Raeng will be on holiday for two weeks, behave guys. See you soon!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Chatting about games

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

51 Re: Chatting about games on Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:07 am

Found this gem of a quote btw, that I love. From Itagaki about Devil May Cry:

I think Kamiya-san makes good games. However, I think they, the systems, gameplay elements in his game tend to be rather shallow and he makes up with that through stylish presentation. I think if you were to compare them directly, the combat and other gameplay elements in Ninja Gaiden II are much deeper than projects that he works on.
...In my games its all based on a back and forth with the enemies, its very interactive. You feel like you're pushed to the brink but you manage to survive, the enemies are as out to get you as you are to get them. Whereas other types of action games, one of which being Devil May Cry, enemies exist there as objects on which you unleash your attacks.

And you know what? I kind of see what he's talking about. Especially about that 'on the brink' part.

View user profile http://stinger.actieforum.com

52 Re: Chatting about games on Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:38 am

Birdman

Hey, that's exactly what I was talking about before. I referred to it as 'combat capability vs. combat exchange'.

View user profile

53 Re: Chatting about games on Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:46 am

Birdman

Yesterday a friend who knows I;m into action games showed me this action RPG called Ys: Dana of something. Watched some other guy play a bit and they were showing me how the last second dodge speeds you up and causes the enemy to slow down, making comparisons to Bayonetta.

Not the type of game I'd usually play but might give it a go if I can rent or find it super cheap.

View user profile

54 Re: Chatting about games on Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:51 am

5does

D-Rank
@Birdman wrote:Yesterday a friend who knows I;m into action games showed me this action RPG called Ys: Dana of something. Watched some other guy play a bit and they were showing me how the last second dodge speeds you up and causes the enemy to slow down, making comparisons to Bayonetta.

Not the type of game I'd usually play but might give it a go if I can rent or find it super cheap.

In theory they're pretty similar but in actual execution they're completely different.

The game has two different 'parries' flash dodge and flash guard. Guard gives a invencible buff + damage increase while dodge gives you invencible buff + slowdown effect for the duration of respective effects. They can be both be active at the same time and even reset if the boss leaves an attack with lots of active frames in the screen. This make it possible to use dodge -> guard -> dodge in a single attack. If you're playing harder difficulties you'll soon realize that defense numbers are uselesss and that the gameplan will be relying on learning the time of attacks and having these at pretty much 100%uptime if you wanna be able to damage to bosses. In the whole game there's like two moves that you can't parry(I don't remember if you can parry certain inflict status moves, but I'm pretty sure you can), so yeah the game will revolve around that quite a lot.

If you're interested you can check any boss on the inferno difficulty to see what I'm talking about.

Also for the rpg side of things, it's pretty basic as you'll be wanting to stack as much damage and flash guard/dodge increased duration that you can, defense is only really useful if you're a new player attempting lower difficulties.

View user profile

55 Re: Chatting about games on Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:57 am

Birdman

Is it a fun system though?

I saw him fighting a boss and they said it was Inferno and the boss was like level 90+. He barely did damage even when getting the flash thing and it took ages to defeat. For some reason I forgot, only one character could hurt the boss. If he selected others, the boss became invisible.

Saw him fight some other monsters (a monster hunt quest) and nothing takes hit stun. It's like everything has super armor. I probably won't enjoy using the same tactic over and over.

When I asked about builds or tactics they only seemed to talk about how strong a certain thing was, rather than anything interesting.

Anyone like the Assassin's Creed series? How's the Ezio Collection?

View user profile

56 Re: Chatting about games on Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:36 am

5does

D-Rank
Fun is really subjective, I personally enjoy the simplistic dodge and parry fast paced combat.

As for tactics, the game is pretty simple and boils down mostly to always having your resource up at all times so you can dish the strongest moves while on flash modes. Weaker mobs have guard gauges and can be juggled once you break it, stronger mobs have no guard gauges but can be stunned after a while, the main problem is that on inferno usually it takes forever to stun mobs so it's fast to just build damage instead. Aside from that there are a few moves that can freeze mobs so you can deal damage to them without the need of flash state. Ultimately there isn't much to talk as far as varied strategies go, it usually boils down to getting down patterns and doing the usual thing on most bosses save for a few exceptions.

That's of course talking as if you've mastered all flashes for all moves and without taking in account human error for flash guard/dodge, if you're not at that level then there's plenty to talk about flashes and patterns such as which moves are easier to time, which ones you should be careful, which moves and which flash you'll use to min/max your damage, etc.

Was this the boss you've been linked?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epGVZBj8XTo

>AssCreed
I've played the first one for a few hours, never really had the interest in the sequels.

View user profile

57 Re: Chatting about games on Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:17 am

Birdman

It wasn't that boss, but it did look similar. Instead of swords, it had claws I think, and it often launched laser spewing orbs.

View user profile

58 Re: Chatting about games on Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:18 am

Pretty sure user @Cryoshock was into the Ys games, though not sure. I recall him mentioning them at some point.

> AssCreed
Fun games, but not very mechanically deep and held back by abysmall controls and AI, as well as way too powerful parries. The Ezio Trilogy is pretty fun though, but very time consuming. I really liked Brotherhood, fun game.

59 Re: Chatting about games on Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:10 am

Birdman

Wasnt that the one where you could summon assassins or special attacks like the arrow rain? That shit was so damn strong.

Overall I dislike the series but I really didnt mind the first few. I think it was Revelations where I knew I couldnt stand another game.

View user profile

60 Re: Chatting about games on Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:12 pm

Yeah that was the one, really fun game. Funny you should mention Revelations, I had the exact same feeling with that game. It was the last one I ever played.

61 Re: Chatting about games on Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:09 am

Birdman

RE Revelations 2 is on sale on the store too. Played it once before and didnt mind it. Anyone played it?

How's Raid Mode? Is the online still active?

View user profile

62 Re: Chatting about games on Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:40 am

Depends on the system, Switch is seeing more activity recently since it is on sale there. Great Raid Mode though. I really loved REREV2, put a lot of hours into that game way back. Was my first PS4 game actually.

63 Re: Chatting about games on Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:44 am

Birdman

It looks fun. I see you level up. Is it grindy and are fights decided by your stats?

View user profile

64 Re: Chatting about games on Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:46 am

Yes, very. Skill factors into it, but if you're outleveled you're basically screwed.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum