me, I have years worth of mostly 6th gen games to play which is both a blessing and a curse haha.

883Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:08 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> Death Shudder
JUP, that's the one that gave me a ton of trouble on my Hard KMS and also on basically every other challenge run I did. It's the only chapter I 'skipped' on my Normal StarterMoveset NUR KMS since I just couldn't get past it.

> DMC1/3 haven't been touched yet
I am sometimes so envious of users here. Just like when Greg played RE4 for the first time like last year. Treasure these moments, seriously. They really, really don't make those quality games anymore.

They still make good games. Just not, THAT good, at least in my book.

> liked all bosses
Not Infinity, but I'm mostly with him. I liked them all, also because they all do something different if only slightly. Mad Midget Five is a mess, but it's technically just a suped up team-fight like the regular combat is. I really like Daemon Elvis and Daemon Sharon for w/e reason, just great tense fights with lots of little elements. The Director Bug (w/e his name is, Gamzamel?) is hilarious if you go for a dizzy-setup (he's really weak and open to the granny smacker I think it's called).

884Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:25 pm

GN1

B-Rank

TBH I didn't experiment too much with the different moves yet, I'll be sure to do so in my next playthroughs. Glad to hear there are moves with more unique properties, can't wait to dive in and having fun experimenting and discovering things.

Mad Midget Five perhaps was just too nuts, but I still enjoyed it to a degree.

I did like the fact that you could interrupt demons bosses' attacks like Elvis' bite grab by well timed attacks ala counter hits, and perhaps with the right moveset I'll enjoy them more, but they still felt too tanky, especially Angra. avoiding their attack patterns is fun though.

RE4 - Only got up to to near the end of the chapter castle (two trolls segment, one of which you can drop to the lava) like 3 years ago, but I remember having a blast. I forgot just enough that I'll go in again sort of fresh, can't wait!

885Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:31 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> moves
That's mostly the beauty of the game, there's so much to experiment with. I did both a fist-only, drunken-only and kick-only run which were all fun (drunken-run was way too busted haha). You can really tailor unique movesets and it's also fun to experiment with specific movesets for specific bosses instead of settling on a moveset that works 'decently' against everything if you catch my drift.

Some moves are very specific, there's a pretty strong kick that has high-knockback without counter hits, there's a juggle-launcher that instead of making enemies angry has them launch higher (backfist?), there's moves that dodge high innate, just a ton of fun to experiment around and have fun.

It's a tad tempting to just optimize it, but I highly recommend just derping around with moves and making fun setups.

886Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:50 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

>big tanky demon bosses
To be honest, I don't think they're amazing, but I've played so many games where big bosses are just tanks who completely brush off your attacks, ignore central game mechanics, and take an eternity to kill, that the ones in GH I still find enjoyable, since you still have flexibility in how you approach them and don't just go "lol nope" to what the game usually offers.

>mad midget five
It's a funny, momentum based fight where when you have them all lined up and maintain good positioning it's a joy to smack them into the ground, but getting surrounded or overwhelmed gets you killed quickly. I tend to enjoy fights like this, and there's something satisfying about picking them off one by one which eases up the pressure on the player. I think I've come to appreciate this aspect after fighting dozens of Souls bosses where the enemy magically powers up after you take down half their health...

>RE4 fresh
Would love to hear your thoughts if you do this again. Always intriguing to see someone go through an iconic game like that.

887Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:04 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

To note, I love just infiniting the Midgets using MachSpeedPunch spam. So cathartic haha.

888Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:51 pm

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

I was a bit undecided on whether I should play God Hand or DMC1 first, but seeing all the praise for the former makes me very eager to try it. But only after I'm done with GoW2.

889Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:28 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Bought Panzer Dragoon Remake and Ninja Saviors.

890Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:33 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

>GH or DMC1 first
Even though I think GH is top tier and one of the best things ever, I don’t suggest starting with it, just because it’s so odd and difficult. Going with something a bit more “traditional” might be better imo.

891Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:57 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Yeah definetly don't immediately jump in GH, it's fan-fucking-tastic but has a pretty rough learning curve.

892Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:43 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Anyone play any of the Fallout games? I'm referring to the later ones, 3, New Vegas, 4.

My brother told me 4 has a mean sniper build, but the game looks too huge for me. Researched New Vegas and the map is way smaller. Might give it a try.

893Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:54 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Played and finished 3 and really enjoyed it at the time, not sure I would enjoy it now since my tastes have changed so drastically. New Vegas is apparently really good but never got too far into it.

894Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:12 am

Nadster

A-Rank
Veteran

From those three I have mostly played New Vegas. I couldn't finish it on the PS3 since the framerate became a slideshow. I have 3 and 4 but I didn't spend as much time on either of them.

895Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:26 am

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

@Royta/Raeng , what is the name of a topic of yours (pretty sure it was made by you) where you detail all of the essentials/'must play' Action games? I think I am missing something, somehow feel my PS2 list is a bit short from what I remember. Guess I should also ask if said list is up to date.

896Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:05 pm

Nadster

A-Rank
Veteran

I believe it is List of Games in the Genre.

897Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:55 pm

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

That is the one. Thanks, Nadster.

898Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:02 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Despite the list being lacking, I also still reference back to it from time to time to check up on things like "wait am I forgetting a title" haha.

I still want to make a big list at one point, think that'd be cool, though a massive undertaking.

899Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Tue May 03, 2022 11:20 pm

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
A-Rank

Hey guys, hope you've all been keeping well. Not really been keeping up with the action discussion for a while as I've been on a bit of an arcade game binge. Been playing a lot Tekken Tag Tournament (via MAME) and I was surprised to find I enjoy it a lot more than the PS2 version, which I played a lot of back in the day. The arcade version feels a fraction quicker and more responsive, at least to me. I enjoy the charm of the PS1-era polygonal graphics too, even though the PS2 upgrade was pretty amazing for it's time. Would love to build an arcade cabinet but don't really have the room for one!

My next action title might be Persona 5 Strikers while my PS+ subscription is still active. I enjoy the RPG games and from what I've heard the signature mechanics/systems have been brought across to Strikers in some interesting ways. I've not got much experience with Musou-style action titles, but I'm hoping I'll enjoy it.

900Chatting about games - Page 18 Empty Re: Chatting about games Thu May 05, 2022 8:06 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Hey Greg, good to see you again man!

TTT sounds cool, what appeals to you about it so much? Are you playing it online through mame or just compstomping?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 18 of 20]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum