Working on the new site, main url might break from time to time for few days. Use http://stinger.actieforum.com/

You are not connected. Please login or register

Doom 1&2

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Doom 1&2 Empty Doom 1&2 on Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:17 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Finally got the chance to sink my teeth into these two games, the classics. Snagged the Switch versions and finished both with the exception of the last episode of Doom 1 (Episode 4), which had a broken save-game for me, but I wasn't really enjoying that episode anyway.

I've already got some notes lined up for a possible article, but currently trying to arrange an interview with Romero (the game's level designer) if possible. Guy seems really 'one of us', I mean just look at this:

But yeah, I have to say I didn't really like Doom II all that much and that Doom I peaked in Episode 1 for me, ironically those are Romero's levels. And when I say liked those levels, I mean really liked to the point that I might consider them an example to everything gaming has to offer, now and in the future.

While everyone keeps gushing about E1M1, the first level, I really feel E1M2 is the best mission around in the game, and maybe even the entire hobby itself. The whole concept of Doom is that you're in a high stakes combat scenario with exploration, and they did that pretty well. They focused on a few things from what I'm gathering, namely Contrast and "new shit". Basically every room has to have contrast in it, think different lightings, elevations, textures and such. But rooms also need to contrast with each other in shape. No big square rooms after big square rooms, instead you have a lot of diagonal rooms with close quarter fights followed by a U shaped room with two elevations for example. Add to that the tease of secret locations - E1M2 starts with you seeing an armour in the distance that you cannot reach conventionally - and you've got a golden formula.

Combat wise the game has only a few foes, but tries to use every combination possible in combination with its areas, you'll never get the same fight twice in Doom 1 Episode 1: Knee deep in the Dead. And I think that's why I like it best, as the later episodes and also Doom II feel more like 'just throw huge numbers at them' than smart thought out engagements.

The weapons feel great though as do the secrets and what they offer. All in all really can understand why they hold the games in such high appeal, but especially concerning Doom1's first episode.

Also have to note the excellent difficulty modes, with Ultra Violence changing up enemy locations significantly, basically creating a new game. While Nightmare totally changes the formula, forcing speedy play, as enemies respawn infinitely.

What are your guy's thoughts, ever played them?

http://stinger.actieforum.com

2Doom 1&2 Empty Re: Doom 1&2 on Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:12 am

Birdman

HAHAHAHA he sounds like me.

I've played these old ones and the one on Xbox, Doom 3 I guess. They scared the shit out of me, even the old ones with the 2D enemies. The really struck me as 100% horror games.

3Doom 1&2 Empty Re: Doom 1&2 on Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:42 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Doom 3 really was more of a horror game, never could get into it as much as these ones. Doom 1 isn't really horror to me (anymore), more derpy or metal horror.

4Doom 1&2 Empty Re: Doom 1&2 on Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:01 pm

Birdman

What the hell is metal horror?

5Doom 1&2 Empty Re: Doom 1&2 on Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:16 pm

Nadster

B-Rank
I played both of them. I still need to finish the forth episode and the rest of Doom 2. I would also like to try out Doom 3 again.

6Doom 1&2 Empty Re: Doom 1&2 on Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:30 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
> Metal horror
I have absolutely no clue haha, just a dumb term I came up with. Like the game just screams metal. Reminds me of the old Heavy Metal magazines.

> Nadster
What did you think of them?

7Doom 1&2 Empty Re: Doom 1&2 on Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:32 pm

Nadster

B-Rank
I found the two Doom games very fun to play. I think the first episode was the best in Doom. I think the third episode might have the most complex maps in the game. I had to look up a couple levels because I really didn't know what to do next or where to go. Like that one level with the teleportation devices. There was also that one level with a castle and a lot of radiation suits. My memory is getting hazy. Overall, I think that the first episode has the best maps. The second episode has the best boss and the third episode is the most challenging. Although the fourth episode might change that.

I only played a few levels of Doom 2 and I stopped because I wanted to finish the original. The levels are very fun to play. I also love using the Super Shotgun. Is there any Backpacks of Ammo in Doom 2? I forgot. I think it would make the game too easy but I wish that the ammo capacity would increase for each Backpack you get.

8Doom 1&2 Empty Re: Doom 1&2 on Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:53 pm

Infinity_Divide

C-Rank
These are two of the first games I ever played, and I still hold them in very high regard. I pretty much completely agree with what you said; Doom 2 was always my favorite of the two but after replaying it, there’s way too many goofy gimmicks and thoughtless enemy placements. The new enemy types are also some of the worst in the old batch: Pain elementals are just a spawn point for lost souls and archviles encourage you to hide and stop moving. E1 of the first game was always my favorite for its level design and distinct atmosphere. Never was a fan of the levels that took place outdoors.

9Doom 1&2 Empty Re: Doom 1&2 on Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:21 pm

hedfone

hedfone
C-Rank
Shooters of that time are just so incredible. The gameplay was always the most important aspect. DOOM 1&2 are some of the best. 1 has better levels, 2 has the super shotgun. IMO they have to be played on Ultra Violence to understand and appreciate the design.

If you are feeling the classic shooter itch, I highly recommend BLOOD. It just got a re-release on steam so it is easy to play. It is personally my favorite old school fps, almost purely for the weapon design. In DOOM when you get the chaingun, the pistol becomes useless. In BLOOD every gun has uses and on it's UV equivalent, you need to master them all to do well.

Check out Civvie 11, he makes great videos on classic shooters.

10Doom 1&2 Empty Re: Doom 1&2 on Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:22 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
@Nadster
I don't really recall the third episode other than that the levels were incredibly mazelike yeah. Episode 4 was the hardest imo, with E4M1 really taking the cake for me, incredibily hard level. I think Doom2 did have backpacks now that I think about it. Super shotgun is fantastic, but also feels a tad too good.

@Infinity_Divide
Yeah DoomII looks great, and starts great (E1M1 and E1M2 are amazing stages), but it doesn't really hold up later-on for me especially when you go to 'earth' which is just weird abstract 'buildings' that aren't buildings at all.

@hedfone
I've had Blood be recommended to me on numerous occasions. Is this the best version?
https://www.gog.com/game/blood_fresh_supply
The weapon layout looks absolutely divine, though I admit to some preference for shooters where you can only aim sideways (i.e. Doom). But these weapons look really, really good. I like how even something basic like a pistol is changed into an interesting weapon. Reminds me a tad of Painkiller.

11Doom 1&2 Empty Re: Doom 1&2 on Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:18 am

Nadster

B-Rank
So what do you guys think of the Doom mods on PC? I also would like to mention what is known as the worst Doom port the 3DO version. I want to show you this.

12Doom 1&2 Empty Re: Doom 1&2 on Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:51 am

hedfone

hedfone
C-Rank
ROY

Fresh supply is a great version.
I personally prefer bloodgdx, but I am super nitpicky about very small details.

You can play the game without up and down look aswell. I play BLOOD on the hardest normal difficulty with a controller only looking left and right, the auto aim up and down is fine for me.

Sent from Topic'it App

13Doom 1&2 Empty Re: Doom 1&2 on Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:15 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
What difficulty would you recommend? I bought Fresh Supply but some settings are absolutely murdering me. Should I start on Well Broiled?

14Doom 1&2 Empty Re: Doom 1&2 on Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:25 pm

hedfone

hedfone
C-Rank
The game has a steep learning curve, like Ng. Once it clicks though, it's great. I would say start on the second difficulty until you learn the weapons well. Like NG the capacity of the enemies goes up with each difficulty, so playing each is more unique than just get hit harder.
Also don't be afraid to quicksave if you clear a particularly difficult room

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum