Infinity_Divide
Royta/Raeng
hedfone
Birdman
Nadster
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 5]

201DMC5 General Discussion  - Page 5 Empty Re: DMC5 General Discussion Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:08 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Veteran
Was one of the original users
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic

I'm planning to, but not until I get a PC or PS5. Only have PS4.

Load times were pretty horrible on PS4 and when I heard there would be a special edition I sold it.

But I want to play it again. I think DMC5 Dante might be my favorite.

202DMC5 General Discussion  - Page 5 Empty Re: DMC5 General Discussion Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:15 pm

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
A-Rank

Every so often I'll see a YouTube video for DMC5 pop up and think "I should give that another play some time" but end up playing something else. I did enjoy my time with it but when I tried DMD I got really bored with how inflated the enemy HP values are.

I really like Nero in this game, and the Breaker system too. I like the idea of planning a loadout for a mission, thinking about what fight you'll use the Break Age move (I think that's what it's called - the big one where you sacrifice the Breaker), but then if you mess up you've got to improvise with what you've got left. The expansion to Nero's kit in this game means I'll probably never play DMC4 again, he's just so bland there in comparison. This game makes DMC4 redundant for me, I liked Bloody Palace but the main mission mode in 4 really isn't very enjoyable IMO. Not that 5 is a masterpiece, but I like it a lot more.

203DMC5 General Discussion  - Page 5 Empty Re: DMC5 General Discussion Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:34 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

I love DMC1 and 4's locations.

204DMC5 General Discussion  - Page 5 Empty Re: DMC5 General Discussion Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:56 pm

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
A-Rank

It does have some great ones, it's just a shame that Dante's half of the game is near enough exactly the same as Nero's. It's a good looking game, especially for the time it came out too.

205DMC5 General Discussion  - Page 5 Empty Re: DMC5 General Discussion Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:07 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

I loved 4's locations so much I was happy to go through them again.

I often hear many hate this.

206DMC5 General Discussion  - Page 5 Empty Re: DMC5 General Discussion Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:05 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> dante's half
How are we living in 2022 and these games (B3 included) still don't understand we want to play as all characters in all stages...

https://stinger.actieforum.com

207DMC5 General Discussion  - Page 5 Empty Re: DMC5 General Discussion Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:48 am

Memes of Monsoon

Memes of Monsoon
D-Rank

Traversing the levels with same layout but in reverse is boring. The issue is exacerbated because Dante is unfun in 4. Seems Capcom ran of out of ideas for the second half of the game.

208DMC5 General Discussion  - Page 5 Empty Re: DMC5 General Discussion Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:49 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> Seems Capcom ran of out of ideas for the second half of the game.
From what I recall, they originally planned it to be just Dante, then switched to it just being Nero, but initial panel-tests came out negative so they added Dante back in. Probably add in budget and deadline issues and there we are.

Still weird that even in the re-release and sequel this option still isn't there.

209DMC5 General Discussion  - Page 5 Empty Re: DMC5 General Discussion Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:13 am

Memes of Monsoon

Memes of Monsoon
D-Rank

oh wow they chickened out. i guess that explains why the game is messy. I wonder if budget/time constraints affected 5 because they didn't put much effort on levels in 5 either.

210DMC5 General Discussion  - Page 5 Empty Re: DMC5 General Discussion Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:42 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I'm really, really curious about behind the scenes dealings regarding DMCV. The game clearly had a lot of love and time put into it, yet it still retains a ton of DMC4's flaws like reused levels, not being able to use all characters in all stages etc. Really curious what happened.

211DMC5 General Discussion  - Page 5 Empty Re: DMC5 General Discussion Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:09 pm

Jackie Estacado

Jackie Estacado
C-Rank
Survivor

so, i bought Vergil. it's on sale so i saved a whopping $1.26

>How are we living in 2022 and these games (B3 included) still don't understand we want to play as all characters in all stages...

i don't get it either. although i'll take 4's way of doing it over Bayo 3; at least with Dante in 4 you get to more-or-less play the entire campaign as him, it's just done through a lazy way. Viola can only play 3 chapters.

Vergil's campaign in 5 is the entire campaign as Vergil, so that's nice. plus a new boss. they should have added the ability to play the campaign with any character through DLC/the Special Edition. among other things.

it's insane that they put in more effort with the Special Edition of 4-- that came out 9 years later-- than they did with the Special Edition of 5-- the most popular DMC game-- that came out a year later. Itsuno & Capcom works in mysterious ways.

212DMC5 General Discussion  - Page 5 Empty Re: DMC5 General Discussion Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:18 pm

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

DMC4 had the roughly the same budget as DMC3, Itsuno said it in this interview.
https://youtu.be/XcYWxnDJcho?t=1393
Good watch, highly recommend (turn on subtitles). Interestingly he also says that the game sold as expected, despite the fact that they made DmC after precisely because DMC4 didn't sell as well as they hoped for. So someone is lying in this story.

>they put in more effort with the Special Edition of 4
4SE had more dev time than 5SE, and it was also slowed down by the Rona. It's a miracle already that we got a new boss for it.

213DMC5 General Discussion  - Page 5 Empty Re: DMC5 General Discussion Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:33 pm

Jackie Estacado

Jackie Estacado
C-Rank
Survivor

>4SE had more dev time than 5SE

that's my point

>and it was also slowed down by the Rona.

yeah, exactly. these are all excellent reasons why they shouldn't have released it when they did.

214DMC5 General Discussion  - Page 5 Empty Re: DMC5 General Discussion Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:59 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> Itsuno interview
I haven't watched that yet, for two reasons. One being time (lazy bum that I am) and the second is that when researching for my DMC article I've found him to be a near compulsive liar about development and his wishes/dreams. In one interview he'd note on series of events, then later-on another. He'd note that he came to DMC2 to fix it and was quite content with the result considering things. Then he notes that he threatened to quit Capcom if he couldn't make DMC3 to 'redeem his reputation'.

Then he's a staunch defender of DmC:DMC, then he notes that he threatened to quit if he couldn't make DMC5 and make it a sequel to 4 since DmC:DMC was garbage. He flipflops all over the place and there's a few more weird inconsistencies in his likes, dislikes and general opinion on matters. Like the origin of the style-system, notes on budget and sales and even the writing of DMC3.

So I'm not too surprised to hear there's another new inconsistency in this interview. Either he's got a memory to rival Akira Toriyama, or he just likes to change stories to fit his current game to promote it (i.e. DmC comes out, it's great. DMC5 comes out, DmC is now garbage no way i never supported that game fuck that game).

I always did like the tale of Itagaki meeting him though. Poor guy was probably scared for his life haha.

> B3 characters
I'm more surprised Jeanne isn't playable still, just in those challenge maps.

215DMC5 General Discussion  - Page 5 Empty Re: DMC5 General Discussion Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:09 pm

Memes of Monsoon

Memes of Monsoon
D-Rank

>DMC4 had the roughly the same budget as DMC3

I checked DMC1 reviews and it was both a critical and commercial success. Despite that the series still struggles with budget issues. Capcom for some reason is stingy with this series.

>He'd note that he came to DMC2 to fix it and was quite content with the result considering things. Then he notes that he threatened to quit Capcom if he couldn't make DMC3 to 'redeem his reputation'.

i think he means that before him the game was in development hell. He came and did what he could to make a game that could be released in capcom's opinion. The game is trash so its understandable that he wanted to make a proper DMC game.

>Then he's a staunch defender of DmC:DMC,

DmC is a fun game not the best DMC game but very enjoyable thus unsurprising he defends it.

216DMC5 General Discussion  - Page 5 Empty Re: DMC5 General Discussion Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:27 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Lucifer is my favorite weapon in DMC4. Wish it was in 5.

217DMC5 General Discussion  - Page 5 Empty Re: DMC5 General Discussion Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:36 pm

Black Adam

Black Adam
C-Rank

I'm more sympathetic to Itsuno. First off, even if he wanted to, he can't attack NT the way fans might want him to. There's an interview on Vimeo of an NT staff member praising DMC5 when asked if they played it (during presumably Hellblade or Bleeding Edge marketing). As good as it is, they probably get flashbacks at the mention of DMC. Plus he'd be attacking himself, since he helped them with the combat. He wore a yellow Superdry shirt at the DMC5 reveal, so there's no doubt that he likes DmC's Cool Britannia aesthetic.

I know I'm becoming the official videographer of the forum, but this History of DMC1 taught me stuff even I didn't know. The same channel also has a good video on DeS remake's art direction vs the original. It focuses more on lighting, and less on character redesigns. Like I was saying before, even a 1:1 remake can't be the "definitive edition". SotC PS4 can't replace the original, because the moody fog is lifted. Same would probably go for any Silent Hill remakes, given why the fog was there to begin with.

Anyway, the reason I put that video up is because Itsuno can't even claim to own Vergil. His incarnation was already set out in 1, just cut. Like Roy said, no matter how much he pushes Nero, who is fine, and V, Dante is just one of Kamiya's fat stack of iconic characters. I'd still love to find out who this mystery DMC2 director is. We pull off the mask, and it turns out to be Itsuno all along.

But really, his work on Power Stone and DD show that he's talented. It's clear that when it comes to Capcom, RE and MH pay the bills. They'd never pull the crap of paying for red orbs, which probably made them $3 in return for negative articles, on one of them.

218DMC5 General Discussion  - Page 5 Empty Re: DMC5 General Discussion Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:35 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> he's a staunch defender of DmC
That's not my point, my point is that later-on he notes he hated the game and wanted to make DMC5 to wash that shame away. He constantly flipflops his statements which makes his notes unreliable.

> DMC1 sold well
Exceedingly so, and unexpectadly too. We all know the stories of it being a failed RE4 build, so it's not too surprising that Capcom had little expectations of that little side-venture becoming a smash-hit. I mean here you have a low-budget side-venture game that sold more copies than Metroid Prime did on the Gamecube for example. I always assumed that's why they panicked with DMC2's production.

> the mystery director
Wouldn't be surprised he got sacked, or that it was a regular designer who was promoted to director for this title and then demoted again or some shit. Still, it would be interesting to see what he/she has been up to since then.

> MH
When I went to the Capcom Cafe in Japan I was surprised by just how out of scale it all was. It was pretty much just a Monster Hunter cafe with a single Megaman statue and a over used DMC-artbook. I often forget just how huge Monster Hunter is over there.

219DMC5 General Discussion  - Page 5 Empty Re: DMC5 General Discussion Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:19 pm

Black Adam

Black Adam
C-Rank

>flipflop

Oh I see. Now the Toriyama comparison makes sense.

220DMC5 General Discussion  - Page 5 Empty Re: DMC5 General Discussion Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:57 pm

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

Itsuno said that the DMC2 director was someone from the arcade division and didn't have any experience with console titles (it's in the same video I posted earlier iirc), same as the rest of the team that worked on the game.

>he notes he hated the game
Where did he say this? I remember seeing nothing but praise for DmC coming from him, even after 5 came out.

>I often forget just how huge Monster Hunter is over there
Portable 3rd selling almost 5 million copies as a jap only title still blows my mind a bit, and the series didn't slow down ever since.

221DMC5 General Discussion  - Page 5 Empty Re: DMC5 General Discussion Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:40 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> where did he say it
It was in a talk where he was with the VA of Dante, some sort of promotional event for DMCV at the time.

> MH
Just to double down, the Capcom Cafe was closed down not too long ago and a Monster Hunter Cafe opened in its place haha

222DMC5 General Discussion  - Page 5 Empty Re: DMC5 General Discussion Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:48 pm

Jackie Estacado

Jackie Estacado
C-Rank
Survivor

hey Black Adam, teach me how to be J. C. Penney in this game. i wanna be a hardcore stylish combogod but my mom won't let me.

>I know I'm becoming the official videographer of the forum

my favorite genre of video right now is DMC players playing non-DMC games like DMC. if you know of any youtubers who do this consistently, please let me know. Bayonetta doesn't count.

BeeG does this with a variety of games. ExtremeGameplays and GBG styles GoW games (unfortunately the GoW boys corrupted Extreme recently so he's off the list). are there any more?

223DMC5 General Discussion  - Page 5 Empty Re: DMC5 General Discussion Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:37 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

You have GamingBritShow and Cvit who do reviews and just constantly say "you know, like in DMC". Cvit's Ninja Gaiden review should be used as a method of torture I tell you.

> GBG
Holy shit I remember that guy. He would do random attacks while spinning the camera around to look cool haha

224DMC5 General Discussion  - Page 5 Empty Re: DMC5 General Discussion Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:54 pm

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
A-Rank

Black Adam wrote:But really, his work on Power Stone and DD show that he's talented.

Don't forget Capcom vs SNK 2! I like to think that game's Groove system was at least a bit of an inspiration for the style select in DMC3.

> DMC players playing non-DMC games like DMC
I believe people are doing combo videos for the new Sonic game, which makes me laugh. Having said that, I'm definitely gonna pick that up once it's cheaper - the novelty of a Sonic game having a genuine combat system is something I can't help but be morbidly curious about.

225DMC5 General Discussion  - Page 5 Empty Re: DMC5 General Discussion Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:58 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> CVS2
Such a banger

> style select
AFAIK it was based around the styles of play in street fighter games, with RG being based on Third Strike for example.

226DMC5 General Discussion  - Page 5 Empty Re: DMC5 General Discussion Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:05 am

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

Playing this at the moment, bit late to the party but I've managed to remain unspoiled for the most part(the connection between V, Vergil and Urizen is self evident).

227DMC5 General Discussion  - Page 5 Empty Re: DMC5 General Discussion Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:28 am

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

I'm up to mission 14 now, enjoying it a lot so far. Nero's gameplay I'm enjoying the most, appreciate the variety of options devil breakers offer to his toolkit and that they clearly made Max Acting MUCH easier as I'm getting them fairly often on moves I never could in 4.

Followed by Dante; He's a bit too complex for me at the moment to fully utilize, I'm currently keeping his weapons at 2 or 3 max slots for simplicity. Devil Sword Dante was a nice surprise but now I'm learning it's moveset change, but I'm loving those summon swords(even if they seem broken as fuck).

Thirdly V; He's interesting but I'm finding the familiars a bit unwieldy(especially regarding directional inputs), currently I've mapped Griffon to L2 so I can use Shadow in tandem. I don't get the sense many of the foe's where designed with him in mind, Nidhogg does(even if it's a bit dull) but Geryon seemed mismatched with it's speed and slomo gimping your responsiveness even more.

Furthermore whilst I like how authentic Shadow and Griffon's moves are to the originals, they did my boi Nightmare dirty by exchanging his unique bio-tank design for a generic golem that's disturbingly like the ones in 2(although the lariats are cute). Don't see how you couldn't have ridden him as a tank instead as his original moveset would have transferred just as seamlessly as the other 2 did(I can a lot of potential with his round trip move).

Having binged the entire series(including the anime, novels and DMCV prequel manga) I admire the amount of continuity nods, even if some of it seems a bit contrived(Dante's Gunsmith Nell also adopting Agnus' daughter who's inexplicably a trailer trash hick at that).

All the returning/remixed enemies in particular are really nice(glad they kept Sin Scissors' insta-kill condition). Was surprised they revamped the goat clan and flambats from 2 in the form of Baphomet, Lusachia and pyrobats as well as Majin DT with Sin DT. I also like to think the Antenora's moveset and cleavers are taken from the Finis demons in 2(the skeletons in iron cages) as I'm actually quite fond of these designs(even if they belong more in Painkiller).

It's great getting to finally fight Artemis(a better version of Sanctus I'd wager) and Gilgamesh(even if it's a bit dull the spectacle was novel) and I'm always happy with another Angelo boss(best boss in this game so far).

I was going to write what I thought about each mission but I might do that later.

228DMC5 General Discussion  - Page 5 Empty Re: DMC5 General Discussion Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:37 am

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

>He's a bit too complex for me at the moment to fully utilize
I think that's why the weapon design is so different compared to 4. In 5 basically every Dante DA has some kind of charged attack or some mechanic that encourages sticking with that weapon a bit. DSD has the SS, Balrog has the Fire Up mechanic, KC the charged attacks and Cavaliere has Gear Up.

>Geryon seemed mismatched
Yeah it seems more of a Nero/Dante boss that they gave to V. In general for how safe V can be they should have made more aggressive enemies to compensate. Their solution is to put multiple health sponges on DMD when you play as him, but considering his DPS isn't that hot it just becomes a slog.

>best boss in this game so far
Dante gets the best bosses in this game, considering that this is the first time in the series they could actually design bosses around a fully capable style switching Dante.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum