You are not connected. Please login or register

DMC5 General Discussion

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 4]

151DMC5 General Discussion  - Page 4 Empty Re: DMC5 General Discussion on Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:24 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Oh god, don't do that hahaha! You know those guys probably don't even know what NG is Razz

https://stinger.actieforum.com

152DMC5 General Discussion  - Page 4 Empty Re: DMC5 General Discussion on Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:36 pm

Nadster

B-Rank
I've been trying to find that twice so far for the replies and I can't find it.

153DMC5 General Discussion  - Page 4 Empty Re: DMC5 General Discussion on Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:09 pm

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
B-Rank
I'm seriously sick of all the fanboys over at r/DevilMayCry constantly whining for validation by the gaming websites that they constantly complain about. Like, what the fuck kind of relationship is this?

154DMC5 General Discussion  - Page 4 Empty Re: DMC5 General Discussion on Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:18 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
It's the eternal circlejerk:

"IGN said this game is a 10/10 so it should be good"!

One day later:

"IGN said this game is a 3/10, cannot spell ignorant without IGN haha".

155DMC5 General Discussion  - Page 4 Empty Re: DMC5 General Discussion on Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:46 pm

Birdman

I have never seen a more insecure fan base.

156DMC5 General Discussion  - Page 4 Empty Re: DMC5 General Discussion on Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:28 pm

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
B-Rank

157DMC5 General Discussion  - Page 4 Empty Re: DMC5 General Discussion on Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:46 pm

Omega ZX

Omega ZX
D-Rank
This is the game I'm playing right now and I'm loving it SO much. I should have picked this one at launch instead of Sekiro (which is an amazing game, don't get me wrong).

Talking a bit about my relationship with the series, I am a fan of DMC 3, 4 and DmC DE. Each one of these titles imo does something better than the other two, but also something worse:
- DMC 3 has ofc great historical value and has Devils Never Cry which might still be my fave DMC song. However, I think that half of the bosses are just bad.
- DMC 4 has the best combat mechanics and bosses (not counting 5 yet), but the enemy design sometimes gets really frustrating, especially with the blitzes and the chimeras
- DmC DE is kind of controversial, but I think it's easily the best art-wise. The disco level is probably my favorite of the whole series. However, as much as I love the combat as well, I feel that they could have done more with the bosses and could raise the difficulty a bit, DMD here is comparable to SoS in DMC 4.

Sadly I don't really enjoy DMC 1, because I played it too late and can't get accustomed with the camera and the checkpoints. The checkpoints are a product of their time, but I believe that the camera is genuinely a flaw sometimes, and a quite frustrating one. DMC 2 just doesn't exist. :D

Back to DMC 5... I think this is the magnus opus of the series. Nero and Dante play the best they've ever been, V is really interesting too albeit not as fun as the other two, and the game manages to be both extremely complex and easily accessible for newcomers. The enemies are great and the average boss quality is pretty high, too. The very final battle is probably my favorite fight in the series, I've replayed it several times (mainly for the soundtrack, lol).

Now I have 27 hours in and have done Devil Hunter, some Son of Sparda (mission 13 right now) and some BP: the highest I've got is floor 83 with Dante, but with Nero I can't even reach 41 consistently.

Surprisingly I'm not having many issues in SoS (I haven't died yet), but I'm still scared for DMD. I've watched TheSeraphim17's videos (which I recommend, I love how in-depth goes that guy when criticising a game, he's almost an inspiration) and it seems that it will be quite a difficulty spike in both damage received and enemies' health.

158DMC5 General Discussion  - Page 4 Empty Re: DMC5 General Discussion on Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:01 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
DMD is mostly just more tankier foes that hit harder, so unless you're face tanking in SoS you won't really notice that much of a difference aside from bosses lasting longer.

Regarding the series, I like all of them in different regards, even DMC2. It's not bad, just different and very rushed. I think I like DMC1 and 3 the most, and 4 the least as a whole. 5 is a good title for me, but a tad too easy imo.

DMC1's checkpoints are never that big a bother for me considering how short the missions are (between 1-3 minutes), but it can get tired at times walking back to certain fights.

159DMC5 General Discussion  - Page 4 Empty Re: DMC5 General Discussion on Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:15 am

Birdman

>However, I think that half of the bosses are just bad.

Am I the only fan of the time freeze horse?

160DMC5 General Discussion  - Page 4 Empty Re: DMC5 General Discussion on Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:58 am

Omega ZX

Omega ZX
D-Rank
Geryon is ok, but his version in 5 is so much better. I was referring to Arkham, Lady, Gigapede, Jester, somewhat even Agni & Rudra which don't fit the combat system at all, and Vergil 3 which can get a bit bs with his devil trigger (unpopular opinion, I know). I really like Nevan and Vergil 1/2.

About 5 being a tad easy I think it comes down to the fact the we as players have already experience with the series and are accustomed to the mechanics. It would be interesting to see a newcomer's playthrough.

Or maybe it would be more frustrating than interesting, because some people have a hard time understanding that jumping is the main defensive option and they'd probably complain that they can't avoid attacks. There is an Italian journalist who ranted about both Metal Gear Rising (when it came out) and Sekiro because dodging doesn't work, and it's just so stupid imo. I get that some people might dislike being forced to parry everything, but this guy never even tried to understand how these games work.

161DMC5 General Discussion  - Page 4 Empty Re: DMC5 General Discussion on Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:42 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Metal Gear Rising had it really hard. It featured a nearly 10 minute tutorial covering its parry system that everyone skipped only to then not understand it. That really frustrated me at the time. Fact that this game allowed you to cancel all your defensive options into each-other and cancel those animations, it was such a fantastic combat system. Love it!

Regarding DMC's bosses. Arkham is universally loathed iirc, and I don't like it either. The idea of playing with Vergil is cute, and being able to co-op the fight is cool too, but taking away your style is just wack.

I like the rest of the fights though. Lady is fun and different, Gigapede is built around reflecting projectiles back while still offering a healthy dose of alternatives. Vergil 3 is fun if you start to really focus on attacking him during his DT which is really risky, but really adds flavor to the fight. I admit to liking Vergil 2 the most though like most people. But Arkham really makes me groan.

My favourite boss in the series is probably still Nero Angelo. Just such a great set of moves, good music, atmosphere, mystery, lots of creative loops possible. Fantastic boss imo.

Regarding a newcomer playing DMCV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GIVyXkRgWE

DSP is quite notorious for being bad at games, so his videos are always really fun in a dark humor kind of way.

162DMC5 General Discussion  - Page 4 Empty Re: DMC5 General Discussion on Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:24 pm

TaiTsurugi

TaiTsurugi
D-Rank
I generally find bosses in DMC kinda lacking, but I think DMC3 has some of the best ones. Agni and Rudra, Vergil 1,2,3, Nevan, Beowulf and Cerberus are all really well designed around differen types of approach.
DMC4 has Angelo Credo which is arguably the best boss in the entire franchise, with great mechanics that create this amazing back and forth, and the fact tha you can use all of the mechanics against him (JC, Aerial Combos, Inertia, Reversals etc) to creat something amazing. If you want an example watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ken8sOu0x-8 I still consider it the best DMC stylish video ever made.
DMC5 is pretty lacking imho, most bosses(just like the enemies) are way too easy and don't offer much both of term of style play and in terms of general design. It's difficult to explain, it's like you need to play by their rules and nothing else which goes against DMC combat design imho.

@Omega ZX wrote:There is an Italian journalist

Quindi sei italiano anche tu?

163DMC5 General Discussion  - Page 4 Empty Re: DMC5 General Discussion on Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:55 pm

Omega ZX

Omega ZX
D-Rank
Wow that video was soooo good. Another Credo fight I really enjoy to see is this one, because the guy used Devil Trigger as song and synchronized his gameplay with the music. https://youtu.be/ntPAdUT846w

Credo really is an awesome fight and maybe the best of the series from a mechanical standpoint. I might enjoy Vergil vs Nero a little more but that's mainly because of the OST and the build-up.

However, funnily enough what you said about the bosses in 5 is the reason why I don't like Agni & Rudra, they force you to use specific strategies and limit your approach to the battle. I don't think that the bosses in 5 have this problem, except maybe things like the Qlipoth Roots, Crystal Urizen or Gilgamesh, which are considered the least interesting of the game. But then we have Cavaliere Angelo (kind of a Credo 2.0 btw), Malphas, King Cerberus, Final Urizen and the Vergil fights which are all awesome and masterfully designed. Also this is the first DMC game which I feel doesn't have an outright bad fight. The same applies with the enemies, too.

PS: yep, sono italiano ahaha. Ora mi sfugge chi fosse il recensore di cui parlavo, magari dopo controllo. Comunque ricordo che anche Fraws criticò MGR senza averci capito nulla ed ero lì tipo "bruh, u can't be serious"

164DMC5 General Discussion  - Page 4 Empty Re: DMC5 General Discussion on Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:15 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Credo is a fantastic boss fight, completely agree. He's also got one of the best soundtracks in the game paired with the regular angelo foes. One thing I feel he does really well, especially in that specific game compared to the other bosses, is be more than a floating hitbox to sandbag.

While Belial and mister frog all have their interesting mechanics of course, at the core they are just this giant well textured box that you're attacking and jumping off of. They rarely react to your attacks etc. While it makes for fun combo videos, their gameplay aren't that great imo.

I think I mostly just love it when bosses try to be more than 'bigger meaner enemy that you hit until they die'. It is why I really adore what Astral Chain did with its boss fights, same with DMC3, there's nearly always something extra at play.

And eh...ik kan ook een taal spreken die niet Engels is hoor! Razz

165DMC5 General Discussion  - Page 4 Empty Re: DMC5 General Discussion on Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:39 pm

Omega ZX

Omega ZX
D-Rank
I'm not a fan of the defense buff (let's call it DT, even if it's not exactly that) bosses get on DMD when they are at low hp.

166DMC5 General Discussion  - Page 4 Empty Re: DMC5 General Discussion on Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:24 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Isn't it still Devil Trigger? Or did they change that in subsequent releases?

167DMC5 General Discussion  - Page 4 Empty Re: DMC5 General Discussion on Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:29 pm

Omega ZX

Omega ZX
D-Rank
Yeah it's called devil trigger, but I never liked that name because the actual DT works in a different manner (see Vergil).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum