You are not connected. Please login or register

Resident Evil (1996) and later versions

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

51Resident Evil (1996) and later versions - Page 2 Empty zero tolerance on Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:52 am

Zenyn

Zenyn
C-Rank
@Royta/Raeng wrote:Not exactly sure what you're saying there Zenyn.

I wanted to comment on the originator without being condescending, since no one here did. And praise your honesty by admitting to have never touched it.

As so much more is a matter of personal opinion, I'll will say this: '96 for me is not the lower bottom of this series. That's Zero. Since there is evidently little if any fresh ideas in it, it's often a step back. You know what I mean if you ever played beyond the train segment. And the "storytelling" (if there ever is something similiar to that term) in Zero is to my mind far worse than any schtick that '96 doles out. In short: I could not write anything worthwhile about that one, as I tried about the only one without a numeral.

52Resident Evil (1996) and later versions - Page 2 Empty Re: Resident Evil (1996) and later versions on Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:20 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
That's fair. I wouldn't call Zero the bottom of the barrel, but it was the turning point where a lot of the team said "we want to do something else", that's for sure. A lot of the content present there seems like scrapped material. I must admit I still really like the game. The train segment is brilliant, the teamsetup pretty interesting and Leech Hunter a lot of fun imo. I'd still put it above RE5, 6 and 7 and maybe over CVX. Though I admit to little love for CVX.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

53Resident Evil (1996) and later versions - Page 2 Empty Re: Resident Evil (1996) and later versions on Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:30 pm

Birdman

Love that train segment.

54Resident Evil (1996) and later versions - Page 2 Empty Re: Resident Evil (1996) and later versions on Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:39 pm

KSubzero1000

KSubzero1000
C-Rank
Zero is the best of the "not great" ones for me. I love it even though it lacks the sheer overall brilliance of REmake or the impeccable pacing of RE2. I would certainly rank it above CVX, RE3 or anything post-RE4 of course.

55Resident Evil (1996) and later versions - Page 2 Empty Re: Resident Evil (1996) and later versions on Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:02 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Above RE3 takes me by surprise. You don't hold that one in high regard? It's my personal favourite barring 4.

56Resident Evil (1996) and later versions - Page 2 Empty leechy on Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:23 pm

Zenyn

Zenyn
C-Rank
@Royta/Raeng wrote: A lot of the content present there seems like scrapped material.

I feel that, too. The premise of the early N64 prototype didn't evolve much further.  

@Royta/Raeng wrote: and Leech Hunter a lot of fun imo.

Exclamation  Exclamation  You mean the mode that awards unlimited ammo for the main game which cannot be toggled off or exchanged for the regular kind? BECAUSE THERE IS NO ITEM BOX AVAILABLE?! Bit of a shot in the foot for a survival game, me thinks.

@Royta/Raeng wrote: Though I admit to little love for CVX.

I hold none. It's like a parody of the original double the length. Lame.

I don't rank games (or much of anything). It's admitting that even average things held my attention long enough to evaluate them. I just replay whatever whenever it sits overall fine with me.

Last edited by Zenyn on Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:33 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typo extermination)

57Resident Evil (1996) and later versions - Page 2 Empty Re: Resident Evil (1996) and later versions on Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:26 pm

KSubzero1000

KSubzero1000
C-Rank
@Royta/Raeng wrote:Above RE3 takes me by surprise. You don't hold that one in high regard?

No, it's the worst of the classic series for me. I'm glad it exists and I think the series would definitely be worse without it, I just find it lacking in many respects.

The Raccoon streets have less personality and a more streamlined layout than the Spencer Mansion or the R.P.D., Nemesis is too mobile for Jill's moveset which makes a lot of the early fights a chore, the only non-Nemesis boss in the game (Grave Digger) is kinda shit, the dodge roll is too temperamental to be relied upon, the Choice Events are usually pointless, and the randomized puzzles are mostly math-based which takes away a lot of their creative potential.

I still love the game for the great OST, pre-rendered backgrounds, Carlos, Nemmy's design, the superb Clock Tower segment and OMJ of course. I just don't think it's quite on the same level as some of the others, unfortunately.

Probably worth clarifying: I played these games for the first time as an adult and replay them regularly, so that probably influences my perspective a bit since my opinions aren't based on cherished childhood memories like many other fans!

Zenyn

Zenyn
C-Rank
Back to the Evil at hand.
Though I played all the modes for the Cube Evil, I never successfully enabled a full No Saves game.
Whenever I start I tend to go macho with Chris, since Jill has many shortcuts.
I have lots to improve. But that is something I sincerely want to do.
Any of you did it?

59Resident Evil (1996) and later versions - Page 2 Empty Re: Resident Evil (1996) and later versions on Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:55 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Interesting, most of the parts you mention are exactly why I love it i.e. Choice Events, the dodge, bosses, Nemesis fights etc. I really went into the game about a year ago and replayed it a few times, really one of my favourites. It's a great action game for me personally, though also because of the randomness which I kind of like. Not a game I'll run to death though.

> no save
Only did it for Jill once, which was tense as hell. Never did it for Chris.

60Resident Evil (1996) and later versions - Page 2 Empty Enter the survival horror on Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:13 pm

Zenyn

Zenyn
C-Rank
My notes ( Laughing ) show that I did Jill No Save last year with hard diff. Saved Barry and lost Chris. Must've felt unremarkable because I forgot I did. Played Chris Once Again today with Forrest haunting and lost to Plant 42 which I hadn't prepared for proper. Takes all some sweet time. On my next try I will let Rebecca start earlier then before. Waiting on her without any side task left isn't fun, let me tell you.

61Resident Evil (1996) and later versions - Page 2 Empty Re: Resident Evil (1996) and later versions on Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:44 pm

hedfone

hedfone
A-Rank
>The original RE is by far the worst of the classic series and I consider it to have been rendered obsolete by the REmake.

Completely disagree. The first is hands down my favorite. Just a perfect package through out. Expertly designed, and it has the best save room theme out of all the games.
I don't get the hype for REmake, maybe I came to it too late, I just didn't like the changes. Looks beautiful though.

62Resident Evil (1996) and later versions - Page 2 Empty Re: Resident Evil (1996) and later versions on Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:06 pm

KSubzero1000

KSubzero1000
C-Rank
@hedfone wrote:it has the best save room theme out of all the games.

I find that hard to agree with considering how REmake's save room music is literally a higher fidelity version of OG RE's save room music.
Exact same melody, better quality all-around:

Which is very much representative of the whole game, in my opinion. To each his own, though! :)

63Resident Evil (1996) and later versions - Page 2 Empty Re: Resident Evil (1996) and later versions on Fri May 01, 2020 12:24 am

Birdman

I consider Zero one of the best for no other reason than I just think so.

64Resident Evil (1996) and later versions - Page 2 Empty Re: Resident Evil (1996) and later versions on Fri May 01, 2020 9:47 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
We all know you love being an underdog supporter Bird Razz

65Resident Evil (1996) and later versions - Page 2 Empty Re: Resident Evil (1996) and later versions on Fri May 01, 2020 1:13 pm

Birdman

Yes. I'm also right and the boss.

66Resident Evil (1996) and later versions - Page 2 Empty Re: Resident Evil (1996) and later versions on Fri May 01, 2020 7:57 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Don't know of any boss in Resident Evil called "Birdman".

67Resident Evil (1996) and later versions - Page 2 Empty Re: Resident Evil (1996) and later versions on Fri May 01, 2020 9:13 pm

hedfone

hedfone
A-Rank
>REmake's save room music is literally a higher fidelity version

To an un trained ear, sure Razz. Tons of subtle differences in the tempo, instruments used, and the pitch of the wailing. OG is more haunting to me, while REmake is more comforting.

68Resident Evil (1996) and later versions - Page 2 Empty Re: Resident Evil (1996) and later versions on Sun May 03, 2020 8:50 pm

RedShot

C-Rank
I've just finished hard difficulty with Jill. Tyrant 1 using the knife was very funny. Knife only, no save and under 3 hours seem to me good challenges. I'm going to do a Chris run on hard and after that I'll play something else, but I want to overcome those trials.

Last edited by RedShot on Mon May 04, 2020 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

69Resident Evil (1996) and later versions - Page 2 Empty Re: Resident Evil (1996) and later versions on Sun May 03, 2020 10:06 pm

KSubzero1000

KSubzero1000
C-Rank
@RedShot

Cool! Very nice to see somebody get into classic RE for the first time in 2020. Do you think you might be interested in playing some of the other older games in the series at some point in the future?

I'm also curious, what kind of horror games have you played in the past and how would you compare REmake to those?

70Resident Evil (1996) and later versions - Page 2 Empty Re: Resident Evil (1996) and later versions on Sun May 03, 2020 10:18 pm

Birdman

I have the original Japanese PS1 version in a box somewhere.
I'm surprised it hasn't crumbled to dust yet.

Last edited by Birdman on Mon May 04, 2020 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total

71Resident Evil (1996) and later versions - Page 2 Empty Re: Resident Evil (1996) and later versions on Mon May 04, 2020 1:17 am

RedShot

C-Rank
@KSubzero1000 I love this game and I'll definitely play RE2 and the other ones. I wanted to get RE4 but I decided to start from the beginning. Not disappointed at all! I was a bit worried of "tank" controls but I like this idea, it works perfectly and there are also helpful audio cues. By the way, I'm not an expert of horror games. I tried some first person horror titles like Outlast, Amnesia and Penumbra but I didn't like them too much gameplay-wise. I don't know if they are considered horror but I have good memories of Bioshock and Condemned.

72Resident Evil (1996) and later versions - Page 2 Empty Re: Resident Evil (1996) and later versions on Mon May 04, 2020 1:46 am

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
A-Rank
Very nice, if you’re feeling up for it, Real Survival is a great challenge. The next several mainline RE titles are amazing, you’re in for a good time man.

73Resident Evil (1996) and later versions - Page 2 Empty Re: Resident Evil (1996) and later versions on Sun May 17, 2020 8:48 pm

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
B-Rank
New TGBS about REmake

Haven't played Resident Evil 1-3 in a long while, so I can't comment. Editing is better than usual, though.

74Resident Evil (1996) and later versions - Page 2 Empty Re: Resident Evil (1996) and later versions on Mon May 18, 2020 7:24 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
I admit that I just can't stomach his Road to Rocketlauncher series anymore after how horrible the first few ones were made, just reading the maps aloud with a few 'ah if you go here, then now you can go there' without any sort of analysis. His "I couldn't find proof that CVX would be RE3 originally, so I'm going to ignore that" statement really irked me as you can find proof of that after a minute of googling.

So yeah, not going to watch it. I'll let someone else suffer through it! Razz If it's good though, let me know.

75Resident Evil (1996) and later versions - Page 2 Empty Re: Resident Evil (1996) and later versions on Mon May 18, 2020 9:56 am

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
B-Rank
Just skimmed the other ones, since I've never actually watched them, and... They're honestly not that much different from this one. I thought the editing was better than usual for his videos, but it's actually the exact same.

So it's probably not very hard-hitting analysis.

76Resident Evil (1996) and later versions - Page 2 Empty Re: Resident Evil (1996) and later versions on Mon May 18, 2020 3:12 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
A-Rank
Charlie has sounded bored in every video of his in the last two years. I only made a few minutes into this before turning it off. Really not trying to be a negative but I can’t stand the guy anymore. Him and Cvit pretending to be ambassadors of action games just makes me cringe. I can’t do it.

77Resident Evil (1996) and later versions - Page 2 Empty Re: Resident Evil (1996) and later versions on Tue May 19, 2020 1:53 am

hebass

D-Rank
This is neat, lots of people playing Resident Evil :) Within the past year I played through the original PS1 version of RE fully to unlock everything and loved every moment of it. Excellent experience and still very fun today! Well designed and great pace. I'll play RE: Director's Cut next time to see the differences. I have also played the GC remake and the newest remake on PS4...which I played first and I was surprised to see how great it was to still play the original even after playing the newer entries! Maybe one day I'll try RE2 & beyond...

78Resident Evil (1996) and later versions - Page 2 Empty Re: Resident Evil (1996) and later versions on Tue May 19, 2020 8:07 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
I heard the Director's Cut really changed a lot of things (for the better) which is fantastic. If you haven't already Hebass, and you have the time, this video by Lotus on the changes is really fantastic and in-depth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Cfnl6Bt8_o

It's extremely indepth but well worth a watch. The only thing he forgot to mention iirc is that the PS4 release added more jigglephysics haha. He's apparently not as pervy.

Which games have you played so far in the series?

79Resident Evil (1996) and later versions - Page 2 Empty Re: Resident Evil (1996) and later versions on Wed May 20, 2020 3:16 am

hebass

D-Rank
Thanks for the video link, that's pretty detailed. I love that the game gets modified with all of the releases slightly. That's what makes me want to play them all, even the N64 version!

I haven't played many in the series to this point.

- GameCube remake RE1 (played in early 2000s, didn't complete it).
- PS4 remake (a couple of years ago with my Wife, Platinum trophy).
- RE Zero on PS4 (immediately after previous, didn't get too far).
- PS1 Original - Loved it! Played it every which way.

That's it so far. I was thinking of playing all actual releases in chronological release date time. So Director's Cut would be next, followed by Resident Evil 2, then the Dual Shock version of Director's Cut. For some reason, I really like to play games in release order haha.

80Resident Evil (1996) and later versions - Page 2 Empty Re: Resident Evil (1996) and later versions on Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:35 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Going to get the original game, just wanted to check to be sure: https://store.playstation.com/nl-nl/product/EP0102-NPEF00163_00-GRESIDENTE000001?utm_source=google

I should get this one right?

81Resident Evil (1996) and later versions - Page 2 Empty Re: Resident Evil (1996) and later versions on Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:57 pm

hedfone

hedfone
A-Rank
Yes I am so proud of you Roy. Today, you become a man, a real true gamer.

82Resident Evil (1996) and later versions - Page 2 Empty Re: Resident Evil (1996) and later versions on Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:42 pm

hebass

D-Rank
That's awesome man, have fun!

Zenyn

Zenyn
C-Rank
What is a man? A miserable little pile of geekness! But enough talk... Have at a Jill Sand Witch!

Uh, duh!:
Belmont and Redfield share the same VA.

AeternalSolitude

AeternalSolitude
D-Rank
I honestly really like OG RE. I feel it has the fewest interruptions then any of the classic series (story-wise) making the unskip-able scenes less egregious then 2 and 3. It still has plenty of depth when it comes to planning routes and what-not. And the VO is really charming and fun (I love how genuinely hurt Wesker sounds when Chris laughs at him).

Not my favorite RE. Probably not the best either. But in my mind at least, it's the purest.

Still never done arrange mode sadly. I'll have to get on that. I hear "Deadly Silence" is the best version, can anyone here confirm that?

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
I might postpone this for a few days, as I maybe have gotten a bid in on a used version of the disc on PS1 for only a tenner, would be steal if true. Otherwise I'll just get the EU version on PS3. Need to get a good PS3-controller anyway to play the Vita God of War's down the line, so might as well use this as an excuse haha.

> deadly silence
I heard that a lot on Reddit too, but also hear it's filled with Quality of Life features and some mini-games that involve the touchcontrols. Not sure I'm keen on that.

Zenyn

Zenyn
C-Rank
@AeternalSolitude wrote: I hear "Deadly Silence" is the best version, can anyone here confirm that?

What is a "best" actually? Ask your best friend. Or your best man. With the best test.

Well, I am one of the few who can claim to have played Deadly Science. And it does what's expected in using the devises of the system. The best feature would surely be the designated button for reloading, right? For purists who can't abide the knifing game there's always Original Mode.
Original enough for ya?

AeternalSolitude

AeternalSolitude
D-Rank
@Royta/Raeng wrote:> deadly silence
I heard that a lot on Reddit too, but also hear it's filled with Quality of Life features and some mini-games that involve the touchcontrols. Not sure I'm keen on that.

As long as it keeps the controls tanky I'm cool with some Quality of Life upgrades. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Bought the PSN version, so far having a very good time! It's weird to now play it side by side with the Remake in mind. For one, the style is so different it boggles my mind. Everyone says how action-y RE2 is but this game is pretty action too, swimming in ammo, cool bosses, pretty mobile, slow enemies. You can hit pretty hard. The flavour of the cutscenes is also the most ham I've ever seen. REmake was very more 'serious' I felt, also in style, music etc. That game was really scary to me, this isn't at all.

Of all the things I expected to like though, I ended up liking the lack of something the most: it doesn't have any gimmicks. It's pure Resident Evil, which is logical since it's the first. There's no A/B scenario. No Mister X or Nemesis. No mid-game character swap. No Crimson Heads. No item-dropping or dual character nonsense. You pick a character, a difficulty, and go. That's it.

In a sense it is also a bit dull maybe as a result, perhaps. But I kind of like that. Just pure Resident Evil. Just beat Jawn and making my way through the cabins now.

hedfone

hedfone
A-Rank
>Everyone says how action-y RE2 is but this game is pretty action too

Biggest surprise playing RE 1 and 2 is RE has always been an action series. REmake was the only one that punished action with the crimson heads.

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
On a side note: I still hate the garden section with its dogs haha!

Birdman

If there was a gaming jail you would be in it right now.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum