Hyperfist/Malcar
RedShot
Royta/Raeng
TaiTsurugi
HotPocketHPE
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

51Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Thu 24 Mar 2022 - 2:22

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

>video
Greatly appreciated, thanks a lot. Pretty clean fight. I definitely need to use the backsteps more to reposition. Also the final blow with Wivern Fire is always great.
After watching this I retried Rathalos with the GL, and it went much better. The charge isn't a big problem since he basically does it every time, so you either block or get out of the way. I didn't see a difference in turning speed for different moves however, or at least, it seems very small.
Also Rathian seems easier than Rathalos imo, since she doesn't fuck off in the sky for 10 minutes and the triple fireball is a great opening for the head.

>Advancing slash (forward + Tri)
Yeah, best GL move hands down. The resist against wind pressure is golden and 34 MV is pretty great for a move with that range.

>using advancing slash to dodge the charge
I also need to practice this. I'm always afraid that it won't go far enough and that the charge will hit me regardless.

>In general fast head turns = charge, slow head turns = fireball
As I said earlier, I didn't see this with Rathalos. It seemed that before doing a flying move he would turn more slowly, but I'm not sure. Also he only does the fireball at a pretty big distance, but maybe you can also bait him while you remain closer to him like you did with Rathian.

>I treat them like DMC items
Interesting. What about barrel bombs and such?

52Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Fri 25 Mar 2022 - 22:49

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

Got to High Rank (the cat's missions). Shen Gaoren was pretty boring but I liked the sense of scale the fight provides, even if it was on the easier side of things. But holy shit they buffed the monsters a lot for HR. Was destroyed by a Khezu just now. I also didn't expect them adding new moves to the monsters. Definitely catched me off guard.

53Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Fri 25 Mar 2022 - 23:31

HotPocketHPE

HotPocketHPE
C-Rank

>Rathalos head turn speeds
I'm pretty sure it gives you some info somehow, I'd have to check again though.

>rathalos flying
Yeah this is lame. For setup weapons like GS and hammer it's a giant free opening when hes landing though. For all weapons stand under him during the flying moves and nothing can hit you.

>items
I'll use the bombs if they give them to me sometimes, it's kinda just if I feel like it. I made a fun SnS set around putting the monster to sleep then waking them up with a triple damage buffed bomb, that one is funny.

>Shen
Its boring. If you ever need to kill him a lot pierce HBG destroys him because it gets to the weak point inside the shell.

>high rank
Stat wise this game does not fuck around, stuff hits hard and fast even after you upgrade armor. Also the village high rank quests actually use the G rank monster AI which is fun.

54Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Mon 28 Mar 2022 - 1:40

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

>For setup weapons like GS and hammer it's a giant free opening when hes landing though
Yeah, I've noticed that there are a lot of opening for GS/Hammer in general. Might start using GS too along with LS and GL if some monsters get too difficult for those.

>stuff hits hard and fast even after you upgrade armor
I'm still with Low Rank armor and these fuckers are destroying me. I beat the one eared Garuga and it gave me hell. Tried like 6 or 7 times with both GL and LS without using items but after a while I said fuck it and used 10 Flash Bombs and 3 Shock Traps. At a certain point you just want to see the fuckers die. Will definitely try again with High Rank armor and Skills, but it will take a while to grind.

>the village high rank quests actually use the G rank monster AI which is fun
Didn't know this. So they still have the "taunt" animations even in G Rank?

55Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Mon 28 Mar 2022 - 6:58

HotPocketHPE

HotPocketHPE
C-Rank

>scarred garuga
Yeah this is a noob killer haha. I have a Lance hunt against him in G rank earlier in the thread, but that's with Evade Dist Up which definitely changes the playstyle. Very tough until you're really used to him.

>pick up GS
The game is more fun when you play different weapons IMO, it lets you experience all the cool movesets and pick good matchups if you're getting frustrated. Plus the non-guarding melee weapons can all use the same armor sets. GS is a great weapon, encapsulates a lot of the Monster Hunter ethos.

>taunts
They do sometimes, IIRC not that much though, especially if you're putting them in rage a lot (very often in G rank). The AI might not be the exact same in high rank village and G rank, I just remember them using the G rank moves which also surprised me.

56Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Tue 29 Mar 2022 - 2:06

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

>I have a Lance hunt against him in G rank earlier in the thread
Yeah saw it. Evade Dist Up seems very very useful, especially for Lance which has 3 consecutive evades. Wonder if it's worth it for the GL.

>weapons
GS emphasizing positioning and timing to such a degree really describes this game/series perfectly. Might prefer the Hammer but we'll see. Also interested in the Bowguns but they seem pretty complex regarding shot type, recoil etc.

>I just remember them using the G rank moves which also surprised me
As far as I've seen everyone has at least one new move, which I didn't know was a thing till now.

Continuing Village HR and after that fucking one eared beast now the rest isn't so bad. Definitely the highest jump in difficulty so far. Tigrex ain't shit compared to this.

57Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Sat 2 Apr 2022 - 0:11

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

Beat Nargacuga. Not as bad as I tought it would be, only carted once (even though I used all of my healing items). Top tier monster but I have to learn how to dodge consistently.
Now grinding for the Narga weapons and the Ceanataur S set. I have all the monster materials for the armor and only need to farm bugs, which is pretty annoying.

58Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Sat 2 Apr 2022 - 19:26

HotPocketHPE

HotPocketHPE
C-Rank

>narga
Yeah it's a classic. Good gear too, that'll get you Evade Dist Up from gems if you go that route.

>attacks
You can tell which arm it will pounce with by either which arm it has in front while it's charging, or what direction its side hop goes. The spacing is pretty important, too far away from the pounce and you'll get caught in the wingblade dragging across the ground, which has a massive lingering hitbox. Being super close (like to the side of its head) is also dangerous but you can iframe pounce from there if you hit a tight timing.

Tail slam's tracking biases to one direction (I forget which) unenraged and the other enraged.

>bugs
Haha I know exactly which damn bugs you mean. It's annoying but with fast forward shouldn't take too long.

BTW are you using the FUComplete patch? If not you should check it out, the P2G blood is so good. https://github.com/FUComplete/Patch

59Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Mon 4 Apr 2022 - 11:28

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

>are you using the FUComplete patch?
I'm emulating base FU, even without DLC. I will get it but it seems complicated (something to do with using another person's save file and I'm afraid it will delete mine).

>the P2G blood is so good
So that's why some videos I've seen had that much more blood. It seems very cool. Is the save file the same between FU and P2ndG?

Also one question. I got the Ceanataur S armor with attack decorations and now I have AUL, which is great, but does it stack with the felyne kitchen buffs or am I better off eating other recipes?

60Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Mon 4 Apr 2022 - 16:28

HotPocketHPE

HotPocketHPE
C-Rank

>FUC
You shouldn't need to use anyone else's save, just get the P2G ISO and run the patcher that's in the releases in GitHub. FUC uses the FU saves so you should just be able to run it in PPSSPP and keep playing your save just like before.

>armor AtL vs food AtL
They stack, armor skill one gives way more raw. Demondrugs overwrite food AtL though.

61Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Thu 7 Apr 2022 - 0:19

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

>FUComplete patch
Will definitely do. It's worth it for the peddling granny upgrade alone (no more raw meat farming).

>They stack, armor skill one gives way more raw
How much is it for the food buff and armor buff? If I had to guess I'd say 10X class modifier for the food buff and 20X for the armor skill.

Advancing through High Rank. Forgot how to fight Tigrex and got owned multiple times before I finally got the hang of it. Being very close to him to bait his other attacks other than the charge was key.
Rajang was also pretty tough, but fortunately he still takes decent damage pretty much everywhere, so it's not super important to hit the head. Evade Dist Up would have been great there since sometimes I didn't manage to get out of his punch combo with the GL. Also I liked how he doesn't jump around too much a la Blangonga, which I feared he would do.
Also fought LR Teostra. He's basically a Lunastra reskin, maybe with one new attack and without the tail whip explosions. Pretty disappointing (but still the best fight in the game imo).

62Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Thu 7 Apr 2022 - 1:48

HotPocketHPE

HotPocketHPE
C-Rank

>how much raw
Armor AtL is 20, food one is like 5-10 or something. In FUC there's a cheat to show true raw for everything, I recommend it as the class display modifiers are annoying.

>Teostra
The main difference moves-wise is that the charge startup from Luna gets removed. A couple hitzones get shuffled around and the stats are probably higher. Luna is basically the singleplayer only "easy" version of Teo, similarly to Monoblos and Diablos. They probably didn't both need to be in the game though.

>Rajang
Amazing fight. If you enrage him he gets a lot more predictable, he has some wacky patterns too like slam (only becomes pattern when you're in front of him) -> jumpback ball -> beam. I fucking love the hammer matchup, here's a crazy video about it:

63Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Thu 7 Apr 2022 - 8:03

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Was one of the original users
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Just wanted to pop in here and say it's cool to see you guys talk so passionately about MH. One day I'll join in but not this day haha.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

64Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Fri 8 Apr 2022 - 1:16

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

>Armor AtL is 20, food one is like 5-10 or something
Both stacked plus power seed should give a pretty nice boost then.

>In FUC there's a cheat to show true raw for everything
Noted. This will be nice for sure.

>If you enrage him he gets a lot more predictable
Didn't know this. Also watched the video and was surprised at how predictable he is after certain moves. Have to try going clockwise against him. I did it already with the GL but I got hit more often since you have less mobility than with the hammer.
Regarding the video, I love how wacky some of the weapon designs are in this game.

@Raeng
>One day I'll join in but not this day haha
Get it man, really a fantastic ARPG. It's up there with the big boys.

Continuing High Rank and unlocked Gold Rathian and Silver Rathalos. The weakpoint change was interesting. Also you were right, they turn differently before doing an instacharge (this applies to Garuga as well), don't know how I didn't see it before.
Also got a timeout against the one horned Diablos. I checked his stats and holy fuck. Who thought it was a good idea to give a single player HR Diablos G Rank stats? I wished I knew this sooner since I lost a bunch of time for no reason. At least I got a tail carve.

65Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Fri 8 Apr 2022 - 16:01

HotPocketHPE

HotPocketHPE
C-Rank

>raeng
No worries man, I've still only played a few hours of NGB myself. All in good time.

>1 horned blos
I actually beat this with hammer in high rank, was like a 40 min clear or something though where I ate shit. It's just a fun optional challenge quest, in P2G (and by extension FUC) it gives a unique armor set. If you didn't know beforehand though I can see it being frustrating.

There's a hub one too, I haven't done it myself though.

>gold
Really like this fight, sniping wings is fun and you can do some really cool stuff with positioning for the tail flip.

>silver
Flies too much tbh, probably warrants a flash for some weapons. Good way to practice spinning golfswing timings on hammer though.

Glad to hear you're enjoying things!

66Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Fri 8 Apr 2022 - 23:54

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

>you can do some really cool stuff with positioning for the tail flip
I like how she sometimes follows up the fireball attack with the tailwhip. It keeps you on your toes.

>probably warrants a flash for some weapons
The normal flying attacks aren't too bad since you can use that time to both use items and punish while he's landing. The long fly attack is just annoying.

>Glad to hear you're enjoying things!
Yeah, it's a pretty great game. I've seen that people tend to favour the third gen more compared to the second one, but the reason they give are pretty shallow imo (hitboxes, instant charges etc.). Will probably try P3rd after this to see what all the fuss is about.

Also, forgot to mention, is there any reason to pick other food buffs other than meat + veggie (+40 health, AuL)? The others seem either pretty situational (elemental resistances) or weak.

67Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Sat 9 Apr 2022 - 4:39

HotPocketHPE

HotPocketHPE
C-Rank

>food
I ate the 50/50 food for a while because I didn't want to make steaks haha. Attack L is generically the best but some of the cat food skills can be useful (like Heroics, Martial Arts, the ones that give more money/items, etc.) so you can match your cats' specialties if you want to go for that.

Also for Heroics or Adrenaline you actually want less max health since it triggers based on a flat value, so it can be relevant then.

68Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Sun 17 Apr 2022 - 22:22

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

Alright! Finished High Rank (beat Akantor). Farmed lots of Silver Raths and Gold Rathians for the Gunlance upgrade, and yeah the Silver bastards are annoying even with Flash Bombs. Shen Gaoren is still boring and I managed to actually slay him under the time limit, with like 2 minutes remaining.
Akantor is a pretty great fight. Fought him with the dragon Gunlance, had to use 2 Max Potions, 18 Mega Potions and carted twice. He probably has a bit too much health, but it's fine since he's supposed to be the final boss of the solo part of the game.
Not done with the game, far from it. Will continue with the Guild Quests and there are lots of fights I want to master. Still have to kill Lao Shan Lung for the Charms upgrade, probably going to do that next.

69Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Sun 17 Apr 2022 - 22:54

HotPocketHPE

HotPocketHPE
C-Rank

Nice! Looking forward to your future thoughts.

>akantor
He is really hard at first but has way more openings than it looks if you know how to position, I can kill him in <15 mins in village with hammer. For example with the roar you can just walk away then go back in after a bit and hit head. When he tail sweeps you can follow head and hit it. Etc etc

>silver
It gets boring yeah. Even then I still usually have some fun because the game's fundamentals are good.

>lao
Make a hammer and armor with wind res, then set the emulator to 125% speed for funny golf swing gameplay.

70Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Sat 23 Apr 2022 - 2:33

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

>openings
With the GL I found some setups and could hit him pretty regularly. That shield is a blessing.

Also fought Lao, twice. Didn't know he was required for the Guild HR. He's pretty bad. At least I made the talons. I also didn't know that you could carry both the talons and the charms and that those would stack. Pretty cool.
Now moving up to Guild HR. Not too much to say here, same thing as before but with monsters with more health. There are still some elder dragons I didn't get to fight, like Kush and Fatalis. Looking forward to those.

71Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Sat 23 Apr 2022 - 16:10

HotPocketHPE

HotPocketHPE
C-Rank

>lao
In case you need to do it again for mats (you finished the last required one), here's the video. Add emulator speed and shake well for best results:

>kush
Pretty enjoyable IMO, make sure to hit the head.

>fatalis
As a fellow human being I recommend trying it once and then never again.

72Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Tue 26 Apr 2022 - 18:56

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

Taking Guild HR slowly. Got to the dual Tigrex quest and forgot how to fight them, again, so I spent some time trying to find consistent strats with both Long and Greatsword (will start using GS more in general now that I managed to craft a decent one). With LS I saw that if you align with the Tigrex head before he's turning you can do a Fade Slash and end up under his left arm, so you're pretty safe against all of his attacks (even when enraged) except the roar and you'll bait him into doing a tailspin sometimes which is a nice punish opportunity. The roar and the ice attack are also a good punish window and I noticed that when he's enraged and jumps twice he'll taunt afterwards everytime. This is great for a Lv.3 charge with the GS. Speaking of the GS, with it the strat is much more simple, simply use his turning animation to charge and smack him in the head. Much more precise though. Overall a fantastic monster. It's kind of insane how much faster he gets when enraged. The funny thing is that sometimes the non enraged state is more dangerous, since his animations are slower so if it hits you he can combo you more easily.

>maze vid
Noted. I will need a good hammer apparently.

>you finished the last required one
I think I need to kill another one to unlock Fata, could be wrong.

>I recommend trying it once and then never again
He's that bad uh? Didn't seem so tbh. Are Crimson and White any different in term of moveset and behaviour?

73Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Wed 27 Apr 2022 - 1:26

HotPocketHPE

HotPocketHPE
C-Rank

>tigrex
I love just how oppressive he feels, it sells the whole design so well. With GS you can actually do a positioning trick where you hit head with the side of the blade to set up a safer roll afterwards. It's even trickier than the normal way though. Here's an Akuda video:

At 0:50 you can see him do it to get stagger buildup and roll away from the jump, then cashes in to interrupt the charge afterwards.

>fatalis
Black Fatalis is just really really boring, you can kinda make it more fun with certain weapons but the AI is insanely janky (it's basically unchanged from gen 1), he loves to fly, and the hitzones are all terrible except head. Crimson and White have a couple different moves but they also have a mechanic where all hitzones go to 10 while enraged (Crimson) or for the middle third of its HP (White). Since damage dealt still counts on Fatalises even if you fail out, sometimes people will run in with max combines for barrel bombs, use everything, fail out, rinse/repeat.

The 4th gen and 5th gen ones are a lot less bad, MHW Iceborne Fatalis is actually a really great fight funnily enough.

74Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Mon 2 May 2022 - 16:20

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

>Akuda video
This dude's a monster. Rolling under Tigrex's arm without Evade skills. I can barely do it.

>Black Fatalis is just really really boring
Yeah, fought him in HR recently. He seems to ignore you most of the time and does ridiculous damage.

>MHW Iceborne Fatalis is actually a really great fight funnily enough
I saw a few vids of the fight and while cool I was more interested in the MHW mechanics and how it seemed like a normal cuhrayzee action game compared to FU and even 4U (from the little I remember of it).

Ok, finished Guild HR. Not too much to say about since, since it was basically like Village HR but with spongier monsters (and without some other moves). Akantor was a bitch like usual, but I was a bit faster than last time and carted only once. The tail ended up in a place where I couldn't carve it, which fucking sucks but it is what it is. I could have just used a Hammer, but I wanted to do it with the GL and without the guard poking cheese, which was more rewarding (also no Flash Bombs).
Also fought Rajang a bit more to better understand the fight. He's great, no doubt about that, and the GS was much better than the GL for that fight. Might try the LS next time.
Now I'll have to find some good armor sets and grind away. Already the dual Ipno Urgent took a long time partly because of my shitty gear, so that will take a while.

75Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Wed 4 May 2022 - 5:57

HotPocketHPE

HotPocketHPE
C-Rank

>Tigrex roll under arm
That's actually not that bad, it's mainly about being in a good position when he starts charge. The iframe through the leg during double bite is way harder and riskier.

>Akuda
He's a monster yeah, tons of other vids on his channel.

>MHW
Kinda, it's more lenient in a lot of ways (can roll-cancel potion drink, weapons have generally faster moves). I wouldn't really call it that similar to DMC personally except that it's sorta faster-ish. I'm not a huge fan of it but it might be worth a shot to see if you like it.

>G rank
I do love the G rank.

76Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Thu 5 May 2022 - 21:53

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

>The iframe through the leg during double bite is way harder and riskier
Yeah I was talking about that. The charge isn't so bad to dodge.

>I'm not a huge fan of it
Why is that? I've seen a lot of conflicting opinions on this game. I've also seen that you rank GU in the same tier as FU. What makes that game so good in your opinion? I've seen footage of it and it intrigues me a lot tbh.

Finished the first set of G rank quests. I desperately need some good weapons and armor but I still don't have access to some of the materials I need. Not only do I take a lot of damage, but I deal crap damage too. I took 39 minutes to kill the Narga urgent with the LS (tried with the GS first and failed after 30 minutes). Granted, I'm not using traps or flashes, but I probably should until I manage to at least get a decent weapon (I have my sights on the Copper Blangonga LS, will farm for that for a bit). Also I was thinking about getting into HBG (for Diablos, Kirin and Gravios mostly), already read the Mazereon compendium and did some of the training quests. I just need to farm for a some decent ones.

77Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Fri 6 May 2022 - 4:58

HotPocketHPE

HotPocketHPE
C-Rank

>Tier list
I would probably update that these days. GU is still cool but its got a shitload of problems, and it's been ages since I played 4U so I don't really have a formed opinion on it anymore. GU has some absolutely superb fights (Valstrax and a bunch of the Deviants) but also is really imbalanced and the progression is kinda lame. Still a good game, and a lot of the styles/arts are really cool if you're into that, but not as solid as FU IMO.

>World
Oh boy.

Ideas are good (return to grounded aesthetic, no load zones) but execution is horrid. Animations have been smoothed/blended almost everywhere which takes away from the snappy, precise feeling of old MH. Campaign is AAA hellscape of annoying characters and unskippable (without PC mod) cutscenes.

Difficulty curve is atrociously easy in base game. Monster AI is really random, head turns are long gone and instacharges even more so. You can now sprint while drinking potions, and can roll to cancel out of them, so you are basically completely uncommitted, and max potions now have one of the fastest item animation speeds in the game. At camp you can refill your item pouch at anytime, which breaks a ton of game systems and forced them to add strict time limits for the last few monsters, so people would actually have a chance of failing out.

Maps are crazy annoying and filled with slopes, ledges, cliffs, and cramped terrain, but unlike FU you can't reliably control the monster's movement so you're kinda SOL unless you use dung bombs to make it leave a bad spot. Monsters besides the quest target (which are present almost always) will run into your zone, roar to stun you, the target monster roars, the invader roars, and then they'll often just leave, which gets really old.

Tons of weapons got trashed IMO. GS now has a ton of its damage in this triple charge slash thing that needs way too much setup, so you can only really use it during a trip or get lucky by randomly throwing one out. LS is now focused on hitting generous iframe windows to give you full meter + great movement + long invincibility, and then dumping the meter with this janky jump move. Bowguns are now a shitty 3rd person shooter (even more than they already were lol), and item restock completely breaks the ammo system. Iceborne expansion's bad mechanic (clutch claw) was retroactively applied to base game unless you mod it out on PC.

As you can see I'm a bit bitter, I have to add a ton of restrictions for it to even feel like an actual MH game. And Tai probably hates it even more than I do lmao. Again though, it might be worth picking up on sale (or acquiring on the high seas) to see if you like the style, it's definitely more "reactive" if that's your thing and plenty of people find it fun.

>G rank stuff
Oof, 39 min narga is rough. Copper blangonga LS is really strong, definitely a great option once you get there. The G rank ore weapons (like Punisher GS) are a good option for early G rank, especially with good-old broken Sharpness+1. HBG sounds good for those three, Blos is also plenty doable with melee if need be, once you learn the dig setup.

78Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Sat 7 May 2022 - 12:37

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

>is really imbalanced and the progression is kinda lame
Let me guess, hunter arts and certain styles are too OP? I've been thinking about the next MonHun to play and I dunno if I should go for P3rd or GU (or even 4U since I already have a save file where I completed LR village). Speaking of 4U, I saw that Tai doesn't like it very much but it seems to be a favourite among both old and new players alike.

>World
Noted. It doesn't really interest me too much (same as Rise) but after I'm done with some of the other games I could try those, even just for online play since I don't think there are many people available on FU/GU/4U (on emulator).

>39 min narga is rough
I don't get why I'm so slow. Sure I'm not being as aggressive as I should, but even if I was doubly as aggressive I would have still took 20 minutes, which isn't ideal I feel.

>Blos is also plenty doable with melee if need be
I tried with all my melee weapons (LS, GL and GS) but he just takes forever to die. My problem is that I either go for the tail or nothing, when I should also be hitting the legs when available. There is still a lot of polishing to do for my playstyle.

Got the C.Blangonga LS and hunts already got significantly faster (5-10 minutes faster) and I'm trying to be more aggressive. Also I have a plan for the armor set. Mixed between Ceanataur Z and Narga X, so I should get Sharp Sword, Sharp +1 and Evade +2, great for LS. I'm afraid that once I get the evade skills I will become too dependant on it though, but it would make my life much much easier against some of those fuckers.

EDIT: retried Narga and beat him in 22 minutes. Pretty sizable improvement I'd say.

79Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Sat 7 May 2022 - 18:29

HotPocketHPE

HotPocketHPE
C-Rank

>GU
Some of the arts/styles suck, others are OP, and some are just overly gimmicky. They also mess with a few base weapon movesets (Lance, CB) so you're stuck between a rock and a hard place there.

>4U
I would try it at some point, maybe Tai will annihilate me for this but it seems closer to the FU ethos than most, even despite it's stupid stuff.

>P3rd
It's FU-lite in 3rd gen from what I played, high rank only though. I didn't get that far though because I got distracted by other games at the time.

>narga
20 mins would be great for having High Rank gear, ofc speedrunners can do better but that takes tons of practice. 22 mins with G rank stuff is solid. In terms of your play, it's hard to tell without having a video or some sort of example.

>blos
Hitting legs is part of it but you also need the dig setup. Basically the idea is that blos can't turn around much underground if you're directly behind it, so it just comes up near where it started. So if you're quick enough you can get reliable tail hits like that. Here's Akuda, at 11:40 and throughout the whole fight:

>armor
Evasion+2 is really strong, but as you noted it can build reliance habits (I don't use it with melee for that reason + I like iframing with evasion+0 rolls). You can always switch off later though so it's no big deal.

80Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Mon 9 May 2022 - 1:53

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

>GU
I see. I imagined that with that much variation with the movesets the balance would not have been great.

>Blos setup
Noted. I already noticed that the guy will go to your last position before digging (and changing a bit after that), but with cutting weapons you immediately cut the tail and it gives you a lot less to work with. The hammer doesn't have this problem (maybe I should try it).

>Evasion+2 is really strong
I managed to complete my set (S+1, Sharp Sword and Evade +2) and yeah, some attacks become jokes with it, even without Evade dist up. It's basically DaS now.

81Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Fri 13 May 2022 - 12:39

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

Got to the G3 quests. Yama was fun if a bit spongy, but it's the best giant monster so far (not that the bar was that high). Lots of cool mechanics and some interesting moves to dodge.
Now for the main event, I managed to get 2 gunner sets and 2 HBG (the Narga and the Yama one). One set has Auto-Reload, Evade Inc and +2 and the other Pellet S UP, Evade Inc and +2. I did this only because of Diablos and Gravios. Tried the Auto-Reload set against the dual Black Blos and got absolutely bodied, didn't know that Auto-Reload increased recoil THAT much. Tried again with the Pellet S UP set and went much better. Did the quest in 18 minutes without carting, which I would have never managed with GL or LS (or even GS for that matter). With A-R I only got 2 shots in, while without it I got 3 or 4, and there are enough openings where reloading manually isn't a big deal. Made me appreciate the Blos fight more, even if his moveset is a bit basic if you are too far (no tail spins and no horn attacks). Can't wait to humiliate Gravios soon. I hate that bastard.

82Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Sat 14 May 2022 - 6:34

HotPocketHPE

HotPocketHPE
C-Rank

>18 mins 2 bblos
Lmao, pellet is hilariously good on them.

>auto-reload
It doesn't increase recoil on normal or elemental shots (because it's a multiplier and those shots have 0 recoil, I guess). It's absurd with those, with pellet/pierce not so much as you found out.

>gravios
Allergic to pierce or water. Very tanky though, don't run out of ammo.

83Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Sat 14 May 2022 - 22:22

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

>pellet is hilariously good on them
Yeah it's absurd. Managed to get all the materials I needed for the King Artillart Sword very quickly. Might also craft the Diablos Z armor just for the sake of it. Those skills are pretty great.

>It's absurd with those
I tried it with Normal 2 against Rajang and it's pretty busted tbh. I need some kind of elemental bowgun and I've seen that the Lao Shan one is pretty good, but on the flipside you have to farm Lao Shan, so I won't be getting it (for now at least).

>don't run out of ammo
Didn't have any Water S capable HBG so I just used N2 and P2 and 3. Took around 30 min without bombs or traps, which is still great for me. And I'll never have to fight him again.

Trying bowguns more and did the G rank Final Invitation mission with it. Tried with the GS before but with no success, same with the LS. I managed to beat it with the Yama Bowgun with 2 carts, and only because of the last Rajang. They aren't that bad with Evade Inc and Auto-Reload, but the size difference between the two really caught me off. I tried to evade the big one's punching combo as I would have done for the little one and got hit. I like that you have to adjust so quickly, makes for a fun challenge. Did it in 23 minutes. Will have to do it a bit more since I want the Golden Shin armor for my GS. Breaking the horns will be a pain, I already know that.

84Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Wed 18 May 2022 - 22:36

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

Continuing G rank. Did the Epic Hunting Quests to unlock the Elder Dragons and HBG proved useful in some of those. It completely destroys Narga, which is nice. Also killed Gypceros in something like 3 minutes, completely unfair. Also fought Chameleos with HBG and it's a fun fight, melee was more engaging but I need ESP to not get an aneurysm.

Teostra though, oh boy. G rank Teostra might be the hardest monster so far. People complain about instacharges all the time, but the ones Rathalos, Rathian, Garuga etc. have are actually telegraphed by the turning speed or the little repositioning they do before the charge, but the one Teostra has is actually instant and not telegraphed at all, meaning that you can't safely hit the head, meaning that you lose DPS and some stagger opportunities. The fire aura he has deals so much fucking damage, and now he can do a homing explosion during one of his few otherwise safe openings. Heard that HBG isn't that great against Teo so I'm out of ideas. Might try guard poking the head with the GL, but I still take damage from the fire aura and some of his attacks still deal good damage even when blocked.

85Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Thu 19 May 2022 - 3:16

HotPocketHPE

HotPocketHPE
C-Rank

>HBG
Yeah its pretty damn strong, both in general and on certain matchups. Jang kinda gets wrecked by auto-reload circle strafing, it's pretty funny. HBG was what I used my first time I played G rank, good memories of planning my ammo out for the epic hunting quests.

>Final Invitation
Super fun quest, I agree. Size differences lead to strategy changeups without hurting the core of the fight.

>Jang horns
Try the Golden Rajang single quest? Might be easier to get both horn breaks before killing him, IDK.

>Teostra
Try GS or Hammer. Teostra is probably the second hardest or hardest monster to gun in the game (only rivaled by Tigrex) because of crazy instacharge, difficulty in getting head stagger to break fire aura, and unfavorable hitzones in fire aura.

The more you can get head trips, the better, especially if you get enough of a sense to not overshoot the head stagger threshold while it's already tripped. Hammer destroys this fight because you will alternate head trips with KOs, but GS will also get the job done.

86Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Sat 21 May 2022 - 18:53

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

>Try the Golden Rajang single quest?
That Rajang has a pretty high defense modifier, so it takes longer to break the horns. In the end I got all I needed from Final Invitation. Still beat Furious Rajang, I like it a bit less than the normal version since he doesn't have the contrast of unpredictable normal mode and predictable rage mode. He's always predictable but in turn can one shot you pretty easily, so it's even more tense.

>Try GS or Hammer
Yeah I used the GS (after getting a good armor set for it) and it was still pretty hard, but much more doable than LS or GL. In general you need to be very precise since he moves his head around a lot, and the fucking charges.

Also fough G rank Kush since I needed some of his materials. I don't like the fight very much. He's like a more annoying Teostra, instacharges, jumps back a lot and flies around a lot. At least Teo has a couple of pretty big openings while Kush doesn't, so I had to resort to the good old flashbombs. First time using them in G rank, but he's always in the air and doesn't give you an opening after landing the same way Rath does. The only monsters I'm missing now are Uka, Crimson and White Fatty, after that will probably call it quits (for now at least).

87Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Sun 22 May 2022 - 8:32

HotPocketHPE

HotPocketHPE
C-Rank

>Kushala
It's basically a question of how much you can keep it head tripped. If you can, it's not too bad IMO. 4th gen one is worse lmao.

>Quits
Sounds good, glad you enjoyed some of the game. It's got a lot of problems for sure but it's really unique and fantastic when it works.

88Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Tue 24 May 2022 - 19:41

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

>4th gen one is worse lmao
I wonder how many monsters got butchered over the years vs how many actually got improved.

>glad you enjoyed some of the game
For sure. There is still so much content between Event Quests, Epic Hunting Quests and trying out new weapons/builds.

Finally defeated the Ukanlos. Yesterday I tried for like 2 hours with every weapon and equipment I have but to no avail. Today I got him second try (the first one ended after 5 minutes because I died too quickly). I used the Makluva + Rajang set with the GS, killed him in 33 minutes, which from what I understand isn't too bad. I actually calculated how many lv.3 charges to the head I needed to kill him and the number was about 50, which I was counting as the fight went on to not lose my sanity. Pretty great fight, different enough from Akantor I'd say. I know I said that I wanted to hunt the Fatties but after this I'm pretty satisfied, will take a break from the game for a while (probably). Clocking in at just over 200 hours (some of them were speed up but I also retried a lot of hunts without saving, so they even out), but almost every minute was well spent. I'm also happy to not have used flashes, traps and bombs for the most part, made the fights much more engaging and made me appreciate the monsters more.

89Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Thu 26 May 2022 - 7:57

HotPocketHPE

HotPocketHPE
C-Rank

Congrats on the win! Ukanlos is a tanky one, gotta endure quite a bit. For first clear 33 mins isn't bad at all. Good call on Crimson/White, it's just not worth it IMO. 200 hours is a journey for sure!

90Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Thu 16 Jun 2022 - 17:02

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

Turns out I wasn't really done with the game. Finished all the G rank quests and also did some event quests. Tried out multiplayer and it was fun, but now I really think I'm done. I'm thinking about starting another MH, but I'm a bit lost. I found my 3DS and have 4U on there. Replayed it a bit just to see what it was like and apparently I finished all the village LR quests. I tried to fight Tigrex and I don't like how sometimes he can do a 180 and charge, and you take a lot less damage in LR compared to FU. Since I already have HR unlocked I don't know if I should continue 4U or start GU (which seems more appealing). Are 4U and GU similar? Which one do you think is the best?

91Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Sat 18 Jun 2022 - 1:57

HotPocketHPE

HotPocketHPE
C-Rank

>4U
IIRC it gets quite a bit harder in high rank. Also if low damage taken is your main gripe, you can avoid using armor spheres (I sometimes do this for newer MH).

>tigrex
Yeah he's kinda weird for that reason, after 2nd gen I don't think they really knew what to do with him. Brute, Molten, Grimclaw are all pretty fun though.

>4U vs. GU
GU has styles and arts obviously, deviants, hypers, as well as a ton of monsters. 4U has subspecies, frenzy, guild quests. Even for monsters that are in both 4U and GU, the AI is often different between the two games. Been too long for me to say which roster I like more. 4U maps suck (the guild quest ones are fine), GU maps are a lot better on average. 4U progression is probably harder overall, while both games have pretty difficult optional content, GU especially. 4U has external editing tools to make custom quests with, which is good fun.

>what to play
I would try HR for a bit in 4U, then go to GU if it's not hooking you. Alternatively there is P3rd, which is pretty FU-like but in 3rd gen. If you play that you'll definitely need to keep your defense low though.

92Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Sun 19 Jun 2022 - 11:33

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

Alright, will try 4U Village HR and see how it goes. I also completely forgot how to use CB, so relearning it should be fun. Thanks!

93Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Wed 6 Jul 2022 - 23:49

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

Ok so, while playing other stuff I've been working on something. Since I've never really done anything particularly difficult when it comes to games, I've decided to put and end to this, and to do that I wanted to solo the infamous Twin Terrors (dual G Rank Golden Rajang in the Arena at the same time) without flashes, traps, or anything that can affect the monster (not even smoke bombs) and, most importantly, no separation. Initially I tried to use the Fatalis Bow with a Focus and Capacity Up set, but after hours of attemps I've only managed to get one Rajang to just below half HP. So I've watched some videos and saw one dude using the Diablos Bow (Pierce instead of Rapid, so it has more effective range) with an Evade set. Tried that and after a couple of hours I got it. I had to use the cheat to show the HP to not lose my sanity (and to better track which Rajang I was hitting, might try to do it without in the future and maybe record as well).

It was mad hard. Took something like 15 minutes to kill the first one. Sometimes they will coordinate and there is nothing you can do about it. Their most dangerous attack is the zig zag jump, since sometimes you'll be on their left or too far, and dodging it becomes tricky (even though you can roll under their left arm at the end, but it's not easy). That's why Evade Inc. and Evade +2 were a must, otherwise it's just too luck based. I admit that after trying without Evade when switching to it it almost felt too easy, but then I remembered that I was up against two Golden Rajangs at the same time and went for it. I could have probably got it with the Fatalis Bow but I would have had to grind for something like 20 hours. Also it was a dick move to use the SSJ2 Raj for this quest. I find him easier than the normal one since it always has the rage mode AI, which is more aggressive but much more predictable, but with two of them it would have been nice to have had some breathing room.

Anyway that's done. I already said twice that I'm done with FU, but the reality is that I will probably come back to it sooner or later. The game's just too good.

Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Twin_t10

94Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Sat 9 Jul 2022 - 0:56

HotPocketHPE

HotPocketHPE
C-Rank

Awesome dude! Doubles are crazy, especially with something like Rajang where you really have to watch your positioning in advance. And ofc you just can't make many mistakes at this level, I imagine most big stuff 2-shots you while putting you at risk of getting set up on.

FU is a classic for sure, great challenge run potential too. I still want to do Hunting God's Free For All one day, it's definitely possible.

95Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Tue 12 Jul 2022 - 14:40

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

>you really have to watch your positioning in advance
That was really hard since sometimes they end up in opposite directions, so you have to go to one Rajang's right without seeing it. Sometimes you also have to go to their left and end up getting hit by the zig zag jump. There is a good amount of luck involved with this quest.

>I imagine most big stuff 2-shots you while putting you at risk of getting set up on
With this set you can get hit three times by the zig zag jump and there is no attack that one shots you (rage mode excluded). The thing is that once you get hit you have to Farcaster back to heal, otherwise it's too dangerous, but sheathing the Bow takes a long time and you can easily get hit during it. Also it's not fun getting hit by one monkey while the other does the electric beam while you get up.

>I still want to do Hunting God's Free For All one day
It's the next one on my list. I always liked these marathon quests and 5 G Rank monsters all in one go is pretty insane. Still have to unlock Monster Hunter.

96Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Mon 25 Jul 2022 - 15:31

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

After Twin Terrors I decided to try something a little different. I wanted to do the Monster Hunter village quest (G rank Rathalos, Tigrex, Narga and Rajang) with melee high rank gear (also high rank defense). At first I tried with the GS, which is great for Rathalos but poor for Tigrex since he doesn't stagger with a lv.3 charge. The only way to do it is by positioning in a way to hit him horizontally and then avoid him, but it's pretty hard to do. So I tried Hammer instead, which is worse against Rathalos but better against Tigrex. The problem is that since you do so little damage you need to take some risks in order to complete the quest in the required time, making the quest harder than it should be. Also the monsters can be pretty uncooperative. Rathalos can fly around and charge for ages, and so can Tiggy. Using savestates after defeating each monster I got to Rajang with 8 minutes left, which wasn't enough for me.
I could try LS maybe, but it's proving to be quite harder than I thought. The increased defense of G rank monsters really makes it hard to stagger them, making me play more cautiously and thus slowly, which I can't afford. If you take more than 10 minutes in this quest per monster you are pretty much screwed.

97Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Tue 26 Jul 2022 - 1:05

HotPocketHPE

HotPocketHPE
C-Rank

Sounds pretty brutal! Yeah Tigrex is gonna be hard, GS is still probably doable if you go that route but you'll need to get very good at those side hits on the head. I would go Hammer, the KOs are invaluable on a multi monster quest like this where they'll each start with the normal threshold. Also don't forget you can capture to save a bit of time if you can guess their HP.

You may have found this video already, but Mazereon did this challenge with Heroics LBG (he had tons of time left over so you probably don't need heroics), so you could also go that route if melee isn't part of the challenge rules.

It's not really TA but this guy does it with SnS sleep bombing:

If you succeed be sure to record it, it would be pretty impressive!

98Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Thu 28 Jul 2022 - 14:07

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

>you'll need to get very good at those side hits on the head
I can't seem to get them, the positioning is too precise. If you get closer to Tiggy it's easier to hit him but you'll be exposed against the bite attacks, and if you are too far you simply whiff, which isn't great since you only have 11 minutes or so for every monster.

>you can capture
Didn't think about this. I guess I could do it if the challenge turns out to be too hard for me.

>so you could also go that route if melee isn't part of the challenge rules
I'd like to try melee since I think it's harder with HR gear. With G rank gear it's arguably easier to melee since Tigrex and Rathalos are a pain to gun, but with an LBG like maze did it's not that hard.

>this guy does it with SnS sleep bombing
I'd like to avoid bombs if I can, but I've noticed that a lot of people use them in these multi monsters quests. If I can't do it it's either capture or bombs to shave a bit of time off.

>If you succeed be sure to record it
Absolutely.

99Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Sun 31 Jul 2022 - 14:27

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

In the meantime I managed to beat Hunting God's Free For All. I had Evade Inc., Elemental Attack Up and Auto-Reload active (good skills but my God is the set ugly) and Felyne Aim for that Normal S buff (not really necessary but it saves a couple of minutes overall). Elemental Attack Up is invaluable because of Gravios, it shaves off so much time. All in all not too bad, can't imagine doing it melee though. I know Akuda did this quest with fucking Low Rank gear, truly insane https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMEA9e-N5fg&ab_channel=AkudaMhp2g
Also did it without carting which is nice. Narga and Tiggy were the biggest walls, since they are always jumping around. Once you beat Tigrex the rest isn't too bad.
Now only Monster Hunter with HR gear is left.

Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Huntin10[/url]

100Monster Hunter games pre-World - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Hunter games pre-World Sun 31 Jul 2022 - 20:01

HotPocketHPE

HotPocketHPE
C-Rank

Nice, yeah it doesn't seem too bad gunning. I would probably try Hammer myself, Grav is actually kinda fun on Hammer sometimes.

>Akuda
What the fuck...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum