You are not connected. Please login or register

What kind of action game you would make if hypothetically you have the time, skill and resources for it

+2
Nadster
Golden_GustVerse
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Golden_GustVerse

Golden_GustVerse
D-Rank

> Just curious. Mine is basically DMC but more focus on melee, crowd control and ground combat + dropped mechanics of DMC 3: free ride, crazy combos, wallrun.

Nadster

A-Rank
Veteran
Was one of the original users

First and foremost, a wrestling action game. Mostly as a 3D Beat em Up. Essentially, you could use strikes and moves on opponents. Use them to smash them into walls or launch them off of roofs.

GN1

B-Rank

You mean something in the vein of Def Jam Fight For NY but with being able to fight crowds and having normal levels instead of arenas?

Nadster

A-Rank
Veteran

I haven't played Def Jam Fight for NY but yes to the crowds and the normal levels.

Golden_GustVerse

Golden_GustVerse
D-Rank

>what about you GN1?

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I had a few ideas over the years:

1. Runner
A game where you run through stages with a really long scarf/hair. The game is mostly about platforming, and you only damage enemies by having them touch your scarf. Skill would be in manouvering smartly to get as many enemies touched by the scarf as possible, while avoiding damage and being fast. Enemies would ofc. be highly aggressive.

2. Wallgame
2d action game. Enemies and you are sprites, backgrounds are 3d (think CvS2). Concept is that you have a special button that summons a wall in any of four directions. You can throw enemies into the wall for wallbounce combos or crushes, or use them to jump off of or recover from falls. Never worked out the idea further than that but could be interesting.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

Golden_GustVerse

Golden_GustVerse
D-Rank

>Runner.
This is really cool! I can see the Shinobi inspiration ahah, love it. It is very worth exploring imo. You can brainstorm so many applications for the scarf: can player turn around and use the scarf for defense? what happens if player passes by enemies close enough to get hit? Can they drag enemies with a scarf perhaps? Does the scarf possess some abilities like grappling hooks that can be used to grab enemies/objects or used in platforming like a web swing and even fling the player into any direction? Scarf could also make use of extension and compression mechanics: extend for snatching objects from far or connect to poles for web swinging, while compression acts like a spring, adding lots of momentum to the player or perhaps an object they throw.

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor

I can't really think of anything the would be truly unique.

One thing I've always thought would be cool is a Getter Robo action game. Yeah it's a giant robot but the mechanics would still be action. Has three forms woth different properties, tons of weapons.

Shin Getter was in Another Century's Episode 3 but those games play like shit and have basic homing melee and shitty shooting. Changing form doesn't even do anything where in the manga/anime it can be used as a dodge.

Golden_GustVerse

Golden_GustVerse
D-Rank

Birdman wrote:I can't really think of anything the would be truly unique.

One thing I've always thought would be cool is a Getter Robo action game. Yeah it's a giant robot but the mechanics would still be action. Has three forms woth different properties, tons of weapons.

Shin Getter was in Another Century's Episode 3 but those games play like shit and have basic homing melee and shitty shooting. Changing form doesn't even do anything where in the manga/anime it can be used as a dodge.

Do games have to be unique?

Interesting suggestion tho, the only robot action game I am thinking of is Zone of the Enders. Armored Core is something different.

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>Do games have to be unique?
Not 100% but they shouldn't be clones. I wouldn't want to make anything that's like something else.

>ZoE
Now that I think about it I don't really want a GR game. The three forms would likely lead to color coded enemies. Still struggle to see how high speed could work without being totally unfair.

Golden_GustVerse

Golden_GustVerse
D-Rank

Birdman wrote:>Do games have to be unique?
Not 100% but they shouldn't be clones. I wouldn't want to make anything that's like something else.

>Oh I agree, why waste resources on clones.
But how far you want to go on a scale from "obviously inspired by this game" to "never seen before"?
Since you love Chaos Legion you might try to put your own twist on it, like I wanna do with DMC. Up to you ofc.

Birdman wrote:
>ZoE
Now that I think about it I don't really want a GR game. The three forms would likely lead to color coded enemies. Still struggle to see how high speed could work without being totally unfair.

>Welp, that was quick decision lol>

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>a scale from "obviously inspired by this game" to "never seen before"
Never seen before might be possible for individual mechanics but unlikely as a whole system.
I'd still try to make everything as unique as possible. Completely rule out all the 'big' mechanics going around (stagger, weapon switching, endless combos). Maybe focus more on environmental stuff and having bigger emphasis on status effects in an action games with tons of weird interactions like in Okami.

>Since you love Chaos Legion you might try to put your own twist on it
It's not difficult to think up tweaks for existing games. Like if I were to remake CL I'd balance some of the legions better.

Astral Chain has quite a few things from CL and also some I thought might work in CL.

>Welp, that was quick decision lol>
Can't think of a way to make it fair. Getter 2 is too fast. How do you actually represent that? It's like the problem with a Superman game. He's super fast, so the enemies are designed to just match him, meaning he's not fast anymore. Just normal speed.

Golden_GustVerse

Golden_GustVerse
D-Rank

Birdman wrote:>a scale from "obviously inspired by this game" to "never seen before"
Never seen before might be possible for individual mechanics but unlikely as a whole system.
I'd still try to make everything as unique as possible. Completely rule out all the 'big' mechanics going around (stagger, weapon switching, endless combos). Maybe focus more on environmental stuff and having bigger emphasis on status effects in an action games with tons of weird interactions like in Okami.

>This is really interesting!
Is it ok if you elaborate on status effects and environmental interactions with examples(>_<), I wanna make sure I have same picture in mind as you.

Environmental interactions: Is it contextual moves (Pole Play DMC 3)? Grabbing and throwing objects at enemies? Triggering environmental hazards? Perhaps activating pillars/gates/etc?

Status effects: are they like hitstates? something like elemental status effects?

Birdman wrote:>Since you love Chaos Legion you might try to put your own twist on it
It's not difficult to think up tweaks for existing games. Like if I were to remake CL I'd balance some of the legions better.

Astral Chain has quite a few things from CL and also some I thought might work in CL.

>Fair judgement.

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>environmental interactions
Wall hit, ground bounce, maybe even hitting them up into a ceiling causing them to bounce back down into the floor. Stuff like that.

>Status effects: are they like hitstates? something like elemental status effects?
Yeah. Quite a few action games have them. KH, Astral Chain has slow (and probably others), Chaos Legion has fire and electricity that can catch on to others (knock an enemy flying with an attack that sets them on fire and any other enemy they touch will catch fire and be knocked down), I believe NEO TWEWY has them too. Transformers Devastation has quite a few (Rust, Freeze, Stun, Burn, Stuck (or whatever you call getting hit by gel guns), GoW's Petrify. Okami lets you affect other states with your abilities (moving bombs with wind, setting them off with fire, putting them out with ice, wind blowing out fire or blowing fire breath back at enemies, deflecting projectiles in various ways, slow).

Golden_GustVerse

Golden_GustVerse
D-Rank

Birdman wrote:>environmental interactions
Wall hit, ground bounce, maybe even hitting them up into a ceiling causing them to bounce back down into the floor. Stuff like that.

>These are pretty subtle as interactions but very promising. I have ideas for designing weapons that capitilize on these.

Birdman wrote:
>Status effects: are they like hitstates? something like elemental status effects?
Yeah. Quite a few action games have them. KH, Astral Chain has slow (and probably others), Chaos Legion has fire and electricity that can catch on to others (knock an enemy flying with an attack that sets them on fire and any other enemy they touch will catch fire and be knocked down), I believe NEO TWEWY has them too. Transformers Devastation has quite a few (Rust, Freeze, Stun, Burn, Stuck (or whatever you call getting hit by gel guns), GoW's Petrify. Okami lets you affect other states with your abilities (moving bombs with wind, setting them off with fire, putting them out with ice, wind blowing out fire or blowing fire breath back at enemies, deflecting projectiles in various ways, slow).

>Status effects are indeed very fun to play with)
NEO has lots and is good at them, Mageknight posted some clips of them in practice (in pin mashups).
Also GoW's petrification looks dam versatile, maybe too much, Idk if it overshadows rest of the combat options.

Golden_GustVerse

Golden_GustVerse
D-Rank

>Getter Robo
Now that I think about it, it might be the anime Itsuno grew up watching as well. If not, what kind of anime are they referring to in GDC talk?

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Can you quote what they said?

Golden_GustVerse

Golden_GustVerse
D-Rank

Birdman wrote:Can you quote what they said?

Matt gave two examples of Itsuno's experiences of watching mecha.

Example 1.
One robot (that was popular and got merch, idk, they couldn't get rights to even name the anime) was badly beaten by a group of bad guys, before some guy appears with a new robot that obliterates the bad guys that were giving old robot trouble. So that new robot became new popular character and got merch.

Example 2.
Team of 3 robots struggled to beat one bad guy, some space princess arives and merges with previous three to combine into one large robot that beats the bad guy without sweat.

Idk what those are.

Perhaps 1st one is Mazinger Z or something.

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

So pretty much every mecha anime ever.

Golden_GustVerse

Golden_GustVerse
D-Rank

Maybe, I am not well versed. Closest mecha I watched was Symbiotic Titan and other obscure western cartoons inspired by mecha.

Shrekgamer69

Shrekgamer69
D-Rank

Last edited by Shrekgamer69 on Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Shrek is a timetraveler that goes back in time to make Madworld: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2MYPmbgrI0

First thing that came to mind honestly when you made that description. Still haven't played that game one day. You tried it?

https://stinger.actieforum.com

Shrekgamer69

Shrekgamer69
D-Rank

Last edited by Shrekgamer69 on Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Golden_GustVerse

Golden_GustVerse
D-Rank

>Shrekgamer69

What would you add to the big chainsaw idea

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]