You are not connected. Please login or register

"Retro" FPS games

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1"Retro" FPS games Empty "Retro" FPS games Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:27 pm

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
A-Rank

I'm going through a phase right now where I'm really interested in classic first person shooters. I think some of my interest was sparked by Roy's article on the OG DOOM, which prompted me to finally finish my DOOM 2016 playthrough. It turned out to be a fantastic game, sticking mainly to the strengths of old school shooters, but throwing in some new twists like the glory kill mechanic and customisable secondary fire modes for your weapons. I loved all the military style FPS games in my teens but they really don't come close to the arcadey goodness of the classic FPS design philosophy.

Coming off the back of DOOM, the current Autumn sale on Steam seduced me in to picking up the bundle of DUSK and Amid Evil. Both titles are fairly new but are obviously throwbacks to the godfathers of the genre. I've played about an hour of DUSK tonight, and it reminds me of Quake in all the right ways. I did say I was going to give Painkiller a shot next, but couldn't resist the bundle on offer right now.

Some recent retro-styled shooters are covered by Civvie 11 in thie below video. I think they were still ind evelopment when he made the video, but they've all had their full releases now.

Anybody have any favorites in the genre?

2"Retro" FPS games Empty Re: "Retro" FPS games Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:05 pm

Nadster

A-Rank
Veteran
Was one of the original users

I think that overall, the Modern Shadow Warrior is my favorite.

3"Retro" FPS games Empty Re: "Retro" FPS games Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:26 pm

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

Painkiller.

4"Retro" FPS games Empty Re: "Retro" FPS games Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:43 am

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
A-Rank

> Shadow Warrior

That's cool. Have you played the original? I've played a good chunk of that one but haven't tried the reboot.

> Painkiller

The more I hear about it, the more praise it gets. I'll play it next after I've finished my new games.

5"Retro" FPS games Empty Re: "Retro" FPS games Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:27 am

hedfone

hedfone
A-Rank
Veteran

It is actually retro, but if you haven't played it..
PLAY, BLOOD.
Best FPS of all time.

Also I love Civvie, I think he has the best gaming channel going right now.

6"Retro" FPS games Empty Re: "Retro" FPS games Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:39 am

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
A-Rank

> Blood

The "Fresh Supply" re-release is on my list of stuff I need to play. I think it's basically a source port allowing for higher higher resolutions and stuff like that. Have you played it?

> Actually retro

I put "retro" in the title because the games I was first going to mention were newer titles, but more than happy to discuss actual classics too. OG DOOM might be my favourite shooter of all time.

7"Retro" FPS games Empty Re: "Retro" FPS games Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:48 pm

Nadster

A-Rank
Veteran

I never played the original Shadow Warrior. Really like to. Did you know that when you start a new game, they show you the first level of the original before the you start playing?

8"Retro" FPS games Empty Re: "Retro" FPS games Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:20 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I second BLOOD, absolutely fantastic game, hard as nails though. The Fresh Supply is pretty good, though apparently it was pretty botched originally. You can get it on a discount today on GOG iirc.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

9"Retro" FPS games Empty Re: "Retro" FPS games Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:18 am

hedfone

hedfone
A-Rank
Veteran

>The "Fresh Supply" re-release is on my list of stuff I need to play. I think it's basically a source port allowing for higher higher resolutions and stuff like that. Have you played it?

I bought it and returned it within the hour as a didn't like the changes. The big one for me was a lag when you quicksave, which the original did not. Also didn't like the included controller support and prefer to map it in joy to key through BLOODgdx.
Also not a source port as the source doesn't exist, watch the civvie videos on it for more info. Though for ease of use it is good, for purists it's a bit funky.

10"Retro" FPS games Empty Re: "Retro" FPS games Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:50 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Note that I think Civvie also noted that Fresh Supply fixed nearly all of its initial mistakes iirc.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum