You are not connected. Please login or register

God of War 1 General Discussion

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

51God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 2 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion on Thu May 09, 2019 5:57 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
It is easily the hardest part in the series in my opinion. If you have the Rage upgrade you just have to spam magic as much as you can. But even then they can get a few hits in. Square Square Triangle works well to keep them locked down. Try to conserve magic and super-meter when needed. They give you a lot of refills as I recall.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

52God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 2 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion on Thu May 09, 2019 6:51 pm

RedShot

C-Rank
Got it, I think I'll do it tonight.

53God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 2 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion on Sun May 12, 2019 6:24 pm

RedShot

C-Rank
I'm doing a god mode/very hard run, I'm enjoying it so far. I'm using launchers and grabs more efficiently, almost no magic, no rage and no qte finishers for more orbs.

54God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 2 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion on Sun May 12, 2019 8:19 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
So I assume you beat the Clones? Good job!

Very Hard is extremely fun once you get the game's mechanics down. I remember doing a NUR and immediately doing a PAIN run afterwards since the core combat is just so addictive, really a type of game you can constantly get better at. Note that SOME QTE finishers give more orbs, I think against the giants for instance. Doing petrification kills gives the most I think if you shatter them, the "shatter" bonus is huge. Freezing flying enemies is a great way to get this, as they'll fall to their death immediately.

55God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 2 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion on Sun May 12, 2019 10:28 pm

RedShot

C-Rank
Yeah, I beat them, thanks!
Nice info about red orbs, I'll petrify more enemies from now on.
By the way, I've read some David Jaffe's interviews and that guy seems very different from what I had imagined. Even this tweet is very weird coming from a director that created such a good action game:
https://twitter.com/davidscottjaffe/status/1103887485711527936

56God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 2 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion on Sun May 12, 2019 11:24 pm

Birdman

I don't get it. Let me get this straight.

>Loved the demo, but too hard and not fun.
Wut?

>Lost in DMC adventure.
Play an adventure game then FFS.

>No desire to master anything.
What's the point then? DMC exploration isn't that good.

>Is worried about easy mode being a 'baby's toy'.
Why? He just said he doesn't care for mechanics and wants to explore, but now being too easy is an issue?

This guy is all over the place. Has to be a joke post.

Last edited by Birdman on Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total

57God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 2 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion on Mon May 13, 2019 1:07 am

hedfone

hedfone
B-Rank
This is a good time to remind everyone that the director might not play such a big roll in the individual elements you enjoy in your favorite action games. It is really the concept artists, gameplay designers, etc. that bring it to life.
I forgot the name of the head combat guy from GOW but he played a huge part from what I have read. Jaffe might have just came up with Kratos and nothing more, we really don't know.

Sent from Topic'it App

58God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 2 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion on Mon May 13, 2019 8:21 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Jaffe is a pretty big troll, but you also have to take into account that God of War is nearly 14 years ago at this point. A lot can change in a person's opinion in 14 years. The game itself comes with interviews included in bonus material, which are worth the watch.

Jaffe was more responsible for the overal vision. The appeal, and what niche the game should fill. Detailed mechanics are more up to the overal development team themselves.

Taken from a glorious article writen by an absolute genius:
A Game-Director is the man with the idea that guides the team, often through the game’s leads – Lead Designer, Lead Artist, Lead Programmer etc. – to make the game he envisions. He directs the team through the title’s development while keeping an eye on the budget and schedule, while also managing the team and their wishes. In short: he focuses on the big picture.

The Game-Designer creates the core features of said big picture. Directed by their Lead Game Designer they work from the decided upon concept to create characters, graphics, gameplay mechanics and more.

The person Hedfone is talking about is Derek Daniels (don't be a moron like me think its Daniel Dereks, that's nsfw apparently. Learn something new every day). Guy is mostly responsible for the combat mechanics in GoW1 and laying down the fundamentals.

59God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 2 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion on Mon May 13, 2019 8:58 am

Birdman

Ok but even so his post is all over the place.

What does he want?

No learning, and not hard, but not easy enough to be baby mode?

He already said he only cares for the 'DMC adventure'. What is this? Exploration? Story? If so, then why so worried about baby toy mode?

Last edited by Birdman on Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:14 am; edited 1 time in total

60God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 2 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion on Mon May 13, 2019 11:57 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
There's a big difference to what a man makes, and what he likes to play though. Kamiya loved GoW2018 and I doubt most even play their titles on the hardest setting. God of War 1 was made as a power fantasy that mash your way through. Just so happens to have a fantastic system and a higher difficulty that bites back.

61God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 2 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion on Mon May 13, 2019 12:14 pm

RedShot

C-Rank
Hedfone is right, the director is not a one man army, still I was surprised reading some Jaffe's opinions. Birdman and I had a similar reaction.

@Raeng Haha I remember that genius.

62God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 2 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion on Mon May 13, 2019 12:34 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
I watched him livestream a few times, he's a really interesting individual, pretty big pottymouth too. Even calling some trolls out to talk shit to him live haha! Guy was at the center of some sort of political attack at one point as I recall, not sure. The basic internet-drama, he said a thing, people didn't like said thing, it escalated.

Does he still make games?

63God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 2 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion on Mon May 13, 2019 10:30 pm

Birdman

There's a big difference to what a man makes
Sure but even then his post is a mess.

If you just want 'DMC adventure' why is being too easy baby mode an issue when you just said you don't care for difficulty or learning how to play?

64God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 2 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion on Thu May 16, 2019 5:54 pm

RedShot

C-Rank
Stuck at the clones on God Mode difficulty. I hate them, how did they pass the testing ?

65God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 2 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion on Thu May 16, 2019 8:21 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
They really showcase the bizarre nutjobbery of early PS2 titles. They just require a very specific tactic to beat. Personally the "translator" fight in GoWII is worse, that stuff was the hell-scape of nightmares honestly. Never again.

66God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 2 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion on Thu May 16, 2019 9:09 pm

hedfone

hedfone
B-Rank
I loved the Translator on GoW2, one of my favorite parts of a pretty disappointing game for me.
Though I only played on hard, so maybe that is why haha.

67God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 2 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion on Sun May 26, 2019 1:18 pm

RedShot

C-Rank
Got the platinum too. Challenges were way easier than I thought. The speedrun with Ares' armor and on easy difficult was very funny. I didn't know you could skip a lot of fights. Maybe I'll do some challenge runs in the future but I'd like to play its sequel now.

68God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 2 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion on Sun May 26, 2019 6:12 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
The costumes were really fun and I miss their unique charm. Cog of War and War Chef etc were all really fun, can you imagine current day Kratos be playable in a business suit wielding two suitcases? And for free? Different times.

I'd say try the other titles! GoWII is fantastic, as is the third part. The story is fun too, people tend to forget it really was the 'gaming epic' of its generation in terms of story as well. When three came out people were really looking forward to the conclusion of the tale.

69God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 2 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion on Sun May 26, 2019 7:21 pm

Nadster

B-Rank
I remember reading about the Spud Of War costume!

70God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 2 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion on Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:45 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
B-Rank
Been playing this since I did my NUR in GoW2, I’ve always loved this game a lot but I feel 2 really refined a lot of things. I probably should have played this first, but oh well. I can definitely beat VH in the next week or two.

71God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 2 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion on Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:02 pm

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
B-Rank
Decided to boot up the game again, and hit the part with the Cerberus and the dogs that turn into Cerberus. The Atlas challenge, I think it was called?

And Holy Jesus fucking Christ, I forgot how hard that part was. Any tips? I try to launch the dogs, and the slam them into the ground with the grabs.

72God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 2 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion on Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:10 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
You can watch my PAIN run on that fight here:

It is not easy. The best idea is to kill the little dogs first to make sure they don't grow into breeders themselves. Once they are dead focus on the leading dog with a grab infinite. You really have to be at the top of your game here. Whatever you do do NOT OH them (ground-to-air grab), instead do a regular grab and angle it to hit other dogs for collision damage.

73God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 2 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion on Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:15 pm

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
B-Rank
I beat it.

Used the age old tactic of grabbing the dogs, and throwing them at eachother to distribute damage as evenly as possible, with a few spells mixed in (Because I'm not very good at this game). Then, I just beat the big ones with standard attacks.

And I did not know that you could actually grab loop those guys. I'll keep that in mind on my next playthrough.

74God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 2 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion on Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:29 pm

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
D-Rank
Royboy: H-hey...who is that handsome man doing run evaluation in the comments?

Firm: Thought you were working on GoWIII. What has you returning to GoW1?

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/the-ultimate-god-of-war-union-bo

75God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 2 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion on Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:56 pm

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
B-Rank
Not really sure. I was just suddenly in the mood for God of War 1.

I have a very bad tendency to be distracted by other things... Applies to both games, and unfortunately, real life.

76God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 2 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion on Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:16 pm

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
D-Rank
Noted. What is the run? Vanilla VH? VH NUR+? VH PAIN?

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/the-ultimate-god-of-war-union-bo

77God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 2 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion on Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:45 pm

Omega ZX

Omega ZX
D-Rank
I'm playing GoW 1 again as a "background game" (the "foreground game" is still DMC 5 atm), it's been a long time since I finished it. Now I'm playing it on Hard, maybe I'll try and beat it on God Mode as well if I feel like it.

I'm not very far (just beat Medusa) and I haven't died yet (Medusa almost got me tho, she's super fast). I'm having fun, the combat design is very tight and satisfying, and the Hydra is still as impressive as ever. I didn't remember that standard grabs have i-frames, I thought only executions did. This is quite useful.

I've got a question: does dodging have i-frames, too? I'm sure that it does in 3 and Ascension, but I don't know about 1 and 2.

78God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 2 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion on Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:38 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Dodging has i.frames in the middle of the animation in all games, though it is mostly handy do avoid unblockable shockwaves imo - the game is more about blocking which is far more powerful. In GoW1 you can also i.frame on command by swapping to the Blade of Artemis, the animation is fully i.framed which is fantastic fun.

If you ever want to get going and have a ton of fun, and a healthy challenge, do a No Upgrade Run on God Mode before you call it quits. It really shows the game in a new light imo, highly enjoyable! Glad to see you having fun with the title!

79God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 2 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion on Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:46 pm

Omega ZX

Omega ZX
D-Rank
Thank you for the information. I know that blocking is the main defensive option in this series, but there are some unblockable attack (cyclops being an example).

I heard about NUR runs (and PAIN too, but I don't see myself ever doing that one) and I find them quite interesting. However, it was not my intention to get super deep into the game now, I just picked it up for fun and nostalgia and I will probably play the other ones as well. I have yet to play Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta, and I plan to do that, too. If I had to choose one GoW game to master and do crazy challenge runs, that would probably be 3.

That being said, I might also do a NUR run in the other games one day. I could begin by watching the one on your YT channel. :D

80God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 2 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion on Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:24 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
GoW III is one of the most fun games in the series to get good at since it has so many other fun tools like the airdodge and dash. It is a lot of fun to play the games this way but paired with PAIN it can take a lot of time away. As a result I've never touched the PSP games yet. I'm hoping the PS5 will run PS3 games somehow because I really hate using my PS3 at the moment.

Note that GoWIII also doesn't have a lot of 'oh god why' moments. GoW1 has quite a few really hard fights as well as the nigh impossible Clones, while GoWII has the translator fight that sends people in to suicidal rage. GoWIII only has the broken scorpion fight, but that's it really. Rest is just a lot of fun and great fights.

81God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 2 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion on Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:30 pm

Omega ZX

Omega ZX
D-Rank
On my first Hard playthrough I found the cerberus breeder with the satyrs way harder than the scorpion. Zeus is harder, too.

However, I agree about GoW 3 being really tons of fun, it's my favorite entry in the franchise.

82God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 2 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion on Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:09 pm

Omega ZX

Omega ZX
D-Rank
Wow, the desert part was far smaller and less confusing than I remembered it being. It took me ages the first time years ago, and I really don't know why hahaha. DS 3 has this same concept with Farron's keep, but that one can actually be pretty confusing (and it's also the worst area in the game imo because it slows your movement down).

However, I got the blade of Artemis and I must say, I'm not really a fan. Like, I appreciate it as a second weapon to mix things up since it is very different from the blades of chaos, it looks cool too, but from a mechanical standpoint I think that the blades are much more fun and versatile. The fact that they have grabs and parry in particular makes me use them pretty much always. Do the players who are into challenge runs use the blade of Artemis?

83God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 2 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion on Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:01 am

hedfone

hedfone
B-Rank
It is really great for keeping enemies juggled and in stun loops, here is a video with some tech.

84God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 2 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion on Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:22 pm

Omega ZX

Omega ZX
D-Rank
Finished GoW 1. Very solid game, the combat is deeper than most players think but you all know that. Still, I don't like the sections that involve traps or stuff like that, and I don't remember them being so frustrating in later games so the devs probably noticed, too. I don't really feel like replaying this one right now (might do God Mode in the future tho), so I'll probably jump into GoW 2, which for some reason I remember even less.

85God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 2 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion on Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:57 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
B-Rank
GoW2 is much improved imo, definitely worth a play on Titan if you have the time.

86God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 2 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion on Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:55 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
God of War 1 was really trying to spice the gameplay up, but as a result there are a lot of ‘oh god not this part again’ pieces. God of War 2 and 3 have these a lot less, so no worries there.

Regarding the Artemis Blade, it is mostly great if you use its other moves like the R1(? I think it was that button). Its regular attacks are so-so. But it is great for keeping foes in a juggle state as shown before.

87God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 2 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion on Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:40 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
The GamingbritShow is going to do a 6 part retrospective on a series, I pray to god it isn't this one. I don't think I could handle that.

88God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 2 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion on Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:15 pm

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
C-Rank
It could be DMC? Including the reboot there's 6 titles in that (counting 3/3SE and 4/4SE together).

I really need to play through the classic GoW games. I have the first HD collection on PS3, but haven't got round to playing it yet.

89God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 2 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion on Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:47 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
He's already done all DMC games though, I doubt he'll cover them in that much detail again though it wouldn't surprise me honestly.

90God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 2 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion on Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:04 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
B-Rank
“Not enough combos”
“Grabs aren’t flashy enough”
“Where’s the taunt”
“There’s barely aerial combat”
“Kratos is unlikable”

I can see it now...

91God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 2 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion on Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:39 am

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
B-Rank
The one criticism that he'll have that everyone else here will agree with is the unskippable cutscenes.

I'll still watch it, since I'm still interested in hearing his take (You know, maybe his opinion has changed, and maybe hell will freeze over).

92God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 2 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion on Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:24 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
That unskippable cutscene stuff I can relate too. Too many times have I seen Kratos walk up to Ares...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum