You are not connected. Please login or register

Doom 2016

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Doom 2016 on Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:08 pm

Pretty big fan of games like this. Basically its an fps with emphasis on movement and exploration in tightly designed arenas. Levels have a lot of hidden places where you'll find extra ammo, armor or even upgrades. 
The game is built in such a way that, if you're really good you can no-damage run the title, which I find pretty unique for an FPS (there are no hitscan weapons). 

The biggest problem the game has though is its upgrades, which are too good. Every weapon has two attachments you can find, and also upgrade. You can also equip three runes that have special abilities.
Just to give you an idea of a late-game Doomguy:

• Grenades that deal damage, heal you and give you armor
  • Infinite ammo if you have more than 100 rounds for that weapon
  • Glory Kills (cinematic finishers) also give you armor points

You've basically become immortal. I could steamroll the end game without even bothering, it was sad.

This is where No Upgrade Run comes in, and it is suddenly a whole other ballpark. Really having a lot of fun with this myself right now, playing it on Hard (not ready mentally yet for Very Hard).

Example of a run:

View user profile http://stinger.actieforum.com

2 Re: Doom 2016 on Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:37 pm

It's funny that you posted this, because I'm going to start playing this for the first time ever later today. Anything I should know before going into it (besides what you posted)?

View user profile

3 Re: Doom 2016 on Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:00 pm

- look around, you can find some weapons nearly 2-3 chapters earlier than normal if you explore
- the the navigation upgrades first, they make finding secrets easier
- you'll be swimming in weapon-upgrade points later, so don't worry too much about where you'll spend them.
- sometimes you'll find locked doors, look for a yellow switch nearby. They contain goodies.
- Gory Kills heal you

Enjoy ^^ It really is an amazing title! Let me know what you think!

4 Re: Doom 2016 on Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:57 pm

Birdman

I'm awful at FPS and never touch them, but this looks fun even to me. I wont play it, but it's really fun to watch.

View user profile

5 Re: Doom 2016 on Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:54 am

@Birdman wrote:I'm awful at FPS and never touch them, but this looks fun even to me. I wont play it, but it's really fun to watch.

It really is one of those few old-style fps's that is still fun to play. I really love games like this and Painkiller: Black. There's a demo on PSN that has the first mission, maybe you'll enjoy it!

6 Re: Doom 2016 on Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:56 pm

Doom 4 is great(I prefer that or DOOM, it is the forth main entry) I respect that they had the gumption to completely remove the dreaded Accurate High Damage Hitscan Enemies in favour of telegraphed projectile/melee attacks. As Doom has always been more of a 1st person Shmup(I’d argue action too, as much as Bullet Witch or PN03)than typical modern 1st/3rd person shooter design(what with limited player mobility, hitscan mobs, regen life and waste high cover).

I find the game lasts a few stages more than needed, by the end you’ll have faced all the enemy types in all enemy combinations in more and more lengthy arena combat, which did get a bit tiresome after a while(best played on shorter sessions for me). There are also only 3 bosses too, all being placed near the very end, making the repetition of fighting hordes of enemies in arenas(Serious Sam, Painkiller and such where like this at times so it’s standard affair) more noticeable. I’d suggest 1 more boss much earlier on and have the others spread out further.

View user profile

7 Re: Doom 2016 on Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:08 am

So I played a little over half of this before deciding to shelve it for now. There's no doubt that the combat is a lot of fun, and the game in general is very well crafted, but most of my complaints echo what Gabe said above me. I feel like the game should be starting to reach its conclusion at this point. The entire game is basically, "walk into a room, enemies spawn, run and shoot until they stop, then do it for another 12 hours." I know you could technically say that about every game ever, but this game just doesn't do a whole lot to vary the encounters. The enjoyment seems entirely dependent on how fun you think the shooting/movement is. I understand that's what this game is supposed to be; you know, just like the classics, but those games were only a few hours long, so the repetition seems a lot less egregious in those cases. Sure the game has a new enemy or two every stage, but none of them are all that different in terms of what the strategy is to beat them is. Anyway it's fun for what it is, and the music and environments are pretty awesome but I can't really muster the energy to continue.

Overall impression: Good game, just not really my cup of tea.

View user profile

8 Re: Doom 2016 on Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:21 am

I agree the game does outstay its welcome a lot, especially once you've seen all the enemy types and have all the weapons (around the first time you go to hell). I will say though the game is a lot of fun when you explore. There are a ton of little extras to find from extra armor, early weapons and specific upgrades. Neat little advanced tactics like using the Gauss Rifle for an extra dash are cool too.

Like Mirror's Edge though, it really shines best on repeat playthroughs. My first run took me nearly 10 hours, while my second less than 4. I think my NUR is probably going to take 5. But again, yeah, you have to love this style of combat and play it in short bursts. I do like one mission every two days, that's it.

9 Re: Doom 2016 on Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:45 pm

I did have fun exploring, though I wish the game had a little bit less orange everywhere haha. I know they're on Mars but for a sequel it would be nice to have a bit more variation.

Mirror's Edge is fun as hell! I haven't played it in years though. Did the sequel end up being any good? Yeah I tried to play Doom 4 in big chunks, so that probably didn't help haha. I got past the halfway point after three sittings, and by that point the fights just felt like chores. I'll keep it in mind to pace myself if I go back to it.

View user profile

10 Re: Doom 2016 on Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:02 pm

The level design is a big bummer, especially since the last few levels are so great. You suddenly have an ice level, a dungeon and basically 'super grimdark hell'. But I agree it stays in the 'orange mars' location way too long, even reusing a level once (it mirrors a mission, albeit very sneakily). I tend to like diamonds in the rough like this, since there are clear things I'd like to see improved. For instance I'd like:

- more balanced extensions
- faster gory kills
- more hidden weaknesses for foes
- more varied designs in terms of levels
- less emphasis on upgrades
- more vertical levels like the Foundry (my favorite level, probably the best level).
- better bosses

Stuff like that. Despite me hating the game (sorry), Half Life 2 did have greatly varied locations. Painkiller was also grand in the way it handled those things.

11 Re: Doom 2016 on Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:39 am

I think I'll check out a speed run or something later to see what I missed out on. It's always fun to see the pros zoom through old school shooters like this! Diamond in the rough is a good way to describe Doom 4. I think a sequel could be something really amazing with just a few changes here and there. To be honest, I would have liked to see a bit more platforming sections in the game. I thought what was there was pretty fun for a shooter, and it would have been one way to break up the constant shooting. The game definitely needs to mix up the environments. I would personally live by the mantra of: If you think it would be cool, put it in there! Have a medieval castle stage, some long lost Lovecraftian civilization, or some demonic zoo or something haha. It would be awesome if the setting was different every level; something that Max Payne 3 actually did a great job of, although it probably hurt the (already stupid) story in the long run. But that's what's cool about Doom! It's just about kicking some demon ass! Who cares if it makes sense?

I'm not a big Half-Life fan, so I'm not gonna tear you a new one haha. I remember bits and pieces of HL2 and the episodes. It's been a very long time since I've played them though. I should probably replay it again sometime. I actually played the original for the first time last year. I can definitely see how it was so influential, but I didn't love the game. I think it's pretty solid overall though, even today. Except Xen. That level blows ass, and even Gaben admitted to that lol

View user profile

12 Re: Doom 2016 on Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:57 am

I highly recommend watching the run I linked above, great player beating it without upgrades, which is always fun to watch! The platforming does play a part in the exploration, with some really tricky jumps lateron allowing skipping of fights, sequence breaks or also secrets. Have you ever played Painkiller: Black by any chance?

And yeah I really feel levels should come first, then the reason why they are there. Just make cool levels and go from there.

13 Re: Doom 2016 on Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:56 pm

Alright I'll give that run a watch later. I haven't played Painkiller but I think you sent me a video of the game over on Reddit. I remember it looking awesome! If you think I would enjoy it more than Doom 4 I'll see if my PC can handle it, and I'll give it a try after I finished playing Condemned.

EDIT: I bought Painkiller Black and Overdose. They were $4 total on GOG haha

View user profile

14 Re: Doom 2016 on Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:51 pm

Okay, we don't have a lot of time! So I'll say this very quickly: do not play Overdose.

Painkiller Black, the main game, is excellent. After that they let other studios make the expansions and...yeah. It wasn't good. They are still great little games based on the main game, but the jump back in quality is absolutely mind-boggling. It is like we grab NG2, and let some guys just out of school make a DLC-level pack for it using existing assets. Sure the base is great but...damn, the levels they made...oh boy.

Painkiller really is a groundbreaking game though. Great unlocks, great secrets, tight small but fun to explore levels, great enemies, BITCHING METAL SOUNDTRACK, it has it all haha!
The bosses are horrible though, and I mean that in a "look up the cheats to skip a mission" horrible. I've done them all once on the highest setting, and after that never looked back and just skipped them using cheats. I cannot overstate just how badly designed they are haha.

15:45 always gets me in the mood to kill some enemies.

15:45 always gets me in the mood to kill some enemies.

15 Re: Doom 2016 on Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:26 pm

Thanks for the heads-up on the expansions. I watched a video review before you posted this and the guy basically said the same thing. I played the first level just to test it out, and I think it's awesome! But I can also see it becoming repetitive just like Doom 4, so I'm gonna try and pace myself. I love the fantasy aesthetic though! Looking at videos, it seems like they did exactly what we were talking about before (if you think it's cool, put it in). All the enemies are so wacky and the designs are just awesome. Game also runs perfectly at max settings haha. There was nothing for me to worry about. I'll let you know more when I continue playing it.

One other thing, holy shit games like this are soooo much better with KB+M. I was playing Doom 4 on PS4 so I got kind of a gimped experience unfortunately.

View user profile

16 Re: Doom 2016 on Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:11 pm

For PS4 Doom you have to use one of the weird controller setups that has L1 as jump, really allows for better bunnyhopping. In terms of repetativeness, Painkiller has some pretty tricky platforming sections to get all the secrets. Once you beat a stage it will note how many of the secrets you'll find, and I wouldn't be surprised if you found only 2 in your whole run (while the first stage already has 10 I believe). They are really, really, well hidden. 

Try out the alternate fire options too, they are excellent. The Shotgun's freeze is great against higher powered mooks. 

Glad to hear you're loving it so! And to see you so active here ^^

17 Re: Doom 2016 on Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:45 pm

Yeah I didn't even know there were any secrets in Stage 1, so when I got to the end and I saw 0/4 secrets or whatever, I was pretty perplexed haha

Yeah the freeze is super useful. I also love the twirling blade thing. It just tears through the enemies like butter!

I'm excited to get back to it, but like I said before, I want to finish Condemned, and I just started the Last of Us for the first time, so I want to finish those two before I go back to it. Speaking of which, I'm about 3 hours into TLoU, aaaannnnnnnnnnd it's just your typical extremely overrated Naughty Dog fluff-fest. Enemy AI is horrendous. I'm playing on Hard and you can literally walk right in front of an enemy, circle around him 3 times, then stealth kill him, and none of his friends will notice. And I'm not talking about the enemies that can't see you, I mean real humans with eyes and ears. When you're not doing that, you walk for an hour, then you have to solve an infantile puzzle or two, then you have to lift Ellie up a wall about 7 times (just like all the Uncharted games). I also have to say, as of right now the story isn't really blowing me away at all. It's entertaining, and the characters are likable, but it kind of just seems like an average zombie movie. I have about 7 hours left, so we'll see if my mind changes at all, but right now it's just as overrated as I thought it was going to be. It makes me sad that average games like this are considered gaming's "Citizen Kane" by a very large portion of gamers. It's also hard to have a pleasant argument about games like this, because people will instantly ignore you and just call you some idiotic contrarian. Ah well, whatcha gonna do?

I'm loving the forum experience here! I like reddit but half the time whenever I see something I want to comment on, 20 other people already gave their thoughts, so I usually just lurk, but here I can basically comment on everything. Plus, reddit is usually just posting memes and stuff like that. Anyway, I'll catch up join the 1000 post club soon enough!

[ryuhaya]

View user profile

18 Re: Doom 2016 on Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:22 pm

Yeah the secrets in that game...wow. Some are really obscure. I would make it my mission to find them all without guides but some I have to admit really are SECRETS. I cannot imagine people finding them without insane luck or guides haha, which I kind of like. In terms of guns: you haven't even gotten the most over the top two weapons yet (one shoots...here it comes, shurikens and lightning).

> Last of Us
Had the same experience, I really liked MatthewMithosis' review of it. The one part I liked of the game was the short 'open world' part where you're in a small village and you can just explore and loot the place. Its really eary, there are a few fun little dialogues hidden throughout; it works best that way. Otherwise the game is a very lineair focused by the numbers game, stealth is extremely binary and you can't really play it the way you want (if the game wants you to stealth, you'd better not think of playing it action style, same with the reverse). 
The story doesn't really go anywhere and once you know the plot mechanics, the twist near the end is very predictable.

I actually had a good talk with a guy once who was really in love with the game, but eventually I asked him the question: what exactly do you, the player, really do in those games. And he started thinking and said "nothing really, just one big railroad". Then he understood. 
And yeah discussions about the game are impossible. Kind of same as with God of War 2018. I keep throwing out arguments, well worded discussions and just get labled 'LOL TROLL OLOLOLOL DONT LUKE CHANGE RITE? GO BRAINDAID GOW SKAUR SKAUR TIANGLE". Can't talk with those people.

> Citizin Kane
Honestly, I tried watching it. Hasn't aged well. But you can really see it being the film that laid the groundwork for so many movies, hell basically every cinematographic trope comes from there. I can imagine a lot of people having that feeling when they play DMC1, RE4, Super Mario Bros or Zelda games like in 40-50 years. So many of the things that are normal then (or have vanished again...) are to be found in those gems.

> 1000 post goal
To the stars and beyond!

NOTE: if you can find any cool gifs, I can turn them all into emoji. Just PM me an URL and I'll put them in the system :)

19 Re: Doom 2016 on Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:08 pm

Last of Us
LMAO at that GOW fan impression. Perfectly describes everyone who worships these games to high heaven. There's nothing wrong with liking the game but you can't even suggest that maybe the game has an issue or two before they say, "WELLFUCKYOUITCHANGEDMYLIFEANDICANNOTTHINKOGONEGAMEWITHBETTERGAMEPLAYANDAMOREEMOTIONALSTORYDESPITEONLYPLAYING2GAMESANDILOVEELLIELIKEMYOWNDAUGHTERSHEISBESTLOLIREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE." Anyway I'm halfway through the game now, and I'm at a really long and drawn out stealth section. I feel like I've been crouch-walking around apartment buildings for the last 3 hours now. I don't see my opinion changing by the end but I'll finish it.

Citizen Kane
Haven't seen the movie, I just know the expression and why it's used. I'm sure some GOW4 fans will play DMC1 and become amazed at how you could throw a weapon and summon it back to you all the way back in 2001 lol

GIFS
I'll take a look around the interwebz. I'm sure I could find some cool ones.

View user profile

20 Re: Doom 2016 on Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:01 pm

Was stuck here for a long time on my NUR, really happy to have beaten it. Very intense fight! Might showcase a bit more how the game works :)

> Kane
Basically it was a film that did nearly everything first, but as such also aged pretty badly. It is a film you'll love to watch if you're in the craft, otherwise it can be quite dull.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum