Working on the new site, main url might break from time to time for few days. Use http://stinger.actieforum.com/

You are not connected. Please login or register

Chatting about games

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

101Chatting about games - Page 3 Empty Re: Chatting about games on Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:06 am

Birdman

I like light gun games in the arcades but hate them on home consoles.

102Chatting about games - Page 3 Empty Re: Chatting about games on Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:56 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
I absolutely loved The Umbrella Chronicles, does that count as one? Very addicting game for me.

http://stinger.actieforum.com

103Chatting about games - Page 3 Empty Re: Chatting about games on Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:31 am

Nadster

B-Rank
I looked and read the genre it was in. It does.

104Chatting about games - Page 3 Empty Re: Chatting about games on Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:32 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
In that case, yeah Umbrella Chronicles. Not only did it function as a nice recap of the series, it had a ton of secret paths, secret items to find etc. Really really enjoyed my time with that title overall.

105Chatting about games - Page 3 Empty Re: Chatting about games on Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:02 pm

Birdman

lolchina

106Chatting about games - Page 3 Empty Re: Chatting about games on Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:36 am

Nadster

B-Rank
What do you guys think of the term bullet sponges?

107Chatting about games - Page 3 Empty Re: Chatting about games on Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:51 am

Birdman

Are you asking about the term alone or the gameplay aspect?

I dont play shooters much, but I don't like sponges.

108Chatting about games - Page 3 Empty Re: Chatting about games on Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:09 am

Nadster

B-Rank
Yeah I meant the gameplay aspect of it.

109Chatting about games - Page 3 Empty Re: Chatting about games on Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:39 am

Birdman

Not a fan.

I guess it could apply to non-shooters as well. Super armored enemies with ridiculous HP.

110Chatting about games - Page 3 Empty Re: Chatting about games on Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:55 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
To be honest, I never saw that game as a Breath of the Wild clone. Its aethstetics look somewhat similar (same style grass and fire), but nothing relating to the gameplay is remotely similar. I doubt we'd call Binary Domain a Vanquish rip-off since it has similar designs.

> bullet sponges
Rarely works in interesting ways if ever. Devil's Third power-armour dudes were somewhat scary in that regard, as was the chainsaw dude in RE4, since they could kill you fast and took a lot of punishment and didn't stagger. But generally speaking, I dislike the mechanic.

111Chatting about games - Page 3 Empty Re: Chatting about games on Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:07 am

Birdman

It just immediately looks so similar, even those small goblin things. But yeah, that doesn't make it bad. I already like the look of that bow combat. We'll see.

112Chatting about games - Page 3 Empty Re: Chatting about games on Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:08 am

The_Lord_of_Zeal

The_Lord_of_Zeal
D-Rank
Bullet or damage sponges suck.
One of the worst things I've experienced in some games, especially games where higher difficulty means higher numbers.
It's even worse when they don't have any good attacks or anything, like the third boss in Castlevania circle of the moon. Not only does that thing has high HP and high defense, it also has three attacks and it's ridiculously slow, so you can dodge them all, no problem, but the worse part is that, it regenerates it's health, one of the worst things in the game.

113Chatting about games - Page 3 Empty Re: Chatting about games on Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:36 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
The only case it works I feel is in games where it is sort of a way to force players to learn how to play better. God of War does this a bit in its earlier games. Enemies like minotaurs and medusa are absolute tanks unless you know how to use the grab system well.

114Chatting about games - Page 3 Empty Re: Chatting about games on Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:51 am

The_Lord_of_Zeal

The_Lord_of_Zeal
D-Rank
Good point. Imo bullet sponges, especially bullet sponge bosses wouldn't be bad if they get more and more attacks and get more aggressive as their life decreases, that way it can also force players to learn and master dodging and parrying etc and the battles wouldn't be so damn boring.
But bullet or damage sponges as far as I've seen don't really do that.

115Chatting about games - Page 3 Empty Re: Chatting about games on Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:09 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
It can work in a form of intimidation. I think Verdugo, the alien-like boss from RE4, is a good example. Guy doesn't stagger, eats bullets, but the whole idea is to avoid the fight (or power on through with an RPG and the ice). In regards to regular foes, as long as there are options it is fine. Killing a Romanov regularly in Vanquish makes them more agressive as you tackle on the damage, but if you go for its weakpoint it dies in seconds.

But even then, they aren't sponges. RE2make had sponges. Binary Domain has sponges. It is rarely if ever, done well.

116Chatting about games - Page 3 Empty Re: Chatting about games on Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:31 pm

The_Lord_of_Zeal

The_Lord_of_Zeal
D-Rank
I'm fighting the Travelers in GoW now. I'm under-leveled compared to it and it's one god damn damage sponge, it doesn't have any attack that isn't predictable or hard to avoid, it just takes a crap load of time to kill it. Is there any setup or tech that can take these things down quicker, without leveling up?

117Chatting about games - Page 3 Empty Re: Chatting about games on Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:59 pm

TheFirmament1

D-Rank
Another thing about Minotaurs, Gorgons, and the stone... things is that you were able to counter all of them, and launch the former two in mid-air, so it was possible to lock them down, and prevent them from attacking.

118Chatting about games - Page 3 Empty Re: Chatting about games on Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:49 am

hedfone

hedfone
C-Rank
Man. God of war 1-3 are so good. Will we ever get western action games that play that well, with a good budget again?

Sent from Topic'it App

119Chatting about games - Page 3 Empty Re: Chatting about games on Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:13 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
I'd hazard to say "no". Spiderman had potential and some players were pretty in to it, and New Order seems decent with Stig at the wheel. But honestly, they all feel or play like mediocre versions of past titles - at least mechanically.

There might be games that at first draft could be excellent on the level we want here, but most then get turned back to accomodate what they feel will give the most players a sense of enjoyment i.e. low difficulty, feeling of mastery after a single run, not too complicated combat etc.

It would be cool if one western studio suddenly, out of nowhere, made a great AAA action title, 60fps with absolutely fantastic and innovative combat. I think that's also really a problem right now, most play it very safe, using a familiar template. Of all the western games I like, most are based on succesful Japanese games. The only game that comes to mind that's really fantastic from the west, and original, is Doom and its genre. Aside from Vanquish, I cannot think of a single 'unreal' FPS. You guys?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum