You are not connected. Please login or register

Doom 3

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Doom 3 Empty Doom 3 Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:24 am

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

Just started playing this one with the Dhewm3 mod for widescreen purposes. All I know is not to play the BFG edition, and that it's the weird horror Half-Life-like. Half-like, if you will.

I haven't played Doom 1 and 2 before, so this should be an interesting perspective.

You have to get really close up for the shotgun to work effectively. Right now, I've just been saving them for imps.

2Doom 3 Empty Re: Doom 3 Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:32 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Was one of the original users
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Vanilla Doom3 is one of my all-time favourite games, enjoy and take your time with it! It's best played on the highest setting immediately (barring nightmare, which is meant for veterans). The shotgun is very much a close-up dps tool, while other weapons are more for ranged.

The atmosphere and levels are fantastic, fun enemies and compositions too. And the Hell-levels are just...my god.

Doom 1 and 2 are definite classics too, and you should play them later-on as well. If only episode-1 of Doom1.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

3Doom 3 Empty Re: Doom 3 Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:20 am

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

First Pinky ambush was kind of confusing, but I looked up a video, and it turns out he has a big blindspot on the right side of the window. Shotgunning works well up close, and machine guns works well when he's charging at you.

The hitscan enemies are probably the biggest pain in the ass so far.

Been using my pistol/flashlight to pick off the basic zombies. I also like waiting around the corner for an enemy to crop up so I can blast them with the shotgun.

I also notice they like to spawn enemies behind you. At one point, I killed some enemies, walked forward, then decided to check the previous room and an imp was there. Finding imps a bit tricky to one-shot with the shotgun when they're spawning in or crouched for their pounce.

Stopped at around this Silent Hill-looking room where some dude with an exposed ribcage screamed, and spawned in some other enemies that crawled around.

4Doom 3 Empty Re: Doom 3 Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:52 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> imps
Best bet is to wait for a fireball and then quickly run in with a pointblank shotgun shell.

> hitscanners
True, they aren't that common though thankfully, especially later-on.

> spawn behind you
Yeah it gets a bit happy with that hahaha

NOTE: Crouching is legit a good tactic in this game, as the game has certain attacks that only hit 'high' if we're using fighting-game terms. So you can crouch to avoid specific attacks on reaction. Very handy, and there's one attack that's unavoidable otherwise (good casual filter haha).

5Doom 3 Empty Re: Doom 3 Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:28 pm

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

Do you have any recommendations for Doom 3 gameplay mods/custom maps? I'd prefer something that leans into the action a bit more.

6Doom 3 Empty Re: Doom 3 Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:15 am

Omar73874928271728

A-Rank

Going to get the game on PC probably.

7Doom 3 Empty Re: Doom 3 Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:18 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I wouldn't know, only played the base-game.

If you're looking for action, you can have it, but the game requires a lot of knowledge and skill to play that way. It's mandatory basically for Nightmare though: https://youtu.be/jODkPVsbZt8?si=2xcK75CWg88P0al_&t=419

On Nightmare your health constantly drains, but you start with the soul-cube (artifact that, when you do a set amount of kills, allows you to drain some health from enemies). It's a bonkers mode that forces you to go very fast and use bunnyhops and the type of quake-style movement to keep momentum going.

Otherwise it's a much slower paced game for sure.

8Doom 3 Empty Re: Doom 3 Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:55 am

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

Seems like it's pretty knowledge-heavy to pull that off. Didn't know you could bunnyhop though, how's it done here?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum