Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Was one of the original users
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Though I like it, I feel the Crucible should've been an upgrade for the Chainsaw instead of its own weapon. Until you get it the Chainsaw only has 3 charges and can't OHKO Super Heavies, when you get the Crucible you can now have 5 charges, and you need 5 to kill Super Heavies. The Crucible just feels so wack, it's an OHKO weapon with stage-specific recharges which is just weird to me.

I also wish things like the BFG and Crucible weren't "skip" buttons per-se, perhaps having them use Plasma Ammo would've been a better idea like in classic DOOM.

Totally agree on enemies variety, despite having nearly triple the amount of enemies than Vanquish, Vanquish has more variety I feel in how enemies work and opperate on a mechanical level. Most of the foes act very similarly which is a tad disappointing. The only thing that diffirentiates most of the foes is their class (melee, ranged) and their health pool. Only the shield-generator is a truely unique foe I feel.

Regarding a CC option, you have Freeze and a Stunbeam, not to mention the BFG stuns everything it doesn't kill, so I don't see this being too much an option. You also have the weaponwheel to slow down time if you're looking for a break. Not sure what you mean by this.

> Armour piercing
The sniper shot goes through weaker targets if that's what you mean, same with Ballista shots.

Ironically my biggest wish for changes is a) being able to swap grenades and weapons during a glorykill b) remove the short unskippable cutscenes.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

152Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:54 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak
Expert on The Evil Within

>it’s only the super heavies they are immune

Yeah, I wish they would have kept the system from D16 where it worked on any enemy(I don’t know why I said mancubus, I meant archvile).

>crucible

As soon as I saw the reveal I knew this was going to be another “press button to kill” weapon. We really didn’t need another one.

>Vanquish has more variety I feel in how enemies work and opperate on a mechanical level.

Definitely. The romanovs are a good example of this, multiple attacks with different properties, shifting  AI, can be delimbed, weakpoints that are a little more challenging to hit as they’re more than “equip a scope and shoot”, etc.

>CC option

Specifically something like the LFE or a similar pushback option. Something for grouping+ring outs(there’s no so many big pits around arenas) would be nice.

>swapping grenades during a glory kill

I try this so many times despite it never working.

153Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:45 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

After a few runs now I can safely say there's only one mission I actively dislike, and it's the one with the swimming. I feel the arenas in that level just are too dull and uninteresting, same with the enemy layouts. Decided to avoid fighting Marauders for now, I just BFG them to get them out of the way.

154Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:52 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Interesting way to kill the Marauder in a single stroke: https://www.reddit.com/r/Doom/comments/fwjqwj/protip_to_defeat_the_marauder_shoot_at_it_until/

I tend to use the BFG, but this works well too.

155Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:22 pm

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
A-Rank

I saw a clip of somebody doing this last week, I think - who knew it was so simple...

Now you can save your BFG ammo for something spongier!

EDIT: I've just seen this on a YouTube comment. Might be worth a look:

"The best way to kill a marauder is to shoot him with the tracking rockets. The rockets ricochet off the shield and are being tracked by the marauder and while he is doing that you shoot more tracking rockets on him. You kill him in seconds."

156Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:45 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Interesting, going to give that a look soon.

157Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:11 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

Those rockets are amazing. I personally despise dread knights and one burst is enough to kill them, and they’ll home in on them even after they leap at you. You can basically just fire and forget about them. They also let you kill the second to last boss without it getting a chance to do much of anything before staggered.

158Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:55 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I'm surprised to just learn that the yellow power-up gives you infinite ammo...the Unmakyr just got really good haha! Basically an "I win" button with that equipped.

And yeah the RPG mod is fantastic. The damage is huge, though I admit to hating the mastery of it, I prefer it without it since it can screw me up at times. At least haven't found a good use for that yet. Nukes bosses as you note.

159Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:32 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

There, beat Nightmare Mode with Extra Life with 10 lives to spare, netting me the costume. I was sweating badly during the final boss...

All in all, I don't think I can do Ultra Nightmare but I will give it a few attempts. Perma-death modes aren't really my thing but I like this combat system enough to give it a shot.

160Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:14 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

Nice! What was the most lives you got up to?

>permadeath Modes

Agreed, give me more master levels. Not a fan of difficulty through endurance.

161Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:15 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Highest I got was 21, but I wanted to do slayer-gates too so I lost quite a few in those due to sloppy tactics. Chapter that killed me the most was Taras Nabad, really dislike that chapter. Dull fights imo. Might learn some skips to make that chapter more fun, I'll see. How are you going so far?

162Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:46 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

Huh, didn’t know the slayer gates counted towards lives, I skipped the first one in case that happened. I’m up to doom hunter base, I lost like 3 lives at the first whiplashes because I didn’t remember what was coming. Other than that, not too bad, but I’ve learned that getting cornered by an arachnotron is almost certain death.

163Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:51 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Stealthed Cacodemons also hit like a truck, they can suddenly be behind you and take a big bite out of crime, or you healthbar haha. Regarding Slayer Gates, I wanted some extra combat points and just see if I could manage it, but yeah they count towards your lives. If you lose a life there, you're fucked.

Note that there's a few life-pickups that are 'once per user' for whatever reason. You'll never be able to pick up the first one in Final Sin ever again on whatever save file you have, really weird.

164Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:51 am

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

I’ve lost 100 health to a stealthed cacodemon. Not sure how I feel about that, it’s one of those weird things where it’s hard to tell if not noticing it was my fault or if they should have a more prominent audio cue.

>once per user lives

Wut. That’s really weird.

165Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:29 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

They have audio cues, but their bite is stealthed iirc and they don't activate their projectiles off-screen which is interesting. But yeah the bite is just...a tad too strong haha.

Got past the second mission on Ultra Nightmare. I am slowly understanding the love for this mode, it really is intense like none other. Also getting a bigger appreciation for the Plasma Gun.

166Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:55 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

https://youtu.be/MXQNQhMPRlU?t=5000
Really cool way to kill the Marauder, think that's what you were talking about Infinity?

167Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:13 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

Never tried that, I’ll have to do so! Looks much more efficient than ballista+SS. I’ll have to watch this run later.

168Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:51 am

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
A-Rank

I started a Nightmare run last and damn, there's a bigger jump from UV to Nightmare than I expected. Enemies do so much damage! The first slayer gate took me a handful of goes (those Dread Knights will mess you up FAST) but I finally got through it. I'm enjoying it, it demands you use all your tools effectively. I'm still getting used to my new key bindings (and I keep forgetting to use the grenades and flame belch) so we'll put some of the difficulty down to that... Razz

169Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:59 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Nightmare is a joy when you really get into it! What really made it more comfortable for me was planning out my Chainsaw kills ahead of time, trying to nail at least a single level3 foe at the start. Also, the Plasma Gun is fantastic in the early game. Does a ton of damage and its Heat Wave is an instant delimb to everything it touches - great for Revenants!

Anyone thinking of tackling Ultra Nightmare?

170Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:17 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

Nightmare is indeed a blast. Definitely remember to flame belch groups of fodder and ice grenade groups of big foes when possible. I also find the sticky bomb amazing in the early game.

>ultra nightmare 

Not until I practice some stages more, specifically cultist base and doom hunter base. These levels really throw a lot at you considering how early on it is. I find the last few stages(aside from Final Sin) to not be as big of an issue due to the BFG, crucible, and upgrades. You gonna try it?

171Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:19 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I gave it a few attempts but I'm just a) not good enough b) too much of an explorer. I don't like running past things, want to take my time and sometimes 'experiment' when I feel like it. I'll leave this to people more dedicated to the game than me haha!

172Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:43 pm

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
A-Rank

Interesting tech regarding the meat hook and armor drops.

173Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:48 pm

Hicho9

Hicho9
D-Rank

Just beat this last night! I am not a huge FPS player so just did my first run on Hurt Me Plenty. Plan to do a Ultra Violence run after taking a bit of a break.

On the whole, definitely one of the best FPS games I have ever played and really enjoyed it. The combat is just excellent/thrilling. I swear there were so many instances where I felt like the developer must have totally gotten some inspiration from NG2! Really a surprising amount of design parallels...

Besides the combat gameplay itself (and the music!), I was not really wowed by the game that much to be honest. I feel like it might be getting a little overly praised imho. Visuals were great but I did not find the level design or encounter design very interesting at times. Too much of an emphasis on big "arenas" for me----where the game shined the most was when it was more creative in it's encounters. It is funny how you see some of these same problems in Ninja Gaiden (think NG3's more boring arenas versus NG2's better varied design...).

Regardless, a great game and one I will come back to.

174Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:18 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

Yeah I definitely get a huge NG vibe from this and the last Doom game, the hordes of aggressive enemies and the glory kills definitely make me think of a FPS version of NG2. I agree about the encounter design, by the end of the game it gets pretty tiring seeing every enemy type in every arena repeated multiple times in a row. This is why I think simply making the enemies more interesting and dynamic and cutting the numbers down would have went a long way.

175Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:23 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Just got done doing another run of the game, Taras Nabad has to be the worst level in any game I've played. There's just something about it that I dislike.

> feels like NG
Completely agree and something I've been preaching for a while now on Twitter as well. I really think it takes inspiration from it, though Hugo constantly notes Bloodborne I don't see the corralation. Do agree that encounters get dull, in the end it just muddles down to huge numbers and constantly throwing more enemies at you, there's just no end to it it seems. Really feel that the more I play the more I wish it had a meter-based system instead of all these cooldowns.

Regarding the levels etc. I think that's mostly comparison. Most shooters these days, Doom 2016 included, have very dull levels and this one is pretty varied with colorful missions in differing locations. It's something!

Feel that combatwise the Slayergates steal the show.

176Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:42 am

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

What kind of run did you do? I actually stetted another one today(I know I said I was done...), a sort of NUR, not getting health/armor increases or runes but I decided I’d get weapon mods for now, just no masteries. Also no suit upgrades.

177Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:34 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I wanted to do a 100% Nightmare run, just to get a feel for it again. But it's just not enjoyable for me honestly, those timed missions and some of the mission challenges are especially annoying and not interesting for me. Not touching that again. Next I'll probably finally do a NUR.

Can someone confirm or deny if you can still pick up upgrades (but not upgrade with them) to get the title?

178Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Fri May 08, 2020 1:37 pm

TaiTsurugi

TaiTsurugi
C-Rank

Royta/Raeng wrote:I wanted to do a 100% Nightmare run, just to get a feel for it again. But it's just not enjoyable for me honestly, those timed missions and some of the mission challenges are especially annoying and not interesting for me. Not touching that again. Next I'll probably finally do a NUR.

Can someone confirm or deny if you can still pick up upgrades (but not upgrade with them) to get the title?

If you do a NUR you get the title by default even if you don't pick any suit upgrades (the title requirments specify 1, but it's "no more than 1").
If you pick up Sentinel Crystals, Runes and weapon mods you are forced to upgrade, so don't touch them. You can disable runes and weapon mods ( I don't know if they invalidate the title achievement tho, I'm guessing that if you pick them up the game consider them as upgrades even if you disable them), but do note that you can't disable sentinel crystals.

You are forced to pick up the first sentinel crystal, but if you want to keep base health and armor you can just put it towards ammo.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFWlmU4vDpbsx6v7TMfgtyQ?

179Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Fri May 08, 2020 2:03 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Good to know. But you're forced to pick up one suit point right? But let's say I pick up one by accident (musclememory of collectors habbit), then the run is void even if I don't 'use' the point I assume.

180Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Fri May 08, 2020 3:01 pm

TaiTsurugi

TaiTsurugi
C-Rank

Royta/Raeng wrote:Good to know. But you're forced to pick up one suit point right? But let's say I pick up one by accident (musclememory of collectors habbit), then the run is void even if I don't 'use' the point I assume.

For suit points I think you can pick them up as long as you don't spend them seeing as you also get them automatically when you complete mission challenges. I did pick an extra one up during my run and still got the title.  Just to be sure I would say avoid everything that you aren't forced to pick up tho (if you want the title), as I heard some people complaining that the achievement didn't unlock and Idk if it was  caused by a bug or by the game registering some of the pickups as upgrades.

181Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Fri May 08, 2020 3:08 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Cheers man! Will do as you note. You still playing the game from time to time?

182Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Fri May 08, 2020 5:49 pm

TaiTsurugi

TaiTsurugi
C-Rank

Yeah, I'm still playing and still loving the game.
The more I play it the more I realize it's pretty much a PS2 game (in the best way) in the modern era. Design,content,unlockables really reminds me of that time. An AAA this good is pretty much a miracle for me
I did an extra life run and I started UN, but I don't know if I will continue it. I'm not a big fun of no death runs and I don't like to play that safe in a game like this and it's way to long to lab every single level like you need to do. I do want the skin tho, so maybe I'll try again when I have more time.

183Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Fri May 08, 2020 10:21 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I am slowly falling more in love with limited save runs, like doing a chapter in a single try. Doing it for a lot of games now, but honestly, a whole game in a single run? Not my cup of tea. Not only are Chapter 1 and 2 not that fantastic due to lacking the dash etc, I also feel it kind of ruins the flow of the later missions that then slowly devolve into abusing overpowered tactics while a single enemy can still 2hit KO you.

Extra Life Run is really fun, pretty tense too.

> PS2 game
All except that dreadful event stuff. It is the only reason I play Battlemode 3-6 times per week haha. Just finished up all the rewards for this month.

184Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Sun May 17, 2020 1:13 pm

TaiTsurugi

TaiTsurugi
C-Rank

So the pc version got updated with Denuvo and an anti piracy software that works at kernel level and it's active the moment you boot the game even in singleplayer. And if the security concerns wasn't enough it also tanks performance, make the game unplayable on Linux and some people even got their save file deleted.
Leave it to Bethesda to completely fuck up an amazing game with their shady shits. Once again people who legally bought the game are getting shitted on by an anti piracy software that doesn't work, while the one who pirated get the best version of the game. I hate what this industry has become.

More info here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Doom/comments/gjzi01/why_you_should_remove_doom_eternal_denuvo/

185Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Mon May 18, 2020 7:19 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I had this too but I seem to have the 'unicorn' in terms of how it's working. I uninstalled Denuvo fully from my system, even making sure through other means, and could still boot DOOM Eternal fine and play the singleplayer (multiplayer didn't work, either gave an error or hard crash). Yet as of yesterday it doesn't work anymore either.

Really cannot imagine why this is a thing. Piracy hasn't killed games in ages and why add anti-cheat to a multiplayer that isn't competative or even played (most of the time the servers are nearly dead). What a waste.

The update also changed some other things. The water-damage is nerfed which is fine, but they nerfed it so hard it might as well not exist. Purple Sludge doesn't slow you down as much anymore which is great though, never liked those segments. My biggest gripe is them nerfing the Marauder in singleplayer. They really caved.

186Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Mon May 18, 2020 1:43 pm

TaiTsurugi

TaiTsurugi
C-Rank

Do you have any confirmation/proof that the Marauder has been nerfed? I'm looking around but I can't any find any actual info on the matter. Some people say that Hugo Martin said it has not been nerfed but I can't find any link, while other talk about longer cooldown on the dog and slower attack speed but, again, without any proof that I can find.

187Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Mon May 18, 2020 2:36 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

It's hard to nail down atm, you can mostly notice it in his spawn in Terras Nebad (the first one). He used to just charge ahead, now he just stands there for a bit and walks around, he's a lot more idle.

That said I have noticed more enemies becoming docile, so it could be a PC issue with Denuvo even screwing up enemy AI. I've had a passive Pain Elemental yesterday who just floated around and kept doing his 'dash left' and then 'dash right' animations which was really weird, never saw that before.

188Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Mon May 18, 2020 3:01 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

Hmm. I’m playing on PS4 so I don’t think any of this applies to my experience, but that really sucks for PC players who can’t even boot the game up properly.

I’m up to Nekravol on my NUR(well it’s not a true NUR, I have been using weapon mods, just not getting any masteries) and I haven’t had too much trouble so far. I think my health being at base level and the enemies doing so much damage has trained me to really only go for glory kills/flame belch when it’s absolutely necessary. I will say that I think the tracking on some enemies(Barons) is a bit much.

>marauder nerf

Saw this coming. Every first impressions “reviewer” complained about it, so of course they were going cave.

189Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Mon May 18, 2020 7:35 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Tracking is absolutely crazy at times yeah. I haven't played a lot anymore, especially since the patch, but I was doing a full NUR barring that I allowed the mid-air control rune (why that's a rune is beyond me). Lot of fun honestly, especially once you get the RPG to give you some more control of the arena.

But yeah, the nerfs were bound to happen with such a high profile title sadly.

190Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Tue May 19, 2020 12:22 am

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
A-Rank

> Nerfs

Pretty ridiculous really. Even with all the feedback the game gives you to let you know "THIS IS WHERE YOU COUNTER", reviewers still couldn't beat him without having a moan about it.

> Denuvo

We shouldn't have expected anything less from Bethesda. When the game got announced I said to myself "I think I'll pirate DOOM when it's cracked, I don't really fancy giving Bethesda my money". Cue a week before release, I'm really excited about the game, so I get a key for the deluxe edition with the DLC content. Lesson learned. It's completely ridiculous that paying customers get a worse experience than pirates.

191Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Tue May 19, 2020 12:32 am

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

>mid air control rune

Yeah, very strange that it’s a rune. I find the runes this time around a little lacking, in flight mobility should be automatic, and the one that speeds up glory kills should be an in-game option imo.

>NUR

I do appreciate that you can still make quick work of enemies without masteries, fights still can go by before they even really begin. Part of me wanted to exclude the BFG from this run, but I may save that for next time. I’m avoiding all 1ups, and if I accidentally pick one up I die on purpose.

>reviewers

Can only assume most played on normal, yet had trouble with an enemy the loading screens tell you how to kill. Really blows my mind that people who play games for a living can’t handle these things.

>paying customers get a worse experience than pirates

It’s crazy, isn’t it. Some of these companies will go out of their way to make their products and services awful for those who support them.

192Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Tue May 19, 2020 5:39 pm

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

>mid-air control rune
Literally who wouldn't have this as a staple? Maybe there's a hack where this doesn't have to be a rune, and is just something you unlock, because I don't see any reason why you WOULDN'T equip it.

>Reviewers
I don't think this one has anything to do with reviewers, players were bitching a hell of a lot more than the reviewers here about the marauder.

>Denuvo
What the fuck do you expect from AAA games these days? There always has to be a big asterisk after a nice thing comes out. But y'know, if there's one thing that PC gamers are unequivocally better at than the console crowd, it's letting everyone know that they're pissed about something, so it ain't on the best-selling list on Steam right now. So, uh, nice job there. Meanwhile, TLOU2 is #20 best-selling thing on everything games-related on Amazon, and thus, is ahead of Xenoblade DE, THPS 1+2 remaster, and Ghost of Tsushima...

193Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Tue May 19, 2020 8:13 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> nerfs
I really think it's two-sided currently. Forums were ablaze as well, though it's hard to see what voice is genuine and which are just trolls enjoying the fire. There was a pretty cool article about this I read recently: https://askagamedev.tumblr.com/post/149466049419/80-20-5

It's basically about the size of communities and how game-developers listen to them. Pretty interesting. Guy is one of the only reasons I check tumblr.

> denuvo
Shouldn't be surprised. Guess that the DRM-free .exe that was 'accidentaly' released was Hugo Martin throwing us a bone. Can't imagine him being cool with this at all (at least, I hope not). That said, the damage is done as Firma noted. The game dropped heavily in sales (going from number 1 to exiting the top 25 this week), lots of traction, trending on twitter for a bit etc.

> air control and runes
Agreed, they feel mismanaged. Doom2016's were way overdone imo, but this is too far the other extreme. They feel like basic features, like Blood Punch giving health for such a huge risk.

I must also admit that I really enjoy the game a lot more with the yellow-cheat enabled that ups your speed. The walking speed makes it so much more enjoyable and play akin to Painkiller/Quake for me.

> reviewers
Think it should be clear as day that I'm not a fan haha (points to existence of the entire site). Really amazed day-by-day about this, the recent Wonderful 101 review by Gamespot being a great example (don't give them clicks).

194Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Wed May 27, 2020 2:01 am

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

Anyone still playing? I’m at the Khan Maykr on my Nightmare NUR and it’s annoying me. Really not a fan of this fight at all, but all in all, the run has went pretty smoothly.

195Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Wed May 27, 2020 8:42 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Only did my weekly challenges, the patch hit my system hard sadly and I'm playing at 25-30 FPS on ultra-low at best now. There's definitely something up.

Khan Makyr is a hellish fight, not a fan either. Without upgrades and subweapons, you'll probably just be doing ranged SS shots canceled into Gauss add nauseum. Let's be glad weapon-damage isn't tied to upgrades in this game. How has the run been for you so far?

196Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Wed May 27, 2020 3:07 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

Ouch, they’re removing the Denuvo thing right though?

>Khan Maykr

It’s mostly a lot of balista+RL swap but it feels like it doesn’t do any damage. Without upgrades the triple rocket can’t lock on quick enough, the chaingun shield barely blocks anything before it disappears, the other automatic weapons just have too low of DPS, etc. I absolutely hate the “floor is lava” aspect during a fight where we have to be looking up. The tracking on the projectiles is also insane, not to mention the cramped environment where I’m always getting stuck on walls. The balista also shoots us around while we’re jumping, which doesn’t help with the small environment...

>the run

Not bad, honestly I haven’t had to play much differently than I normally do. I can’t rely on things like flaming meathook, so I actually have to be mindful of the flame belch, and I’ve been using standard rockets more, but other than that I’ve just been getting down enemy spawns and placements of pickups. Still really wish the enemies had more to them and stuff like shotgun was a bit more useful. Game is fun as hell regardless.

197Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Thu May 28, 2020 11:00 am

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
A-Rank

Royta/Raeng wrote:Only did my weekly challenges, the patch hit my system hard sadly and I'm playing at 25-30 FPS on ultra-low at best now. There's definitely something up.

When the whole Denuvo/performance-gate started some people noted that they felt the AI was dependent on the frame rate, as they became less aggressive when performance decreased. Do you feel there's any truth to this? I haven't played the game since the controversy, but I was playing my Nightmare run fluctuating between 90-144fps and felt it seemed a lot more difficult than some Nightmare runs I've seen on YT. Could be a placebo of course, but it does make me curious.

198Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Thu May 28, 2020 11:06 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

It is hard to say. Some enemies are definitely behaving weird for me since the patch though that could also just be the code taking a shit due to all the issues the game has currently. Tying enemy-AI to frames is very common though considering it is hard for a game to code in seconds, so it counts frames for most things i.e. enemy-attack slotting. Not all games do this mind you, but it is the 'easy way out' generally speaking.

199Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:39 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

A total ramble about Doom and Doom Eternal haha, have fun:

difference D;E and D2016

Doom was about freedom and mobility in combat, but had the problem of not really starring the main combat mainstay i.e. status-changes. You couldn't really sweep enemies, knock them down or anything, you either had them be alive, or dead.

This saw Doom become a numbers game really fast. You see a foe and you look at how you can kill it the most efficient. And this can go two routes, you can go the path of least resistance or the path of optimal gameplay.

Least resistance would be in that game to just equip the supershotgun and run at enemies nuking them with its high damage and ammo capacity. Not optimal, but requires the least inputs and effort from the player while also being rewarded with up close gore and a good SFX from the shotty.

The other being an optimal combo (SS, Gaus, RPG) to kill enemies as fast as possible, with some foes having different combos that are faster.

The later is interesting since there's a few things added into that like fuel-management, allowing players that plan ahead to either get a lot of ammo refills by chainsawing a lot of smaller enemies, or quickly take care of a big menace, offering some freedom in combat. Other options include a decoy to free up some space etc. Giving he player some form of playerfreedom.
It also had some unique shooter elements like a DoT in the form of remote detonation, which is quite novel for shooters outside of flamethrowers.

In Doom Eternal, the devs saw people play in both of these ways and made a concious decision which one was preferable, namely a take on the second version (weapon switching).

Instead of looking at what made the style they didn't want to appear, appear, they focused on forcing players into that second style. Player is constantly using the same weapon and not switching to others or using the chainsaw to replenish ammo or glorykills to heal? Slice the ammo-capacity into a quarter of its original state, now he has to.

Not chainsawing enough? The original pip now also regenerates constantly and ammo pickups are less. Either you chainsaw or you die.

No glorykills? Enemies deal buckets more damage and healing-pickups are less frequent. Glory or die.

The result is players running against a wall since their original style doesn't work, and so they either stop or adopt the "correct" style of play.

THe downside here is that veteran players now have less freedom as a result. A lot of the more mechanical toys have been removed in favour of cooldowns (easier to manage), a lot of subweapons are similar (shockwave explosion), some toys have been removed (decoy grenade) and the fuel-management is now gone to force a playstyle they were doing anyway.

So in a sense the skill floor has been lowered in a sense, as you're absolutely forced into that playstyle. But the skill ceiling has also been lowered as a consequence, with the only freedom coming from "might as well use bad options to mix it up".

You can see attempts to fix problems with having enemies have removable limbs, but generally speaking these don't offer the state-change that is necessary to overrule "just kill them" as an option. Removing limbs deals monsterous damage, so it is also the prefered damage option most of the time. It is rarely a better choice to "delimb the gun of all foes and then kill them" over "just kill them fast", especially due to the high damage output enemies have.

Another problem that totally went unfixed as well was weapon variety. One big problem was players, in their numbers game, sticking to either one or three weapons. And this has a lot to do with the overlap the weapons have.
Let's take D:E as an example.

We have two machine guns that share ammo, with one also having a sniper function and homing missile function: all sharing the same ammo group. We then have a nuke and a projectile based machine gun that share ammo, a rocket, two shotguns and three super weapons, one being an OHKO, the other a high damage multitarget weapon, the latter a high damage single target weapon.

There is no reason other than "we had these weapons before" and aesthetic reasons that the HMG and Gattling gun cannot be combined, or that the Gattling gun isn't a mod for the HMG (or just a plain secondary fire). The Sniper can share this as well.

Seeker Missiles can be relegated to the RPG, giving it a high single target attack( regular shot) and a low damage multi attack (seeker).

The Plasmagun is pointless aside from being projectile based instead of hitscan, so it needs something to really make it worth while. Having the BFG be a super-mod for the Plasmagun is a good start (freeing up another slow), while having stun-bomb return (why this was removed is beyond me).

That leaves the Gauss, which shares a lot of commonalities with the RPG. Both are high damage, the only exception is one being spread and the other being a high damage 'focus fire'. But we already have that with the sniper shot. So let's turn the sniper shot of the HMG into a lasershot that's hitscan.

Then there's the two shotguns. Why are there two to begin with? One is a grenadelauncher with a single fire, the other is a double barrel with a mobility extension. We've just freed up a ton of space on the keybindings by combining weapons, so the grapple can become its own button (no shame there, perhaps also allowing it to pull enemies instead of pull you). So we can make the default shotgun a pump action (high spread, low damage), alt fire doublebarrel (low spread, monster damage) and the mod-fire the sticky launcher.

We've just combined all the weapons and lost nothing of value one could argue, opening up a lot more options for more unique additions like a piercing weapon, damage over time, stun, decoy, mines, flamethrower, gravity etc.

200Doom: Eternal - Page 4 Empty Re: Doom: Eternal Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:50 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

I’ve thought a lot about both of these games and you hit the nail on the head. Eternal has more “stuff” in it but it is a more restrictive game in a lot of ways. No meter so you have to rotate through cooldowns. Some weapons were nerfed hard. Very little pickups and power ups which force glory kills and flame belches. Weak points heavily encourage you to fight certain enemies in a predictable way, etc.

There have been some videos on YouTube of people talking about Eternal compared to D16 and they always say “Eternal MAKES you get better” or “MAKES you do x” and is that really a good thing? The game literally has green flashing lights to tell you when to attack certain enemies and doesn’t let you hold any ammo. You can’t get creative with ice grenade setups thanks to cooldowns. You can no longer chainsaw heavy demons thanks to the nerfed chainsaw and inclusion of the sword. Adding a higher enemy count and more mobility options was good but id is so focused on wanting everyone to have a similar experience that their other decisions hurt the game.

One thing I think is tragic with Eternal that nobody mentions are the boss fights. The battle with the doom hunters is solid but past that, man they are bad. Everybody hated the bosses in D16 yet no one says anything about these clusterfuck fights where you either can’t see or have to wait for some opening?

And I completely agree about the weapons. So many useless spots on that weapon list(wheel for a console peasant like myself). In the original game every weapon had its place(aside from the handgun). Shotgun was a great rifle that could hit multiple enemies. Super shotgun did huge damage and encouraged grouping. Chaingun stunlocked enemies. Rocket launcher was massive damage and splash damage that could hurt the player. Plasma rifle was a slightly buffed projectile version of the chaingun that shared ammo with the most powerful weapon.

Now we get a shotgun that completely fades into irrelevance once we have the super shotgun, two machine guns that could just be combined as you said, a plasma rifle that goes in the trash when you get the chaingun and balista, a BFG that’s just a win button and only shares ammo with the secret gun(wut), etc. It is strange to me that Hugo and co. acknowledged that so many players only used a couple guns...and the same thing ends up happening here, but now the guns are just worse. I’ve said it a million times and I’ll keep saying it: my recent deep dive into TEW and Vanquish completely changed the way I think about weapons in shooters, and looking at this game, they just don’t cut it. So much redundancy and lack of actual utility.

Anyway, great write up Roy. What got you thinking about this?

P.S to anyone reading this: I still love D16 and Eternal, I’m just critical of everything.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum