9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Resident Evil Village  Empty Resident Evil Village Mon May 03, 2021 1:30 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Psychobreak
Expert on The Evil Within

Figured I’d make this since it releases in a few days.

Looks to be doing some kind of mixture of 4+7+demakes. I played the demos and the village one was pretty bad honestly. I wouldn’t mind coming across this section in the game but it didn’t work as a demo at all. The castle bit was a lot better, there really seemed to be a central hub area of locked doors and different paths, like the mansion in RE1.

Didn’t really look at the shop, just saw the shotgun and bought it. Enemies seem to come in higher numbers than what we saw in RE2 remake and 7 from what we’ve seen so far. It’s hard to really pick apart anything mechanical from how short the demo was(it was literally one fight with about 5-7 enemies) and I didn’t get to experiment much. The inventory system is obviously bringing back what RE4 did(the devs even said as much) so maybe we’ll see a really fleshed out arsenal.

I played the demo on my PS5 and it looks insanely good and feels great too. The guns feel a bit better than they did in the remakes, though not as good as in 4 and 5. Blocking is still weird to me.

Anyway, will pick it up day one since I’m off work. Anyone else?

2Resident Evil Village  Empty Re: Resident Evil Village Mon May 03, 2021 2:38 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Was one of the original users
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I'm probably picking it up as part of a resolution that I want to play a bit more modern stuff again. Feel I'm getting a bit out of touch (though to be fair, the new shit tends to be ... well... shit).

Will probably get the X1X version though since I don't have a Series X or PS5 yet.

That said it really gives me RE4 vibes with some 'forced walking' shoved in and the FPS camera (which I loath). Here's hoping it's good!

https://stinger.actieforum.com

3Resident Evil Village  Empty Re: Resident Evil Village Mon May 03, 2021 6:39 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

>play modern stuff again
I want to do this as well, but almost every time I try I’m disappointed. Nearly every game with a budget  now has either open world, rpg elements, arkham combat(disgusting), and/or forced walking. Devs and publishers aren’t taking risks and are so deathly scared of maybe inconveniencing players with new ideas once in a while. It’s partially why I give modern Capcom credit where most of their fans don’t anymore: they still make linear, replayable games. The quality isn’t quite what it used to be, but their heart is in the right place.

>RE4 with forced walking
If it’s anything like 2/3 remakes, most of the talking should be skippable. Here’s hoping.

>loathe FPS camera
I never liked FPS camera but Bioshock 2 showed me first person combat can be excellent. I think this has potential. We’ll see!

4Resident Evil Village  Empty Re: Resident Evil Village Mon May 03, 2021 9:04 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor

Interested but not buying right now. Partly because the next game I'm getting is Biomutant and partly because I know there will be an RE8 Gold Edition.

5Resident Evil Village  Empty Re: Resident Evil Village Tue May 04, 2021 2:23 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

>Gold Edition
Don’t forget the PS6 version.

6Resident Evil Village  Empty Re: Resident Evil Village Tue May 04, 2021 3:31 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> RE8 Gold Edition
Wonder if they'll manage to one day release a Gold Edition and then *still* make DLC for it.

7Resident Evil Village  Empty Re: Resident Evil Village Tue May 04, 2021 7:57 pm

hedfone

hedfone
A-Rank
Veteran

The RE7 dlc had parrys, context stun moves like RE4, and I believe downed attacks.
They also had an entire melee character dlc.

And for RE8 we get this. So disappointing in the look of the shooting. Idk if I can do another RE with bad FPS shooting.

8Resident Evil Village  Empty Re: Resident Evil Village Tue May 04, 2021 8:23 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

I’m really amazed by how much casuals are obsessed with how a game “feels”(which I care about too, it’s just what I focus on), yet these big budget games almost always have limp feeling shooting and other attacks(2 remake was a huge offender). If only there was a director whose games always had satisfying feeling combat, who also created this series...

>7 dlc
Never played it. I’ll try it before this releases.

9Resident Evil Village  Empty Re: Resident Evil Village Tue May 04, 2021 8:36 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

RE7 doesn't appeal to me *at all* sadly, would you say the DLC is worth a shot, and if so which one? They are on GamePass from what I saw.

10Resident Evil Village  Empty Re: Resident Evil Village Tue May 04, 2021 9:12 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

I don't think the DLC is going to matter if you don't like the main game.

11Resident Evil Village  Empty DLC 1 of 8: The Dark Marketplace Wed May 05, 2021 11:51 am

Razz That title, though. Yes, nice stealth Roman numeral.

Didn't expect that one would beat Code Veronica X, which sounds like a real product, but I was wrong.
The games that get produced for the PlayBox kids these days. Makes me jolly. Have at it.

12Resident Evil Village  Empty Re: Resident Evil Village Thu May 06, 2021 8:36 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

First reviews are coming out. It really seems to be first-person RE4, but with very lacking boss fights at first glance (wouldn't be surprised, they've been stuck in the "shoot big yellow spot" for a while now). Still debating whether or not to pick it up day one.

13Resident Evil Village  Empty Re: Resident Evil Village Thu May 06, 2021 3:21 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

I just really hope this one has more elaborate combat than what we got in 7 and the remakes. Otherwise I’ll just do a few speedruns and call it a day, which I obviously don’t want.

14Resident Evil Village  Empty Re: Resident Evil Village Thu May 06, 2021 9:13 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

If this has a strong focus on blocking and doing that counter I'm not playing it.

15Resident Evil Village  Empty Re: Resident Evil Village Thu May 06, 2021 9:40 pm

hedfone

hedfone
A-Rank
Veteran

Seraphim 17 did a demo stream with an infinite timer mod. It looked roughhh,
Enemies couldn't enter houses so you could just stand in the door way and shoot them un harmed.
If you went into the house they would leash back to their spawn points.
They don't run back they actually teleport, right in front of your eyes, pop across the map to their spawn.

1 hour 3 minute mark on this VOD. I hope the full game isn't like this.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1009640916

16Resident Evil Village  Empty Re: Resident Evil Village Fri May 07, 2021 4:41 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

I recall similar in 7. Those rotten zombie things were limited to certain areas. If you left they would jump back into the black shit on the walls so you couldn't snipe them.

That teleporting thing sounds awful. Seriously doubt it will be in the full game.

17Resident Evil Village  Empty Re: Resident Evil Village Fri May 07, 2021 3:02 pm

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
A-Rank

All my friends have been excited by this so I've decided to go for it, got it installing now. Opinions sound mixed, so I hope I'll be in the camp that enjoys it. I should get a chance to play a few hours tonight.

18Resident Evil Village  Empty Re: Resident Evil Village Fri May 07, 2021 3:04 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Somehow managed to get the ending spoiled for me (in a tweet). I'll probably still get it down the line since it is basically RE4 lite.

19Resident Evil Village  Empty Re: Resident Evil Village Sat May 08, 2021 3:14 am

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
A-Rank

Played about 5 hours, enjoying it so far. I'm not the most qualified person to talk RE, but if anyone has questions I can try and answer them.

> Spoiled
FFS, spoiled day one? The Internet is full of dicks.

20Resident Evil Village  Empty Re: Resident Evil Village Sat May 08, 2021 2:50 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

I have also played about 5 hours. Just did the obligatory “cramped section where the game is supposed to be extra scary”. I will admit, the game got a very audible “what the fuck?” out of me haha.

So far, I’m enjoying it. Calling it RE4 lite is pretty accurate I’d say. There’s more than one weapon for some classes, and since there’s no item box I sold off the original guns I had(which kind of sucks, I wanted to compare their stats more). Upgrades work exactly as you’d expect, they’re even the same kinds of upgrades from RE4(no crit like TEW though).

The guns themselves perform about how I expected too. There’s obviously no melee follow up, but leg shots cause the zombie-esque enemies to go down on one knee. They also don’t completely tank your shots, they’ll get stunned after a couple shots. The shotguns are good, but they don’t have the massive spread from RE4. Knocking enemies down and following up with some knife attacks has been working well for me. The sniper rifle is really powerful but I can’t tell if it pierces(the base scope and weapon sway are terrible). Mines and pipe bombs work well enough, though I used them both against this game’s version of Mr. X and neither of them did much.

Enemies so far are kind of eh. The Lycans do this dash after you shoot them, so the pistol sucks against them it seems. There are these flying enemies that the game clearly wants you to snipe, but the way they move is so annoying I just wait for them to get close and use the shotgun. They’re not aggressive at all so fighting them is kind of whatever.

Without spoiling anything too much, the encounters are definitely trying to be RE4, and...none of them are as good. I’ll let you guys see for yourselves. On the plus side, the castle was actually a really great area, felt very classic RE, a nice variety of areas with a lot to find. The village is a bigger part of the game than I realized, and overall, I’d say the level and world design seem stronger than I thought they would be. Surprised at how much I’m using the map and exploring.

I will say, there are fairly significant stretches of the game with little to no enemies. For a game that the devs are saying took huge inspiration from RE4, I was expecting constant action. I have a feeling this is going to pull a 7 and save a lot of dull fights for the end.

21Resident Evil Village  Empty Re: Resident Evil Village Sat May 08, 2021 4:20 pm

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
A-Rank

I think I know exactly which bit you mean by the "extra scary" bit...yeah, it was a bit tense. I also let out quite an audible "oh my god nope". I'm not really a horror fan so RE is about as scary as I go, and that bit was scarier than anything from the other games I've played (OG2, 4, 5 & 6).

Played a few more hours this morning, still enjoying it. I've reached a section I noticed some reviewers said was a bit of a slog, and I kind of agree. Looking forward to moving past it. Combat has taken a bit of a nose dive in this area.

The sniper rifle does pierce, I managed to get a 2-for-1 headshot on a pair of Lycans before. It may only pierce on headshots though, I'm not sure.

Some enemies are very mobile in this game, which can make them a little annoying as noted above. The combat doesn't seem to have as many "rules" as RE4 did. It's harder to learn what works and what doesn't. It feels like there is less definition to the "combat sandbox" if that makes sense. It's a little hard to describe. It does use a lot of the same systems as RE4 though, with a merchant character, weapon upgrades, treasure to sell, inventory tetris etc.

I think Mercenaries could be pretty good in this game, just have a feeling that the mechanics and systems will lend well to it. I'll give it a go once I beat the game.

I too am a little bit concerned that the final act of the game is going to be a bit dull gameplay-wise...I really enjoyed my first 5 or so hours, so I hope it reaches those heights as I continue.

22Resident Evil Village  Empty Re: Resident Evil Village Sat May 08, 2021 9:52 pm

hedfone

hedfone
A-Rank
Veteran

What difficulty are you guys on?

My GF is playing this while I watch occasionally, she is pretty bad at games and it is easy even for her.
The pre order bonus gives you like 20 shotgun shells and 50 pistol bullets.
I heard hardcore is a little tough at the start.

I hate to be overly negative, but the action in this looks horrendous.  Movement specifically.
RE7 was tolerable for me because it had little combat.
The exploration and set pieces look really fun in this though, just like 7, mixed feelings.
I watched the ending and some bosses, I probably will never play this, not sure.

23Resident Evil Village  Empty Re: Resident Evil Village Sat May 08, 2021 11:42 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

I’m playing on Standard. It’s very easy so far, I have yet to die.

>action looks horrendous
It’s certainly not the best, but what specifically do you think looks bad? Just the feel of it all? The guns and enemy reactions are definitely limp compared to RE4.

>exploration and set pieces
Probably the high point for me. Revisiting the village and going back to the earlier areas is a lot of fun. There are some good set pieces and events too, though some of them aren’t going to be particularly great for subsequent playthroughs.

24Resident Evil Village  Empty Re: Resident Evil Village Sun May 09, 2021 12:28 am

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
A-Rank

I'm also on Standard. Didn't die up until a particular boss, and that was only because I was slow to figure out that you're supposed to find cover to dodge an AoE attack. Between the general level of challenge and the craft-able items, the game isn't very hard at all.

It's not as fun as RE4 as an action title, but it's a better horror game - not that RE4 was really trying to be one, to be fair. I don't think this game will be considered as one that surpasses Mikami's legendary title.

There are definitely bits that won't hold up on subsequent playthroughs. The scripted set pieces (run away from scary enemy etc), puzzles, maybe the boss fights too.

25Resident Evil Village  Empty Re: Resident Evil Village Sun May 09, 2021 3:15 am

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
A-Rank

Just finished the game - overall, I would say it's good. Total playtime clocked at 8hr10m. The bit that was a slog was actually the last main area before final stretch of the game, which was... a bit crazy, to say the least. I've heard an analogy on a few reviews where they compare the game's structure to a theme park, whereby there are a whole bunch of different gameplay experiences under the one title. It's a pretty good analogy, as there are varying types of both horror and action. While the execution of the game isn't perfect, I don't think I can fault Capcom for effort. To me, it doesn't feel like a lazy game at all as there is a lot of variety.

The ending was a bit... meh. It had good notes, but left me a bit flat, all in all. I'm not really clued up on the wider RE story, but I did watch an RE7 story recap on YT beforehand so I at least knew what Ethan's story was coming in to this game. I kinda want to talk about it, but I also don't, partly because I don't want to share spoilers while the game is brand new but also I don't know what to say about it! Ethan's writing just makes him seem like a total idiot. He might be the worst character in the game. He just says dumb shit all the time.

The boss fights were kind of crap. The last one might have been my favourite, but it wasn't especially good. They're still "sidestep attack, shoot glowing weakpoint". A lot of games do this but at least they still have things like interesting movement to keep you engaged.

The intention is definitely for you to do repeat playthroughs as there is all kinds of stuff you still don't have unlocked at the end of the game. My concern though, is how good this will be on additional playthroughs. I know RE megafans will do many playthroughs of their favourites, but I'm not sure what the appeal will be in collecting all the key items again, solving all the puzzles etc. RE4's replay value relies on the combat sandbox, and I'm not sure this game really prioritises it's combat design, despite having a good amount of fights across the game.

I've had one go of the Mercenaries mode, and I enjoyed it. I like the new structure it has, and the new abilities system, allowing you to find character upgrades around the levels, giving you some pretty major (and fun!) buffs. You are given a set amount of money to start each level with, and each level is broken up in to multiple areas. You can use currency earned from killing enemies to upgrade your weapons and buy supplies between areas. Completing levels with higher ranks yields better rewards. You need an A Rank to unlock the next stage, and I only got a B, so I'll be trying to improve my scores tomorrow. I'll wait for true RE fans to get to grips with it and give their opinions, but I reckon this could be one of the best iterations of Mercs in the series.

26Resident Evil Village  Empty Re: Resident Evil Village Sun May 09, 2021 6:07 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Who in the fuck thought comparing this to RE4 was a good idea?

27Resident Evil Village  Empty Re: Resident Evil Village Sun May 09, 2021 9:46 am

hedfone

hedfone
A-Rank
Veteran

>but what specifically do you think looks bad?

I think if you played this on hardcore you would think it is kind of ass after that first village fight.
Specifically, if you bump something while sprinting you stop running, if you spin around while running you cannot move backwards for about a second, and the backwards movement is painfully slow in general.
Enemies have worse hit reactions than TEW2 and that is saying something. I shot 20 bullets into the first lycan on hardcore and he was still alive.

@Birdman you will HATE this game. Or at least the combat. I would call it trash, but trash sometimes has something valuable in it.

Also Village of Shadows difficulty seems difficult. This stream is a pleasure for the first hour. Excited to see what speed runners, challenge runs, and if knife only/no damage is possible.

28Resident Evil Village  Empty Re: Resident Evil Village Mon May 10, 2021 3:28 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

I really need to beat it so I can really talk about everything. I’m currently at the factory, and I’ve enjoyed the last few bits. The den with the big fight and the boss was fun, and the factory is a good area, if the layout is a bit...unusual. Been seeing a lot of complaints about the enemy designs here but I don’t have a problem with it.

Got some light TEW vibes from the saw blades that could be used on the enemies. Wish there was more stuff like that. I also bought the last handgun, expecting it to be automatic for whatever reason, and it isn’t. I will say, one of the only criticisms I have of RE4, is that the different guns in each class tend to get redundant, and here the problem seems even worse. Each shotgun and handgun seem to just be way better than the previous ones, unless I just haven’t messed around with them enough.

> Who in the fuck thought comparing this to RE4 was a good idea?
If I see “it’s basically RE4 in first person” one more time...

>movement
I agree, it’s not good. Everyone shits on the old games for their “clunky” controls, but they were responsive and consistent; they worked exactly as intended, each and every time. I actually think RE5 controls much worse than 4, because it’s just not as consistent(and the right stick trick is gone afaik).

>20 bullets into lycan
I can believe it. They’re a pretty “whatever” alternative to Ganados. One thing that’s so brilliant about RE4 is how useful handguns remain for the entire game, and it’s because of how they work with Ganados. The handgun really doesn’t do anything to Lycans other than deal a small amount of damage. It kind of makes me wish there were more of the other zombie like enemies instead.

>call it trash
As someone who went into this expecting to be annoyed at best, and is also a massive RE4/TEW fanboy, I personally wouldn’t call it trash at all. There’s really not much here you can’t get from just playing RE4, but I’ve been surprised a few times by what the game allows and what’s available. But I want to do a few playthroughs before I have a verdict.

29Resident Evil Village  Empty Re: Resident Evil Village Mon May 10, 2021 4:12 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I even saw people noting that Capcom should cancel its RE4-remake since RE8 is already RE4 but better. I haven't even played RE8 and that comment made my head spin.

> weapons in RE4 get redundant
The only weapon I would say is left a bit out is the Riot Gun. Of the handguns they all fill a unique niche i.e. headshots, penetration gimmick, speed and damage respectively. Both snipers fullfill a role i.e. speed vs damage, the original boltaction being akin to a slow magnum. The two magnums are pretty obvious, one being a moneysink to get to its true 50 damage potential, the other being straight off the bat great.

The original shotgun is good for the entire game and its exclusive is pretty neat, allowing for borderline shotgun sniping, while the striker is great for having 100 free shots which can really carry you near the end.

I never saw it as "gun x overwrites gun y" in most of the cases. There's always a case to be made for using one or the other, though obviously you have to make a choice due to the inventory system.

> RE8 difficulties
Most of the notes I'm hearing is that enemy HP values are pumped to insane degrees to compensate NG+ runs where players with maxed out gear are going into the higher settings. Which...kinda sucks. Never a fan of HP-bloat.

30Resident Evil Village  Empty Re: Resident Evil Village Mon May 10, 2021 4:56 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

>RE4 weapons
The shotguns is mostly what I meant yeah, I don’t know why I said classes(plural). I usually will use a different handgun each playthrough, and it took me about 10 runs before I ever touched the broken butterfly, which I use all the time now. In terms of x gun replacing y, I was referring to RE8 specifically, to be clear. Hoping that isn’t the case when I mess with them more.

>RE8 is 4 but better
Far less hit reactions, considerably less enemy rules and patterns, fewer and more shallow guns, far less total enemies both per room and overall, less encounter variety, less enemy variety in terms of the weapons they have, no melee at all which removes using of iframes, grouping, free damage, AOE knockback, ringouts, etc, the weird block now takes the place of just backing out of the way of attack, worse controls(yeah I said it), worse pacing, worse music, etc.

But I guess it’s better because “clunky, outdated, janky”. The honeymoon phase people get into with games is INSANE.

>highest difficulty
It seems that health pools are indeed crazy. RE3 remake’s highest difficulty was also designed with NG+ items in mind, which is why it seems like such a poorly designed mess. Depending on how it is, I’ll just try to finish it once and then stick with hardcore.

31Resident Evil Village  Empty Re: Resident Evil Village Mon May 10, 2021 7:02 pm

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
A-Rank

> RE8 vs REmake4
I'm fully convinced that this game is being used as a sort of tester to see how well they could adapt some of RE4's systems in to the first-person RE7 formula. I fully expect that REmake 4 will be first-person, as I don't think making it third-person will be considered transformative enough by Capcom.

When I said previously that Village has less definition to the combat sandbox, Infinity's comment above is exactly what I struggled to say. I knew an RE4 vet would be able to articulate it. Thanks!

> RE8 Guns
The whole gun situation is a bit weird, isn't it? When I found the M1911 I didn't bother using it as I felt like it made the starting pistol I'd gotten all the available upgrades on a waste. Conversely, I dropped the first Shotgun shortly before the end of the game when another became available that considerably outclassed it in damage, even though I'd gotten all possible upgrades for the first gun. I noticed that you can buy your old guns back with their upgrades automatically applied - did RE4 work this way? I'm not sure I ever tried it.

Is there more than one Sniper Rifle in the game? I didn't notice another.

> NG+
Super inflated HP doesn't sound fun. I don't mind a moderate increase but it's easy to make enemies spongey and as a result no longer fun. Is Hardcore balanced around NG or NG+?

32Resident Evil Village  Empty Re: Resident Evil Village Mon May 10, 2021 9:05 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> guns
Yeah the weapons in RE4 are pretty nicely done for a game in its genre, not too much bloat and everything shas some sort of niche to it.

> RE4 testing
I hear a lot of complaints in ... our circles haha... that it mostly seems to borrow superficial elements from RE4. I.e. the tetris-case is back, but space is never an issue. The merchant returns, but money and treasure play a far less prominent role etc.

> RE4 first person
I'm pretty sure they'll keep the Remakes in the same style as RE2-3make and the next numeral games in the 7-style. They seem to have settled in that and it's working for them. That said the entire timeline of the games is a fucking mess now due to all these remakes.

> RE4 upgrades
If you sold an upgraded gun and bought it again it was un-upgraded. You could use this to 'buy ammo' in a sense (sell an empty gun, rebuy it and use its now available capacitiy upgrades for free reloads once again).

>combat
Can you at least shoot weapons out of their hands or change their states somehow? Or is it really just "shoot, kill, block"?

33Resident Evil Village  Empty Re: Resident Evil Village Mon May 10, 2021 9:23 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>since RE8 is already RE4 but better.
Mechanically blind losers. They never knew the depth of RE4. They just saw the item case in 8 and think it's the same game.

>guns
RE4 did a great job.

34Resident Evil Village  Empty Re: Resident Evil Village Tue May 11, 2021 2:13 am

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
A-Rank

> Combat
Yes, you can shoot weapons out of the enemy's hands. You can still stun enemies with head/leg shots, but the game really does feel like it's missing something without the context sensitive melee attack. Enemies seem to recover from being floored quite quickly, so I'm not sure how viable it is to trigger a knockdown with a gun and then follow up with the knife to save ammo.

> Merchant
I don't know if I'd agree that money/treasure plays less of a role (if you don't sell treasure, you won't be upgrading your weapons), but I think allowing you to buy ammo is a weird choice. I think it's capped, so you can't buy loads, but it's still weird.

> Mercenaries
Mercs is extremely fast paced depending out what sort of loadout you go for, but I have to say, I like it. It's extremely run-and-gun and the enemy spawns are a bit inconvenient (it seems you have to enter certain areas to trigger spawns, but some enemies only spawn after others are killed, so if you don't route properly you won't get a full combo). You don't get a whole lot of choice in terms of weapon variety, as there are only 6 guns that I can see available in the shop (maybe you need to buy the others in the story first? not sure). I feel like the vets won't like it as it doesn't have the nuance of RE4 Mercs, but I like it for what it is. Already got a couple of SSS Ranks, I might go for the whole set. I'd be interested to hear what anyone else thinks of it.

> RE4 Upgrades
That's interesting, I didn't realise that. Village operates in the same way as far as upgrading ammo capacity gives you a free mag, but it doesn't look like you can continue to do it once you've maxed the upgrades out.

35Resident Evil Village  Empty Re: Resident Evil Village Tue May 11, 2021 12:15 pm

hedfone

hedfone
A-Rank
Veteran

>Or is it really just "shoot, kill, block"?

On hardcore it is shotgun blast, finish with pistol shots, block when close. That is it.
There is just not other worth while strategy you just move too slow, and they have too much health.
Lycans pop up from downed almost instantly with a goofy fast animation, so knifing on the ground RE4 style isn't really viable.
Lycans also love to do the dark souls " random speed up movement" trick, to close distance.
The consistency is pretty bad in that regard, and I will give TEW 2 that advantage.
I always knew what the zombies would probably do there.

Finished the castle about 40-50% done I believe and have 110 pistol bullets and about 30 shotgun shots. After the castle hardcore isn't tough at all.

STARS Redfield on youtube has started his knife only runs and I am excited to see how far he can take it.
Apparently there is a recipe that gives you 0 block damage later on..

That said I love exploring in this game so much, story is goofy and dumb in a good way, Chris is swole again, and the action keeps me engaged enough.
Also RE7 is better IMO on most fronts, so play that first for sure if you haven't.

36Resident Evil Village  Empty Re: Resident Evil Village Tue May 11, 2021 3:50 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

Beat it. Play time was 7 hours 45 minutes. Not sure why anyone was saying it was 15 hours.

Anyway, game fell apart at the end. The last 10-15% of the game is just not a good section at all. The final boss was alright, definitely better than what we got in 7, but I wanted another stretch to use all of my weapons(I upgraded the handgun at the end of the factory and didn’t get to use it). The story ended up being...something(how exactly do spoilers work around here? Haha).

Overall, yeah I’d say it was pretty good, but I wouldn’t go much further than that right now. The game really doesn’t have enough combat and encounters to me, but at the same time, I’m dreading parts of playing it again(the doll house and lake were super whatever). The pacing is weird, but exploring is very fun. Favorite part of the game by far was the castle(just like how it was the best part of RE4 Very Happy ). Least favorite part was that section before the final boss. Just terrible.

The combat definitely feels somewhat...unfinished. It has the skeleton of the RE4-like, but doesn’t really go anywhere with it. There’s no melee, minimal hit reactions, the knife doesn’t really DO anything, regular enemies are tanky while also lacking legitimate tank enemies, environmental stuff is fairly rare, all the guns feel flaccid. There’s other weird things too, like finding 15 sniper rounds in the middle of a boss room randomly. It just comes across as not being thought through very well. Didn’t really care for the crafting, just felt like a lot of busywork and wasn’t as seamless as something like just placing ammo carefully. Not a bad system I would say, but wasn’t necessary.

>guns
I got the second shotgun because it said it had a wide spread, but it doesn’t really seem like. The spread is trash compared to what we saw in RE4. It’s just another case of me not really seeing a functional difference between the weapons.

>hardcore
It seems balanced around NG, though the first big Lycan fight is annoying.

>Tetris case
I’m curious as to who made this complaint, because I thought the same thing the entire game haha. Not once did I ever run out of space, and I didn’t even have the biggest case. The biggest reason is that grenades, mines, and healing items(!) don’t take up different slots, they all stack, which is such a bizarre decision. Your gun attachments also don’t take up more space which is just like...why...

>shoot weapons
You can, but it’s no where near as dynamic. They don’t throw their weapons anymore, and the only weapon they ever have from what I can tell is a sword. There’s no dynamite or shields. Also no plaga equivalent, which is one of my favorite fucking things about 4, but they couldn’t be bothered to make an answer for it.

>enemies recover from knockdown quickly
Absolutely. Also taking into account how shitty the knife is in general, it’s not worth doing on lycans at all.

>story is goofy
I spent the first 3 hours of the game laughing at everything. Complete and utter stupidity. This feels less like RE than any other game in the main series.

>Chris is swole
That shot of him holding his gun at the end I was like damn, he’s still juicing! Too bad he’s voiced by Carlos’ VA. Not my Chris.

37Resident Evil Village  Empty Re: Resident Evil Village Tue May 11, 2021 6:26 pm

5does

C-Rank
Veteran

>Overall, yeah I’d say it was pretty good, but I wouldn’t go much further than that right now.
Re8 feels like a jack of all trades sort of game, it's not particularly bad but it seems to be trying all sort of stuff at the same time and it just doesn't stick the landing overall for me. 7 was at least a solid twitch horror game while 8 flip flops between being a Amnesia ripoff and then trying to be a full blown action game like RE4, with 7 I knew I wouldn't touch it once again after one playthrough but 8 seems to somewhat push you for it but then it has sections like the dollhouse which is a pain to do more than once. It would've been better if they sticked to one or another because as it stands it doesn't seem to do anything particularly well when compared to previous titles.

I wonder how people will see this title in 10-20 years from now on, for me it was forgettable as any other recent RE title aside from RE2make but who knows, the new generation of gaming are already calling it a upgraded RE4.

>The story ended up being...something
Breaking Bad dude saying "boulder punching motherfucker" is probably the worst line in all RE history.

38Resident Evil Village  Empty Re: Resident Evil Village Tue May 11, 2021 6:44 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

>jack of all trades game
Completely agree with everything you said. The game is like “look at all these NG+ weapons and upgrades!” while having significantly less going on mechanically than 4. It has a spooky house section with no real gameplay, trying to imitate what people liked about 7. The entire lake section felt like a really uninteresting set piece like something from 6, but there were no enemies. And while the castle is the most like RE at its core, it’s still fairly straightforward and lacking in a lot of surprises.

As much as I complained about 2 remake, I think it at least handled some core things better, like resource and inventory management. The delimb system wasn’t very intricate but thinking back, it worked better than this game’s dumbed down hit reactions in some ways. 8 messed up the inventory system AND lets you buy ammo, but it also still wants you to think it’s a horror game because fetuses are scary. The more I think about the game, the more I’m all over the place about it.

I hate to be negative, because the industry so rarely gives us games like this now, but I’m not going to excuse all of the game’s faults, when 4 did everything nearly perfectly 16 years ago.

>new generation calling it an upgraded RE4
Guarantee none of these clowns could give a reason besides move and shoot, and graphics.

39Resident Evil Village  Empty hot dance Tue May 11, 2021 6:48 pm

5does wrote:Breaking Bad dude saying "boulder punching motherfucker" is probably the worst line in all RE history.

The boulder punching reminds me vividly of the finale of 5. You know, the volcano scenario.
And the subsequent Wesker line: "Mankind requires judgment!".
Good times, man.

40Resident Evil Village  Empty Re: Resident Evil Village Tue May 11, 2021 8:35 pm

5does

C-Rank
Veteran

>while having significantly less going on mechanically than 4.
I wouldn't mind it being just worse than a 16 year old game, but it also handles stuff worse than a game from 7 years ago(EW) and like you pointed out it does stuff worse than RE2make which is like 2? years ago and from the same company.

>And while the castle is the most like RE at its core, it’s still fairly straightforward and lacking in a lot of surprises.
Perhaps they should have saved the castle for later which would have given them the incentive to make it more interesting and hard rather than leaving it to basically be a tutorial level.

>RE2make issues
I remember SBK expanding on these too, also the fact that even with all these issues it still shits on most modern action vidya which is a shame.

>The more I think about the game, the more I’m all over the place about it.
Interested on seeing how your opinion shapes up over time, so far I've only played the game through a friend's copy casually and there were control sharing between a group of friends so I can't even talk much about the in-depths of gameplay because I'd be tipping in as a know-nothing, that being said there's a lot of stuff that's pretty evident even when you're just doing a shallow and pretty lax playthrough.

>I hate to be negative, because the industry so rarely gives us games like this now, but I’m not going to excuse all of the game’s faults, when 4 did everything nearly perfectly 16 years ago.
It should be fine to do so on smaller forums like this, it's productive and people won't really boycott the game unless they weren't already lacking in interest to begin with.

Trying to discuss this game flaws on reddit/release-time gamefaqs seems like pissing on fire anyways.

>Guarantee none of these clowns could give a reason besides move and shoot, and graphics.
I doubt they even understand why they made such an association aside from someone telling them that both games are similar(and have villages).

>re4 comparisons
Did you try the merc mode yet? Is it even in the base game?

Zenyn:

>The boulder punching reminds me vividly of the finale of 5. You know, the volcano scenario.
And the subsequent Wesker line: "Mankind requires judgment!".
Good times, man.
I mean it does, that's what they were going for. My issue is that it feels kind of hamfisted(as Chris presence does too in both 7 and 8 ), how did Heisenberg know it? Why is it the first thing that it comes to Heisenberg mind to adress him? Why is it supposed to be an insult? It feels out of place and it just feels like having an Capcom suit wink at me while saying: we know memes too mboi. It's a minor nitpick but having your writers mess up something as simple as a reference delivery is a good indicator of how the whole thing turned out(and boy is it not pretty).

41Resident Evil Village  Empty Re: Resident Evil Village Tue May 11, 2021 9:13 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>they all stack, which is such a bizarre decision.
Casuals wouldn't have been able to handle it otherwise

>the new generation of gaming are already calling it a upgraded RE4.
We're doomed.

42Resident Evil Village  Empty Re: Resident Evil Village Tue May 11, 2021 9:59 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> bolderpunching mofo
You've *got* to be kidding me. What's the equivalent of a parent suddenly saying "me gusta" today. That joke is nearly a decade old at this point.

One thing I always loved about Resident Evil was how absolutely bonkers hilariously bad it's plot was yet all the characters were super serious about it in a sense. Leon straight up sees a giant parasite demon eat a midget and a xenomorph and the plot still is expected to be taken seriously. I love that.

This does not fit into that.

Also how the hell did Heisenberg know? Lonely nights with Sheva who's still pining for Chris?

> doesn't dedicate
This is something you see more hobby-wide sadly, and I don't really know why. Just do what you're good at..don't try to be every game at once. I can easily see the more static scenes being an absolute slog on repeat runs.

> RE2make
A great game, a bad RE game imo. It had some great ideas and for a 2019(?) title is really, really, really was surprisingly well done. Have a lot of gripes about it but it still blows most games of today away.

43Resident Evil Village  Empty Re: Resident Evil Village Wed May 12, 2021 3:11 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

I’m most of the way through hardcore and it’s really not very difficult, more just annoying. Lycans don’t react to handgun shots at all and knockdown from the shotgun is laughable. It’s just like the weird looking sped up animations from RE3 remake. Boss fights take longer than they need to, which really makes me dread VoS already.

Not sure how to feel about the soldats, they come across as this game’s version of the Garrador but don’t really have as many unique gimmicks. The fact they block the weak point on their chest is kind of cool, but they’re overall pretty stupid, you can just walk up to them and blast them with the shotgun, expose the weak point, and hit them with something stronger. That room where you have to shoot the spots on the big spinning blade was neat though.

Completed the castle in about 50 minutes and there’s really not much there in terms of combat, really. There’s the fight in the basement, a few guys in the courtyard, and the flying guys who suck. There’s a couple random enemies before the library too, and that’s it. The “stalker” enemy has also become really stale, Lady D is probably the worst one yet.

Find it amusing how many scenarios this game tries to recreate(first big timed village fight, boarding up a cabin, going to a castle, etc) yet makes no effort to recreate anything from the island, when it had some amazing sections.

>does things worse than EW and RE2 remake
TBH thinking about the jack of all trades comment, I can’t think of anything this game really excels at, aside from maybe exploration at certain sections.

>should have left the castle for later
It definitely set up a somewhat unrealistic expectation for the rest of the game. The next two houses barely feel like RE.

>REmake2 shits on most modern action games
Even REmake3, for how awful it was as a remake, had me replaying it several times. Most games this gen I struggle to get through once.

>only played casually
It was enough to tell how weak the shooting feels compared to past games, at least.

>don’t understand why they made an association
Because marketing told them to and they have briefcases(another element 8 does poorly compared to 4).

>mercs
I played it for about 5 minutes before I went to bed. It’s certainly not the mercs of the past, there’s only one character and as you play there’s randomized skills you can acquire. Obviously haven’t formed an opinion on it yet. Yeah it unlocks after you beat the game.

>how the hell did Heisenberg know
Don’t ask questions, just go along with the memes.

44Resident Evil Village  Empty Re: Resident Evil Village Wed May 12, 2021 9:11 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

It has begun!

45Resident Evil Village  Empty Re: Resident Evil Village Thu May 13, 2021 1:36 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

Correction: first aids do take up separate slots. It’s the crafting items that don’t take up any space.

Finished hardcore in a little under 5 hours. Ended up running past a lot of the lycan fights because it almost never seemed worth it to fight them. The entire combat loop gets dragged down on HC and it’s just not enjoyable. Running past enemies was a decision in the old games due to the routing and inventory management, but I ended up doing it here just because I didn’t want to engage them.

It’ll probably come with playing more, but there ended up being boss attacks that I couldn’t decide between blocking and trying to stop with offense. The big guy with the hammer in the den I could stop sometimes during his start up and not other times, so I’m not really sure what the rules are. Still can’t get used to some things because of the first person perspective.

The factory is a really solid area. Not as good as going through the village but it’s a strong section before the last shitty section. I believe there’s a challenge for only using knives, and I’m curious as to whether or not the soldats can be killed with the knife(I have a feeling the answer is no).

On to playthrough #3. I’ll probably do NG+ HC and really toy around with things.

46Resident Evil Village  Empty Re: Resident Evil Village Sat May 15, 2021 12:28 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

What...

47Resident Evil Village  Empty Re: Resident Evil Village Sat May 15, 2021 6:23 pm

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

>If I see “it’s basically RE4 in first person” one more time...

Please don't go to a certain Spanish meme website.

48Resident Evil Village  Empty Re: Resident Evil Village Sun May 16, 2021 9:59 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

That is extremely shitty of those monster designs. I can feel for the director of that film, especially since he's Dutch too haha. Sucks to see your designs stolen like that by a big company. Also quite disgusted that everyone in the comments are saying "he should be proud" instead of "the guy got robbed"..

49Resident Evil Village  Empty Re: Resident Evil Village Sun May 16, 2021 11:54 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

It's pretty bad.

They're not inspired. They're pretty much direct copies especially the propeller one. How are they getting away with this?

50Resident Evil Village  Empty Re: Resident Evil Village Sun May 16, 2021 10:56 pm

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

Royta/Raeng wrote:That is extremely shitty of those monster designs. I can feel for the director of that film, especially since he's Dutch too haha. Sucks to see your designs stolen like that by a big company. Also quite disgusted that everyone in the comments are saying "he should be proud" instead of "the guy got robbed"..

On account of me not wanting to assume the worst in their intentions, I'm going to try and give them the benefit of the doubt by saying that obvious references to other horror media aren't anything new in this game, and that maybe the devs assumed that there would be enough audience overlap that most people would quickly catch on, and just see it as a reference.

Resident Evil Village  IIonMPm

Resident Evil Village  91GavjR

But of course, if this thread, and many others online are of any indication, most people had no idea of Frankenstein's Army's existence until now. So the other possibility is that they just hoped that no one would catch on, since the movie is so obscure.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum