You are not connected. Please login or register

The Vent Club

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 6]

1The Vent Club Empty The Vent Club on Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:09 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/189706-nintendo-switch/76736863

The basic conversation is this: Is Metroid 2 a MetroidVania game?

What proceeds is pages upon pages of swearing, namecalling and more. It is a like a room filled with Starkillers. I highly recommend reading it. Anyone else got any gems?



Last edited by Royta/Raeng on Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:06 am; edited 1 time in total

https://stinger.actieforum.com

2The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:49 pm

Birdman


Moderator
>Highly recommend
Do you recommend inflicting me with mental health issues?

I flicked through it, and ugh, that was just so...GameFAQs, where the last word is more important than fact. Disgusting.

Metroid isn’t Metroidvania, it’s Metroid. SOTN is a Metroidvania. Super Castlevania IV is not a Metroidvania.
What does this even mean??? It seems Metroid should be a Castlevania. A Castletroid?

It looks like an argument over what to call a 'non-linear, labyrinthine side scroller'?

What was Metroid considered before gamers added the 'vania'? Wouldn't they still be that?



Last edited by Birdman on Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:52 am; edited 1 time in total

3The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:43 am

Birdman


Moderator
Possibly relevant. Haven't watched it all yet.

4The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:12 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Watched it yesterday, left a sizable comment too (that will never see a reply).

After a few videos that I personally found lacking, it is great to see a video that's a return to form. Absolutely cannot wait for a Metroid Prime video, and wonder if you can do Super Metroid's legacy justice (or how it holds up).

Two things I do feel is off is how this video shows the first and last (real) Metroid games, so some comparisons really feel overdone since there's just so many years and games between them in terms of changes, development and so on - making it feel like Zero Mission changed so much, while it otherwise was just a continuation of where the series was going. I feel Zero Mission would've benefitted from a more isolated look, instead of as how it compares to the original. You technically, maybe even without realizing, showed the whole evolution of Metroid's evolution (or devolution) as a series in a single video.

Also to note, it is a handheld game. As such you can expect the game to be structured differently. Though not noted, the game has noticable more save points than the console counter parts and is a lot easier (at least on Normal, Hard is balls to the walls). The game's lack of exploration and more lineair approach might have been a consious design due to the nature of the platform.

My last (and secretly third) point is super subjective. While I understand the critism that Zero Mission is lineair for casual players and open for the more harder core, this is something Metroid really needed to up its reputation. "Why can't Metroid crawl" is a meme for a reason, the series is very difficult to understand for many people and titles like Super Metroid haven't aged well for the modern consumer who expects a clear direction where to go. I feel this was a fine balance. On my first trip I just had an enjoyable experience and found some items out of order because, hey, that's my jam. But on the subsequent runs I had an even better experience ripping the game apart, while the casual consumer also had its fun with the game. Compare this with people who just got stuck in the original series and quit, I'd rather have this. And it is a lesser evil. If it was the only way, I'd have been pissed. Despite being a well made game Metroid Fusion is very lineair even for the more advanced players, in hopes of not alianating the more casual consumer. I'd rather then they make it lineair to the naked eye, but open for the trained one. Enfin, this comment will probably fall on deaf ears. Again, thank you for the video and I look forward to the next one, keep up the work!

I liked some parts of it, and he apparently got a lot of flack for his definition of the MetroidVania genre to the point that he made it worse on Twitter.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

5The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:15 am

Birdman


Moderator
Here's some fun.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/691087-playstation-4/77760085?page=5

Does something terrible happen when someone admits a game has more to it than they knew? Can anyone confirm what kind of catastrophic event will take place?

6The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:14 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
That really went to "lalalala" land faster than you could say "I played it for the tits". Clamshell outfit was the bomb though.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

7The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:50 am

Birdman


Moderator
I thought that was going to continue but he ran.

At least he didn't attack Knack 2 which is what most people do without having played it. Still, it's amazing that people like this can't accept that there might be something they dont know and then call me blind lol.

8The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:16 am

Birdman


Moderator
Warned for the first time in my life. Doesn't seem to do anything.

I've been modded for derailing Lord Rattergun's topics, and the mods actually say 'even if it is a Lord Rattergun topic'.

Why do they acknowledge what he does but not do a thing about it?

Another was for flaming SonicNash, the guy who goes around abusing everyone without consequence.

What's up with these mods?



Last edited by Birdman on Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total

9The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:27 am

Nadster


A-Rank
One of my guesses is that they could be friends. To note, this is the first time I have heard of the latter.

10The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:33 pm

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
B-Rank
@Birdman wrote:I thought that was going to continue but he ran.

At least he didn't attack Knack 2 which is what most people do without having played it. Still, it's amazing that people like this can't accept that there might be something they dont know and then call me blind lol.
Wait, is Knack 2 actually good?

11The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:03 pm

Birdman


Moderator
Yes.
There's nothing wrong with it.

It's not the hardest or execution heavy game but VH mode can be pretty brutal.

Most people are still following weird dunkey memes and have a mental block that prevents them from looking into mechanics.

Check out my guide in the tactical forum.



Last edited by Birdman on Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:49 am; edited 1 time in total

12The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:50 pm

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
B-Rank
@Birdman wrote:Yes.
There's nothing wrong with it.

It's not the hardest or execution heavy game but VH mode can be pretty brutal.

Most people are still following weird dunkey memes and have z mental block that prevents them from looking into mechanics.

Check out my guide in the tactical forum.
Looking at some of the gameplay, it looks kind of like God of War. Am I far off?

13The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:49 am

Birdman


Moderator
I'm no expert on GoW. Can you be more specific in describing what you see that's similar?

14The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:51 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
From what I've played of Knack II (the demo, which was excellent) it doesn't relate too much to GoW but on the other hand I can understand why you think it i.e. its camera.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

15The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:27 am

Birdman


Moderator

16The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:37 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
A-Rank
Alex of course isn’t trying to refute anything SBK is saying, because he has no argument. He’s always berating people for their opinion on DMC.

17The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:43 pm

Birdman


Moderator
Note, this isnt an attack on Alex, just that watching either of these two go at it is barrels of fun.

18The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:55 pm

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
B-Rank
Here's some reddit hilarity here .

Apparently, people can't stand the idea of being given the option to skip a cutscene. Jesus Christ.

19The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:18 pm

Birdman


Moderator
Wow.

I like how they downvoted your comments to get them hidden. Little crybaby bitches.

Reddit looks like more of a shit-hole than Gamefaqs.

20The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:37 am

The_Lord_of_Zeal

The_Lord_of_Zeal
D-Rank

21The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:40 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
The biggest downside of Reddit is that downvoting should be used to 'hide' comments that are irrelvant to the discussion or flamers. Instead, it is used to downvote opinions the mass don't agree with. It's opposite to the use, which is disgusting.

People tend to like Reddit more, since there's a bigger userbase. But it's absolutely disgusting imo, especially the emphasis on videosharing. The whole Ninja Gaiden subreddit is slowly deviating into "look at this video I made", instead of actual discussion. While far from the absolute disaster that is the DMCsubreddit though, it is starting to annoy me.

Gamefaqs at least is raw. There's barely any moderation. People say what they think. And if you say something stupid, be prepared to defend it.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

22The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:23 am

Gouf

Gouf
D-Rank
Part of why I don't like Reddit is that it generally never feels like a discussion at all unless it's a really small subreddit. It just feels like people proclaiming their opinions (with the most preferred opinion being upvoted generally) with no real back and forth whatsoever. You can say that about a lot of forums as well, sure, but it's certainly most likely to occur at Reddit.

That, and I think the Reddit layout is terrible to parse through if you want to engage in discourse as well.

23The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:23 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
The layout, new and old, is insanely weird I agree! I feel it works much better on the phone-app. The back and forths tend to be absent, it tends to be the equivalent of shouting into the void. Though a lot of forums suffer from this unless they are smaller communities.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

24The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:02 am

Birdman


Moderator

25The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:16 am

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
B-Rank
Foolishness Birdman, don't you realize that if you can Guard fly, ignoring the fact that that is A. the stupidest thing I have ever heard of, and B. it looks really stupid as well, almost like that goes against the whole point of being "stylish", your combat is automatically deep.

26The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:29 am

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
C-Rank
>Starkillers
I don't know who this handsome devil is, but he sounds like he knows how to get people good with GoW proper. I dare say he might even remind people of truths they need to hear (that they are scrubs and casuals). But what did Royboy mean by this?

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/the-ultimate-god-of-war-union-bo

27The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:31 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Did not expect to wake up to see a new user with that name in this place, great to see you GMG, as always!

> what did royboy mean by this
Nothing but love and a bit of tomfoolery.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

28The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:25 am

Birdman


Moderator
Is that Tinkertrain?

29The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:16 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
The one and only!

https://stinger.actieforum.com

30The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:31 pm

5does


C-Rank
>GMG's avatar
Gets me everytime. Good to see you around.

>reddit
I only really use it for actual info/news, and for games that you won't find any discussion about on gamefaqs.

The few times I actually engage on discussion on reddit, it's usually a one-sided rant because most of the users there are functional analphabets. The voting system as noted already is used to promote circle jerking over relevant posts, which means that the dumber a fanbase is(looking at you DMC) the worse the threads and posts with relevance will be.

For me gamefaqs still remains as the best gaming board in the internet(not that this is any sort of achievement), the moderation in general is pretty lax and there is a good amount of non-retarded users who are free to put scrubs on their place whenever they spout something dumb. The only other board that is even remotely comparable is /v/ but I don't like not being able to target dumb posters(anonimity).

31The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:04 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
I've been thinking on it for quite a bit, but yeah Gamefaqs really is the best videogame forum I can think of. Resetera and Neogaf are a warzone rife with selfpromotion. Reddit is a circlejerk, rife with selfpromotion (something the otherwise excellent Ninja Gaiden subreddit is currently suffering from).

I guess there's discord (no thanks).

As you note, Gamefaqs is lax, no holds barred. And lots of good players around those parts too. Never liked /v/ perse, though the quality discussion is good there, if only for posts like this that sends casual players into an absolute frenzy.

The Vent Club 072C7pAUnk3WYuyMmQAPibFi4BWsNKJO2xu_rIj03Cg.jpg?width=1024&height=536

https://stinger.actieforum.com

32The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:37 pm

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
C-Rank
Yes, yes. The trolling pictures are good fun. I never really bothered to use that means when going at them (save that for the Dragonball community, which gets all my love on that front). Listing off a ton of tech from GoW, then disrespecting another title by just dismissively implying there is nothing to it is more the approach I'd be using with just words (not even bothering to make copypasta *made fresh to serve each time*). I'd probably reserve that for the DMC community (less so NG). They are most often the nail in search of a hammer, I find.

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/the-ultimate-god-of-war-union-bo

33The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:05 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Ninja Gaiden players tend to be, from my experience, to be more about the fight, the mechanics behind it and aren't afraid to cheese their way to victory (OLUT, wall spam). There's some players with style, but it tends to be a sidetrack. It not being a big seller also helped with a decent audience.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

34The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:04 pm

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
C-Rank
Which is why it is less often the case a pure NG fan would run afoul of me.  It would be the corrupted scum of the /cgg/ers that require my attention.  They would pervert NG and still others (inappropriate as it is).  Some even tried with GoWIII (but there were still lessons they hadn't learned to better enable this display).  Their mindset is heresy.  I enjoy sharing the good words efficacy and efficiency with their ilk.

More is the pity I don't better know DMC3 (or perhaps more to the heart of things DMC4 for this sort of audience) so I can better infuriate them with talk of what becomes of their beloved system when played to win (and without much need for skill as with cheap tactics) and not for some imaginary audience.

Treating their beloved like DMC2 then talking about how the nerfs to guns make that entry superior to their favorites (just to antagonize).  But that is all old history, really.  Doubtful I'll ever again make the time for such antics.



Last edited by GodModeGOD on Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/the-ultimate-god-of-war-union-bo

35The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:37 pm

Birdman


Moderator
These guys are freakin' nuts. It's like they're terrified of any game other than DMC being good.

36The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:40 pm

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
B-Rank
I cannot, for the life of me figure out why it always seems to be DMC, or God of War 2018 fans. Not that other fanbases have their fair share of twits, but it's so much more prevalent with those 2 in particular.

37The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:23 am

5does


C-Rank
>I cannot, for the life of me figure out why it always seems to be DMC, or God of War 2018 fans. Not that other fanbases have their fair share of twits, but it's so much more prevalent with those 2 in particular.

I was thinking on making a thread about this, but since the topic is going this way I might as well just post a write up about it here.

Aside from marketing, I feel like there's a certain factor of "how easy it is to absorb certain qualities when compared to others" which usually attracts people that are well... not so smart. Take for example animation in japanese cartoons: if you're a fan of animes then you've probably came across this clip of the anime Demon Slayer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qva036J_evc because it is fucking literally everywhere and everyone and their mothers are sharing this and chanting about how godlike the animation is.

Now the thing is: the animation while good, it uses cg and more than in a few parts it looks kinda of sloppy, however because it's so easy to tell the qualities of that scene(emotional music, lots of bright flashy colors and effects, lots of movements and action) people will most likely overlook the flaws and think that the animation itself is just perfect, then if you and show these people clips of animes like Ping Pong https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSpQOzYvb5g or Mob Psycho https://youtu.be/USBa7dmgrZ8 people will automatically think that these are of a lower quality when compared Demon Slayer because both anime despite having an actual godlike handdrawn animation they feature stuff like rough artstyle, lots of shots that might look "off" or "deformed"(because they're supposed to give emphasis to movements and are using the fact that they can do it since it's anime), so in the end you have a massive group of people thinking that they enjoy quality animation when in fact they enjoy something else that is easier to absorb(artstyle, beautiful effects, music, fight choreo, etc) but because they don't know much of animation they will attribute these qualities to the animation itself and think they can spot actual good animation.

Now moving onto games there's something similar happening however it seems to be tied to the notorious "depth" of games. Games like DMC seem to attract the worst because it's a game that seems to convey it's qualities with ease, anyone picking it up and playing around will find themselves juggling mobs with swords, shooting mobs and then playing around with all the options the game has to offer, they soon tie all these options and possibilities of combos which they can do without much trouble to "depth", this gets even worse when these players are shown the skill ceilling of the game and that there are even flashier, cooler combos which they will most likely never do but they enjoy watching it and for them contributes to the depth of the game.

Now when you compare DMC to a game like NG, you can see that NG's qualities are way, way harder than absorb. The game features complex systems that require you to learn or study about it since the game won't simply hand the info to you on a platter, understanding how UT, OL, holding essence works require the player to put some effort which most players aren't willing to put, NG2 makes it even worse with the Delimb system and delimb/decap values and stuff like AI changes to different mobs. These are all qualities that contribute heavily to the depth of the game but because it's harder to absorb, it will go unnoticed by most players.

KH2(as posted on this thread) suffers greatly as well, the game has a massive amount of depth but because the game on regular settings won't require you to learn then(a lot of really in depth stuff will only matter on crit L1) most players will just use the most basic tools to clear the game and call it a day. If you look at the KH3 community, there's a insane amount of players who think KH3 is on part or even better than 2(despite it being a step down on every regard) simply because on KH3 they're mostly using the same basic tools they had on 2 and KH3 offers a lot of flashy "look at me I'm a cool anime move" that they will often mistake as depth(in the meanwhile competent players are laughing at melee being obtuse and certain magic/transformation spam rendering everything else pointless).

In GoW's case it's even worse because the majority of GoW players were already retards who were drawn in by "muh giant spectacles" and "muh gore", most of them believe that grabs are there just to show off gore and not to offer one of the best grab systems in the genre. As said before, this happens because the giant boss fights and the nonstop gore are qualities that are easy to absorb to most people, understanding the intricacies of the game is usually reserved to those who are playing on the hardest setting(and even then you have access to stuff like magic, so the ones really understanding the game will be the few doing NuR or Pain runs). It's not hard to see why GoW2018 which is basically every single normie bait thrown in together and mixed for the maximum $$$$$ profit has one of the worst fandoms in the story, it's basically a fandom composed of people who enjoyed the lesser(yet easy to absorb) qualities from the previous game together with all the people who never gave a crap about GoW but are there because they want to roleplay Nordic Joel.

I feel like this is more or less correct because I used to be part of the cuhhhhraizy fandom when I was younger, it wasn't until I touched games like Bayo or NG that I felt like DMC was maybe not the of all action games(and even then I've always felt like I enjoyed DMC1 over the other entries but I couldn't really put into words), the same went for fighting games where I felt like anime fighters were the most deep games ever for a long while. It wasn't until I started getting more in deep in the FGC that I sort of realized that most anime fighters are just mindless zerg + muh 50/50 on wakeup while more traditional games like Tekken and SF are games that despite having less options, rely way more heavy on fundamentals and were way more interesting to watch. To add more to this: the anime fighting comunity is basically the equivalent of the DMC fanbase and hate anything that doesn't involve lots of flashy combos and moves since these are all easy to absorb qualities and make the match interesting for them while games like based Samurai Shodown(2019) look insanely boring to them or "scrubby" because of the high damage punishes(little they know about how stressful a SS match and all the mindgames that go together with it, it's no wonder A LOT of the big name players migrated to it lately).

tl;dr the strong points of certain games are easier to understand/spot for lazy people, lots of good games need people to put some work or have previous understanding of the genre as a whole to enjoy it. More than often they mistake the source of certain qualities and end up just listing all of them under one generic term like "depth" without giving much thought about every point individually. All of this seems to carry over to other mediums as well.

I've kind of just typed the post as the words came onto my mind so if the reasoning feels kind of scrambled somewhere it's just because it's late and I'm too lazy to proofread it. Anyways these are my opinions, I know there's more to the phenomenom but I believe this to be at least one of the main reasons behind it.

38The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:11 am

Birdman


Moderator
That's does sound pretty accurate.

What are your views on when you try to explain the mechanics of other games and they just shut it down, start screaming louder, etc? Pretty much what's happening in that topic right now.

I've had it with Chaos Legion a lot over the years, where they'd rant and list all these problems they have, I correct them and post the actual mechanics and how to get around whatever they're crying about, and they just say no and keep ranting.

That's why I often say it appears they're terrified that another game could be good.

A lot would also be making public statements, believing you are right, safe, and won't be contested, then being unable to process the idea of being wrong when someone who knows more comes along. Those dimwits who have trashed CL on the DMCV board, I bet you anything, weren't expecting someone who knew their shit to appear on that game and absolutely destroy them. I think Shabby was one of the two or three that wanted to talk shit, and they all ran. One of the little bitches even blocked me.

What's so hard about just saying "Hey there's more to this game than I knew about. Cool." Honestly, the way they react, you'd think their families are being held at gunpoint and will be killed unless they spout all this bullshit.

And I can't help it, but I have to once again bring up how buttmad they got on the DMCV board when I asked a few users to PM me if they wanted to know mechanics on CL and Knack 2. It's like these fools got scared that the discussion was getting taken away and they wouldn't being able to talk shit anymore. One guy on there even tried posting other messages from another topic where I asked someone to PM me, like he was trying to get everyone to believe I'd done something incriminating. The coward ran after that.

As for DMC depth, as I said to that guy, he's right and wrong on his assessment. Some of the things he listed are clearly depth, but I don't believe how difficult or how challenged the player is has anything to do with it. Goes on to list stuff that most others in the genre have, not seeming to realize they're done better. As usual, no talk of interesting enemy states, though he did mention the cleaver enemy's berserk response which was an enemy I liked initially.

I love how you guys post tons of NG tech and they just ignore it and attack social lives and accuse you of being alts, rather than actually responding. Probably another 'oh shit they know all this stuff I've never heard of when I made my stupid public statement' moment.

I really think these boards don't deserve us.

39The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:20 pm

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
B-Rank
You would think that a game that has more to offer than on the surface would be a good thing. While I still don't love God of War 2018, going back to it did make me appreciate it a bit more than before.

I think the best way to summarize what 5does said, is that DMC's depth is all prevalent at the surface, if you know what I mean.

Oh, and since you mentioned Yaiba, I gotta admit that I don't think the series is all that great, anime or manga

40The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:01 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Coming from a person who considered God of War to be absolute trash and Devil May Cry 4 the zenith of action games, I can relate. And it is something I face every day in my own work as well (animation, art). In art you always have to make the distinction between mainstream and 'arthouse'. For example, Elektra.

The Vent Club Elektr11

A lot of people prefer the illustration on the top. It is more clear. Bigger rack. Colours and form are clear too. Its drawn in ink and coloured in Photoshop. It leaves little to the imagination, if junkfood was a drawing it would be this. And I think that aligns well with what 5does was saying, it is easy to digest and immediately see where the qualities are.

The Vent Club Img_2811

But to me, the bottom one is far more vibrant. Sure it isn't as clear, but there's more creativity, composition, linework, there's a bigger emphasis on her face and the emotion she feels. But it isn't all as immediately apparent, especially to a layman. This is the Ninja Gaiden, where you have to really sink your teeth in more and more. If someone watches that video of me fighting two IS ninjas, only a few will scream in extasy when they see me dodge left instead of right in that encounter because they know the nuance on display there and everything surrounding it.

In DMC everyone can get enjoyment out of SWORDTRICKSWORDTRICKGUARDTRICKSWORD, even by just watching it. Doesn't mean it doesn't have value, I can appreciate a good combo-video and it has great additions in fights (staying safely in the air for one). But it does mean it is harder to appreciate other games that don't have their value be as immediately apparent. When you have one game that you can immediately see "yeah, this is cool" and with the other you first have to dive into a 20 minute long tutorial just to understand basic movement, it is easier to just judge it and move on.

Funny to read the comparison to the FGC as well. I love watching Marvel, but playing it puts me to sleep considering how one note it is. But something like Virtual Fighter or a good Street Fighter II match is like a drug.

I do think it is important to note that DMC1 and 3 are absolutely godlike games, and well deserving of their high respect. They are very deep, and also complex, titles. DMC4 is that too, though less deep in my eyes. It can be easy to start to dislike the series because of its vocal braindead followers at times, but let's remember there is a lot of good and that a lot of DMC4 combo-nutters are as annoyed and embarresed by these players as we are.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

41The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:44 pm

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
C-Rank
>animation
The clip with Demon Slayer seemed okay.  About the same as that Nu-Broly movie (complete with CG vidya gaem moments).  The bit with Mogami is better animation, but the art degenerates a bit from the acceptable translation of ONE's style.  What I know for sure is that OPM S1 had some good art and moments with pretty alright animation.  Season 2?  Hot garbage almost in every way (just shy of Berserk's latest offering).  Whenever this topic comes up, I always remember my fury with the Pain Arc's conclusion (just utterly ruined it for me).  Fucking Looney Tunes.

>already retards
Comes with the territory of marketing in ways that appeal to the masses (Greek Myth, tits, gore, brutality, QTE finishers, accessible, etc.).  Very casual friendly (plenty of spectacle *though mostly to do with finishers and set piece moments*, marginally better stories than others of the genre, having sex *where applicable*, etc.).  Not being anime helped quite a lot, too.

NOTE: But such is Daddy GMG's burden:
The Vent Club 1476638134524

>Nordic Joel
Yes, a non-game with a soy-laced, woke version of the poor man's choice in myths (Norse).

>scrubby
Amusing when the focus of terms mistakenly appropriate a term to use against their accusers.

>actually discussing tactics
They know they're charlatans deep down.  They won't talk to you, SBK, myself, Royboy (no matter how hard he tries to polite his way into their hearts *as I shiv them with my frozen shit*), etc.  They don't really know their favorite title, they just know they love it.  Their world is based in 'feels'.  Not 'reals'.  Facts (and logic) don't matter to this sort of person (not unlike those I do REMINDERS for in the Dragonball community).  Even when confronted with the truth of their own lacking experiences with the franchise they are shilling blindly for, they will simply stay the course.

NOTE: It only gets worse when you take it out of gameplay and start telling them that Bayonetta would murder Dante easily (and Sora would destroy them both).  You start talking about the characters getting wrecked by embarrassing foes like Squirrel Girl, magic girls, etc. and the water works come out quick, but I tend to prefer working the angle of offering to help them learn the ropes (so they can judge matters for themselves when better qualified to do so *all the while condescending and patronizing*).

>alts
I suspect none got it more than poor SBK (owed to my presence).  With myself having been mostly absent for so long, maybe that has alleviated a bit.  I don't think Ranger has been too gravely affected in his posting style that he should get too many such accusations (which would now link him to SBK).  Shadow would be one that might take those knocks (with SBK), I'd suspect.  All it takes is adapting a similar style and stance for that lot.

>don't deserve us
They deserve me (without mods).  That is what they need (they've had their chance to be helped, but it is not the "help" they require).  To be trolled relentlessly with talk of how things are being done for them (not to them), that I am their benevolent benefactor (and teacher), correcting their assuredly shit grammar/spelling, calling them out as filthy casuals speaking out of turn about things they don't understand, etc.

>art-house example
Aptly chosen.

>SWORDTRICKSWORDTRICKGUARDTRICKSWORD
Spoiler:
The Vent Club 1315688141001

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/the-ultimate-god-of-war-union-bo

42The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:44 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Regarding animation, I think what is more painful is that people tend to throw animation and illustration in the same category. Subsequently, most of the animation quality is still very lacking compared to that present in 80's and 90's animation. Even some episodes of Dragon Ball Z from the early 90s absolutely demolish that present in the Broly feature film - it is emberassing. Not to mention Ghibili or any of the early Russian and French animation studios.

> no matter how hard I try
I still wonder how long it will take before I snap.

> alts
Some consider me an SBK-clone, and at times a 5does alt. But that's about it. SBK did get the biggest beating in this regard, when you were both active SBK was always considered 'the alt'. Hell, when I was but a wee pupp in learning, I thought you two were alts as well. In fact I believe it was Birdman who told me I was full of shit. Good times.
As you note, it is just an easy stance to take hoping it will win the argument for them.

> that book-cover
Kek.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

43The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:31 pm

The_Lord_of_Zeal

The_Lord_of_Zeal
D-Rank
@5does wrote:>the same went for fighting games where I felt like anime fighters were the most deep games ever for a long while. It wasn't until I started getting more in deep in the FGC that I sort of realized that most anime fighters are just mindless zerg + muh 50/50 on wakeup while more traditional games like Tekken and SF are games that despite having less options, rely way more heavy on fundamentals and were way more interesting to watch. To add more to this: the anime fighting comunity is basically the equivalent of the DMC fanbase and hate anything that doesn't involve lots of flashy combos and moves since these are all easy to absorb qualities and make the match interesting for them while games like based Samurai Shodown(2019) look insanely boring to them or "scrubby" because of the high damage punishes(little they know about how stressful a SS match and all the mindgames that go together with it, it's no wonder A LOT of the big name players migrated to it lately).
Sorry for getting off topic, but how does games like Guilty Gear and KoF games compare to other fighters?
I've heard some good things about both those games, generally how "deep" they are.
But was it all Fanboys being fanboys or was there some truth the things they said?

44The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:27 am

Birdman


Moderator
I think I'll avoid all posting on Gamefaqs outside of PMs from now on. Tired of toxic fanboys, especially these DMC fools who hold a different set of rules for themselves. Very dishonest place

Ruggy is getting more hostile with each post. I'll let him have his 'last word'.

I think @quickbeam is a lost cause sadly. I had some hope but his recent post dashed that to bits.

45The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:58 am

Birdman


Moderator
Just for those that haven't seen or don't know.

Check out the thorough ownership of these scrubby cowards. This is the PM guy and that crybaby who blocked me for normal responses he didn't like. Look at how the coward was so butthurt that right after announcing the block, he lists AGAIN that exact same issues I completely addressed, most of which were found to be untrue.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/241018-devil-may-cry-5/77471458?page=8
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/241018-devil-may-cry-5/77471458?page=10
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/241018-devil-may-cry-5/77471458?page=11

Is it not glorious?

46The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:54 pm

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
C-Rank
Royim: >confuse illustration for animation
Just so.

>how long
Before they start reporting me in fury?  Not long if I keep posting (even while going easy on them).

>alts


Harvey: >done with GFAQs vermin
Is it any small wonder I primarily preyed upon these types?  One gets what one deserves.

>continues right on listing previously disproven things
Not unlike Gokeks (in particular) when I REMIND them about this and that (regarding Dragonball).  As you say, "dishonest".

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/the-ultimate-god-of-war-union-bo

47The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:16 am

5does


C-Rank
>Makes a really long post replying to a bunch of points in the thread
>Hits backspace
>Loses everything

I'm a fucking dumbass.

>Sorry for getting off topic, but how does games like Guilty Gear and KoF games compare to other fighters?
I've heard some good things about both those games, generally how "deep" they are.
But was it all Fanboys being fanboys or was there some truth the things they said?

Well for starters, I'll be honest with you: I rarely see people shilling kof as one of THE deep series in the fgc(and I live in a country where KoF is really popular), it's usually GG and 3rd strike for most players.

About GG, there is some truth to it since the game has a pretty high skill floor and ceiling, the game needs you to be able to execute hard combos for damage, relies on a lot of GG specific mechanics and has hidden tech like Jump install, all of them being pretty hard to execute so the game is complex when compared to most fighters and it's pretty easy to see why. XRD itself is already a pretty hard game to pick up but it used to be even harder with GGXX and its iterations being one of the hardest games in the series, even if they streamlined it the game is still hard to play and they're considering taking the "casualization" a step further with GG2020(if you're familiar with the SF series it's like XX is 3rd strike, XRD is SF4 and they want GG2020 to be accessible as SF5).

Okay the game is pretty hard to get in, has a lot of complex stuff but is it Deeper than any other series in market? The answer is No.
Take Tekken for example, it's a game with insanely low skill floor, you do simple inputs and your character does stuff, no real complex commands in most of the characters and you can guard just by not pressing any buttons, while there are some that will argue that Tekken has a higher skill floor, don't mind them they are completely wrong and if you're in any party with a console hooked on to the monitor, Tekken is always the best title for newbies and FGC layman, the sort of people that struggle with Hadouken motions will be able to play Tekken to a certain degree and get enjoyment out of it.

But that's the thing, Tekken has a low floor but a insanely high ceiling which isn't noticed by most players, aside from memorizing frame date, high tier Tekken takes in account positioning, character's weak side for positioning, all the wall combos and carry, all the wake up options, etc. It's a game that has insanely hard fundamentals that aren't necessary for complete casuals to enjoy the game however if you decide to pick the game up to actually win then it starts to show its fangs and you will spend god know how many days in the practice and watching videos just to learn the basics. It sort of ties to what I said, when you look at high level GG play it's easy to see why its hard, Tekken on the other hand not so much but the depth is there waiting for someone to actually dig into it.

Aside from GG there is a huge amount of games that has really specific gimmicks and hard execution like the PSX Jojo game, Garou Mark of the Wolves, 3rd Strike and even 4, Blazblue basics are not that hard as compared to GG but has really, really specific characters whose gimmick might as well belong in a different game, Brawl has all the movements tech, etc. To put it simply GG is complex and deep but there are plenty of other games that can match it in its complexity.

All of that being said, it's worth mentioning that (I'm paraphrasing Aris from the Avoiding the Puddle channel) PRETTY MUCH EVERY FIGHTING GAME IS INSANELY HARD TO GET IN AND HAS ENOUGH DEEP TO TAKE AWAY NIGHTS OF SLEEP, even a game like SF5 that is significantly more casual and easier to get into still has a insane amount of depth when you decide to master it, it's gonna be hard to learn and master your characters, it's gonna be a pain to get down all the basics, it's gonna be even harder to learn all matchups and the options you have against certain opponents, all the framedata and those are all stuff that don't take in the fact that you will have to deal with real people on the other side that will have all sort of playstyles and uses for the tools their characters have. When you really get down to it, even really basic games like SF2 have a good amount of depth and will be hard to master.

GG and other combo heavy games suffer from the same issue DMC does: the games are good, they have a insane amount of depth, the skill ceilling is really high but most people shill it because they're looking at all the Cuhhhraizy combos and thinking that the surface level qualities of these games puts them on a higher level than any other game in the genre.

48The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:18 am

Birdman


Moderator
>Hits backspace
I did that yesterday, though on a much smaller post.

>every fighting game having depth
Yeah, reminds of my early 20s when I played the Bloody Roar series a lot. I used to get abused for talking about it. Some entries weren't as good as others but I always found 3 and Primal Fury solid. Tons of depth but I couldn't talk about it ANYWHERE without being run out of town.

>That KH meme
I like that. Does it rile up haters when you post it and they realize they know none of that stuff listed?

49The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:27 am

The_Lord_of_Zeal

The_Lord_of_Zeal
D-Rank
@5does
Thanks for the info mate, great post.
And as for KoF being deep, that I heard after the release of KoF XIV. There were people on some places like léddit, gamefaqs and some YouTube comment section were saying that the game is one of the deepest in this gen and I even remember seeing a poll, I think on gamefaqs about the deepest fighter this gen and KoF XIV won that quite handily.

50The Vent Club Empty Re: The Vent Club on Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:10 am

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
B-Rank
Goddammit reddit

I argued with this guy in the thread a bit. Oh boy.

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 6]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum