Birdman
32 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 16  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 16]

301The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:56 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Veteran
Was one of the original users
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic

>mechanical analysis on GameFAQs

For me it was more countering lies.

>This the one who went into Chaos Legion?

No.

I'm only using Gamefaqs for PMs now. Maybe if I need to ask a question but usually I just see who looks like they know the most on a board and just PM them.

302The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:38 am

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
A-Rank
God of War
Expert on all things God of War

Birdman: >a kid
Flashy shit, tits/gore, machismo and the like would suffice, then.

>countering lies
REMINDING is a noble pursuit (much the same sacrifice I make when visiting DBG, /dbs/, r/DBZ, etc.).

Firm: >expecting
Hardly.  Still, each of us exists there (to vary degrees), so there will be others like us.  Much like being a Horror genre fan, one must wade through an ocean of shit to find anything of value.  Just how it is.  As for a smaller sample size like some random forum...Well, that is another matter.  While Reddit is quite the hive for casual scum, even it has its fair share of competent work (just not so often with GoW *rare are the times I've seen a single soul with so much as interest in seeking mastery and no pre-existing vets were just there*).

Roy: >all titles should now be fellow fuck-abouts or at least name after buffoonery
Bleh.  They really poisoned the well with how I perceive the series.

>from GFAQs
More or less.  I was 'from' GameSpot, which merely shared a board with GFAQs in the past (before the split with only the latter really remaining in meaningful fashion).

303The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:03 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

In other news, there's an entire thread on a mainstream subreddit about how good the original God of War games were. I am at a loss for words:
https://www.reddit.com/r/patientgamers/comments/k57csa/my_thoughts_on_the_god_of_war_i_and_ii/

Suffice to say it's mostly for terrible reasons, but they liked it! Dear god in heaven. There's even a guy who said the crate push puzzle at the start of GoW 1 is impossible. Fucking hell.

> BigVee was from Gamespot
The only good thing to ever come of it. That and the 6/10 for Twilight Princess that gave me years of salty joy.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

304The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:20 pm

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
A-Rank
God of War

>Reddit thread for GoW proper
I suppose I should REMIND them (if only just a little).

>Dear god
Which one?  Athena.

>heaven
A generic such place, but not the Abrahamic one, then?

>impossible
If you're a retard, perhaps.

NOTE: Take a guess at how negative I'll go from my brief resurfacing.  I'm currently at -13 (thanks to something I said resonating enough to pull from -69 or so). *posts* Oof. Those silly leftists must have tightened up for election season. My Karma is much better than before, but my old 10 minute break between posts (which was down to 5 or so, I thought) increased to 14.

>only good thing
The old auxiliary to GFAQs had a little going for it in the past, true. TUGOWU and myself are of/from it.  Hard to say which of the early vets were from that side, but none by the time of even CoO would be I'm sure (should have made the change by then).  The place was prettier, allowed more and had unions with their own potential, but it all ended up squandered.  More is the pity.

>low score for TP to enrage Midna's 'onlyfans'
Hmmm, yes.  I see.

305The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:57 am

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

Birdman:

>didn't respond

I've opted to do that for whenever people felt like bashing KH2FM for being a mindless button masher. There's just no way to change their minds, even though I've engaged in my fair share of arguments to convince them otherwise.

>done with the DMC5 board

Probably for the better.

GMG:

>while taking care not to be too open to reporting

Believe it or not, there's one troll in the Mega Man 11 that reminds others of how much he didn't like the game (even went so far as to make a thread titled 'this game sucks' when the game was not even out. Let that sink in), but he had the misfortune of meeting Hotel and Crimson (he hasn't chimed in ever since), but they had to pay a small price for it; getting Warned (never saw this myself, I'm going off based on the things Hotel said). The troll can report you for the slightest thing (apparently Crimson was modded because he referred to him as 'you', to which the mods said he was being antagonistic). One has to wonder if the guy is good friends with a mod or if he himself has a mod alt.

You can read about this encounter here:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/228477-mega-man-11/78859101

Notice all the deleted messages? That's the work of said troll.

>fair share of competent work
>Reddit

You're a lucky one, or maybe I didn't spend enough time on that site to find anyone worth mentioning. Then again, I forgot my password, so I haven't gone back to it. All I remember is echochambers, memes, and... probably a bi-monthly thread discussing the mechanics of a game (never going too in-depth about it, anyway. And the few decently competent people I've seen are people who have a different opinion than that of the general consensus, so it gets downvoted to oblivion).

Firma:

>expecting mechanical analysis

I can count the amount of people I've met on GFAQs that know their stuff on some games (and aren't here on Stinger) with... two hands, I believe. But otherwise, yeah, I don't really expect to meet that kind of user on every board I visit.

306The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:14 am

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
A-Rank
God of War

>no way to change their minds
Unless you take satisfaction with ridiculing them with challenges on their knowledge of the systems and all that sort of thing, you will find no pleasure in engaging these types.

>Warned
I recall the incident with Hotel being put in time out for a bit.

>can report you
Used to be against the rules to call someone a troll, but crafty devils (like myself) took great pleasure in weaponizing this fact.  More is the pity.

>friendly with moderation
Or they dislike the people in question.

>can read
I'm too short on time to pour over the (remaining) full history.

>lucky one
It just depends on the title.  You can get a few decent types for some communities.  TBoI was the earliest example I'd seen of them sometimes doing okay work.  Souls became the next.  Both are with specific users, not the average participants (as is with GFAQs, really).

>echochambers
No change there.

>memes
Bad (and unfunny) copies of them, anyway.

>downvoted into oblivion for even polite descent
Too right.  A fortunate thing GFAQs doesn't have such an option (yet), eh?

>don't expect to meet many of the high caliber sort
Nor should you.  Strangers in the night you just keep a lantern on and a watchful eye out for.  It is enough to find 'prospects' from time to time.  Places like this usually get their start for desire to get conversations that don't really often happen (much less without interruption) on the motherboard (creating off-site cliques as with the 'Vet Board' with GoW *among others*).  Those with promise are invited to attend.  Used to happen more with ProBoards, but they constantly betrayed makers of communities (and loved citing their ToS allowing them to terminate without notice or any reason).

---

I imagine most of the kids are asleep, so I won't get too many votes.  Also, I wasn't expecting some random board.  How the Hell did you end up here, Royboy?  Some sort of search for GoW land you in this hole?  Some homo enthusiast was whinging about Jaffe putting in proof Kratos has the 'not-gays', but it got deleted before I could shit on him, which saddens me.  This is what I had at the ready, but I had to keep waiting 14 minutes at a time before posting things, so it added up.

Sometimes the skin tears when I pull on it too hard:

Last edited by GodModeGOD on Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:08 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : lulz)

307The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:51 am

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

Well, one thing I learned from this thread is that GMG kind of really does not like combos...

Oh, and that God of War 3 part 2 video is gonna be late. More school stuff than I anticipated has been cropping up.

308The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:08 am

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
A-Rank
God of War

>doesn't like combos
Rather, I don't like the philosophy of those adherents of "style" who wish to play to an imaginary audience as they mix-and-match (often juggling) things inefficiently so as to put on a show. I do very much loathe it and the crowd that mistakes it for the highest measure of skill, proof of gameplay depth, etc.

>will be late
No problem. I've got a lot of my plate at present, so it would take me time to work my way there anyway. Briefly dropping in on the unicorn ayys from that link didn't help, but our time together will be over before long.

309The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:16 am

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

> highest measure of skill
I think EVERYONE on this forum hates that mindset. We've all made that quite known on this thread. What's funny is, as @Khayyaam has noted before, most action games are actually about efficiency. Not that many action games actually emphasize "style".

310The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:57 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>highest measure of skill, proof of gameplay depth, etc.

What a joke.

311The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:07 am

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
A-Rank
God of War

Ayyy, Royboy. Got -25, but the snowflakes have it set to prevent posting at that threshold for the hugbox in question. Hook a nigga up with some karma so I can shit on them some more, won't you?

---

Firmament: >about efficiency
Looking to 'just win' tends to be how a game is played, yes. And even the 'style' titles are no exception. Even as they attempt to encourage antics to the contrary, this system is also subject to gaming (efficiently) as when just lamely lining up trash for Spiral spam (perhaps with RG or some other cancel). How very stylish to just fire a big gun into a crowd.

Birdman: Indeed.

312The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:35 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

313The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:33 am

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
A-Rank
God of War

>everything
>DMC
Not quite. That forum doesn't allow them to show their full selves openly. Style? Closer to being the case. Just tossed a simple frag and left. I'll check in from time to time. See how the nerds take to it.

314The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:31 pm

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

>Or they dislike the people in question

The mods? Nah, anyone who claims to like MM11 and decides to engage with that troll is almost guaranteed to be modded, doesn't matter if the person is new to the board (or GameFAQs).

>fortunate thing

Agreed.

315The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:55 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Stylish action is not a genre for fuck's sake.
I don't care what anyone says.

I already broke it down in some other topic here. Bullshit term.

316The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:35 am

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
A-Rank
God of War

Birdman: >not a genre
Sub-genre would be very generous to allow as it is. According to the kids on Reddit, GoW proper is a Musou (and Nu-GoW is cuhrayzee *implying those dipshits would even accept their non-jumping assess with their non-anime material*). I had no idea I've been playing Dynasty Warriors.

Wright: >the mods
You would be surprised, friend.

>particulars of the case
Two things can be true at once. As you're likely aware, mods have hangout boards and 'sister forums' for their gay hangouts (where people suck up to become mods or at least be a pet with a master to strike on their behalf).

317The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:24 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>sub genre

I wouldn't even call it that.

318The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:27 am

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

I hate to reference TGBS here... But Charlie was right. They're just action games.

319The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:14 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>I hate to reference TGBS here... But Charlie was right

Who's that?

>They're just action games.

I might go as far as to say a game can have 'stylish' combat. But mechanically such a game is still an action game. There is no stylish action genre. Absurd idea. Created by DMC elitist fanboys to make themselves feel special.

Onimusha, Chaos Legion, DMC3, GoW, NG are the same genre. The have their own unique mechanics, sure, but they're still the same type of game.

Not to mention the definitions of style which I've seen a few of.

No one would've started calling DMC stylish if the meter or back of the case never said so. It's like brainwashing.

Furthermore, looks don't mean shit. Look at some of the non-combo focused ones. They look as cool and flashy as it gets. The fuck is wrong with people?

Also, it doesn't matter if the dev calls it stylish. Even though I don't think they're referring to genre in that case, just gameplay.

I read Kojima thinks Death Stranding is an all new genre. I read up why and none of sounds new at all.

320The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:27 am

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

>TGBS

A not-very-good YouTuber that I liked for about 6 months, when I first got into action games.

Here's the video in question, if you're curious.

321The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:11 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

100% on the style nonsense and all being action games.

A few things I didn't agree with though because they're just as dumb.

>God of War is more about brutality.

What? That's as fucking stupid as the style thing.

>DMC and NG being the best action games.

Completely false. Dumb biased fuck. Mechanically blind trash.

And I'm not saying my favorites are the best. I'd take CL, LC, Okami and Knack 2 over those two any day but I do not for even a second think my choices are the better action games.

The comments are just a bunch of fanboy apes.

322The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:30 am

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
A-Rank

> Best action games
It's probably not worth getting worked up over. It's not possible to objectively say which games in the genre are "good" and "bad". Every fan is opinionated and will think certain games are overrated, underrated, the best, the worst etc. Once you go further than giving your opinion ("I like/dislike game because...") you run the risk of arguing with people over something that will never have a conclusive resolution. Fanboyism without consequence is just another drawback of the internet, unfortunately.

> Stylish Action wouldn't be a term if it wasn't on the back of the box
Agreed. I believe some of W101s marketing referred to it as a "Unite Action" game too. They're just tags that Kamiya likes to use to describe his games rather than strict genre tags, I think. Mostly a marketing thing.

> Elitism
I think there is some truth to this, as when I got in to the genre, I was only interested in playing the "cUhRaYzEe GaMeS". I'd come to this conclusion that these types of games were worth playing and others weren't. I'm glad I've got out of that mindset as there are so many cool games I'd just arbitrarily stopped myself from playing.

> Action as a broad genre
Pretty sure I've made posts about this before in other topics so I won't write an essay about it, but I can see why people categorise action games in to something resembling sub-genres. For example, you have Soulslikes. I don't particularly like the name, but the design philosophy and core mechanics in those games are quite similar. If you're a big Dark Souls fan you might be glad that "Soulslike" is a term as it can help you find other games that you might like. I guess the same applies for stuff like "Stylish Action" or even "Metroidvania".

To be honest, I find Stylish Action less offensive than terms like "Character Action" and (I'll try not to throw up as I type this) "Spectacle Fighter". I can at least understand what Stylish Action is supposed to mean.

I quite like thorough categorisation myself, but given how many different types of and approaches to action games there are, it is probably easier just to use action as a blanket term.

323The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:21 pm

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
A-Rank
God of War

Birdman: >not feeling that generous
Your opinion on the lads bottomed out, then?

>elitist fanboys
Retards, rather. Glorified casuals masturbating to dumbass displays of dipshittery.

>like brainwashing
Good Heavens! Are you suggesting these bots...boys, are NPCs? They've been taken by propaganda? Demoralized by degeneracy of the vidya variety?

>looks don't mean shit
It is just another proof of one being a casual in my book. Mastery means nothing, but jerking oneself off with talk of how 'core' the game is (not oneself) just tickles them plenty along with framerate and other spec crap (only useful to the ends of playability). Likewise, being overly concerned with story (or anything other than gameplay, really) disgusts me. Wrong medium, nerds.

>Kojima [finishes all over his own chest]
I'd expect no less from the "genius".

>fucking stupid
If he were referring to flavor, it would be accurate. I'll probably not watch anytime soon, but I'm guessing (based on context) that isn't what he was getting at (as with why they removed his armor as per interviews and behind-the-scenes *aside from the various 'finishers'*). Definitely part of its identity as a series, but even where a 'GoW clone' is concerned, they do not need this element to qualify (nor does it make its own 'genre').

SWFU (exceedingly different title) is one of its clones, but isn't especially brutal (though maybe by Star Wars standards *SWFU2 trying to go further with delimbs/decaps even if still avoiding blood*). Wolverine and DI are still others that are clones (more so the latter). Both really go in on the brutality (but it isn't like that isn't already part of what the former is, so it just happens to overlap). NG is not a GoW clone, but it (especially in NG2) can be quite visceral with the violence.

>biased trash
Really got you going. Troll them as I do by putting over the Witch Queen of Action (and talk of how she would easily kill their MCs, too). Then again, you have the option to use lesser known (and respected) cases to that end. You can expect 'Dunkey' to be throw in your face, but you knew that already.

Firm: >liked him while new
Comes off like the sort of regret one has when seeing one's own words some 2 years or so down the line.

>GamingBrit
Wasn't I to shit on this fool at some point? I think I got sidetracked while teaching others to play GoW proper.

Greg: >Kamiya was pulling a Kojima
At last I truly see.

>mental poison cleared up
What cured you, would you say?

324The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:41 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

> I guess the same applies for stuff like "Stylish Action"

So there would have to be 'efficient action' too.

I take stylish to mean combo and juggling all day. But only the ones they allow can be included. Over Zenith is more juggle focused than DMC but it's not referred to as stylish even though it looks cool.

This is where they start adding on shit to protect their little elite circle. Now it has to have tons of weapons and moves.

There was this dumb fuck Okami review I watched recently. The guy was saying it's a shame it doesn't have 'true combos' (while not mentioning a single aspect of the games actual depth and options) yet not being able to explain why it should even have them.

Trash goes on to say he used the same attack because there was no 'incentive' to use anything else, which shows incredible mechanical blindness and inability to experiment with mechanics unless the game produces a flashing message to tell him so. The incentive thing is another load of shit I hate.

325The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:30 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak
Expert on The Evil Within

>trash Okami review

Link? I’m always down to witness a dumpster fire.

326The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:23 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

He doesn't know jackshit about the combat mechanics and just used the same stuff over and over.

He even says 'you just use the same techniques over and over with little variation as to how they're applied'.

It's true that the game is super easy and you don't need to use anything else, but if you look there's tons of stuff. But we can't expect much from the mechanically blind.

I'm totally against the incentive argument. If you can't experiment without the game telling you to, go look in the mirror because you got something wrong with you.

He has no idea how the reflector counter even works. Just says something like how all it gives you is a defensive move. And what's scary about this is that as soon as you do right there in front of your eyes it becomes a powerful attack. We call it izuna because it's kind of the same thing.

It has i-frames, can grab enemies that normally repel physical attacks (prime example being wheel demons which it can grab while they are still covered in their element) splash damage when it hits the ground, you can use brush tech while it's happening, if it's an enemy or attack you can't izuna, you block instead, in both cases last second blocks reward demon fang (so it doubles as a farming tool), some attacks will block from a distance but izuna up close, and lastly it blocks everything in the game outside of maybe two attacks.

But yeah it's just a basic defensive move without much use.

FUCK OFF.

Thinks Ubume is only susceptible to Gale.

Doesn't know the differences between weapons.

Has no idea how Godhood works.

I have to stop picking apart these reviews too. It's just as much a waste of time as arguing with mechanically blind trash.

327The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:08 am

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
A-Rank

@Birdman

> So there would have to be "efficient action" too
I guess so, if it was a thing people wanted to start saying. The thing about "stylish action" is that it can mean whatever anybody wants it to mean, really. Someone will say it's about juggles and overly long combos, others will say it relates to games that score you based on combo variety. Like you say, people can move the goalposts if they want to get defensive about it.

@GodModeGOD

>What cured you?
I think the main thing is probably finding Stinger and seeing Raeng's content across his articles and YouTube content, which then led me to the forum and discussions with you guys. It's opened my eyes to a lot of games that I wouldn't have heard of or have given consideration to otherwise.

Another point that follows on from that is giving new games (and developers) a chance. I think my path for getting in to the genre went:

DMC 2 (oh yes - this was the coolest game when I was 9) --> DMC 3 --> DMC 4 --> Vanquish/Bayonetta (Bayo was FREE with Vanquish pre-orders in the UK) --> DMC 1 (via HD Collection) --> Anarchy Reigns --> Metal Gear Rising --> DMC4SE

All Capcom and Platinum games. I played all these games as a kid/teen without having the slightest clue of how to play them. Didn't know anything that you could consider even slightly advanced (iframes, cancels, buffers). I came across some DMC4SE mechanics tutorials on YT one day and felt like I had found a gold mine. I didn't know games were designed like this.

I then discovered that these advanced mechanics and tech were present in all of the other games I'd listed above, and then had a new appreciation for them and went on a YT binge to find out more. I think I found out about Stinger through Raeng's YT video where he does the talk on MGR, which eventually brought me to the forum where I found out about all the other cool games you guys play. I still have so many to try. Better late than never!

Back in 2008, I picked DMC4 over CoD4 when my parents offered to buy me a game. All my friends got CoD, while I got DMC as I liked 2 and 3 (I later traded DMC4 in for CoD4 anyway - not the worst decision I ever made). Playing DMC4, I thought charge shot was a terrible move. It takes an absolute age to charge it up, and by the time I've fired a shot, I could have just done a bunch of sword combos! What a waste of time!

Do you know what was the absolute, most batshit insane revolutionary thing I learned would help me in DMC4SE, 7 years later? Putting Nero's gun on RT, so you can charge it and use your sword at the same time. Mind fucking blown. I couldn't believe I'd spent all those years thinking the devs expected me to run round for 10-15 seconds doing sweet FA while I charged the gun. Wow. Just wow.

328The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:20 am

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

Birdman:

>DMC fanboys

I vaguely remember someone was discrediting certain games like God Hand by saying that DMC created a 'whole genre'. That, along with DMC having stylish combos and actual aerial combat, was his reason for claiming GH was a way inferior game.

>don't think your choices are the better games

If only people could think like this. But nah, let's just stick to what we've been believing for years, i.e. DMC being the king of Action with nothing coming close. If we deviate from this mindset the whole world might just explode (too much to take in).

>stop picking apart reviews

This is why I'm not interested to follow pretty much 99% of all reviewers and what they have to say.

GMG:

>overly concerned with story

Just a few weeks ago I said that a GAME should prioritize the GAMEplay over anything else, because it is a GAME. To which someone responded "I disagree, if games don't have good gameplay AND story (not just one of them), then it's not a good game in my book".

>Bayonetta

This might interest you (different topic, same board you posted in):

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/241018-devil-may-cry-5/79156628#10

329The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:11 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>people wanted to start saying

That's all it would be. Shit people start saying.

>Someone will say it's about
One of my favs is that it's about 'complexity' and 'execution'. They usually go to this one when you show them another game that has juggles or something. Full of shit.

>claiming GH was a way inferior game.

Sounds as mechanically blind as it gets. And dumb as fuck.

330The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:50 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Watched some other video on stylish action and apparently it's this huge list of things. One is speed. What?

GoW was always excluded despite having everything on their lists.

Hell, you're NEVER allowed to say Knack 2 is good. Yet by their own rules it's a stylish character action game.

Tired of this nonsense. No point even talking about it. These dipshits are the reason the genre is dead.

331The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:43 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> Reddit
Like any forum there's the danger of an echochamber, a risk we also always have here in the end. But one big thing that works against Reddit is the voting system which leads to an echochamber at the speed of light. The worst example I ever saw was someone asking people why they liked DMC1 most, only to have all people that replied with reasons get downvoted and all the DMC4 lovers getting upvoted. It's just one big circlejerk. It also quickly leads to 'fast content' being more important than good content.

I pray to god Gamefaqs never gets a voting-system.

> GMG reddit Karma
Places like that aren't made for people like yourself, and I mean that as a compliment. Witnissing the entire structure of the site crumble around you and seeing users absolutely distrought at your posting style is a highlight. Gave your posts an upvote, hope it helps!~

Also: "great guy". Nawh, you do think about me!

> style play
There's nothing wrong with showing off or playing with your food imo, if anything knowing the optimal strategy is where mastery begins, not ends. The point is as GMG noted that they consider it the highest measure of skill and proof of quality game(play).

You can chain all the cooldowns in God of War 2018 all you want, the game is still terrible.

That said my biggest gripe with it is how it ebs into other games and how it slowly becomes "the most important part". Difficulty, challenging and interesting enemies, good level design etc. are all slowly less relevant than "you can wombo combo these punching bags". Which is a darn shame in the genre's design phylosophy.

> genre naming conventions
"Good singleplayer games" is one I find myself leaning to more and more. That's a genre I enjoy.

> Death Stranding new genre
It is just a marketing thing. Matthew even noted how it wasn't even the first, as there were games that did the exact same thing as it apparently nearly a decade ahead of it.

@Greg being cured: how did you find this site actually?

> DMC created the genre
That's funny considering it took all of its ideas from a game on the PS1. Seeing people's heads spin when you show them comparisons to Rising Zan is just delightful.

> God Hand
It's sad that this game immediately makes me think of Bemo's constant ranting that Gene couldn't jump. Where has Bemo been these days? Still in pedo-prison?

332The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:46 am

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
A-Rank
God of War

Birdman: >Efficient X
So just played straight/correctly?

>tons of weapons/moves
Bonus points for being samey bullshit that has no interesting purpose (just there).  Can be having substance now, can we?

>Trash
I love the clear disdain spoken with sincerity straight from your heart and soul.

>something wrong with you
Agreed (a certain deficiency of man's adventurous, curious spirit).  While I do like to see incentives given (if only to encourage people to do so *and perhaps expand their horizons to the point of no longer needing snacks and headpats to seek mastery*), it isn't necessary for myself (and I'm most taken with others who do not require it *as with Zaser demonstrating this quality by initiating a 'No Weapons' run in GoWIII*).

>waste of time to argue
Maybe (with the aim to convince them of their wrongness), but shitting on them for others to observe (and learn from)?  I don't know that this is necessarily wasted effort.  Even while having paid little mind to Ookami (SBK and others have told me things over the years), I was still willing to make myself read your coverage for this technique.

>you're too slow
Sanic says:

>not allowed to say
They got anything to offer on that front other than a YTer making jokes?

>the reason
They certainly aren't good for 'the community'.  I'd say they are a strong reason, but not the sole factor.

Infini: >down for a dumpster fire
Can't fault it.

Greg: >moving the goalpost
The most honorable of tactics.  I'd expect no less of this ilk.

>Ranger the Reformer
I'm sure he was pleased to read this.

>free Bayo
>with Vanquish
The Vent Club - Page 7 Promotion

>started with DMC2
Not sure what my first 'Action' title was.  I don't think I played Onimusha (believe it was part 2, but it could have been DoD) before GoW1.  Maybe the final LoK (Defiance)?  I only played a demo of an earlier entry (maybe the second).  I absolutely played PoP:SotT (later WW and TTT), however.  DMC3 was something I played a little later.  Rygar is older, but was something I only humored to test Dreamlancer's talk.  Pretty sure I played Tenchu (WoH) later, as well.  I grew up with shitty sports games (just hurting people) , fighters (MK and Tekken *as of the second* with plenty of wrastlin'), platformers (mostly Sonic) and shooters (DOUK and DOOM).  The closest to 'Action' I had was a dungeon-crawler (Diablo 1).  A western take on JRPG (removing turn-taking crap I found so loathsome in FF and the like).  Played SotC later, too.  Hell, I'd barely touched older titles like SotN (Alien Soldier was something I sampled only through emulation).  GoW1 was where I started getting serious, but I think the earliest title played to completion would have been either LoK:D or PoP:SotT.

>Anarchy Reigns
Multi-player...such a waste.

>traded in Nero's game for Dooty
Amusing.

Wright: >aerial combat
What a generous way of putting it (that is to say, gross exaggeration).

>to which someone
A casual.

>link
Another simple hit-and-run without effort.

Roy: >voting magnifies problems in the hands of emotional retards
Hmmm, yes.  Could be.

>pray
Surprising they've resisted this long with how much they otherwise conform.

>to god
You keep forgetting to denote your chosen deity.

>mean that as a compliment
Fret not.  It was readily taken as one (implicitly how it works with respect to those surroundings).

>distraught
Not that it takes much for the hugbox/cry closet kiddies.  Even helping them too effectively can provoke negative feelings (as with intimidation).  Such is their inferiority (merited though those feelings are).  No doubt you saw that I paid special attention to the boys struggling to push objects (as with the accosting by archers in the Aegean).  Was there thanks?  Upvotes?  No, not even a reply in private.

Their true nature is easily unearthed (they show it with pride *such an ugly thing, but they shamelessly flaunt it anyway*).  The slightest disagreement with their wrong beliefs (by way of factually, objectively correct statements given in neutral fashion) will be treated as a personal attack (even before directly addressing them and highlighting their blunder).  With enough charity, one such as I could really give these ladies a go.  But, alas, easy farming places are no more and I have no willingness to play their gay games.

>gave Karma
>still -25

NOTE: It doesn't keep the time, so 6m9s.

>do think about you
I certainly haven't forgotten that you've got run work to do.

>nothing wrong with screwing around
There is plenty wrong with it, just that there are times you can afford to take time to beat your meat.  So long as it causes no harm (like teaching new players to play improperly), it is inoffensive.

>interesting enemies
It is why I get hard when I see a foe designed to absolutely CUCK their interests (making me love the pests of DMC3 more and more as the bloody tears gather from the gouged eyes of those who merely wished for moar HARD CAMBOWS *only to have the enemy warp away, go intangible, block all frontal assaults, plain not juggle, etc.*).  This same crew was pretty pissy about Bayo 2 having enemies air recovery to escape them if I'm not mistaken.  Wish more was done to fuck with them and their mindset.  Perhaps a self-buff as with Karmic Justice to discourage getting too cute?  Mergo's paralysis (hanging around it in close proximity too long)?  Things that are interesting to fight, but bad for their simple-minded buffoonery.

>Rising Zan
Was it not also the case that a bug in Onimusha (perhaps 3) inspired the airborne shit?

>pedo-prison
He an advocate for non-dessert, Mediterranean pies without toppings, then?

333The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:56 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I have no clue how the karma system works. I upvoted all of your posts man. Even went to the trouble of downvoting those that replied to you for fun.

> I'm vegeta
You're damned right.

NOTE: forgot just how cool Broly was.

> Onimusha bug
IIRC it was a bug in Resident Evil where corpses were juggled with pistol shots in a demo build.

334The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:30 pm

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
A-Rank
God of War

>how it works
It is relative to a post whether the overall is effected or not. You could like thousands of comments, but if the result is still negative, you're just taking some of the heat away. There was never anything a single user could do (not with just voting).

>downvoting the goofs
Amusing.

>so excited and proud to be Vegeta despite the scenario

NOTE: 5m5s

>forgot how cool
The fanbase wavered with cucks like TFS influencing, but it wasn't enough (instead Nu-Broly was born to douse the flames down to a mere smoldering cinder).

>bug in RE
I only recall that relation being one where RE4 became DMC1 (due to hilarious amounts of deviation).

335The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:04 pm

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

All this Reddit talk got me into checking the Mega Man subreddit. Indeed, nothing has changed (downvoting anyone who says anything against MM2/MM3 or praises X6, memes, drawings, personal collections, etc.), but that's besides the point. Look what I found (scroll down a bit):

https://old.reddit.com/r/Megaman/comments/k7vino/could_a_3d_megamanzero_may_cry_work/

Birdman:

>Knack 2

Or KH2FM. Never get tired of seeing people go "such blasphemy! How DARE you compare that kid's game to Devil May Cry?!" (that being said, I'm not the one who starts it, if anyone is curious. I haven't played DMC, after all). I wonder what would happen if someone were to show them that KH2 image that Roy posted on the first page of this thread.

Roy:

>Rising Zan

I don't recall ever hearing about this game. I will have to look into it.

336The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:31 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> Rising Zan
Very special game. Featured a protagonist that wielded a sword and a gun side by side with the player being pushed to be stylish and perform well to get SSS ranks. One of his special moves of course being a forward stab.
You could also unlock a katana-wielding antagonist to be playable who didn't have a gun. You could build meter by killing enemies and via taunting to build a meter that you could spend to become 'super you' basically.

Sounds familiar huh?

Ironically it still has some stuff that DMC still hasn't done, like having combos that mix gun and sword action together which is still pretty novel.

337The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:49 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>style
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with playing like that. I do it too when playing DMC.

What I'm saying is the definition of style is nonsense. It's just stringing attacks together like a ton of other action games.

I used to play almost exclusively with Lucifer and the shotgun. Loved those weapons. But if I talked about it I'd get shut down for not playing 'properly' (despite the fact I was still getting SSS ranks) and not enough guard flying. Fuck off. I really liked reversals though.

>Kingdom Hearts

I've seen your topics. Not sure why you bother though. They're full of the usual faggots though I've seen one or two recognize the quality though probably only because they saw donguri play it.

>Rising Zan
>sounds familiar

Very. DMC is a straight ripoff.
It also has a few other moves I swear could be considered early style abilities. Like the rapid fire. Gunslinger right there.

>combos that mix gun and sword

That's right. You tapped gun after each slash and he'd fire a shot. Stronger and new animations. Didn't seem to do anything property-wise though. Other than he was almost firing at the same time as slashing but not quite.

Has any other game done something like this? Bayonetta can melee and shoot in a similar way. Squall's gunblade?

338The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:42 pm

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
A-Rank

> Gun and Sword combos
DMC2 has these - two that I can think of. I think one is a single sword slash, followed by a simultaneous cartwheel/shotgun blast, and I think the other is a two hit combo followed up by a move that looks suspiciously like "Fireworks" (from DMC3 onwards). DMC2 did lay the foundations for Trickster and Gunslinger.

339The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:55 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

But is that a sword hit then gunshot as a string? Like one after the other?

Even in Bayo the shot doesn't come out at the same time.

With the Gunblade there were a few timings and seemed to hit at the same time as the sword, though as I recall it was just a damage boost.

340The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:23 pm

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

>familiar

Can't believe I never heard about this until now (or that you wrote an article about that game). Do the fans even know about that game?

>definition of style

Right. Too subjective.

>why bother

I used to, nowadays not so much, if at all. Even before coming to realize that players who know what they're talking about (SBK, Hotel, etc.) were fond of that game (while also having played other quality action games), I learned to just accept the hate that said game receives in general. Sometimes I feel like correcting people, sometimes I turn a blind eye to it. It's all the same to me either way.

>donguri

Who is this?

>Gunblade

You mean its appearance in VIII or Dissidia? If it's the former, it's just a damage boost (you could willingly press R1 to trigger the boost, or disable that option and leave it to an RNG crit, which if I recall correctly, it does a bit more damage). If it's the latter, I wouldn't know, never played Dissidia.

341The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:56 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

342The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:12 am

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
A-Rank

> Gun and Sword
Yeah, they are strings. Did you mean attacks that are melee and projectile at the same time? Not sure about anything like that... I bet there's a game that's done it before though. Gotta be at least one.

343The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:40 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

That Knack 2 dunkey video has 10 million views. Think about that.

He's probably raking in insane profits from YouTube for that. For lying. And he wouldn't go back on it even if the evidence was put in front of him and he knew it.

There's really not enough bad things I can say about losers like this.

Why do they lie? What's the point of trying to make a game fail? I'll never understand it.

344The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:49 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> He's probably raking in insane profits from YouTube for that
> why do they lie

You answered your own question. Money sadly. The second money got involved, good reviews started to die.

345The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:27 am

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
A-Rank

Sigh. I'm doing it, guys. I'm joining the Vent Club.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/kmj8gn/doom_eternal_best_fps_game_of_the_year_2020_pc/

So much moaning in this thread from people who just don't have a clue how the game works and have too much pride to admit that the game is too hard for them.

"YoU hAvE tO rUn AwAy FrOm ThE eNemIeS, dOoM sLaYeR iS wEaK!"
"YoU CaN oNlY kIlL eNeMiEs WiTh OnE sPeCiFiC wEaPoN!"
"mArAuDeR iS bAd AnD nOt FuN!! Sad((("

A mixture of questionable opinions and in some cases, just outright lies about how the game "works". Most people won't say "it's more demanding and that's not for me", the game has to instead be VERY VERY BAD!!!!1!!!11!

346The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:14 pm

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

r/PCGaming being a garbage subreddit. More at 11.

347The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:03 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak
Expert on The Evil Within

>dunkey and knack 2
He makes bank off of making terrible jokes about games he doesn’t understand at all. His Death Stranding and SotC videos are horrific.

>zoom eternal
I see the “forces you to use specific weapon” argument a lot, even from people who really like the game, and I don’t understand it all. Closest thing I can think of in the main game is the shields but you can do whatever you want to them.

I spent an unhealthy amount of time browsing steam last night and was reading reviews for Curse of the Moon 1 and 2, most were very positive but the negative ones made no sense whatsoever, and had information that was blatantly false. Saying that CotM2 “forces you to use certain characters” is factually incorrect, especially since there’s a solo character mode. The review also said Robert is useless against boss fights(completely false given his prone and sub weapons) and you have to “predict what will happen or die”. What?

348The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:42 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Sounds like all the Chaos Legion reviews I read. Just non-stop lies.

Anything but looking in the mirror. That's what it's all about.

It can't be that I'm bad at the game! Impossible!

Lack of knowledge? Surely not! I know everything after 10 minutes with a game! Knack only has 3 moves in Knack 2!

349The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:56 pm

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
A-Rank
God of War

>Reddit being garbage
As ever.

350The Vent Club - Page 7 Empty Re: The Vent Club Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:06 pm

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

>Lies

Enh. I wouldn't call them lies, per se. Y'know what they say, don't attribute to malice to what can reasonably be explained by incompetence.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 16]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum