Dark_Blood_NG
Birdman
AKheon
Royta/Raeng
Gabriel Phelan Lucas
29 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 8]

251God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Sat May 27, 2023 8:43 pm

ZestyTaf

ZestyTaf
D-Rank

Raeng:
>Rating
Interesting.

>TKMO doesn't play
Huh? How's that?

https://www.youtube.com/@ExtremeGameplays1

252God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Sun May 28, 2023 10:14 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Was one of the original users
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

TKMO is more a curator of eastern content. He re-uploads a lot of challenge runs from bilibili, yuko, niconico etc. so that western players can get a taste. He always has the original playername in the description.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

253God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Sun May 28, 2023 10:27 am

ZestyTaf

ZestyTaf
D-Rank

Oh. Thanks for that info.
NG1 is done. NG2 (vanilla) is READY. I'll play it hopefully tonight.

254God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Sun May 28, 2023 2:40 pm

Omar73874928271728

Omar73874928271728
A-Rank

Should we take this discussion to you know…… the ninja gaiden 2 board haha?

255God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Sun May 28, 2023 3:10 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Eh, this isn't a giant forum with a massive userbase. I'm just glad if there's activity. Don't feel pushed to stay too focused on a specific game. Just enjoy talking shop guys.

256God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Sun May 28, 2023 9:52 pm

Omar73874928271728

Omar73874928271728
A-Rank

It’s sad to see in general people who miss what makes the old games great? Scale? No. Story? No(these are cool and all but they weren’t the true strengths in the originals), it was the gameplay. Even for the new games mainly raggy(best thing about 2018 is probably story I guess) is the combat. It just makes me sad to see people only make story related content(not a jab at those guys heck one of my favorite YouTubers is midgard chronicler who is pretty much a writer) and not much people making guides or cool tech in the combat, since it has a ton of that. Sure, there is gbg but tbh, gbg just makes pointless combos(they look cool, but are nothing special). His guides were fine. I did find out about some stuff from him. Really wish smvr would upload more tech videos and mob encounters rather than bosses(I know why, he told me it was because it’s what the people want sadly over well designed and complex enemy encounters which the game has).

257God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Mon May 29, 2023 3:27 pm

Zapan

Zapan
C-Rank

Zesty

> Gigadeath vs walky talkys

Well, you could argue Giga is better because it's shorter, and in NG+ you can dispose of him much more easily. But it's also much more frustrating than walky talkys.

> S rank

Isn't it about efficiency, though? That's what some people would argue, in fact: that DMC being combo based is a misconception. Indeed, it's definitely true for 1, where the style meter doesn't matter at all.

That said, I don't know, it just feels wrong to play DMC without going for ranks (except on your first or second run). Without that, vanilla DMC 3 would lack challenge.

> NG2 NUR

Yes, you can use items. And no, using them doesn't give you a worse rank. In fact, the system is FAR more lenient than DMC3, and it's questionable in its quality, as for instance it doesn't rank you based on how much Ninpo you used, only on how much you have lefr at the end of the level. Though you could argue its flexibility is a pro as well.

So you can use all Ninpo you want, then use an item to restore your Ninpo bar, and then end the level and still get max Karma points. In NGB your essence cap is 99k, so if you start the level with that amount of money, you'll get 0 Karma for currency. Here, you have a 999k cap IIRC  but farming essence is much harder.

Btw, there are no damage runs even for NG2, but I don't think they are worth it, nor fun at all. There is also a NUR on YouTube, but it's only for the first 3 chapters.

If you want to try it, you'll better have at least a few vanilla runs under your belt anyway. One advantage, though, is that you won't be spending money upgrading weapons, so you'll have more for healing items.

> MN bad design

And archers (seriously, they are obnoxious on MN), bow sections (the bow is another very questionable mechanic in NG), armored dogs' grab, those earth worms, red dragons being so spongy, and more. The Water Dragon is another highlight, I'd say.

Some other stuff like the Worm in Chapter 9, or shoiting those small flying demons with the bow, isn't even really difficult, just bad/boring.

Overall, NGB on MN is almost a joke compared to this one on MN. The really frustrating moments in Black are few and far between, but here? It's in almost every damn chapter.

258God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Tue May 30, 2023 2:05 am

ZestyTaf

ZestyTaf
D-Rank

>Feels wrong
It really doesn't. Some enemies on DMD NUR+ are cracked. With that said, you CAN go for ranks. It's not that hard, as you know.
People usually mistake it for requiring a lot of combos and all that, but it's much more lenient than that.
Hitting multiple enemies, taunting, and delivering finishers boosts up the style meter. One 'Million Stab' can grant you a nice SSS if used properly on a crowd.

Back to the whole 'pointless' argument, it's really not. There's clearing a room efficiently WITH mission rank in mind, and there is clearing a room just efficiently. Both are rewarding. Both have their own points.

I don't personally go for high mission ranks. Sure, i try to never get hit and maintain my style in the middle of a battle, but putting fast clear time AND red orbs in mind for S ranking a mission is just... not my thing. I could do it as a challenge one day, but never a thing i always keep in mind. Especially time. I don't like getting rushed in combat. Collecting red orbs? Why is that altering the mission rank at the end?

All and all, i constantly try to maintain my style in fights. Taunts, changing up attacks, and all the good jazz. I just don't have mission ranks in mind (goes for Bayonetta, too).

>Items
That's good. So it's resource to manage and use smartly. I thought it was like DMC's items for a second.

>Do it
That's gonna have to wait. As you noted, a lot of vanilla runs and practice needs to be done before diving into challenge runs.

259God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Tue May 30, 2023 2:27 am

Omar73874928271728

Omar73874928271728
A-Rank

>Challenge runs
Trust me when I say this, it’s probably gonna take you a couple of years in order to get fully comfortable with challenge runs. The game is that fucking brutal.

260God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Tue May 30, 2023 2:38 am

ZestyTaf

ZestyTaf
D-Rank

We'll have to see. If i put my mind to something i love (which in this case, i do), i go far.

"And my dick runs deep, so deep. So deep, put her ass to sleep" -Ice Cube

261God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Wed May 31, 2023 12:44 am

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
A-Rank
God of War
Expert on all things God of War

>Zesty here
>NG talk
>Zim with the avatar adjustment
>need to catch-up with Zapan, Yatta, etc.
>tons of videos to work through still for 'various'
>got own runwork to do with memes upon memes
Busy times. All this and the Gokeks must be REMINDED.

262God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Wed May 31, 2023 11:16 am

Zapan

Zapan
C-Rank

Zesty

> DMD ranks

I know, you don't need to use uber combos, the hardest part is not getting damaged, in fact I never got a SS rank for that reason. Does red orb rank include having to destroy stuff in the environment (e.g chairs)? IIRC that was the case with DMC 4, and it was very annoying.

But it seems to me that, without ranks and with upgrades, the game wouldn't be very hard, as you could always farm for items and spam holy waters without that kind of motivation.

Granted, the game on a NUR should be extremely hard anyway, but unlike GoW, those kind of runs don't seem to be fitting for DMC.

Also, tips for mastering jump cancels' timing (especially with Killer Bee, which seems to be the most damaging aerial attack)? Good job on Vergil anyway, you were very close to beating him without getting damaged.

> Items

Yes, but you need to be careful with using them, as you can't just repeat missions to farm essence, and unlike with NGB and Sigma 1, you can't use enemies like Ghost Fishes for farming. NG2 is also less generous in giving you money after a UT, as it's based on hit count here.

Last edited by Zapan on Wed May 31, 2023 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total

263God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Wed May 31, 2023 11:24 am

ZestyTaf

ZestyTaf
D-Rank

GMG:
>Zesty here
Bro's acting zesty alluva sudden.

264God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Wed May 31, 2023 11:39 am

ZestyTaf

ZestyTaf
D-Rank

Zapan:
>Red orbs
That one, i don't know. I just know that it counts towards the mission rank, and that sucks.

>Farm for items in vanilla
See, that wouldn't be fun nor rewarding. It's still challenging in vanilla if you're trying your best to look 'elegant' while playing. Not just "bang bang bang, pull my devil trigger".
I'm always trying to not take damage when playing. DMC3 is not just styling and all that, it also rewards elegance and beautiful plays.

>Unlike GoW
Oh yes. PAIN runs? DMC? These two in the same sentence? Nah.

The farthest you can go with pushing a challenge would be NUR+ No Style.

You CAN do PAIN runs, but it would take forever and wouldn't be so much fun. Also, a whole lot of exceptions i'm afraid.

>Tips for mastering jump cancel
>Killer Bee
This one just needs practice. It's pretty straight forward, you jump a LITTLE after the hit connects.

The real JC's that REQUIRE mastering would be the SM Beowulf attack in the air, and the normal A&R attack in the air.

The former, you go from jump to attack as fast as you can, but not from attack to jump as fast as you can.
Try sliding your thumb from the jump button to the style button rhythmically, not 'pew pew pew pew'.
The hit takes a little bit before it connects, if you jump early, the hit doesn't connect.

The latter (A&R) is the same philosophy, except try doing it faster.
This one SHREKS fools when used correctly (it FUCKS the Beowulf boss fight).

Again, you go from pressing the jump to the attack button AS FAST AS POSSIBLE, but not vice versa. You gotta wait for the hit to connect. It'll click with you with enough practice. Practice it and the Beowulf one on a hell vanguard or on Beowulf himself.

There's shotgun JC that also FUCKS. Same thing here.

Jump - Shoot (as fast as possible)

(Little delay), then Jump - Shoot.

This is as best as i can put it to words. Hope it helps.

You like styling in the game just like me and everyone else, correct? I'm sure you'd be interested in Cerberus' air attack JC. It both fucks and does nice damage. Also, it's good since you get that weapon early on.

Same thing, except a longer delay after your attack connects. The catch with all JC's is that you have to start the (Jump - Attack) process THE MOMENT your hit connects.

Whenever you master the whole (Go from jump to attack AFAP, repeat WHEN hit connects), you'll learn to balance yourself if you're falling off or if you're higher than your enemy.

Sometimes you see your attacks whiff against the hitbox (try it out against the chess peaces). The best call there is to let Dante fall a teeny bit, then resume the Jump - Attack process again.

It's all about rhythm, and every move differs from the other.

>Verge ND
I did a much better attempt right after the one i recorded (while the video was rendering) and i squashed his ass ND.

EDIT: Speaking of JC's, whenever you get the timing right and it clicks with you, you're gonna LOVE playing as Vergil. NONSTOP FUCKAGE. His aerial rave attack with the Yamato is DA GOAT. Pure damage and speed. The ultimate storm.

265God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Wed May 31, 2023 11:43 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> ranks in DMC
DMC1 was pretty elegant, as you could actually use items if you were good. Items tanked your rank, but not enough that S wasn't possible if you scored well in other categories. DMC4 just made them in-game cheats to a degree which is a bit of a 'why even include them then'.

DMC3's ranking system is neat, and stressful since you have to do a whole chapter in a single sitting, making some a legit nightmare to SS. I think with ranks like that it is better to see it as a neat reward for playing, than a goal. If you aim for SS you will burn out or resort to a ton of dull resets and safe strats. My favourite memories of the game were just replaying stages with cool setups and suddenly getting an SSrank because I played well on that run. In general that's more my method. There's no rush, we all hopefully have long lives ahead of us. You don't have to check all the boxes today.

266God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Wed May 31, 2023 12:34 pm

Omar73874928271728

Omar73874928271728
A-Rank

What is the easiest and hardest gow game? For me, easiest is 2018 and hardest gow 2.

267God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Wed May 31, 2023 12:42 pm

ZestyTaf

ZestyTaf
D-Rank

Raeng:
>Don't have to check the boxes
Yessir. I have it in mind, but it's never a thing that gives me up, and more importantly, never a thing that lets me down.

Omar:
>Diff
Easiest: Chains of Olympus
Hardest: Ascension

268God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Wed May 31, 2023 12:55 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I was legit amazed by how brutal Ascension could be even on vanilla difficulty.

269God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Wed May 31, 2023 6:16 pm

ZestyTaf

ZestyTaf
D-Rank

Parrying does help a lot, but the game is generally difficult. I love the PS2 era lookingass encounters and enemy combinations. It sometimes (Shoulder of Apollo) doesn't give a fuck about your feelings (Trial of Archemedes).

270God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Wed May 31, 2023 7:19 pm

Zapan

Zapan
C-Rank

> items and ranking

Of course I was just pointing out that possibility. I always try to go for SS rank, but if I get a S or an A, I move on. I generally refuse lower ranks, though.

I generally don't use items, though I was forced to against Arkham a few times due to those damn flying worms (or penises, or whatever they are).

> NUR

Sounds boring, imo, at least in GoW you have collisions helping you (not in, 3 alas). Especially with how spongy enemies tend to be (unlike in GoW and NG) on DMD.

Can't imagine what PAIN would entail. Rebellion only? Pistols only? No styles?

> JC

So after the first hit connects press jump and then slide between jump and attack?

Thanks btw.

>  Styling

Eh, I tend to agree with people like GMG that doing that is a waste of time (and I feel that mindset is why games like GoW, and sometimes even NG, don't get the respect they deserve), or at least suboptimal, though I don't deny it has value just to get some more fun out of the game. For me JC is more about gaining a good damaging tool (as in your Vergil video).

Granted, it will take long before I touch DMC3 again.

> Vergil

Never played much with him, but I always hear he is OP, especially if you learn to use his Summoned Swords well.

> Ascension

How much harder is it compared to GoW 2? Because on my first VH run I died over 300 times in that game (and something like 270+ for GoW 3).

Raeng

> SS

So you just experimented with different setups on later playthroughs instead of repeating missions over and over? Maybe I should do that too (when I replay the game, which will take a while). And having to do it in one sitting is exactly why I leave DMD alone after a certain point (especially mission 12, though next time it should go better). Were it not for that, the difficulty would be less frustrating for me, as I tend to dislike having to repeat long missions.

271God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Wed May 31, 2023 8:11 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> experimentation
I used to have a tool that I made (badly) that would generate a random stage+2 weapons+2guns+style for you to play. I tried rebuilding it to fit Bayonetta, but couldn't get all the options to work.

It was a lot of fun, sometimes I'd get really wacky 'builds' like play Mission 4 with Agni+Cerberus+doppleganger+rocket+artemis or some shit. It really made you enjoy the game more, more than an arbitrary run for SS would give you. I do have the game mostly SS'd, I think on the PS3. But I've since swapped to the OG PS2 release.

> Vergil
He's so busted, it's hilarious. Bosses were not built for his setups at. all.

272God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:03 pm

ZestyTaf

ZestyTaf
D-Rank

Zapan:
>Flying penises
Man! Those are dolphins... or are they?
*Vsauce music*

Arkham is very formulaic. Just needs the right equipment and patience. My NUR+ taught me the whole fight. Shooting him makes Vergil attack (you can even use lock on type shooting, so holding forward and shooting makes Vergil do rapid slash), shooting in the air makes Vergil do the starfall, so on.

I think the best DPS (even tho your main focus should be patience and watching out for his tentacle hentai attack **good audio cue**) is 'shoot, shoot, analog back shoot, shoot'

I cover this in the last part of NUR+ for DMC3 on my channel... live (somehow).

>Boring
It's really not. I greatly recommend it. Playing with dirty tricks and tactics to get by in some spots, learning new stuff and optimal approaches, and many other things. I recommend it.

>Collisions
>GoW3 not having them scale up
Sure, but it has the battering ram which is a great replacement.

Besides, the equipment in GoW3 is the shit! Bow of Apollos fucks. Same with the Cestus, as you know.

>Blade sponges
YOU decide that while playing DMD. If things go right (with enough practice, they do), you destroy rooms without chipping away for hours.

>PAIN
GMG have talked about this before. His idea was to separate it to categories. SM PAIN, GS PAIN, RG PAIN, and TR PAIN.

Just... no. Not using Cerberus' element advantage and GREAT damage on some foes? Not DESTROYING fools with A&R? Shotgun cancels, my beloved...

Just no. Big no, for me.

>After first hit connects
You slide your thumb from jump to attack THE moment your attack connects. It does switch up for some weapons tho.

>Vergil OP
A big reason why he didn't have a NUR uploaded, until we got one a month ago.

>How much harder
GoW2 is a close second. That game still catches me slippin' from time to time. I just feel like with Ascension, things go wrong more often. It's just a bit harder than 2.

Raeng:
>Randomizer
Dude! I wish i had a good PC to try stuff like that out. Although, i could randomize stuff for myself in my own way.

I have a randomizer series for GoW3. I go to the combat arena, select the enemies while looking away (i cycle through the roster and stop at random). I also have limitations and all that. Good stuff.

273God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:49 pm

Zapan

Zapan
C-Rank

Zesty

> Flying penises

I don't know, considering how long they are, maybe they are nigga penises.

> Arkham strategies

Noted

> GoW 3 collisions

I also think that the BR mostly compensates for that flaw, and CG is amazing too. It's a shame that that entails less variety in what grabs are viable to use, even more so when combined with the questionable changes to OH (though I still find it useful for enemies like MInotaurs, Wraiths, and fiends).

The bow rocks even at level 1, in fact I never upgraded it in my VH runs.

> PAIN

Yeah, it doesn't sound fun to do that, considering DMC's more creative nature. Maybe that could be viable in NGB. 2 though? No way.

> Vergil

I was referring to him as a playable character.

> Ascension

I heard the Trials of Archimedes are especially brutal. What makes me stay away from that game, though, is the developers' questionable, if not outright idiotic design choices.

> GoW 3 randomizer

I saw some of your randomizer videos, definitely increases the game's replay value a lot. It's a pity that most other action games didn't have anything like GoW 2 and 3's combat arena at the time. DMC introduced it with the 2012 reboot (unless you mod DMC4 on pc), and no NG game has it either.

And even then, it's not really a combat arena, just a training mode with no customizable challenges.

274God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:38 pm

ZestyTaf

ZestyTaf
D-Rank

>GoW3 OH
It's a whole approach dedicated to fucking up the enemy you're harpooning. A good call. What good is a knockback when the collisions are not scaling?

>Bow
The best of tools. It SHREDS with its very nice damage, speed, and accuracy.
Also FANTASTIC for shattering statues. Just perfect.

Don't even get me started with the held input for it. Inferno? Fucks. One arrow can clean an entire room if used efficiently.

Phenomenal piece at level 1, and even better at level 2. A shredder.

>Talking about playing as Vergil
Yes, i get it. You pointed out how OP he is, and i replied by saying there is no NU runs for him becuz, frankly, the guy's broken. Just set the shooting input to L2 and go HAM on enemies, even at level 1.

>ToA W1
Yup. This fucking stage.
Those Sirens should NEVER be used like that. Ever. Even 2 Sirens together ALONE is pushing it. That's a fucking tank that shouldn't be doubled in an encounter, ESPECIALLY not with a Hooded Gorgon. Just stupid design choice. They designed it around a vanilla run with optimal use of items and magic, rather than optimizing it in a way that has no upgrades and no relics in mind.

It's still pretty easily doable, but that's if you've practiced it enough. It also takes a LONG time if you don't know how and when to ring out the Sirens. Sux.

275God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:36 am

ZestyTaf

ZestyTaf
D-Rank

It's 2:30 in the morning and i just wanted to say, Clone War NUR+/PAIN is IMPOSSIBLE on the PSVITA.

Launcher's BEAUTIFUL hitbox? Nonexistent. Sometimes, there would be 2 clones infront of me, i launch, only one gets launced.

Clone tries to grab you and the best choice is to trick? You gotta get that touchscreen workin'

On the vita, you have to touch the upper left part of the screen to summon Arty... which made fighting Ares feel like hell. Clone war? You bet your ass, that muscle memory is gonna kick in and you'll try 'L1 + R1'... which DOESN'T work on the vita. The ONLY way to summon Arty is by touching the upper left part of the screen.

Expect a lot of false 't0' as well. At times, very bad framerate (which is also the main reason behind the launcher getting fucked).

The launcher is crucial. Sometimes, you're hitting 2 or 3 clones and they have armor. The best course of action is to act quick and go for the launcher, since it does not give a fuck if clones have armor.

This also hilariously sucks for the starting setup. You usually launch the clone in the upper right at first, followed by the one on the left trying to hit the fam. Trying to use the launcher makes it hit the family and completely ignore the clone :D

Gave it a quick 'nope' and closed the game. Let's leave Clone War to PS2 and PS3.

276God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:10 pm

Omar73874928271728

Omar73874928271728
A-Rank

What do you guys think of Cerberus breeder in 1?

277God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:36 pm

ZestyTaf

ZestyTaf
D-Rank

Biggest problem i have with'em is the fucking air grab not doing FIVE TIMES the damage. It's an infinite that fucking takes long.

278God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:39 pm

Zapan

Zapan
C-Rank

ZestyTaf wrote:Biggest problem i have with'em is the fucking air grab not doing FIVE TIMES the damage. It's an infinite that fucking takes long.

Unless you're doing a PAIN run, and assuming you're talking about GoW 1, why do that when you can petrify them or ring them out? Granted, if you are doing a PAIN run, you can't ring them out in the first encounter.

279God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:21 pm

ZestyTaf

ZestyTaf
D-Rank

>PAIN
Yes. That is the only issue i have with them. PAIN/PAIN+ issues can be nitpicks at times, but this one is not.

Grabs that can be infinitely looped but do poor damage for no reason just hurt me. Look at the Siren Sybils in Ascension. You need to grab these guys ~20 times EACH to get rid of them.

280God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:49 pm

Zapan

Zapan
C-Rank

ZestyTaf wrote:>PAIN
Yes. That is the only issue i have with them. PAIN/PAIN+ issues can be nitpicks at times, but this one is not.

Grabs that can be infinitely looped but do poor damage for no reason just hurt me. Look at the Siren Sybils in Ascension. You need to grab these guys ~20 times EACH to get rid of them.

What's the best strategy against them on PAIN/PAIN+?

Grabs seem to be very weak in Ascension indeed, with the Battering Ram not being that effective either, unless you go for a wall finisher. Which is part of the reason I hesitate to play that game.

Sirens take 20 grabs each to be taken out? That looks like a real chore, especially because you can't freely grab them, unlike Cerberus Breeders in 1.

281God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:23 pm

ZestyTaf

ZestyTaf
D-Rank

>Best strategy
It's pretty obvious, really. The first time we meet him, we use his puppies for collision damage (Cerberus Seeds grab collision is HALF. Not a full collision).

Second time we meet him near Poseidon's trident, Ring out.

>Weak grabs
Never understood that decision. It makes grabs that were SUPPOSED to deal a good chunk of damage... suck.

>~20 grabs for Sirens
This is the safest way to take them out in the encounters where we face TWO at once (a very poor decision). This enemy was never meant to be doubled in an encounter. And to think having two Sirens AND a Hooded Gorgon in one space... foolishness.

Anyways, you rage dump on them to get the white halo (when there's two), and you go back and forth, grabbing one after the other to their inevitable death. Grabbing them in their white halo stuns the enemies around, and so you go back and forth between them until one gives the red halo and dies. 101? There's a safe infinite against her. Launch, light, light, launch, repeat.

282God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:23 am

Zapan

Zapan
C-Rank

Zesty

> Cerberus Breeder first encounter

Noted. But how do you prevent puppies from growing into adults by that strategy alone?

> grabs

It's almost like the people who made PSP GoW (save for, in part, GoS) and Ascension didn't understand that grabs and collisions are what made the main trilogy stand out compared to all other action games, to the point that, to my knowledge, no GoW clone has succeded in replicating, let alone surpassing GoW's grab system. Though I do think that LoS 1 (one of those clones) is a very good game overall.

283God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:18 am

ZestyTaf

ZestyTaf
D-Rank

>Prevent
I try aiming for other puppies as well. If you grab one and hit another with it, the puppy that gets hit dies with one grab. Basically one shot in grab standards.

>Grabs
>Collisions
Not just that. Grabs in GoW are the best in all of gaming, in general. Ground to ground grab, air to air, ground to air... bruh.

Option select on the fodder enemies...

Allowing resource management THROUGH the grabs (Minotaur for HP, Gorgons/Sirens for MP, etc), so that the grabs are not JUST taking an enemy out safely...

Giving extra, lovely red orbs...

Later on, GoW3 expanded the fuck out of it with grabbing grunts. Grab killed a Gorgon? Everyone is petrified. Grabbing a Cerberus or Cyclops? The phenomenal ride mechanic, baby.

It kept getting better and better. Ascension did a very nice upgrade as well, but whoever was behind the 'numbers' (damage values) fucked stuff up. Otherwise, Ascension still has the amazing grab system.

The collisions scaling with EnemyPower% being removed is sure a fucked thing. GoW3 made up for it with the amazing Battering Ram, but what of the next games?

Ascension's throw is still really good, even tho collision damage is like, 5. It causes a whole lot of enemies to bounce off walls nonstop. Really good for ring outs and a bunch of things.

Chains or Olympus? Didn't even HAVE collision detection.

GoS? It had collision detection but the damage is... i think the poorest? Understandable, since it was done by another studio.

284God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Temple Sirens Despawn Glitch Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:03 pm

Dante™

Dante™
D-Rank

So i've been practicing The temple sirens lately and i noticed that sometimes after the cutscene ends the siren on the far left dies and despawns.

i would love to know if there is a consistent way to manipulate this glitch since it helps a lot with the spawning pools control and reduces the fight's difficulty.

285God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:42 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Can't personally add to that question, just want to say welcome! Hope you enjoy the forum, you've already got a classic and killer avatar!

286God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:57 am

ZestyTaf

ZestyTaf
D-Rank

Welcome, Donte. I hope you get your answer soon. Temple Tyrants are not my thing.

287God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:28 am

Zimnas

Zimnas
D-Rank
God of War

A rare case. I've seen it maybe once or twice. As far as I'm aware, there is no way to consistently have it occur. Even if there was, it wouldn't be allowed in challenge runs (same way you can't de-spawn the Archers in the rotating bridge crossing in the Cliffs of Madness).

288God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:49 pm

Dante™

Dante™
D-Rank

> Zesty And Royta
Thanks For the welcome guys !

> Zim
- consistency/manipulation
i kept experemnting and i just found out today that it can indeed be manipulated
The trick is to have krate's body be in the spawn location of the 2 siren (1,2,3 from left to right)
Everytime i roll or jump there, the left siren (1) consistently always despawns

- unallowed in challenge runs
Thing is on My wining attempt on PAIN ND, the despawn thingy happened (wasn't intentional as i was yet to discover how to manipulate it)
Therefore i should redo that fight

289God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:50 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Knowing how it happens also allows you to avoid it, so think it's useful info to not void a run by mistake. If I understand it correctly, Kratos can thus despawn enemies by being on a spawn location. Might be handy for speedruns?

290God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:23 pm

ZestyTaf

ZestyTaf
D-Rank

>Handy for speedruns
Didn't know of the 'strat' when i did my NU+ Speedrun. Huge time loss there, lads.

291God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:03 am

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

>Dante
Welcome to the forum.

>glitch
Didn't know this existed.

>handy for speedruns
Can't imagine it being any faster when you have PR Lv 2+ and MP regen to get rid of the pools at the same time. Maybe in NUR+ speedruns, but if following GMG's ruleset, it wouldn't be allowed either (as Zim notes). Perhaps the same could be said about 'glitchless' variants.

292God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:51 am

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
A-Rank
God of War

>depends on rules
Correct. If just doing a challenge run, but fast? TUGOWU. If joining SR to get placed? Theirs. Simple enough. With the latter, you're going to be asking a lot of questions. The former? You know the run, just do what is permitted there (while trying to quick about it).

>unexisting
A grey area depending on the details, granted. We permit x3 rapid petrification to kill Desert Sirens. If one just stood on their spawn? Probably not so much that. Even blocking the spawn of their help would be pushing it (on a delay, not full prevention). The line between minor and major exploitation blurs here. Generally we don't like people doing things that prevent them from having to do fights (skipping is frowned upon, but expect in speedruns). The others? Don't think they feel the same.

>weird glitches
Plenty that have been reported never got figured out (GoWII Zeus still has a few notables).

293God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:24 pm

Omar73874928271728

Omar73874928271728
A-Rank

If they were to remake gow 1, what are your biggest fears(outside of walky talkys since I have a feeling that would be the most common fear) and hopes for the remake?

294God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:41 pm

ZestyTaf

ZestyTaf
D-Rank

Fears: Them making it.
Hopes: Them making it.

295God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:54 pm

Omar73874928271728

Omar73874928271728
A-Rank

Thought so, I have no idea how it’s gonna be handled. If they were to make it the new style, I wonder how arty would function in it.

296God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:04 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> GoW1 remake
I doubt it'll happen. If they do it my biggest fear is that it for some reason becomes a multipart series like GoW1.1 and GoW1.2interlude, GoW1.3finalfight and so on, streching in. I have zero hopes. The original is perfect as it is. Don't change it.

297God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:43 pm

Omar73874928271728

Omar73874928271728
A-Rank

>becomes multi part series
What? Do you mean like they would remake the trilogy as a whole? Highly doubt they would do that with 3 due to how incredible it looks(it’s a ps4 game and the best ps4 exclusive by far).

298God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:10 am

Paul Allen's Profile

Paul Allen's Profile
C-Rank

>remake
Good that I don't have any high hopes regarding series' future. I wrote it off as soon as I was done with God of Soy.

If they were to remake the God of War, all the tech that we have would go down the drain. It would be compeletely different game. Since we all know that the general public sees GOW as "Plume: the game", so they wouldn't bother to reverse engineer all the things that we know. And they will give it generic 3rd person camera, because casuals seethe when they see any kind of static camera angles.

299God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:32 am

Omar73874928271728

Omar73874928271728
A-Rank

Fair points.

300God of War 1 General Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: God of War 1 General Discussion Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:11 am

Zapan

Zapan
C-Rank

Omar73874928271728 wrote:If they were to remake gow 1, what are your biggest fears(outside of walky talkys since I have a feeling that would be the most common fear) and hopes for the remake?
They shouldn't remake it. The GoW trilogy aged very well overall.

Well, okay, maybe they could remake 3, and most importantly fix collisions, OH, and petrification. Replace Skorp with gods like Artemis and Apollo, or keep him but just don't have his grab turn into an attack taking away half of your healthbar.

As for 1, just fix a few details here and there (such as Arty's delayed block) and add more areas, weapons, grabs, and general moves.

I think they should make it in the old style, but better. No RPG systems, no OTS camera, and keep it a shorter, more linear experience.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum