You are not connected. Please login or register

What difficulties do you play for action games?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Veteran
Was one of the original users

I play many action games and do my best to know my limits, I play normal first run then I usually stick to hard;god hand I play normal as I consider lvl3 to be hard n lvldie to be very hard/gene must die.

I would only say I'm decent at them, competence varies as it depends on the game and how I am.

Example; I'm no good at remembering long sequences(only one I remember is my phone number) so bayo n ninja gaiden lengthy dial n pause combos confuse me. I understand dmc, vanquish n god hand best due to simple combo lists, more custom combos with individual moves with simple inputs.

I seem to have a natural understanding of action game fundamentals so I can transition from fairly well.
I don't strive for perfection n just play for fun n get better each time naturally n check for tactics n tech more each time I play. I focus on getting comfortable with a game before anything else.

It's odd I'd say I'm better than a casual due to my experience but I'm not exceptional, just decent overall, which is fine by me.

I play too casually to bother with anything above hard since it's too demanding of my skill lvl. Suffice to say I'm not the one really digging into action games, but that's why the community is here for such help.

Alien soldier has only SUPER EASY or SUPER HARD modes.

It says a lot how devs put a great range of difficulties for player skill lvls.

Aside;Roy could u kindly add a clover games section please or can I do that somehow?

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Gabriel wrote:Aside;Roy could u kindly add a clover games section please or can I do that somehow?
Done, I mixed it with the Platinum Games section since both were generally the same crew. You can't add own boards there though, so if you see one missing (I just added Viewtiful Joe Series and God Hand) let me know via a PM :)

On topic: On my first playthrough I always play on Easy or Normal because I just want to enjoy the game and experiment to my hearts content while enjoying the story. I hate that when I first play a game I can get 'stuck'. I am a very slow player at first, usually by the time players like XHL are putting out sick videos I'm still derping around in chapter 3 or something haha. But I tend to play more in the long run.

Generally after I've learned the game a lot I only play on the highest setting. I recently played Vanquish on just Hard for the first time in nearly 7 years as I consider God Hard to be the definitive way to play. Same with Ninja Gaiden which I generally only play on Master/Ultimate Ninja. The only real exception to this is God Hand which I only play on Normal; I really like the whole leveling-difficulty system there and it being absent in Hard doesn't sit well with me.

Gabriel wrote:Example; I'm no good at remembering long sequences(only one I remember is my phone number) so bayo n ninja gaiden lengthy dial n pause combos confuse me. I understand dmc, vanquish n god hand best due to simple combo lists, more custom combos with individual moves with simple inputs.
Have to say this is the first time in my life I heard someone say DMC has easier combos to remember than Ninja Gaiden. Ninja Gaiden seems like it has a lot but most weapons only have 3-4 combos. It just lists all the variations like "what if you jump from a wall" and "what if you are under water" and "what if you are ON a wall" etc. Makes the list seem very long.

When you say you haven't tried the hardest settings most of the time, I get that. It can be pretty intimidating. But if you want we can work on it? Pick a game, grab the hardest setting and rock through it. I can give you tips if you wish. Let me know :)

https://stinger.actieforum.com

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

Sure I'll try Roy but I'm really not the best for those higher modes, I'll beat hard for vanquish n try god hard with your help(watching your vanquish shotgun run). I'll dedicate to vanquish for a bit then. Thnx.

I did beat dmc4 se on dmd just to get dante/Nero super costumes, it was too hard for me mostly n I cheated using items which I usually avoid entirely, except credo who I beat legit since I love him n I respect rivals too much to cheat(beat tiger joe with no god hand, love tiger joe) which shows how fair of a boss he is, they knew not to milk him of all bosses.

I know I can get real good with dedication but if I play for too long in short succession I can get burned out but I'll keep coming back for more n I always get a bit better each time.

Dmc I like how each weapon has a set amount of individual moves that u can chain together, so it makes more sense to me than set combo strings ya know, but yeh dmc3-4 r top of the food chain for combo setups since it's custom combos.

It's like dmc is street fighter to tekkens ninja gaiden/bayo, that's sort of how I see it in terms of combat.

I did get good enough to parry most mobs in dmc3 but I played turbo this yr n I had to get used to the speed boost n didn't try parry much.(Dante parry is my fav type as mgr/Bayo it's too easy to spam it n it works, u have to be perfect with dmc parry n really know each mob, plus Dante guard animation is preemptive so u have to do it just as the attack is coming)

I'm sure I can get high lvl since I am getting better in the long run, so if so many can get gud like driving or riding a bike then I doubt I'm an exception.

Some adapt faster to some games, mikekob said it took him a whole month to get used to god hand controls, it didn't take me very long for god hand, god hand makes sense to me more than ninja gaiden, it's how it's all designed so I think it take to how god hand,Dmc n vanquish r. Ninja gaiden I'm the worst at out of all of them, but still play n get better, it's how u n mobs have so much movement options n space so it gets too much for me sometimes. I try to remember some combos so I don't mash which is not good play. I do still know how to do a izuna drop.

I'm actually impressed I can retain the fundamentals of action games n pick up n play on a whim n then get better soon after.

excellence is not an art it's pure habit, we r what we repeatedly do.

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor

Sure I'll try Roy but I'm really not the best for those higher modes

I know this as sounds obvious as it gets, but start from the basics (I mean basics as in, the advanced stuff). I wasn't the best at a lot of games I'm good at now.  

I remember practicing jump cancels in DMC3 way back, and at first it was horrible and just pissed me off. I get what you mean about getting burnt out. Just don't sit there for hours I guess.

From your posts, you definitely know your stuff so don't worry about it. As Roy said, just let him know and if it's a game I know anything about I can chime in too. There are also a lot of tutorials on various actions games. Come to think of it that sounds like a good topic. I know Chasertech has some freakin' awesome tutorials for DMC4SE.

Last edited by Birdman on Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Of all the difficulties God Hard is probably the scariest haha, but you can always give it a go! 1-3, 4-3, 5-2 and 5-3 are generally the hardest points with the rest being pretty doable. The fine thing about Vanquish is that it's short. Unlike NGB or DMC3 where you're looking at a pretty sizable campaign. There's a Vanquish guide a few topics down with all the advanced tips. Practice those, perhaps on Hard, to get a feeling for it.
Will have to say the feeling of besting the 'hardest setting' can be really great!

For me, to compare to fighting games, it's always been this in my eyes:
Ninja Gaiden = Dead or Alive (obviously, since it's the same team).
Bayonetta / DMC = Super Smash Brothers: Melee / Marvel vs Capcom

For me getting back into a game usually takes about 5 minutes, but sometimes I will have to refer to old notes on "how the hell did you avoid that move again..?" haha.

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor

What I forgot to say before, is when starting a new action game I'll usually play on normal to get a feel for everything. I'll always seek out an isolated area (or create one by defeating all enemies and not moving on) to figure out what I can do, what can be cancelled etc.

If it's another type of game, like say Horizon Zero Dawn or The Witcher 3, I play the hardest from the start because with long RPGs, most of the time there's no replayability for me. No ranks of high scores. Just that long main story again. Some have interesting build options that can keep me replaying though like Dragon's Dogma.

Speaking of Horizon, that ultra hard mode is out. I wonder if it's worth picking up again?

For me getting back into a game usually takes about 5 minutes, but sometimes I will have to refer to old notes on "how the hell did you avoid that move again..?" haha

There are some games that I never forget like Chaos Legion, but most others I'm the same. Some quick de-rusting gameplay solves it.

Last edited by Birdman on Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Birdman wrote:If it's another type of game, like say Horizon Zero Dawn or The Witcher 3, I play the hardest from the start because with long RPG there's no replayability for me. No ranks of high scores. Just that long main story again.
Same for me, I started the Witcher 3 on Hard and quickly switched to DeathMarch (Very Hard) afterwards.

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

I played nier on normal then 2nd run on hard, it's odd since it's unbalanced on hard early on as u don't have the weapons, words n lvl to deal reasonable damage, takes ages to kill bosses early on n u take big damage unless u use items which I did. It's more that some bosses have seals that u have to break which have their own life bar(which damage remains for) n if u don't break it in time bosses can reset life to a previous phase, some bosses avert this due to their design(gargoyle cube man, defense system ghipetto, can't remember others, lots of bosses in nier)

Late game u get enough weapons to buy n collect that can deal stupid damage(pheonix spear) along with words that boost n give u bonus stats.

Nier I like as a game it is more commendable as a game than nier A since cavia where not known for making great games but experimented a lot. Nier A has massive issues as a game that r due to taro not getting game design so he just fucks its core action game design up with shitty lvl issue among others.

Another thread I think.

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I added a Nier: Automata board : )

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum