Resident Evil 7

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Resident Evil 7  Empty Resident Evil 7 Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:19 am

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Veteran
Was one of the original users

Just watched the not a hero free dlc, didn't expect boulder punches but I dig it, not really survival horror anymore it's back to action fist punchers resident warfare edition. I hope it has more enemy types and maybe a boss.

Don't care for this new 'not Chris' guy but it's in first person so I'm not reminded of his 'not Chris' face. I only care for re4 Leon and wesker was a pretty fun villain for the time he was around in re5.

2Resident Evil 7  Empty Re: Resident Evil 7 Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:37 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Resident Evil has to be one of the least consistent game series when it comes down to its characters in terms of personality and looks. Leon was vastly different between 2, 4 and 6 and Chris was pretty much a completely different character going from CVX to 5. The only character that has been slightly consistent is Jill I believe.

Still the DLC looks good, but it's not Resident Evil for me. The whole series really feels like it's catering to the youtuber-crowd too much instead of making a worthwhile game. Just my 5 cents.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

3Resident Evil 7  Empty Re: Resident Evil 7 Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:49 am

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

The series has been to all its logical conclusions by now, from survival horror to shooty bang bangs(even rail shooters), so it's pretty much take your pick haha.

So what is RE for you Roy?

4Resident Evil 7  Empty Re: Resident Evil 7 Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:51 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor

I quite like RE7 though it feels more like an Evil Dead movie than any RE game. Didn't mind the first person perspective either, though I would rather something like RE4.

Definitely needed more enemy variety.

I don't own the game and have only rented and finished it once. Haven't played any of the DLC as I'm waiting for the complete edition.

5Resident Evil 7  Empty Re: Resident Evil 7 Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:49 pm

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

Re7 is more a condensed mansion tour than anything, it's very limited due to how linear it is past the baker estate sections, namely the mansion which had the most intricate level design, past that it gets very linear and focuses less on environmental exploration/backtracking and light puzzle solving with more focus on enemy encounters, turning into a simple fps affair.

It doesn't have any replay value for me past the mutant jack rematch, don't care for the ship section it was pretty dull and showed how limited the gameplay is, plus the final boss is just a qte which sucks given the other bosses where actual well done bosses.

I had an issue with the lack of enemy types, it works for the most part given how short it is, it's only really noticeable in the ship section onward as it recycles the 3 types over. Marguerite section has 2 unique bug enemy types which staves off the repetition. I don't think the enemies where too interesting, they where like bargain bin regenerators haha.
Madhouse is a nice addition as it remixes some enemy placements along with other alterations like birdcages to unlock in the mansion early on.

Also as a nitpick I didn't like the box knife as a weapon, it didn't have any punch compared to the axe which you only get to use in the demo and intro section, I like the detail that the axe gets stuck in walls when you swing it. In terms if animations I didn't find anything to be particularly impressive, nothing wowed me like re4-5-6 did with their impeccable animations, it makes sense as those games have a lot more going on and they are in third person so they can show off more animation with the reloads and melee moves. 7 is a more subdued game so it works, the monster animations where ok compared to say the regenerators animations.

Overall I liked it, was a nice change from crazy action of 4-5-6. I'm looking forward to Chris dlc, looks like some fun first person Chris punching action. They really need to add more enemy types and a boss or two. I've seen that Chris has a parry move, punch and stomp move, along with grenades and iron sights for his guns. It's a full on mercenaries now and I like the changes, Chris might as well be confirmed to be an actual bio weapon himself haha.

6Resident Evil 7  Empty Re: Resident Evil 7 Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:48 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Re7 is more a condensed mansion tour than anything, it's very limited due to how linear it is past the baker estate sections, namely the mansion which had the most intricate level design, past that it gets very linear and focuses less on environmental exploration/backtracking and light puzzle solving with more focus on enemy encounters, turning into a simple fps affair.

This is true, however, and this goes for lacking enemy variety too, I didn't really notice these things until I started a new game, or at least very late game. I was too scared of what was around the next corner and moved at a crawl. It was only later I was like 'Ok there are only 3 enemy types'. Was really hoping for some kind of dog or given the location, a crocodile or something.

I'm looking forward to Chris dlc, looks like some fun first person Chris punching action. They really need to add more enemy types and a boss or two. I've seen that Chris has a parry move, punch and stomp move, along with grenades and iron sights for his guns. It's a full on mercenaries now and I like the changes, Chris might as well be confirmed to be an actual bio weapon himself haha.

Not sure how popular it's going to be given how people howl at the action sequences towards the end of RE4/EW.

Chris might as well be confirmed to be an actual bio weapon himself haha.
Watch those CG movies. Both Chris and Leon exhibit abilities far beyond human to the point where it becomes comedy.

7Resident Evil 7  Empty Re: Resident Evil 7 Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:21 am

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

I've noticed 4 new enemy types, well 3 but there is a melee oriented tubby as opposed to the tubby pukers.

0:31: a group of small spider like molded.

0:44-53: a lanky, scarecrow type molded.

0:45: a melee tubby molded, they seem to blow up if damaged enough(seen charging at Chris with no arms or head).

1:08: a large red eyed molded with long centipede like arms, this one looks like a boss.0:

I'm really looking forward to the this, re7 combat is pretty generic and not very fun if you ask me, its strength is its exploration, puzzles and boss fights. This is more like the re4/5/6 combat I know and love.

8Resident Evil 7  Empty Re: Resident Evil 7 Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:24 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Wow I completely missed the continuation of this topic haha, apologies!

> what is RE for me
To me RE is a combination of things. It is hamfisted and cheesy dialogue but with interesting lore that is treated with great care, it has a fun cast of characters that I've grown to love like Billy, Chris, Leon, Claire, Wesker etc. In its gameplay, to me, it is a short game that is long. Playing it the first time is a long experience but once you know what to do it should be short and allow for tons of possible handicap runs and speedruns and should also reward you for doing so (like the infamous Mikami letter). It is also about managing ammo and choosing "should I kill this guy?" or just running past him forever. It is a game where every step you make is a choice.

> RE7
I never cared too much for it myself, the whole hillbilly thing never hit home with me. I watched the whole thing on YT though, fun experience but I'm glad I skipped it.

> would rather something like RE4
Honestly, I've giving up on this. RE4 was just this lucky stroke (kind of like Chaos Theory, NGB, Vanquish and DMC3), we'll never get something like that again. I kept hoping for RE5, RE6, Shadows of the Damned etc. to be the true RE5, but it never happened. Ironically it seems that TEW2 might finally fill that title for me.

> CG movies
Dear god, I watched most of those they were hilarious hahaha!

9Resident Evil 7  Empty Re: Resident Evil 7 Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:00 am

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

I don't crave another RE4, it's a bit too gluttonous for me to do so, gameplay wise re5 is identical with more melee prompts plus coop and 6 evolved that gameplay and I love that combat too. I don't tend to play survival horror stuff like classic re and silent hill, closest I get is stuff like re4 and dead space, cuz I like shooting things....that are spooky. I like horror aesthetics, also since horror needs good atmosphere they tend to on average have good footstep sounds, I like good footstep sounds.

I don't think re7 is nearly as good as it's made out to be, this supposed 'return to form' is a bit limp if you ask me. I don't see any other possible directions the series taking, they've done classic RE, civilian coop with outbreak series, rail shooters, gun survivor was the fps spinoff and action with the last few entries. I'd rather capcom give it a rest and try giving some love to another series, maybe dmc, onimusha or mega man, though I doubt any of those will happen.

I don't know how I'm supposed to care about the re cast given how capcom gives them a face/voice lift every generation, I only really like re4 Leon and crew and wesker in umbrella chronicles and more so re5 are good fun. Umbrella is apparently back but blue and seemingly good this time, capcom has been trying to get umbrella back for a while now, what with neo-umbrella in re6.

10Resident Evil 7  Empty Re: Resident Evil 7 Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:23 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

I have the Gold Edition now which has all the DLC (except 'Not A Hero', but it's free) but I've yet to get around to it. Played up until Mama's area a few months ago then dropped it for MHW. Will get back to it someday.

11Resident Evil 7  Empty Re: Resident Evil 7 Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:22 pm

hedfone

hedfone
A-Rank
Veteran

I decided to pick this up on the steam sale. The trailer for 8 looked cool.

This is easily he creepiest damn game I have played. I am from the south in the US and I would drive by these kind of creepy abandoned houses on the regular. The story is goofy as hell in a good way, Ethan is a mess, but I don't mind him. It is a nice change from the RE6 melodrama.

I thought the opening was so EVIL DEAD, with the zombie girlfriend and Ethan getting his hand chopped off, apparently the code name for the game was based of of the JP name for EVIL DEAD, so they knew what they were doing.

Exploration in the house is top notch, and feels perfectly resident evil. Pixel hunting everywhere for well hidden items, feel like I am playing RE1 again. These items are very well hidden. I thought the stimulants that show items were not needed, but I popped one and realized I missed about 20 items in rooms I thought I cleared. Some of the items are out of view which is annoying.

The combat.. is.. completely functional. The block is weird but it was a smart idea, you really can't dodge most things. I forget about blocking all of the time, it is pretty crucial. It also stops grabs which is interesting.
The pistol with regular bullets is worthless the moment you grab it.
Even one molded is a lot for that thing.
I missed the repair kit outside, which let's you get the upgraded pistol earlier.

I like the bird cage antique coin idea for a "shop" this and TEW's lockers are great ideas.
The days of the goofy omnipresent merchant may be done unfortunately.

The not a hero DLC had those context stun punches so if 8 mixes more of that in, with better movement options, more enemy variety, it could be really great. Let's hope so.

12Resident Evil 7  Empty Re: Resident Evil 7 Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:25 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

YES.

13Resident Evil 7  Empty Re: Resident Evil 7 Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:19 am

hedfone

hedfone
A-Rank
Veteran

Not a Hero is great fun, but short and linear. The stun punch, stomp and parry are perfect additions and complete the combat. Fighting with the pistol is fun as a simple chest shot is a stun on normal molded. With this they can throw so many guys at once and it isn't frustrating, and dare I say fun?

Punch on RT was a bad choice, sometimes you just shoot and don't melee. Should have went with O/B, all that does is 180 which is useless. Also could have used the block button.

I really hope they have this stuff in 8. Glad Chris looks like a roided monster in 8 again and not the weakling from 7.

That trailer looks amazing after having played 7. I couldn't be more happy with the way the series is going. Look I love the combat in 6, mercenaries in that game is sublime. But that was never going to sell, they had to mainstream it up and I think they went the best route possible in that regard.
6 also has horrible levels and encounters, split across too many characters. Mercenaries is the only thing that is perfect. The campaign was only fun maybe a half of the time.

7 is closer to RE 1 than almost every other RE.

14Resident Evil 7  Empty Re: Resident Evil 7 Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:54 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

You've honestly made me pretty interested so far. From what I've heard, and this is mostly the reason I never picked it up, the game is very mainstream with its mechanical depth i.e. not a lot of tools, not a lot of application for said tools (just damage). Overemphasis on unskippable drivel. You know the list I feel. So I'm excited to hear something counter that.

> 6 wasn't going to sell
I'm not sure that's what you meant to write, that sentence reads a bit weird. But RE7 going this route is purely a move for the fans which I do admire. Resident Evil 6 is the second best selling game in the series, beaten only by RE5. One could argue that if RE7 also went action it wouldn't have sold as well since it already sold less than 5, so maybe they did it because of that, but I'm not convinced on this imo.

15Resident Evil 7  Empty Re: Resident Evil 7 Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:10 pm

hedfone

hedfone
A-Rank
Veteran

You are right I forgot that sold well, I guess I meant reviewed well, or liked by critics.
I think if they just kept up with the 6 formula after that for 7, it might not have had the same sales. A lot of people felt burned after buying it. Almost everyone except the hardcore regard 6 as utter crap. What they did with 7 was the safest way to appease everyone and sell/review well, I think they did the best they  could.

16Resident Evil 7  Empty Re: Resident Evil 7 Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:40 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>blocking
I always forget this exists. The game is perfectly playable without it though.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum