Infinity_Divide
RedShot
Gregorinho
Birdman
Royta/Raeng
22 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

151Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:57 pm

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
A-Rank

Not sure if Mercs has leaked or if some time zones just already have access to it:

Spoiler:

152Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:55 am

nepu47

nepu47
C-Rank

I read the documents for the first time when I`m finding THE wrench
And come on, What is this if it is not a wrench??
Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Ca9ffa10

https://www.backloggd.com/u/nepu47/

153Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:16 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Was one of the original users
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Still finding some things hard to swallow on Pro, like a BAR headshot not being a decap insta-kill. Surprised how, aside from all these changes, once you get past del-lago the game basically gets easy and managable. Your damage values keep up with the pace of the enemies, and if you save spinels you can get your exclusive immediately once you hit the castle.

Do think that after this run I'm done with the game though. Anyone else still playing?

https://stinger.actieforum.com

154Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:05 pm

nepu47

nepu47
C-Rank

I progress it very slowly on hardcore(beat ch13 yesterday), and I`ll try professional difficulty but My expectation is not so high. But I always enjoyed mercinaries mode, so I would expect that more.

155Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:45 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak
Expert on The Evil Within

>anyone still playing
I sort of am. Finished my second Hardcore run. Getting to the island and having to shoot an enemy up to 9(!) times in the leg for a stagger blew me away. They truly did handguns dirty in this game.

Started professional and I’m not enjoying it so far either. Going so hard in the RE2R direction of making the stronger weapons such a crutch was a mistake.

Don’t know how long I’ll stick around for replays. The consistency and arcadey feeling of the original being gone hurts the desire to keep playing.

Oh, I saw a comment(and responses) saying they’re glad hitstun is inconsistent because that’s “flowchart gameplay”. How do you even respond to something so braindead? Wanting consistency in mechanics and systems is “flowchart gameplay” now. I guess every developer had it wrong until RE2R came around and made stun random!

156Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:16 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I went to Spainkiller's house yesterday with some other gamers to hang out, and RE4make was a pretty big topic since we all have different stances on it. One thing that we sort of settled on was that, random isn't bad, but this is too far.

My stance was that I don't mind randomization to an extent, i.e. Ninja Gaiden. You are in control, but not wholly so. You cannot control a red or blue essence drop, only slightly direct towards it. And enemies will randomly block or dodge (to an extent).

The difference for me with RE4make is these few points:
- resources are far, far, far too randomized. You can loot an entire room and in one run you'll get 500 ptas combined, while in another run (same save, just a plain reload) you'll get a ruby, 3000 ptas, 5 sniper ammo and 6 shotgun shells.
- the stagger values and superarmor on enemies is ludicurous and hidden weaknesses are now gone. You can no longer shoot Salvador's eye for a quick stun (skill reward), instead it's just a plain value. Paired with the general enemy layouts, on Pro you're only using heavy weapons with the pistol being a plain distance 'whittle them down' gun.
- plagas are also randomized, again.
- enemies can dodge your lasersight

Now if you look to the original, there was randomization. Enemies could dodge your laser or block it, stopping the headshot. And a knee-shot was never fully guaranteed iirc. And there were plagas (random, to an extent). These were little elements that kept rooms fresh, but gave you a sense of control of the combat.

In RE4make you're basically holding on to your shotgun and running as fast as you can. It's a 'classic RE' game stuck in the modern RE4 world which just doesn't jibe perfectly. And that's because imo they added TOO much randomization, making you lack control. In fact the only true control you have, is the parry. Which ... ugh hahaha.

Once you sort of make peace with the more randomized nature and 'adapt' it's a really solid game, but it's a shame that no-one will ever play the original going forward since it's effectively been 'replaced'. Moreso now that RE4 will probably never be ported again.

157Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:15 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

Solid points. I agree that some degree of RNG is fine, having plaga spawns and loot be a little different each time is a good thing. Hell, the original RE4 has crits which are random, and no one thought that was a problem. But the fact that enemies can stun on a variance of 5+ shots, or you being completely fucked out of ammo, is just shit and doesn’t reward skill of mechanical knowledge.

Speaking of plaga, does anyone think they overdid their spawn rate? I swear in chapters 4-6 almost every enemy has one and it’s insane. Not to mention there’s not really a buffer between them spawning and when they attack…

158Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:13 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Yeah I was surprised by that as well. I do like the TypeB plaga more now though, with its armor ability and jumping attack, makes it a bit more different from the TypeA. TypeC also got a good boost (necromorph).

Lastly, one thing that stands out to me is the QTEs. I never...really can tell if I do them correctly. It feels like you can't do them during certain animations or w/e, but sometimes you can? So I just mash the button like mad. Anyone else have that issue?

159Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:08 pm

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
A-Rank

>flowchart gameplay
I can kinda understand this complaint since the OG is very controllable, and if you want you can get very similar results every time, but there is still some randomization as you pointed out and (most importantly) since the mechanics are this solid and consistent you can create your own "randomization" with different equipment, playstyle or challenge runs, which is a big reason why the OG is still so good. But because "experimentation" is a bad word to these morons they'll praise the remake because it adds randomization by default. It happened with MonHun too.

>no-one will ever play the original going forward
Really hope this won't be the case, since the two games are different enough, but zoomies will zoom.

>RE4 will probably never be ported again
At least it's on PC, meaning we don't have to fiddle with shitty emulation like for the MGS games.

>RNG stagger
The Masterrace wins once again.
https://www.nexusmods.com/residentevil42023/mods/375

160Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:09 pm

Lenz

Lenz
D-Rank
Survivor

> the stagger values

https://twitter.com/TafferKing451/status/1647354655389921280/photo/1

I really appreciate databases, but honestly this is just laughable. No offenses to Filipe Ramos though, it's just that... the strategical aspect of RE4 is gone in the remake.

161Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:36 pm

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
A-Rank

>crits aren't instakills anymore
Fuck me.

I've also seen that on Mercs enemies seem to stagger more consistently, which is interesting considering the campaign.

162Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:24 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor

>Oh, I saw a comment(and responses) saying they’re glad hitstun is inconsistent because that’s “flowchart gameplay”. How do you even respond to something so braindead? Wanting consistency in mechanics and systems is “flowchart gameplay” now. I guess every developer had it wrong until RE2R came around and made stun random!

The usual hatred of mechanics. These types love random elements because they hides how much they suck.

163Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:38 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> crit instakill
Also surprised that Incendiaries were gone, as they were the only way to circumvent Plaga pops in the original.

> flowchart
I kinda get it too, because once you 'got gud' at RE4 it became pretty samey with headshot > melee > knife loops, though you could push this further with better gun play and challenges as noted. Sure a fresh+pro+handgun only is doable in this game, but would you want to do it.. that's my main question. In RE4 you could plan, strategize and in general do every fight. In this one it's 1) pray to rngesus that you get good ammo drops 2) run past half the enemies since you can't stagger them consistently.

> mercs stagger
Mercs is set to Standard, which is why staggering works.

> the datasheet
Yeah saw that too, and while a great share of info, this does nothing. This isn't a game like Nioh where I can see the enemy's stamina bar and how close I am to cracking it.

> Filipe Ramos
Who?

> re4 in the future
I had this discussion before, and my main argument is this: when's the last time you saw RE2 get ported? It's not happening. Nor RE3. I really fear that RE4 got its last re-release and now we'll get this one 're-released' per generation instead.

Further proof that reboots/remakes need to include the original for free.

164Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:55 pm

Lenz

Lenz
D-Rank
Survivor

>  this does nothing.

In-game yeah you can't do shit but still, it's funny to me that Capcom aimed to remake Resident Evil 4 and they ended remaking...

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/calculator-switch/

> Who?

Filipe Ramos, a brazillian (hey, that's me) guy who makes informative/helpful videos about Resident Evil, Souls games, TES and some other stuff

He also made one of the most watched videos about Pathologic 2 in YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfTx9k9vqd4

165Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:54 am

nepu47

nepu47
C-Rank

Beat hardcord difficulty in the first playthrough.

tself or the one as a resident evil title is very good. But arenas sometimes feel indistinguishable imo, like later parts of doom eternal. They are just "big fights". I wanted tweaks like a "4 freezed regenerators" room(ch13), which your or enemies attacks can make more enemies. Bosses are mixed, Lamon get highly improved, Krauser fight feels somewhat odd there is no escape sequence.

166Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:12 am

SultanHayabusa

D-Rank

Mikami loved it. Rem4ke haters gonna be self harming for days after reading this 🤣🤣🤣

Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Screen16

167Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:06 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> bait
Didn't get enough likes on your twitter huh?

> Filipe Ramos
Interesting, hadn't heard of him yet! Going to check out some of his content later today.

> calculatormode
I think once you get more details on enemy-stats (i.e. a regular ganados has stagger value of 10) then it might change play a bit, but that's far from organic. Takes me back to the MASSIVE randomized HP values in RE2make which felt very out of place in a series like that.

For example, in RE2make the zombie health was any of these numbers:
200, 500, 530, 560, 590, 620, 650, 680, 770, 830, 860, 880, 890, 980, 1010, 1100, 1130, 1160, 1190

At worst, on zombie would have around 6 times(!!) as much HP as the one next to him. Headscratching stuff.

I think stagger-values aren't a bad thing, but if they're supposed to lead to specific followups or strategies, it shouldn't be this random or obtuse. They could've added specific weakpoints (like they did with Salvador in the original) to get a guaranteed stagger. Though, now that you can craft flashbangs, you technically can OHKO a mob if you have the knife-durability.

> Nepu
Yeah later on you get less small fights, though the original also suffered from this. I think this is bigger here since a lot of the later fights are 'fused'. Like the last three fights in the castle are just one big encounter now. So it does feel more like you're going from arena to arena. Small little fights like the two mace-guys before removing the plaga are gone too, pacing in general is wack, especially with all the weirdly cut areas.

Regarding bosses, agree Ramon took a big jump up in quality. Also think the hidden weakness is cheeky, love that shit. Krauser I'm mixed on still, not a massive fan of some of the gimmick sections he has now. Feel it's more interesting on a first encounter than upon replays. Also surprised they legit kill him off, in RE4 he survives iirc and you fight him as Ada later-on. But here he's super, super dead at the end.

168Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:18 pm

SultanHayabusa

D-Rank

Royta/Raeng wrote:> bait
Didn't get enough likes on your twitter huh?

> Filipe Ramos
Interesting, hadn't heard of him yet! Going to check out some of his content later today.

> calculatormode
I think once you get more details on enemy-stats (i.e. a regular ganados has stagger value of 10) then it might change play a bit, but that's far from organic. Takes me back to the MASSIVE randomized HP values in RE2make which felt very out of place in a series like that.

For example, in RE2make the zombie health was any of these numbers:
200, 500, 530, 560, 590, 620, 650, 680, 770, 830, 860, 880, 890, 980, 1010, 1100, 1130, 1160, 1190

At worst, on zombie would have around 6 times(!!) as much HP as the one next to him. Headscratching stuff.

I think stagger-values aren't a bad thing, but if they're supposed to lead to specific followups or strategies, it shouldn't be this random or obtuse. They could've added specific weakpoints (like they did with Salvador in the original) to get a guaranteed stagger. Though, now that you can craft flashbangs, you technically can OHKO a mob if you have the knife-durability.

> Nepu
Yeah later on you get less small fights, though the original also suffered from this. I think this is bigger here since a lot of the later fights are 'fused'. Like the last three fights in the castle are just one big encounter now. So it does feel more like you're going from arena to arena. Small little fights like the two mace-guys before removing the plaga are gone too, pacing in general is wack, especially with all the weirdly cut areas.

Regarding bosses, agree Ramon took a big jump up in quality. Also think the hidden weakness is cheeky, love that shit. Krauser I'm mixed on still, not a massive fan of some of the gimmick sections he has now. Feel it's more interesting on a first encounter than upon replays. Also surprised they legit kill him off, in RE4 he survives iirc and you fight him as Ada later-on. But here he's super, super dead at the end.

Bait>

Yes...and it's working 😁

169Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:07 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> bait
Nobody replied to you in-depth, so... not really. Get better material. This is amateur hour stuff.

170Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:29 pm

SultanHayabusa

D-Rank

Nobody replied to you in-depth, so... not really. Get better material. This is amateur hour stuff.
I'll get better material when you can give credit/praise Rem4ke without screaming "b-b-b-but" straight after it. 

"Yeah, I like this b-b-but in OG" (challenge impossible)

171Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:26 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

RayyanHayabusa wrote:
I'll get better material when you can give credit/praise Rem4ke without screaming "b-b-b-but" straight after it. 

"Yeah, I like this b-b-but in OG" (challenge impossible)

By that standard I also don't enjoy NGII. Or Vanquish. Or RE4. Or NGB. Or GoW1. Or FFX. Or Golden Sun.
You can like something and be critical of it.

172Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:49 pm

Lenz

Lenz
D-Rank
Survivor

> I think stagger-values aren't a bad thing, but if they're supposed to lead to specific followups or strategies, it shouldn't be this random or obtuse. They could've added specific weakpoints (like they did with Salvador in the original) to get a guaranteed stagger. Though, now that you can craft flashbangs, you technically can OHKO a mob if you have the knife-durability.

yeah i think i said it before idk but

stagger values being random isn't exactly bad but the fact that we can only guarantee staggers by high-DPS or binary mechanic (parry) is lame af imo

173Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:53 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> the endresult is lame af
Yeah fully agree. Played a little bit more yesterday and as noted, in general what sticks out to me is the distinct lack of ... input. I don't feel like I'm doing anything. My ammo is fully based on RNG (haven't found a resource(S) for nearly two chapters), enemies feel random in how quick they die/stagger, Ashley just does whatever the fuck. It's so wack how little control you have of individual little things. Maybe that's what they were going for, or they wanted to randomize the lot and make the parry the main focus (by making it the only reliable tool). That said I never parry since I just kill everything before it comes in range so can't really comment too much on that.

Curious: what do people here think about the crafting system?

174Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:24 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Really worried about the Lollipop Chainsaw remake now. Will they remove all the fun and 'offensive' dialogue? Probably.

175Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:54 pm

nepu47

nepu47
C-Rank

The crafting system > I usually don`t enjoy these things, but I am very positive on RE4`s system at this resource balance(which is more tighter than original, imo). The resources are not too complex, like the one in The Last Of Us, so It`s affordable. Plus, using a knive for crafting bolts is a quiet cool feature.

176Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:23 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

>lack of input
There definitely is a degree of randomness and “control” in this compared to a lot of action games. Enemies sometimes sprint at me like they’re on 4x speed. Ashley will randomly be 50ft behind me. Sometimes enemies stagger one shot and die in one kick, others take 5+ shots to stagger with another 5 shots.

>crafting system
Actually think it’s well done. Allows you to choose your ammo and the economy is tight. The randomness of drops hurts it a bit though.

It needs to be stated that removing the ammo refill for capacity upgrades is a sin. That was one of the main draws of doing such an upgrade. Although I guess now you do it more to free up space in your inventory which is kind of interesting too.

177Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:08 pm

KSubzero1000

KSubzero1000
C-Rank

Well, I bought it. How could I not?

The main issue I have appears to be the same most of you are having as well, namely the unresponsive nature and inconsistency of so many of the game's core systems and mechanics. I never feel fully in control of Leon's basic movement on account of the myriad of little animations that take priority over player input. I never feel fully in control of where I'm shooting on account of the detestable RNG reticle bloom (the optional laser sight negates that issue of course, but is incompatible with some of the coolest weapons in the game like the Red9, the TMP, or the Broken Butterfly, making it more of a nice afterthought with a big asterisk next to it than a central mechanic). I never feel like I have much of an influence on enemy AI given their erratic movement patterns and inconsistent staggers / hitstun properties. All of this stuff adds up to a frustrating mess that feels much more like TLoU than RE4. Both combat systems in RE4 and RE4R make you feel similarly stressed and overwhelmed at first, but the one in the original can be mastered with enough time and practice because of how solid and precise it is, not unlike any other action game classic. The one in the remake is just something you learn how to endure a little better over time. It doesn't surprise me in the slightest to hear that the combat becomes even more bullet-spongy and cheap on Pro difficulty. The GoW reboot has the exact same problem.

I would like to point out that almost all of these problems have plagued the modern RE games ever since RE7, which is why I mentioned that one in my original reaction post after playing the demo. The newer games have added abunch of new stuff of course, but RE7 grandfathered almost all of these underlying RNG issues, especially erratic enemy AI and lack of hitstun consistency. But everybody and their mum felt compelled to hype up RE7 to high heaven and Capcom learned the wrong lessons from it and now here we are.

The knife parry is a pretty unnecessary addition, but it is nowhere as intrusive or forced as some of us might have feared. The main issue I have with it is that it only works from a particular forward-facing angle and that due to the imprecise nature of the basic movement and positioning system, Leon isn't always facing the direction of the enemy attacks. It's a relatively harmless mechanic, though.

The Ashley partner AI is almost entirely out of the player's control. It's a complete and utter mechanical downgrade for the sake of heightened immersion and realism. With that said, she seems relatively good at keeping herself out of trouble. The partner AI in RE5 is a thousand times more frustrating.

But I do agree with something @Gregorinho said, namely that "when it's all in motion and you aren't being annoyed by something, it is quite fun". If you take the game for what it is and don't compare it too much to the original, it is indeed fun. One thing I haven't heard anybody mention and that I would like to add is that the combat is clearly at its best in MID-RANGE encounters. When the enemies are close enough so that you can reliably damage them while keeping them out of melee range, everything works more or less fine. Long-range combat is a mess due to the aforementioned reticle RNG and the fact that characters in the RE engine seem to suffer noticeable frame drops when positioned at a certain distance from the player character (which has also been an issue in all modern RE games since RE7). Close range combat is even worse due to how arbitrarily difficult it can be to hit enemies who are right next to you, and the apparently complete lack of the basic stunlock prevention system of the original very often leads to the most frustrating situations imaginable when surrounded.

The crafting system is cool, I like how it allows the player to focus on specialized ammo that they might not encounter normally. But as with the rest of the game, there's too much RNG involved. The only other issue I have is that it makes the game feel a bit too similar to RE2R and RE3R, as opposed to its own thing like RE4 is in comparison to the classic games. But I don't know if that's a fair criticism.

Some of the QoL changes are good, like not having to click an extra window whenever you pick up an item. Some are bad, like the multitude of controls and camera options in the menu instead of a carefully thought out and balanced default setting. This is not a properly optimized single-platform game and it unfortunately shows. I'm also playing in performance mode on PS4 Pro and I'm having to deal with a lot of extremely delayed texture pop-ins.

Music is a total downgrade (again, like most other modern AAA games including RE2R and RE3R) and so is the audio design. I am regularly being grabbed and attacked from behind by enemies I didn't hear coming, even with headphones. Huge flaw in my book. Some of the ambient sounds are pretty good, however.

The pacing, level and encounter design on the other hand are really good, almost as good as the original's. The new sidequests are a mixed bag (locking additional treasure behind optional subbosses is a neat idea, but hunting rats is a bit TES-y for my taste). I like the new layout of some of the areas, especially in the castle and the island and I don't feel too upset about the removal or complete redesign of certain sections. The game flows really well and isn't bogged down by nearly as much fluff as most other AAA games these days. Only one forced walking sequence is basically cause for celebration, after all.

The bosses are also really good, with the notable exception of Del Lago which is complete shite. The RE engine doesn't seem to understand what water is. I'm also not a huge fan of the new Salazar fight considering I really like the original (looks like I might be in the minority on this?). But the others are really good. I was very apprehensive about how they would handle the Krauser fight in the Sand Fortress since it's my favorite part of the original, but I honestly can't complain too much. I even like the first knife encounter a lot despite the lack of the iconic choreographed cutscene. The new Saddler fight is fine.

I love the new creative theme of the shooting range! Super fun. Unfortunately, I also DESPISE gacha mechanics. So... yeah.

The new narrative tone is a bit too serious for its own good. I don't mind serious stories at all (I watched The Fountain last week, fight me), but there's a time and a place for everything and a campy feel-good story about a heroic rescue mission punctuated by big explosions and slimy tentacles sprouting out of people's heads does not exactly require this type of sombre and self-important approach. But this has been an issue for me ever since Mikami's departure from Capcom and RE5 pretended to be a stone-faced geopolitical thriller. I really like the new Ashley though, and her characterization and relationship with Leon is pretty much the only aspect of the game I would consider a net improvement over the original. I'm also a fan of the new Luis who is a much more fleshed out character in this game. Leon's new VA is not bad, but I think the script is doing him a disservice by wanting him to deliver so many cheesy lines of the original in-between super serious Naughty Dog-esque moments. Mendez and Krauser are fine. Salazar and Saddler are not. And the Merchant is abysmal, forced camp is the absolute worst.

EDIT: To say nothing about Ada's total lack of personality. So much that I had completely forgotten about her when writing this post.

The ranking system is almost entirely based on playtime (again, like all other modern RE games), which is a bit disappointing. On my initial playthrough I took care of every request, collected every treasure, and didn't use a single FAS, and yet none of that influenced the final ranking. I think that not rewarding any other playstyle apart from speedrunning is a missed opportunity. And if speedrunning really is the main thing the devs want to promote, why are there no in-game speedrun leaderboards?

Mercs is also a mess. The thing I love about RE4 Mercs is how intuitive and straightforward it is. No gimmicks, no cheap or counter-intuitive strats, just plan your routing ahead and kill the enemies as efficiently as possible. Period. RE4R Mercs falls into the same trap as RE5 and RE6 Mercs by adding a bunch of superfluous mechanics which inevitably end up creating a very sterile and narrow meta. And that's on top of the aforementioned problems with the basic combat that are simply not conductive to a precision-based arcade score attack game to begin with. It's fun, but that's about it. I don't feel any motivation to play this one for hundreds of hours.

But overall, I can't in good conscience claim that this is some Vampire Rain-tier debacle. There is way too much hyperbole floating around in gaming discourse and this is NOT a bad game. But it's also not RE4 and it doesn't really understand or recapture the incredible mechanical precision and design integrity that makes RE4 so great. It's little more than "RE2R Las Plagas Edition" which is trying to recreate some of RE4's signature moments and game feel using its own randomization-heavy and animation-based formula. It's enjoyable, it's okay, it's even interesting in some aspects and I'll probably play through it a few more times in the foreseeable future, but it is not an evergreen arcade action classic in any way, shape, or form.

Honestly, my biggest criticism is not with the game itself but with the general state of the gaming industry and the deliberate move away from arcade design sensibilities in favor of Naughty Dog-style immersion and pseudo-realism in the AAA space. I also take issue with the widespread appreciation of RE as a series being almost entirely divorced from its mechanical identity. The mechanical identities of other series like Halo, Streets of Rage and Street Fighter are being respected and preserved even in their latest entries, meanwhile a game with such an impeccable core gameplay loop as RE4 has been completely tossed out and redesigned from the ground up into something categorically different. I think it's a shame. RE4 was designed without any preconceptions of what it should be. RE4R was designed to play catch-up with the rest of the industry. It's perfectly playable, but it's not GREAT.

PS @Roy:
This is the first time I'm hearing about Dr. Salvador's eye being his hidden weakpoint in the original game. My understanding is that his entire head hitbox loses its superarmor properties during all of his chainsaw attack animation frames (startup, active, and recovery) so that he can be thrown into a melee stagger state from any damage anywhere on the head during that period. That's the only special weakness I'm aware of. Am I missing something here?

I also have to push back against incendiaries being the ONLY plaga prevention method (again, in the original). Death from hand grenades and explosive barrels also cancels plagas, afaik. Plus of course Hunk's Neckbreaker and Krauser's special arm attack. I also think that both of Wesker's melee moves are plaga-canceling insta-kills, but I could be wrong.

Last edited by KSubzero1000 on Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

178Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:12 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

@Ksubzero1000
I do like quite a bit about this game but I agree with everything you posted. Beautifully said.

What you said about the shift away from arcade-style design as an industry hits hard. Games are so obssessed with realism and shit that doesn’t matter, on top of now we have to people thinking inconsistent mechanics are a good thing, that good fundamentals are becoming a rarity. Add in the parry-craze and other Simon Says nonsense, and it makes me feel like experimentation and creativity in games is about dead.

179Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:33 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> weapon bloom
One thing I find interesting when you think about it, the entire push of the new game's controls is that you can move+shoot and thus are more mobile. Yet to get good accuracy, and the 'focus bonus', you need to stand absolutely still and can't even aim'. Really makes you think.

> little animations
You can circumvent a lot of them thankfully, but the most annoying one is the movement while crouched. He has a tendency to walk a bit forward before stopping, which actually got me killed a few times (walked into tripwire) because he didn't stop when I asked him to.

> control
Watched my first speedrun and you can see a pretty big return of the shotgun. General strategy seems to be crafting flashbangs and legging it.

> RE7 was hyped up
I legit have never gotten through the introductory setting as it was just not what I was looking for in a RE game. I had my first rude awakening in RE2make, which while a good entry, showcased a lot of issues that were 'new'. The RNG being one, but also massive HP-pool differences and inconsistent tools (shotgun sometimes not even staggering).

> ashley
There's some improvements, like she actually has a few scenes where she helps Leon which is an improvement over her just legging it constantly. Mechanically she's a big downgrade in some areas. I think it was the wrong move to not give her her own lifebar, tying into the resourcemanagement makes her far more interesting imo. As you noted she is more 'wild' now and this leads to many issues, so maybe that's why they gave her infinite health this time around. Still, feel like it's a downgrade in general compared to her original handling. Personally I had hoped they'd do something more interesting with her, like a possession mechanic like we saw in SH4's Eileen.

> mid-range
As noted above general loop for me is using BAR/Handgun at long range to whittle down enemies, then when they get close it's shotgun time until distance is restored. They never get close enough for the parry to become an issue.

> crafting
It's double-edged for me personally, the advantage is that you can choose your own importance of tools i.e. Flashbangs if you just want to leg it. On the other, it's presence means the game itself doesn't know what you need, so if you have 0 shotgun shells, it doesn't acknowledge that since you might have 50 available to you through crafting, so the lootpool is mostly cash.

> music and sound
Sound took a hit, same with (reload) animations and cutscenes. Do personally prefer the new music, even though it's less memorable in some cases. The original OST just never jibed with me aside from the PN03 tracks and the Infiltrate song. Ganados#2 was neat for the cabin though.

> new areas
Generally they felt very well done, especially the condensation of certain castle elements (though others, not so much). What was your opinion on the Lake Area? For me those areas felt a bit like 'cut content' that was slapped in, a bunch of random caves etc. Not too great.

> gacha
No clue what they were thinking here.

> ranking
Even a detailed result-screen would've been nice, right now it just shows accuracy/deaths etc. Could've been more indepth (i.e. vanquish) so you can be more of your own judge.

> eyeball
Double checked, had him confused with the Chainsaw Majini from RE5 where it's the case. Guess that game's been on my mind lately.

> plaga
You know I don't dabble in Mercs, so you'll have to forgive those ommisions. You're right about the grenades, but they do pop plagas in this remake if memory serves. Just feel like it's a neat tool that they left out.

180Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:13 pm

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
A-Rank

Suplex also prevents plaga spawns in the OG.

181Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:46 pm

KSubzero1000

KSubzero1000
C-Rank

@Infinity_Divide

I want to make it clear that I like it too. It's really not a bad game. But it occupies a place somewhere in-between Dead Space 2 and the new GoW in my mind: It's fine, it's fun, it's good for a few playthroughs but then I'm going to forget about it for the next decade because it lacks that certain design purity that makes the original so great.

Another thing I want to point out is that the animation work in this game is absolutely phenomenal when evaluated on its own merit in a vacuum. The way that the various characters move and interact with one another is incredibly fluid and smooth. It LOOKS great. Unfortunately, this intense focus on animation polish having priority over responsiveness makes it so that it doesn't PLAY great. And that's what makes it so difficult to accept, because this isn't just a random game by developer so-and-so. It's not even a remake of a game with clunky mechanics like, say, GTA III. It's supposed to be a remake of one of the greatest and most precise, responsive and polished action games of all times.

I also think that the way Capcom is handling and presenting these remakes as the new "true" canon experience is really rubbing me the wrong way. Even if they don't want to take the SotC or Demon's Souls route of preserving their old games by simply painting all over them, there is a way to deal with reinterpretations that doesn't involve trying to replace the originals. I haven't played the FF VII remake, but my understanding is that Square is very much paying tribute and acknowledging the existence and importance of the original FF VII. When Marvel launched the Ultimate Universe, they didn't toss the original continuity and versions of their characters out the window, but they made enough room for both storylines to coexist. Meanwhile, Capcom just releases a cheap low-effort glitchy port of the original RE4 on modern platforms and calls it a day. It all feels so... condescending. Friendly reminder they tried to do the exact same thing with DmC and that it's an absolute miracle we ever got DMC5 in the classic style. I fully expect them to remake the first RE in this new style sooner rather than later and for the 2002 REmake to remain stranded on dead platforms from that point on.

And one more thing, even though I completely understand and respect the issues you have with the reactive / Simon Says elements of the Arkham games, to me they are also among the very last western developed AAA games to be unapologetically rooted in those very same arcade design sensibilities we're talking about instead of being subservient to the almighty Naughty Dog. I replayed the first two a few months ago and I had an absolute blast. The animations and/or the randomized elements NEVER take priority over player input and basic responsiveness in these games, despite their reliance on a dedicated defensive counter button. Which makes them much better action games than GoT or the new GoWs or anything Ninja Theory / Naughty Dog have ever developed in my book.

@Royta/Raeng

I've noticed the loot being mostly cash, too. You're right. One thing I will praise the game for is that the randomized enemy drops DO take into account the weapons in your inventory and never give you ammo for weapons you don't currently have. I very much like that. It's especially cool in Mercs since you can just discard both your handgun and shotgun with Leon and only receive grenades, knives and sniper ammo drops. That's really cool and probably the only part of the game that directly benefits from being less randomized than even the original. All in all, I have to say I'm a fan of the new loot and crafting system.

Very surprised to hear you prefer the new music, but of course to each his own. The previous two remakes already suffer from nerfed soundtracks in favor of ambient sound effects, so I thought that would be the least controversial point here!

The Lake area is fine, it was an optional side area in the original already so it makes sense to expand on it a bit. Generally speaking I'm satisfied with the new level design. Leon not being able to WALK properly or the lack of reload animation canceling from explosion i-frames is a thousand times more annoying to me than the Garrador cage area being cut or J.J. being replaced by some Ninja Turtles reject.

I'm currently finishing up my second no-damage NG+ playthrough before moving onto the higher difficulties. I'm not exactly very confident, but we'll see.

PS: I really like the new Garrador, though. Both design and gameplay wise. They retained what makes the original fight so special even with the new mechanics. I like it. Although the seemingly endless (?) monk spawns in the double Garradors room are a bit cheap.

182Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:55 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> higher settings
Pro is a significant step up in some cases, less in others. Curious how you'll experience it. The staggers are a lot harder, but enemies aren't remixed compared to Hardcore and you upgrades aren't gated, so once you reach the castle it's actually easier than an initial Hardcore run imo.

> garrador
Ditto. I think I noted it before, but the first fight is a big upgrade. Does anyone else feel that he always 'knows' where you are btw? Even when not making a sound he tends to walk in my direction. Could be placebo though.

> ammo generation
IIRC this was in the original as well right? Wasn't it a strat to unequip specific weapons with Wesker to not get specific weapon drops or something? I've been working for like 20 hours now so could be my fried brain.

> REmake structure
In a sense they bit themselves in the bum by starting with 2, and not 1. They didn't necessarily retcon much, but the tone is totally different as you know. Way more serieus. I'm extremely curious how the world will react to Chris punching zombies in Africa (if we ever get that again). This clashes with their 'winks and nods' as well. You've got this super serious setting, but Leon still does ... some one liners. Sometimes. It feels at odds with itself.

> will play it a few times and ditch it
Same feeling. RE4 I have entire memory cards dedicated to, but I'm already growing tired of this entry so won't be entirely surprised to see it disappear from my feed completely within a month either as the hivemind moves on to the next shiny bauble.

> animations
The biggest difference is the change of interpolation. Modern games want to finish an animation before the next starts, to make it look super fluid. Instead of canceling a Crouching Fierce Punch into a Dragon Punch, the animation has to fully finish and organically transition into the uppercut (bad example, since SF doesn't have this issue, but gives a good idea). It looks great, but it always plays stiff as you feel there's a delay, which there is. Leon is walking forwards, you want to go back - he can't, because he has to finish that step forward before he can go back.

Ironically despite being the 'modern trope studio', games like Uncharted don't have this at all. Nate is incredibly 'arcadey' in his motions compared to the more modern muck like Last of Us etc.

EDIT: my biggest complaint regarding this btw for RE4R is that if you use the knife, pulling your gun to shoot takes longer since Leon has to unholster his pistol again. Super frustrating. Realistic. But frustrating. Like painters, gamedesigners need to re-learn that realism is the most boring thing imaginable.

> painting over the games
Personally I'd love to see a side-release where they use the RE4R's assets to paint over classic RE4. I'd gladly pay for that, that'd be awesome. Won't ever happen though.

183Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:22 pm

KSubzero1000

KSubzero1000
C-Rank

Royta/Raeng wrote:Does anyone else feel that he always 'knows' where you are btw? Even when not making a sound he tends to walk in my direction. Could be placebo though.

He's supposed to be able to smell you, which is why he usually moves in your general direction when you're close. But that's already a mechanic in the original.

Royta/Raeng wrote:> ammo generation
IIRC this was in the original as well right? Wasn't it a strat to unequip specific weapons with Wesker to not get specific weapon drops or something?

No. Some of the rare ammo types like Magnum ammo or Mine Darts only appear if you carry the associated weapon with you, but most of the common ones will remain part of the basic randomized lootpool no matter what, like Handgun ammo or Shotgun shells. I've been doing a Handgun-only run and I keep grabbing shotgun and TMP ammo all the time. That's one of the very few aspects that is more randomized than in the remake.

It's especially frustrating in Mercs, as you can imagine. What you might be remembering is that the drop rates for the various ammo types are simply different in the GCN NTSC version than in the other ones, which makes the sniper ammo much more abundant in the NTSC version, for example. But unfortunately, tossing the handgun has zero direct effect on drop rates in any version of the original.

Royta/Raeng wrote:> animations
The biggest difference is the change of interpolation. Modern games want to finish an animation before the next starts, to make it look super fluid. Instead of canceling a Crouching Fierce Punch into a Dragon Punch, the animation has to fully finish and organically transition into the uppercut (bad example, since SF doesn't have this issue, but gives a good idea). It looks great, but it always plays stiff as you feel there's a delay, which there is. Leon is walking forwards, you want to go back - he can't, because he has to finish that step forward before he can go back.

EDIT: my biggest complaint regarding this btw for RE4R is that if you use the knife, pulling your gun to shoot takes longer since Leon has to unholster his pistol again. Super frustrating. Realistic. But frustrating. Like painters, gamedesigners need to re-learn that realism is the most boring thing imaginable.

Perfectly said. Agreed.

184Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:54 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

My god, professional is such a slog. I don’t even get to melee enemies because they die before the stagger initiates…which doesn’t seem that bad, but considering it’s taking 5+ headshots for one enemy, that’s a failure of design.

There is genuinely so much I like about this game. The multi-purpose knife, the little collisions, some of the re-worked areas are extremely clever, inventory management is tight, the consistently varied encounters never bore, etc.

But one thing I’ve always used to gauge whether or not a game is truly great, is if all of it holds up on the highest setting. And I feel all my favorite games are at the best on the highest difficulty- RE4OG, TEW, Vanquish, ZOE2, MGS, SOR4, DMC1-but here the game falls apart and I can’t help but feel the way to play is just not interesting or organic.

Maybe I’ll just stick with standard if I want to play this in the future. It might be easy, but at least I can experiment.

>Arkham
I get what you mean. Ironically I installed the collection the other day and I want to give them a fair shake again instead of just shitting on them like I always do.

>uncharted
Such a weird series. I should hate everything about this franchise but they’re some of the only AAA Western games from that era that I like.  Uncharted 4 in particular has some really excellent battles. And yes-no bullshit animations that get in the way of the controls, despite how good the animations themselves are.

185Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:41 am

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

>And I feel all my favorite games are at the best on the highest difficulty
Feel the same way about GoW (the first two, anyway) and KH2, myself.

I just thought of something. Are there any parallels between this and RE8? Saw some people (and memes) commenting on how RE8 was very reminiscent of RE4.

186Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:26 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> highest difficulty
Agreed, though with minor exceptions (i.e. Doom1&2 on Nightmare) and other more gimmick modes like REV in MGRR (prefer VH).

> shoot until dead
Yeah as noted a lot of the game's creativity and combatmechanics go out the window on Pro. While in some cases it's refreshing not to rely on the old standby, it really isn't something that's addictive to play to me as the combat is basically a typical third-person shooter with an occasional "X to Kick" at this point.

> RE8
Funnily enough, there was a video on my feed this morning about "why does the village fight in RE8 suck and not in RE4" and the conclusion was that in RE4 you could be in control, while in RE8 enemies would just tank all your hits at times making it more frustrating than tense. Cue RE4R... hahaha

I do think we're seeing more and more of these 'trends' of high difficulties where it's just stagger values and high HP instead of actually interesting situations or changes. Pro removing the ability to auto-save is a good addition imo, it makes you rethink. That's interesting. Been playing Ghostwire (finally) and its highest setting removing leveling is a neat idea. I'd like to see more of that, less of this.

187Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:39 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

The upcoming post is a bit dumb and elitist but it's something that's annoyed me to no end for the last few years. Yesterday I saw a video entitled "world first knife only RE4-remake". I was pretty interested in watching it since I feel those types of runs tend to bring out the best in players, and showcase interesting strategies that might flip the game on its head.

The video starts with a pretty interesting set of rules that validate it more in my eyes. No NG+ items. No accesories for bonus abilities etc and on a fresh Pro run.

In general the run starts with the player (a RE-speedrunner) avoiding most encounters. This to me is already a tad disappointing, the whole point of a Knife Only run is to learn and master enemy encounters and movements that you can (in a sense) melee them to death. Instead until basically The Cabin Fight, not an enemy is killed.

At this point, he's so inexperienced with actual knife combat, the cabin-fight results into a giant mess of him running around until the timer runs out, tanking hits as much as possible. In general tanking seems to be his go-to strat, as his fights are more determined by how much healing he has than how well he's playing.

This mixture of 'run past everything' and 'tank it with heals' peaks with the WaterRoom where he uses a giant combination of 'fuck it, just run' and savescums etc. to get past it. The only fight where he seems to legit bring his a-game is the Double Garrador fight and Salazar, where he's playing very well and learning patterns. On the flip-side he skipped the first Garrador entirely.

Then, lastly, we come to the part of my annoyance (the above aside). The crane-room. He notes that the room is impossible, gives a few arguments, said he tried it a few hours and calls it a day. This gave me massive ptsd to The Evil Within 2 where every "WORLD FIRST KNIFE RUN" was basically players using the shotgun half the run because "that part is impossible with the knife". Players simply not...even trying. It's so frustrating to me that being so focused on Twitch and quick entertainment, a lot of these challenge runs are a bunch of failed first attempts and barely making it to the finishline only to run into issues later-on. There's no run planning, nothing. No strategy either.

In The Evil Within 2 there were a few big snags in the run, one being Fire Walk, which is an escort mission where you fight enemies that are on fire in a small zone where you can move in (go outside and you take damage and die). The others were a double bossfight and the Laura boss. And the final boss, which can't be knifed (out of range, so run-exception). Every fucking knife-run skipped those parts. Meanwhile I dragged my sorry ass through those encounters, sometimes 10+ hours of attempts to finally get them done knife-only. I planned out all my healing-item usages so I'd have enough for the fire-walk etc, as well as pre-planned my entire upgrade-tree.

I feel that a lot of these runners are more in it for the whole 'quickly gotta say I got world first' while barely even doing the run, or getting the info out of the run that you actually do it for. The runner still doesn't fight a single enemy, doesn't parry, doesn't use specific knife setups or punishes, he just..legs it. And skips things the second it becomes a tad annoying or "hm, I don't think i can do this".

Guy legit seems like a nice guy, so it's nothing against him personally, but it's this trend of players sort of half-assing challenge runs that lately really is getting on my nerves.

Enfin, dumb rant over haha.

188Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:49 pm

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
A-Rank

People want the prestige of being the first at the cost of the quality of the run. I understand the sentiment but at least make sure to improve the run after you got your shiny "WORLD FIRST" video out of the way.

189Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:07 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Well said.

To add to that, I'm more annoyed by the 'World First' when you skipped significant portions of the run. There's also a TEW2 'world first knife only run' where as noted the shotgun is used many times.

This isn't something like 复活斩's NGII no damage run versus GFD's, it's just legit...not a full run. Just grinds my gears haha

190Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:22 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

These types are total losers.

They're like those trash speedrunners who find the most obscure games to run. Games they don't even like, just because if they do a run it'll be the only one. They don't even have to try because there's no standard to uphold.

>impossible
That's what they want you to think.

>Roy's fire walk suffering
I remember that and enjoyed it.

191Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:24 am

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

So apparently Carci hates this game...but he hates the original so I guess his opinion isn't that valid. But it is interesting that a guy who made his name on RE no damage runs, who likes RE2 remake, despises this game with a passion.

Anyway, Professional is done. Will never touch this mode ever again. I'll only play this on standard from now on. The bullshit stunlocking, thoughtless enemy behaviors, shitty hit reactions, high boss health, etc are all ass. Luckily standard avoids most of this garbage.

Maybe I'll just do no upgrades to make it harder instead of turning the game into an annoying mess like Professional does.

192Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:18 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Carci seems like a fun guy, he also hung out with Kamiya at some point as I recall? He did a RE2 speedrun with him present. Surprised to hear he (or anyone, in the world) not like the original.

> standard no upgrades
At which point I would honestly say: just play the original release. Sorry haha.

193Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:26 pm

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

Never heard of him, until SBK mentioned him in passing. I recall him saying some great things about him though (such as putting him on the same level as GMG, but instead for GoW-relaated knowledge, it's for RE).

194Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:01 am

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
A-Rank

CarcinogenicSDA? Also never heard of him.

>he hates the original
I imagine that if you are a superfan of the classics you would be sour about the changes RE4 brought.

195Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:52 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Not to mention, he's a speedrunner. I love a lot of my games, but if I had to replay them about 5 times a day I'd sour on them real fast too. Not sure but maybe RE4 is also a bit less fun to speedrun due to its random factors (enemy AI, attack patterns etc)?

196Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:43 am

Memes of Monsoon

Memes of Monsoon
D-Rank

Been playing this along with the original and wanted to share some thoughts

- original prioritizes positioning and crowd control above all else. It feels good to maneuver yourself around enemies in OG without getting grabbed.

- shotgun has become almost obsolete in the remake compared to OG on the harder difficulties.

- There seems to be some Evil within influence. The flash and knife kills, crafting, stealth, emphasis on using traps and bolt thrower remind me of EW. I think they should have put some kind of meter like Evil within to limit movement to make it more precise and fluid instead of current solution.

- Bolt thrower lacks kick to make it a satisfying weapon to use compared to guns which is a shame because the game pushes this weapon on you.

- I find Capcom game always seems to struggle with balance except Kamiya and Mikami games. PRO seems to be designed for NG+ but that lacks the resource and ammo management and new game on PRO is unfun.

- A mode with normal difficulty health and stagger with PRO mode enemy placement and AI would have been awesome.

- PRO mode also disables autosaves which is a shitty idea. Don't know how it's supposed to make game interesting in any way. Infact it can discourage from experiment beacuse dying means you have to repeat sections over and over.

- Some bosses are shit.

- EL gigante has massive hitboxes to compensate for the Leon's movement and is pain in the ass to fight compared to OG.

- Lake monster and mendez are whatever.

- Salazar sucks. He is a camera eating monstrosity who never shuts up, has hard to discern attacks from one another and is a total bullet sponge. I wish MGR's cutting mode was in this game so I could slice him into pieces.

- Krauser is fun until you figure out his parry timing then becomes a chore. He makes spacing very difficult and his dialogue reminds me of Dante and vergil fight.

- Campaign ranking system is trash. The genius who came up the idea should get their 1 month salary cut. Mercs mode is good as it ranks you on your combo count.

- Village and island are an improvement. Village especially is my favorite due to emphasis on traps and the autumn vibes. I prefer it over OGs brown filter.

- Island feels better paced this time around for some reason. Maybe its because Leon can move and shoot thus those intense island fights feel much more fun.

- Castle is a downgrade. The original maybe because of early 2000s aesthetics has this otherworldly and unsettling vibes similar to DMC1 which is missing from the photo realistic remake. Remake is dark, quiet and has fog in some indoor areas for some reason. The castle setpieces are also better in the OG.

- Don't have issues with the removal/change of lots of bits except the mine card ride. It's my favorite setpiece from the original that puts you on the spot and asks you to move and crowd control. Simplifying it into a rail shooter is a tragedy. it's not bad but doesn't capture the magic of original.

- Also miss melee attacks exploding heads particularly the suplex. In OG leon drops enemies on their head and does a kip up. The whole animation and sound when their heads sometimes explode is very satisfying. Dropping them on their neck and lazily getting up doesn't have the same effect.

- Charm system seems half baked. It's good that shooting gallery gives reward that affects gameplay but most of them are useless. After 5 or 6 playthroughs i have only got one useful charm which increases running speed by 8% which tbh is not even noticeable.

- Levels are confusing this time around. They are circular which makes navigating them annoying. I have to constantly open the map to see where to go. OGs level are fantastic as i hardly open the open. They flow organically.

- Puzzles suck as they do in the OG. I'm glad Mikami didn't include puzzles in EW1.

- Remake for better or worse is homogeneous. It lacks the OGs wild memorable setpieces.

- Rifles emerge as the best weapon especially Bolt action rifle with its exclusive upgrade. Default pistol with laser equipped and rocket launcher sharing the same spot.

- Don't know why they changed the dialogues and certain scenes because i don't think there is any anything offensive in the OG.

- Leon is lame in the remake. He is so chill in the OG whereas he comes across as a try hard here. His oneliners and some of the dialogues are cringe.

- I like the mission with luis. I find it better than OG. the dual EL gigante is also my favorite boss this time around.

- They have added jiggle physics on Ashley. Good of them to remind me they are a japanese company.

- PC port is solid. Lots of customization options and no stuttering or any other issues. I wish sensitivity was bit higher. sensitivity in OG is high which i like.

- Game overall is too damn fun. I have put over 100 hrs in this game which i wasn't expecting. It has become my favorite game after wonderful 101 pc port in recent years.

197Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:29 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

^Good post, want to comment on a few things:

>shotgun obsolete in remake
Disagree. It reliably stops enemies which is very useful given the increased aggression and speed of basically everything in the game. The other big thing too that I never see anyone talk about: the delimbs and dismemberment aspect of shotguns. Blowing off limbs and shooting enemies in half stop them from turning which is huge.

>village an improvement
Castle was always my favorite in OG and didn't like the village as much as everyone else but village in remake is by far my favorite. The traps and general pacing is really good.

>miss melee attacks exploding heads
The kick still does, it's just rare since head explosions don't occur as often in the remake in general.

>game is too fun
I was quick to shit on it but I also put over 100 hours in it and it ended up being my favorite game last year. Relentlessly comparing it to the original(which is my favorite game ever) is pointless and tiring but judging it on its own I had a great time with it.

198Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:07 pm

SultanHayabusa

D-Rank

>shotgun obsolete on higher difficulties

Disagree as well. Especially when fully upgraded, this bad boy decimates fools.

>PC port

Yes, this port slaps. Especially when running at 120fps, no stutter and buttery smooth. Top tier graphical fidelity and attention to detail, just zoom into the guns and you'll see some very meticulous detailing.

I'm also over 100 hours in and still having a blast with the game. Mercs is wild, I might try the seperate ways DLC, heard it's really good compared to OG SW.

PS: Fully upgrade the blacktail for a higher consistency on hit stun. It's stopping power is unmatched when compared to other handguns.

199Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:44 pm

Memes of Monsoon

Memes of Monsoon
D-Rank

>shotgun

It's different here compared to OG. In OG you can easily group enemies together that makes shotgun an enticing option whereas here it is difficult to group two enemies together let alone 4 or 5. This is the major difference along with movement between the two games. Unless i funnel them into a narrow space i don't find myself using shotgun much.

In OG shotgun serves a crucial function outside of confined spaces. I have the default pistol, riot gun and Bolt action rifle fully upgraded and i seldom find myself using shotgun. Enemies just overwhelm me if i try to use shotgun like OG. It's just safer to use pistol and rifle.

The Rifle when fully upgraded destroys enemies and makes shotgun almost useless in most instances. Normal enemies go down in one hit. Plagas in 1, Armoured knights in 2, The golden knight in 3, Brutes, chainsaw enemies in 2 or 3 shots max, even the bullet sponge side quest dog goes down in 4 shot. It destroys bosses too. IMO its the best weapon and essential for PRO considering how many bullet sponge enemies game throws at you.

>Top tier graphical fidelity

I recently upgraded my PC so I'm looking for this. However it's hard to find interesting games with high production values nowadays without open world rpg nonsense. This is one of the reasons i love this game.

>Mercs is wild

I really would have loved more if they had included more maps from the campaign. A village section bit with traps would be really fun. The ranking system while better than campaign also rewards finding a confined space and letting enemies come to you to keep the combo going. It would be nice if the ranking pushed movement more.

>Fully upgrade the blacktail for a higher consistency on hit stun

I have all the pistols fully upgraded and i find default pistol the best. Matilda outshines it but it requires lots of ammo so default is the best. On PRO every pistol requires 2 or 3 shots to stun. The default pistol because of laser sight and rate of fire outclasses every pistol. I can end the starting village fight in seconds with it equipped. It's just satisfying the to see heads explode when its critical chance kicks in. It also feels good to hear Ashley's remark when you head shot a faraway enemy with it.

200Resident Evil 4: The Remake - Page 4 Empty Re: Resident Evil 4: The Remake Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:11 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

One feeling I had was that the shotgun became the 'default' weapon for me in the remake, as opposed to the pistol. The pistol lost it's main appeal (stagger) so I switched to the shotgun as my main weapon as it at least had a solid chance to knockdown for setups.

> high production values
A very temporary thing with the emphasis being on beauty over killer art-design. While RE4make is very well designed, it also is a bit over designed and the gamey aspects stick out like a sore thumb. Meanwhile RE4 still looks killer on a CRT, where the shiny crates aren't that noticable.

> rifle
That thing nuked like a monster in the remake yeah, carried me heavily.

> sally
I will say I feel that he was an interesting boss, and one of the few things the remake truly changed and made interesting (while the rest of the bosses are just "the same but mechanically less fun").

> 100 hours
Reached the Island on Pro and just lost interest tbh.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum