You are not connected. Please login or register

God of War trilogy Vs Devil May Cry 4 Vs Bayonetta trilogy. Which game has the best grab system?

+5
THE Egyptian slayer
Royta/Raeng
Birdman
Phoenix Wright
Zapan
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Zapan

Zapan
C-Rank

As the title says.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

No idea about either of these, but going by Roy's GoW1 article (where SBK gives his notes on it, and he's someone who played Bayo and DMC4), it seems to be GoW by a landslide.

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Veteran
Was one of the original users
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic

GoW. Easily. There's no debate.

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

GoW by a metric mile. Bayonetta's throws are very situational and not really a huge active part of her kit. DMC4 literally has a single throw and it doesn't even deal collision or ring-outs. It's literally a QTE button.

Only games that come close imo are ZoE2, Guacamelee and Yakuza.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

THE Egyptian slayer

THE Egyptian slayer
D-Rank

Gow 1 and 2 3rs one is just idk for me its wierd after playing 1 and 2

https://www.youtube.com/@Private-rm3tv?si=owdILrzyaxIXhef1

Zapan

Zapan
C-Rank

Royta/Raeng wrote:GoW by a metric mile. Bayonetta's throws are very situational and not really a huge active part of her kit. DMC4 literally has a single throw and it doesn't even deal collision or ring-outs. It's literally a QTE button.

Only games that come close imo are ZoE2, Guacamelee and Yakuza.

Bayonetta seems to more moves in that regard, though. Stuff like punishes on weaker enemies, and torture attacks, as well as the whip's grabs. I also vaguely remember that it allows for some form of collision damage with the whip, and in the Jubileus boss fight. Though you have to use magic to gain access to most of those grabs. That's for Bayo 1, don't know if, and how much that changed in 2 and 3. Afaik, in 2 torture are less useful due to Umbran Climax.

Those are not action games, though. At least not of the Hack and Slash/"Stylish" variety, though I don't know about Yakuza.

DMC 4 seems to be inferior, yes, if only because it has less grab variety in the air, even compared to GoW 1, no ground to air grab, and no option select. Though I might be misremembering, because it's been years since I last played it.

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

It's mostly about what the actual purpose of the grab is imo. In GoW, they have application beyond "deal damage", they create spacing, ring-out, deal collision - while in most other games it's just damage. Torture Attacks are a grab in a sense, but it doesn't do anything outside of damage. There's no real depth to it outside of meter-management if you get me.

> ZoE2 isn't an action game
Heresy. It is, very much so. Guacamelee is a bit like metroid with good combat. Yakuza is...everything haha

Memes of Monsoon

Memes of Monsoon
D-Rank

Bayo handles the strategic aspect better and Nero input aspect. Despite being context sensitive it has multiple uses like access to Angel weapons, increased combo points, health, big damage and a moment to relax a little on infinite climax during intense fights. However context sensitive nature means a lot of uncertainty which is annoying. The whip grab is great.

Nero in spite of having a dedicated grab button lacks such options. It does decent damage and you are vulnerable during animation so it doesn't stand out. Using enemies as a shield is interesting but the enemies aren't aggressive enough for it to matter. Also you have to hold the button entire time making it cumbersome to use. 5 addressed the damage issue which made it an exciting option on DMD mode.

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak
Expert on The Evil Within

Of these, GoW. But ZoE2 and Streets of Rage 4 have the best grab systems overall to me.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

One of the things I like about GoW's grabs is that they ignore difficulty settings. So on Very Hard (where you're usually nerfed), their potency remains unaltered.

>ZoE2
I plan to play this or God Hand after Chaos Legion.

Zapan

Zapan
C-Rank

Phoenix Wright wrote:One of the things I like about GoW's grabs is that they ignore difficulty settings. So on Very Hard (where you're usually nerfed), their potency remains unaltered.

>ZoE2
I plan to play this or God Hand after Chaos Legion.

Until GoW 3, alas (but at least 3 compensated for it via Battering Ram and Combat Grapple), and it got entirely removed in the other games.

Well, good luck with God Hand, it will really kick your arse. I got to the second fight against Elvis, and I couldn't get past it (granted, that was also due to a variety of reasons not directly concerning difficulty), and in general I found it worse than NGB, since you don't have OP stuff like UTs to help you here. But it shouldn't be too much of a problem for someone who beat the Clone War without upgrades, I guess.

One thing GH has that is awesome and unique is that difficulty (which goes from level 1 to level Die) varies based on how skilled you are: the more you kick ass, the harder the game gets, and viceversa.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

>it will really kick your arse.
Yes, I heard it's quite difficult the first time around. But also heard it's very rewarding once you learn its systems.

>shouldn't be too much of a problem for someone who beat the Clone War without upgrades
That just means I invested enough time to get good at it, but naturally, the skills gained for that fight don't translate to other games.

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> God Hand
There's still a lot of busted stuff, but it takes a bit of searching. Roulette and God Hand are very powerful moves and there's a reason the most popular (in game) challenge run prohibits their use. Later-on you'll also gain access to drunken-moves which are absolutely insanely overpowered for the most part, to the degree that most runners ban them as well. There's also some really dull abusable combos like high-stepkick canceling against a launched enemy (infinite most of the time) and jabjab>guardbreak which nullifies a lot of the enemy cast (but is boring to play that way).

GN1

B-Rank

The best advice I can give regarding God Hand is to learn when during their animations you can counter hit enemies and also see how it works with each individual move in terms of both timing and distance from the enemy.

I might be wrong, but I feel that the tank controls also allow you to move in a more "precise" way by letting you have finer control over your steps (Kinda hard for me to explain), which goes hand in hand with carefully managing distance from enemies (and counter hitting them).

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

>jabjab>guardbreak
I've heard this is the go-to strategy for No Upgrades + KMS runs. And maybe even regular KMS.

>advice
Appreciate it.

GN1

B-Rank

guard breaks are very important yes but counter hits are even more so and will help you with crowd control.

Zimnas

Zimnas
D-Rank
God of War
Expert on all things God of War

White I enjoyed the Bayo 1 whip's 360 spin grab (great for farming points when fighting multiple opps in WT), GoW proper blows them all out of the water. You can even parry the collisions caused by you from what I remember.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum