How do we place a game in to the action genre? In your opinion, are there any sort of criteria it has to meet, or rules it has to adhere to?
The term "action" with regards to genre is incredibly broad, and can sometimes feel vague. The inspiration for posting this topic came from looking at the sort of games being discussed in the "Various Action Games" and "Various Other Games" sections of the forum. There has been a lot of discussion on titles that would fall under the 3D beat-em-up/hack and slash/character action/spectacle fighter/"insert made up terminology here" genre, but as a forum we have covered more than that. Under action games, we've discussed games as varied as:
- DOOM Eternal (First-Person Shooter)
- P.N.03 (Third-Person Shooter)
- Guacamelee! (Metroidvania/Beat 'em Up)
- Sin & Punishment series (Rail Shooter/Shooting Gallery)
- Dragon's Dogma (Action RPG)
Under "other games", there are discussions on:
- Metal Gear Solid 3 (Stealth/Action-Adventure)
- Nex Machina (Twin-Stick Shooter)
- Ikaruga (Shoot 'Em Up)
- Mega Man series (2D Action/Platformer)
- Resident Evil 4 (Third-Person Shooter/Survival Horror)
Given that there are mechanical similarities and overlaps between games discussed in both sections, what factors influence your decision when classifying action titles?