You are not connected. Please login or register

Resident Evil 4

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

101Resident Evil 4 - Page 3 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4 on Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:11 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
> MGR:R
I own both version yeah, the Japanese release is very different in tone. My Japanese was a lot better then than it is now. The script is mostly the same in between versions, but the voice-actor handled Jack very differently in Japanese.

> Mercs in RE4
I think RE5 and its expansions kind of overshadowed it for a lot of people, but RE4 still has quite a couple of cool runners that are going at it. I think it also says something about the balance of a quality campaign, since RE4's campaign is really good, so a lot of people play just that. Kind of how a lot more people play NG3:RE's trials than NGB or NGII, since NG3:RE's trials aren't necessarily better...but the campaign is just so ass haha. Dunno, just my 5 cents.

That said, at the time, it was huge as noted. Do you remember the name of that site I mentioned? I've been trying to find it...

https://stinger.actieforum.com

102Resident Evil 4 - Page 3 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4 on Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:34 am

KSubzero1000

KSubzero1000
C-Rank
@Royta/Raeng wrote:
Do you remember the name of that site I mentioned? I've been trying to find it...

No, sorry. I only got into Mercs starting with the Wii edition, and I never really got involved with any official scoring website at the time. Most of my bookmarks went down over the years, too.

103Resident Evil 4 - Page 3 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4 on Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:48 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Yeah it was probably long gone by that time. Shame, it was a pretty cool site. Also had these annotated guides for all the RE games with pictures and text.

104Resident Evil 4 - Page 3 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4 on Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:54 pm

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
C-Rank
> RE5/6

Do you think the popularity of Mercs in those games is down to the expanded melee/movement mechanics? Not that they're necessarily better, but I could see why people might find it more engaging. If RE6 came out as a Mercs-only spin off and featured more Mercs content in place of a story mode (kind of like that 3DS game) it probably would have been better received.

105Resident Evil 4 - Page 3 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4 on Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:22 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
I think the expanded moveset, larger cast of characters, extra maps etc all helped. Mercs on RE5 Remastered has like 18~ characters which is absolutely crazy. Think the co-op also added a lot to it. Never played RE6 mercs but heard a ton of good stuff about it.

EDIT: one thing I do feel, is that they are better received since they are also a tad easier. RE5 and RE6 have a very clear 'best way' to play (just use melee, and if not go for combo kills), and RE6 has things like built in QTE-counters. While RE4 is more 'pure' in that it's fully on you the player to get that highscore. Not to mention RE4 mercs only has Leon unlocked at the start.

106Resident Evil 4 - Page 3 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4 on Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:32 pm

KSubzero1000

KSubzero1000
C-Rank
@Gregorinho wrote:> RE5/6

Do you think the popularity of Mercs in those games is down to the expanded melee/movement mechanics?

I think there are probably different factors.

First of all, I think Roy is right and that the insane quality of RE4's main game sort of overshadows all the other modes, for better or for worse. Tone is also a factor, a lot of players are drawn to RE4 due to the slow-paced and oppressive atmosphere of the Village and consider it to be a horror game first and foremost (I disagree with that assessment, but that's how a lot perceive it). But then they often end up disappointed as the action ramps up on the Island and won't be giving much thought to playing an even more action-focused mode afterwards.

Second, RE5/6 Mercs are undeniably more complex with an even higher skill ceiling. I think they lose out on a lot of the fine-tuning, polish, organic play and balance that make RE4 Mercs so remarkable, but there is definitely an even higher incentive to get better at it for the super serious score chasers. Plus the expanded melee system, all the different stages and playable characters... RE5/6 Mercs WR strats are really complex, even more so than RE4's. A bit like the distinction between NGB and NG2/3RE.

Third, RE5 came out at a time when internet gaming culture was significantly more active than in 2005 when RE4 came out. That plus the coop nature of RE5 in general means that it automatically generated a lot more enthusiasm and activity by default. So the wider Mercs community basically started with RE5. And people generally don't tend to replay older games, so...

To give you an idea, biohazardmercenaries (the main Mercs forum) was always completely centered around RE5, and they even removed their RE4 section entirely during their last layout update.

107Resident Evil 4 - Page 3 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4 on Fri May 01, 2020 11:42 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Been watching Matthewmathosis's old RE4 stream, and he goes a bit in depth regarding the NTSC/PAL differences. One part he notes got me thinking though, namely the value of weapons and preferences and how the versions play into that. How one version has less ammo, but less enemy HP and how that could make some rely on one weapon more than the other. Can image the TMP has less value in the PAL release for example since you're not as swarmed with ammo and it isn't a murder weapon anyway.

Thought that was pretty fun. His playthrough is pretty low quality in terms of gameplay skill but it's still a fun watch.

Watching it does remind me of just how much I knife the game when I play it. I see him using the shotgun regularly and I just raise an eyebrow there haha. Then again, my save-games always ended with me being absolutely swarmed with nearly two full Striker clips and godknows how many handgun and magnum rounds. Maybe a no-knife run would actually be fun...

108Resident Evil 4 - Page 3 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4 on Sun May 03, 2020 11:03 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Another thing I didn't know, but apparently the voice-lines of enemies are also tied to situations like in Vanquish. "¡Detrás de tí, imbécil!" is only said when they are behind you, nice touch. Anyone here knew this? I always thought all the lines were just filler, but apparently some do mean something. Wonder if other lines are tells as well.

109Resident Evil 4 - Page 3 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4 on Sun May 03, 2020 11:21 am

KSubzero1000

KSubzero1000
C-Rank
@Royta/Raeng wrote:Another thing I didn't know, but apparently the voice-lines of enemies are also tied to situations like in Vanquish. "¡Detrás de tí, imbécil!" is only said when they are behind you, nice touch. Anyone here knew this?

Yep, that one literally means "Behind you, imbecile!", so that's a good one to memorize. It's super reliable, too. Whenever you hear it you (almost?) always have enough time to either relocate or turn around and deal with the enemy before they attack you.

I don't know of any other specific voice lines off the top of my head, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were more!

110Resident Evil 4 - Page 3 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4 on Sun May 03, 2020 12:22 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Pretty cool, loved how vocal lines always meant something in Vanquish as well, cool stuff.

111Resident Evil 4 - Page 3 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4 on Sun May 03, 2020 5:45 pm

Khayyaam

Khayyaam
D-Rank
There's several lines that mean "Get him/grab him" and you can usually expect an enemy to attempt to grab you (or Ashley) after that, there's also lines for pursuing/cutting you off if you run away.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum