Warship
TheFirmament1
Gabriel Phelan Lucas
Royta/Raeng
Birdman
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Batman Arkham Series General Discussion Empty Batman Arkham Series General Discussion Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:10 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Veteran
Was one of the original users
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic

The purpose of this topic is general Arkham series discussion.

Post anything, like changes, stuff you like/disliked per game, etc. I'll make focused topics later.

Last edited by Birdman on Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I generally am still disappointed about the lack of actual citizens. Arkham City did is sort of clever with its premise but in Knight it was pretty obvious they just wanted to avoid the whole situation by having the city 'evacuate completely' (sure...). I really just want to feel like I'm Batman in a city full of crime, now it just feels like this big empty space with nothing to really do.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Yakuza seems to pull that off pretty well.

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

True but there you walk among the streets, which Batman generally doesn't do. But to have an entire game about rooftops would also get pretty...boring haha.

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Yeah thats a good point, that Batman never walked among civilians. Maybe we could switch to Bruce Wayne for that lol.

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I would love that if on the rooftops you were Batman, and that you could explore the citystreets as either Bruce Wayne or his alter-ego Matches Malone. Hell to even see Matches Malone get the love and attention the persona needs would be amazing since he's never been seen in any media outside of comics.

Long story short, Matches was a criminal Bruce got killed by accident and only he knew. So he buried him and ended up dressing up as him to blend into the criminal underworld as Matches was quite the 'character'.

Batman Arkham Series General Discussion Matches-malone

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

That would be pretty neato.

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

But the game would be less of an action game if it played like this wouldn't it. There would have to be a large portion of the game as Bruce/Matches. It would become more like the Yakuza games.

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

The Bruce parts have been emulated by the tell tale batman game, not sure if other batman games have Bruce Wayne sections. Arkham city only has that brief Bruce Wayne intro part which isn't any different gameplay wise. I'm sure it could be pulled off somehow. Maybe Bruce sections would have dynamic dialogue options like alpha protocol and social stealth or something.

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

I wouldn't play it. I only want an action game.

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

Batman RPG. With extra 'content'. ;)

I can see it happening, especially with modern design trends of gameplay/story integration. I'm fine with just batman.

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

One thing I did not like about the series as a whole was the boss fights. It wasn't too noticeable in City, but by the time I had gone through Origins, it was painfully noticeable.

What I mean is, they are mostly just predator encounters or scripted somehow. I was super disappointed to see that Deathstroke was largely similar to Ra's al Ghul in City, reusing some of the same animations. Two Face, Harley, and Deadshot were just glorified predator encounters. Some boss fights were ok. Everything in Asylum I consider fine as it was the first. That woman in Origins who could create multiple copies of herself was a good fight and the giant electricity guy was decent.

The system just isn't designed for 1v1 encounters though.

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

Totally agree man. Sucks so bad as batman of all series needs great boss fights. It's an absolute waste of one of the best rogues galleries of anything ever. The games still have some unique and well designed bosses when they where actually being creative. I thought killer croc, scarecrow and mr.freeze are some of the more novel ones. City has the best bosses by far, they clearly learned from asylum.

Knight is the worst in this regard it doesn't even have any proper bosses it's all either predator mode or a fight against a big black boxer boss guy who is pretty much like any other large mob you face with extra goons helping out. Killer croc is also a similar fight in a Dlc. Arkham knight boss is just an actual predator encounter where he sits up high sniping at you which is so lame and lazy for what could have been the most interesting and well designed boss to end the series.

The combat makes up for its lack of nuance with 1-1 encounters with its variety through enemy numbers and gameplay types, that's its strength.

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Yeah Mr. Freeze is great. Even though it's a predator encounter, nothing works twice on him and there are all kinds of options to deal with him. I love that fight.

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

It got too formulaic by origin and Knight was really pushing it. Still a real solid series. What does bother me somewhat is that most AAA games and such follow the basic 'I can't believe its not arkham' combat to a tea. It's that or souls basic formula. Makes me appreciate unique action games more, its pretty much take your pick so I can't complain haha.

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

The combat in Arkham was great, though I wish there was a bit less emphasis on gadgets at times and that their use was a bit more .. well .. useful. For instance a batarang stuns or knocks down, but the gel also is a type of crowd control, and so is the electric shocker gun, and the explosives etc. It's all a bit the same in their usage. The only gadget that is an exception is the grapple which you can use to clear distances etc, which is excellent. I'd love to see a better balance here and have every move have a specific use. It doesn't need to be DMC or NG, I love the way the combat works now but some balancing is really needed.

Same with the special moves. Some offer you a single 'kill' while another can take out up to ten for the same price, and the stun is mainly just a point-builder.

EDIT: about bosses, it never works for Batman. He's too powerful for regular guys to take on one versus one in any scenario, even if you are Grundy or Clayface. I liked the Freeze and Red Hood fight the most. Origins had some really cool fights too such as the finale against Bane which was really fun and well done and same with Deathstroke which was a really fun fight to do. Origins is still my favorite out of the bunch.

17Batman Arkham Series General Discussion Empty Re: Batman Arkham Series General Discussion Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:17 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Mine is Asylum now. It was City, but only because I rushed through Asylum years ago and wasn't very good at it. All the games have some great parts and fights though.

Agree about the gadgets. Outside of combat they're useful but in combat as you said, a lot do something similar and the only reason to use them is for points, though there is still a bit more to them.

This is another reason why I like Asylum more. There aren't as many useless things and even some unique ones like the triple Batclaw that never returned. Pummel was ok in City, but not having it doesn't take away anything in Asylum. It struck me as no more than combo bloat.

I really like the special move, 'throw', in which Batman picks up a guy and throws him (obviously) but you can choose the direction and launch him into other enemies. I'm not 100% sure if you can be hit while holding them though. It's a special move so maybe not.

Really need to make a topic but I've put the game on hold for others as is my disgusting habit.

Last edited by Birdman on Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I really miss his throw from Asylum too, great little move (and yeah you were fully invincible outside of hazards). The pummel from City and later is my favorite move though, it just looks so stylish and really feels like putting the beat down on any foe.

Origins is my favorite mostly because it handled the Batman origin very well, better than I ever expected it would. It showed his rage and anger at the start paired with the desire to be a lone wolf, and slowly shows him building relationships with the GCPD etc. It also had some really good gameplay moments like the infiltration of the GCPD which had an insane optional fight. Basically there was a room where guys were discussing to take down Batman. Your mission is to sneak past but you can try to fight them, it's about 20+ guys all with body armor and machine guns so unless you play perfect you are deader than dead - I always do the fight because it's just such a fun challenge.

About the gadgets, I love them in the stealth where they really add another layer. But stuff like the explosives really could've benefitted from a better usage. That said the power-gadgets from Knight (enhanced versions that drain combo-meter) are really fun and interesting. Interestingly enough Knight added a ranking system that barely worked, would've been interesting to see that expanded upon (though I believe the series is dead now, right?).

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

I was looking through my games and saw this. Got to get back to it.

The atmosphere is so creepy and I love to explore this place.

>throw invincible
Glad to hear that. Fantastic move.

>pummel
Aside from feeling and looks, would you say it adds much? My memory is hazy, but aren't you invincible during it? Either way, as I said, it struck me as more a combo builder than anything really unique.

Wasn't a fan of the electric or heat gauntlets either. Didn't they just add 2x per hit?

20Batman Arkham Series General Discussion Empty Re: Batman Arkham Series General Discussion Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:15 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

About which title are we talking?

But yeah the Throw is invincible in Asylum, shame they got rid of that move. The pummel has a few good uses. For one, it cannot kill (only the final few hits can iirc). It also can be canceled and is a good combo builder to gain access to higher special moves. And yeah the Electric Gloves in Origin don't add too much, it is just a regular DT basically to skip certain fights.

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>which title
Asylum. Then I started talking about those moves from other games like pummel.

22Batman Arkham Series General Discussion Empty Re: Batman Arkham Series General Discussion Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:29 pm

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

I've got my gripes with City, and Knight generally feeling a bit too melting pot-ish in their design (Like Tomb Raider 2013, God of War 2018, AC Odyssey...), but for what it's worth, Arkham does tend to better develop the wide array of stuff in there. Unlike the games I mentioned.

Also, Arkham's combat really gets a bit of a bad rap. Yeah, it's pretty annoying to see all the imitators, but it's pretty well-executed for what it is.

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

For me, the bigger the games got, the less motivated I felt to complete them. When I looked at the map of Knight, I sighed.

Asylum feels more concentrated, focused, and I really like the triple batclaw and throw. I love that move so much.

That's not to say the others are bad and don't have cool elements though, but I doubt I'll ever go back to them. I always think about Asylum though.

24Batman Arkham Series General Discussion Empty Arkham Asylum Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:23 am

Warship

Warship
D-Rank

Ok so, I had never played these games until last week when I saw the ps4 Collection on sale, and... maybe I just had low expectations, but I'm playing through Asylum on Hard (probably 1/3 of the way through at the moment) and I'm really liking it.

First of all, I heard the combat in this series gets often criticized for being pretty braindead, but the Hard mode lives up to its name pretty well I think: between the absence of indicators for parries and the enemies being really aggressive, the combat feels like a brutal dance where the player has to be super reactive, or they'll die pretty quickly. It's far from button mashy and it seems like it could have some interesting tech too, but it's too soon for me to delve into that. Maybe on Normal it is actually a bit too easy because of the indicator for parries in particular, but Hard is where the combat shines.

The level design is surprisingly good as well, I knew the first game was more linear than the later open world installments, but I didn't expect it to go full metroidvania. The stealth is probably the least interesting part, it's very basic at the moment, but luckily the associated segments are pretty short and don't overstay their welcome (at least for now).

Long story short I'm surprisingly happy with Arkham Asylum, it seems like a genuinely really good game and I think that every type of player (including hardcore action gamers) could take something from it, which is probably why it is so successful (other than, you know, being Batman).

25Batman Arkham Series General Discussion Empty Re: Batman Arkham Series General Discussion Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:32 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Arkham games are fantastic. I think a lot of people hate them looking back because they started a trend of bad imitators. We used to get a lot of off-brand action titles that tried doing funky things, and all those titles since then just did a barebones version of the Arkham combat, making the genre more limiting.

Arkham City especially has a lot of interesting mechanics, gadgets etc. that you can toy with. My favourite is Origins as it also has some fun boss-fights and a cool setting (christmas).

The first game is the most 'structured'. After City all of them are open world with an easy excuse as to why the world is empty, but Asylum has the best atmosphere and also leveldesign.

My only real gripe with the series is Detective Vision, which is too good and if you don't watch out you'll be playing the entire game looking through it.

26Batman Arkham Series General Discussion Empty Re: Batman Arkham Series General Discussion Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:35 pm

Zapan

Zapan
C-Rank

Didn't know there was a thread for the series, but since I intend to replay Asylum, I'll throw my two cents in.

To me, the first two games are excellent titles, with City in particular being a masterpiece. I think it's a better game than Asylum in most respects, though you could criticize the fact that, for instance, the Riddler's challenges are a bit too many.

I also like the combat very much, because it's more complex and hard to master than it seems, and ending an encounter with a single, uninterrupted combo is so satisfying. City was a considerable improvement in this regard too, with options like beatdown or the triple cape move, as well as more special moves, all of which makes it harder to go back to Asylum.

Still, while I like the open world map, I sometimes miss the smaller and more focused design of Asylum, not to mention its atmosphere, all of which still makes it hold up overall.

Origins is great, but is the worst, due to a number of reasons. Like less interesting Riddler challenges, relative lack of innovations/improvements arousing a sense of déjà vu, electric gloves and Deathstroke's gadget making things at times too easy, combat seemingly being more prevalent here compared to its predecessors, and other stuff.

Didn't play Knight.

27Batman Arkham Series General Discussion Empty Re: Batman Arkham Series General Discussion Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:56 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> Asylum and City
In general I feel both excell at different things. Asylum nails that atmosphere that honestly City lacks, though City is great and filled with references (since it's based on Old Gotham, you can find a lot of cool references to architecture and locations from the og-lore).

> Origins
It's my personal favourite as noted, not big on the Power Gloves like yourself though.

> Knight
It's really, really good.....in the challenge maps. The story pushes the Batmobile way too hard, to the point of hilarity. Making up a number here, but it really feels like 90% of the Riddler Trophies are Batmobile related. And while I can suspend my disbelief seeing Batman throw a guy off a building 'non lethally'. Seeing him ram a guy at 220 KPH with his car straight into a wall followed by shooting him with a "Non lethal MISSILE" ... that's a bit much.

The Challenge Maps are grand though. Especially with all the DLC you've got a huge selection of characters. Some are a bit half baked though. Batgirl is basically a nerfed Batman with nothing unique to her, while Azrael (though, inkeeping with the lore) is a carbon copy of Bruce (basically a skinswap). Catwoman, Robin and Nightwing are unique though.

28Batman Arkham Series General Discussion Empty Re: Batman Arkham Series General Discussion Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:48 am

Zapan

Zapan
C-Rank

> Asylum

I'm replaying it these days, just beat Killer Croc, great and tense level. The combat feels a bit simplistic compared to the sequels, but it's still fun. What's still great, though, is the atmosphere, and I also love the smaller scope of the game, with indoor areas being more prevalent here.

Also, the triple bat claw is neat, it's a bit of a pity they removed it from later games, it's very satisfying to use it to knock out multiple enemies in predator encounters, even though it doesn't happen often.

The boss fights are a bit repetitive, though, certainly not as good as the ones in Origins. I also missed being rewarded with more lore for solving the Riddler's puzzles like in City.

> Origins

The electric gloves are not a huge flaw, but they still represent an unbalanced element of the game. Oh, and they also give you massive points in challenge maps (in fact, it seems they are necessary if you want to get all medals).

Deathstroke's gadget is very fun to use (I especially enjoy throwing explosive canisters at enemies with it), but it's also unbalanced, as it tends to noticeably simplify predator sections.

To me the biggest flaw of Origins is the relative lack of innovation. I mean, City didn't exactly revolutionize the formula either, but it had enough improvements to still be an overall fresh product. Orgins often feels more like an expansion pack, albeit a great one. Heck, it even copied one of City's gadgets, while giving it a different coat of paint.

Another flaw is the presence of the grappling hook's upgrade, something that was supposedly invented only by the time of Arkham City, and you also have less grappling spots, making navigation less smooth.

Still a great game, though. I'm surprised you view it as the best, that's certainly an unpopular opinion.

> Knight

Noted. Yeah, the Batmobile being overused is a common criticism, and it appears there is a lot of tank fighting in the game. Perhaps they did it to avoid criticism about the formula getting stale after what happened with Origins? Just my speculation.

I like the innovations to combat, though, especially things like environmental takedowns, and being able to use some enemy weapons. Also, the fact that flying around was made even more smooth than in City.

I never payed too much attention to challenge maps, I must say, though when I do I tend to prefer predator maps.

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> Asylum
Yeah it's like with a lot of games, the original entry is so pure. There's not a lot of focus testing yet, or feedback they're going off of. So there's sometimes a couple of those weird moments like the Crock chase scene or the 'hide from the giant scarecrow' moments.

> challenge maps
The fight maps are legit interesting if you enjoy the combat, a lot of them really push you to learn the (wonkey) scoring system and they try to mix things up constantly. There's even a map with infinite enemies in the later games and it allows you to play with a vast variety of characters.

> Origins lacked innovation
 It's definitely City+, most of the things City did well Origins does equally well or a bit better. I especially like the bossfights, the mood, the new detective minigame and especially the more minute things like being able to go to the bat-cave, the multiple costumes, the locations (penguin's boat is great for example). It's also a great christmas game, and I love the take it has on the Batman Year One mythos. I've got a huge batman-comics collection so that certainly helps. City's plot never connected with me, while the way Bruce builds his relationship with James here works well.
If you go in expecting it to be just a great new entry, what's there to hate I'd say.

> Knight
The flying was made a bit toooooo easy if you ask me, I do like how it works but it gets a bit crazy to the point that Batman legit feels like he's got super-powers.There's lots of tank-fights yeah and one of the 'hidden bosses' against Deathstroke is also a tank-fight which is super lame.

There was a pretty cool glitch (that they fixed) in the DLC that gave the entire map snow, which was super cool. Also it was pretty freak'n cool to just drive around in the Batmobile and fight crime. It's a great 'batman simulation' game in that sense as long as you don't push it.

30Batman Arkham Series General Discussion Empty Re: Batman Arkham Series General Discussion Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:54 pm

Zapan

Zapan
C-Rank

> Asylum

Hey, I actually like those sections. Anyway, I finished it. Fantastic game. Not gonna replay challenge maps, though.

> Origins

Completed it too. I was close to the end, so it didn't take much. Anyway, what do you think of the Cold, Cold Heart DLC? I heard it's great as well.

Oh, I had forgotten the new investigation mode. I definitely like that it was made more elaborate here, with more input on the player's part, but I would also have liked developers to make it more like a real puzzle.

I'm a bit conflicted about the new upgrade system. On one hand, it encourages you to complete more sidequests, or approach situations in different ways to get upgrades, on the other hand it makes it more difficult to get stuff that in previous games was taken more for granted.

> Batman Year One

I only watched the movie a few years ago, but I don't remember it much. Is it the one where Loeb was still the chief of police?

My only Batman comic so far has been Grant Morrison's Arlham Asylum.

> Map with infinite enemies

I think there is one in later editions of Asylum as well.

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Yeah there's so much DLC for these games it's honestly hard to keep track of it at times haha, especially pre-order DLC. I didn't play ColdColdHeart. I heard good things, but at the time it wasn't available on the WiiU (which is what I played it on for some godforsaken reason).

> investigation mode
Yeah it was a bit too lineair for my taste, but it was nice that they at least attempted it. Knight tries this as well but it kinda falls flat (and is very over the top at times).

> year one
Yeah in general I'm a big fan of the comics, so that one especially hit a lot of high notes (as did Asylum). City felt very phoned in on that regard, especially how they just shoved Hush into that sidequest for example.

32Batman Arkham Series General Discussion Empty Re: Batman Arkham Series General Discussion Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:58 pm

Zapan

Zapan
C-Rank

> Investigation

Would have been interesting if they gave us the option to commit mistakes, and then be punished, changing the outcome of missions as a consequence. How did Knight do it?

> Hush

The identity thief? Never completed that sidequest, I always find the first corpse and then I get stuck, since there appears to be no clue leading to the next victim, and all murders seem to happen in obscure alleys.

City had perhaps too many villains, anyway. The most disappointing arguably being Mad Hatter, since he is quite important to the background story of City. Also, Two-Face, given that he is one of the most iconic, and yet he only appears for a short time.

> Comics

Which ones are your favorite, aside from Year One?

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> batman comics
Big ask haha. Some are easy to recommend to new readers like LongHalloween+Dark Victory, while others like Son of the Demon are a lot harder pills to swallow for new readers. I'm a big fan of the decade-spanning Grant Morrison arc, and also of City of Crime. If you want something more different, Batman Joker/Noel/Damned is a great trilogy, while Hush is a great intro story that basically gives you all the villains in a single book.

If I had to pick my favourites it would probably be Year One, Dark Victory, City of Crime, Son of the Demon, New Gotham, Birth of the Demon, Death and the Maidens and Gotham Central. My favourite villain is Ra's Al Ghul which you can kinda see in those titles haha.

> two face
He's always hard to do justice, even in the books. Since he's generally just a gimmick with a gun and a lot of emotional baggage. There's only very, very few stories that do right by him.

> Investigations
Knight did them the same way, but with a ton more holographic stuff that makes it feel even less real. Agree they could've done so much more with it. Though I get it, Detective-Mode was the bane of the series since day one.

34Batman Arkham Series General Discussion Empty Re: Batman Arkham Series General Discussion Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:08 pm

Omar73874928271728

A-Rank

I haven’t played these games in a long time, but I remember always liking the atmosphere a lot. Again, while generic, it makes you feel like Batman quote exists for a reason(totally not copying what raeng said).

Zapan

Zapan
C-Rank

Roy

> Comics

Noted. Are some of these from the New 52 continuity anyway, or does it suck? If I have the chance, I'll start with Long Halloween anyway.

> Ra's Al Ghul

Fascinating villain, yes, definitely one of the most interesting in Batman's rogue gallery so far. I liked his portrayal in TAS, and in Begins as well, even though his goal was apparently changed in the latter. Same with City, but he was seemingly made weaker/less competent as a combatant here, and I feel he also doesn't have the space he deserves in the game, despite what we know about him (no spoiler for those who didn't play City in full). Joker, as much as I like him, effectively stole the spotlight from Ra's, and it seems he did the same in Arkham Knight with Scarecrow.

> Detective-Mode was the bane of the series since day one.

I wouldn't go that far, even though, with the way it was done, you seriously risk having it activated all the time, and hence not fully appreciating the games' locations, only occasionally turning it off to see where the quest marker leads you. It was more like a missed opportunity with the crime scene minigame, imo. Not a real flaw, but more of a pity.

Maybe they shouldn't have gone as far as making crime scenes work like an adventure game puzzle, but more interaction and less "linearity" would have been welcome.

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> comics
NEW52 has a few good ones, but in general most of the stuff after Morrison's arc just feels like they're either pandering to 'remember that story' or trying way too hard to be this next epic big cross-over adventure. The story "GRAYSON" is pretty great, as is Damian Wayne's solo outing in "ROBIN". Everyone loves the Court of Owls but it never connected with me.
The Batman and Robin arc by Gleason and Tomasi is fantastic though.

> Ra's
I like how they're technically so very similar and respect each other so much, yet the scale is different. There's a pretty good (badly drawn) tale where during the adventure Ra's tries to remember the name of a soldier that once was a thorn in his side some 800 years ago. He then suddenly thinks "will I ever forget about The Detective"? It's a powerful moment. I also adore the arabic vibe, and Talia is my favourite 'femme fetale' for Bruce, way more than Selina imo.

> detective mode
Yeah it's mostly too strong that there's no reason to turn it off. I always wished that on Hard you could only use it while standing still or something, would've made it immediately better imo.

Paul Allen's Profile

Paul Allen's Profile
C-Rank

>the atmosphere
Is really well-crafted in those games. Thugs' dialogues really add to it. Having them comment on recent events in story, or just talk between themsevles about Harley being a guy, fleshes them out.

>New 52
I've dabbled in comics for a bit - read few classics. I liked Snyder&Capullo's run on Batman (It was my start really). Court of Owls was really good imo. I also found Capullo's art really memorable. I finished reading it by Zero Year - Dark City for not particular reason. I can't evaluate  how it compares to other run, but I like it and I've see that it get weird latter on.

> My experience with Arkham games
I especially like City, it's the one that I spent most hours with, not so much with the others and I haven't played knight yet. City was really the first game that I 100%'d. Where I ultimately think the game shines is the riddler's revenge and I really think that the stealth aspect of it is underrated.

38Batman Arkham Series General Discussion Empty Re: Batman Arkham Series General Discussion Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:59 am

Paul Allen's Profile

Paul Allen's Profile
C-Rank

I've revisted Arkham City recently and playable characters are more varied than I remembered - noiticed some new things as well.

General:
Quick explosive gel can take out enemies by launching them off platforms.

Smoke bomb can prevent enemy from taking a hostage if used when enemy attempts to do it.

Batarang multiground takedown seemingly has no limit, making it possible to take out even 17 thugs at once with correct explosive gel setup.

If extinguishers are destroyed enough times, thugs will become annoyed by it (not a mechanic, but nice touch).

Reverse batarang is useful diversion tool as enemies tend to search for the source of trouble - reverse batarang divert their attention away from Batman.

If enemy pulled by claw hits other enemy, it will count as collision (not always works though).

Robin:
Shield bash can also stop bullets during strike.

He has throw form Asylum (A+B), it takes out thrown enemy and knockdowns enemy hit by thrown thug.

Nightwing:
Shockwave cancels Abramovici Twins' attacks, especially useful since they ignore all player's I-frames.

B+A combo causes knockdown on armoured enemies, makes Abramovicis spin and various other effects associated with electricity.

Catwoman:
Spikes thrown on the ground can be used to localize enemies, since they sometimes yell when they step on them.

Paul Allen's Profile

Paul Allen's Profile
C-Rank

Quick gel can destroy extinguishers

When enemies are panic shooting, bullets don't deal dmg.

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>When enemies are panic shooting, bullets don't deal dmg.
That's interesting. I always avoided them when they started doing that. So really it's just a trick to distract and control the player.

Lollipop Chainsaw has something similar. The biohazard suit guys walk towards you breathing purple fumes. But turns out this does nothing. It's just their walking animation when holding a cannister. For years I didn't know this because they have a breath attack that looks similar so I would avoid the purple fumes. Wasn't until I started my guide and studying each enemy that I found out. Before this I would try to get around them or only attack between bursts.

Paul Allen's Profile

Paul Allen's Profile
C-Rank

>trick to distract and control the player
I've tested it with electric impulse, bullets just flew straight through Batman lol. Also, often they're not even aiming at the player. If the panic isn't caused by smoke, nor electirc impulse, then it's just scripting for show.

>Lollipop Chainsaw
That's interesting aspect of using psychological trickery in game design to make enemies appear more threatening.Never really thought about it.

Paul Allen's Profile

Paul Allen's Profile
C-Rank

After knocking an enemy down, it's possible to preform silent takedown by getting behind as he raises.

Funnily enough, if enemies are pushed over edge using melee, they will land with their feet on the ground.

Window takedown has invincibility during animation (?).

Map related stuff
On the map Top of the World, Catwoman can navigate outside of the tower without using vantage points and minimal use of ledges by cancelling grapling animation and aiming with the camera and re-grapling (not reliable as points to which she clings are - more or less - random).

Additionally, as there is no penalty for fall, falling will teleport character to starting balcony or near a vent leading to crates on the upper floor of the Tower depending on the player proximity to given point.

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> stealth takedown in combat
Does this only work against a single goon? Or does this even work in a giant brawl?

Paul Allen's Profile

Paul Allen's Profile
C-Rank

> stealth takedown in combat
It only works in predator mode apparently. It's very context sensitive game. Somethings don't work in combat and others in stealth. I lured and grouped thugs in predator section, got 16x combo, but I couldn't manage to pull off combo attack.

Paul Allen's Profile

Paul Allen's Profile
C-Rank

It's possible to cancel slide into ground-takedown, but for some reason, you don't get the medal for ground-takedown in some challenges for doing it.

During floor crate entering animations, a crate can stop bullets.

Paul Allen's Profile

Paul Allen's Profile
C-Rank

There seems to be I-frames on key animations of environmental takedowns.

Here is above the ledge takedown I-frame demonstration:

Edit: it won't accept timestamps, 0:30 is the time.

47Batman Arkham Series General Discussion Empty Re: Batman Arkham Series General Discussion Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:01 am

Nuclear Sorrow

Nuclear Sorrow
D-Rank

I found arkham knight to be quite an addicting game like I have 170+ hours on game already. The AR challenges and the amount of content that this game has keeps me driving to play it even more.

Combat and stealth in this game are a massive improvement for sure

48Batman Arkham Series General Discussion Empty Re: Batman Arkham Series General Discussion Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:42 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Knight is blistering with content, especially with all the DLC. Getting all challenges maxed out with all characters is a lot of fun and takes quite a lot of time too. Blast to play.

Omar73874928271728

A-Rank

https://youtu.be/J5VnxQ4amqg?si=Xlf2H5OkZSDiPeev
Mayos vid made me pretty interested in trying this game out….

Paul Allen's Profile

Paul Allen's Profile
C-Rank

Damn, he played Arkham City ... and shit, he gonna play DMC 1. That will be interesting.

>NG fan
huh.

>Real GoW
Taking potshots at Nu-Gow Hah.

>Stealth
Section is not too long. Shame.

>... unlike GoW
Why he cares so much about chaining system in GoW?

>Arkham Asylum's combat
Surprised he liked it. He describes the game accurately. Guess, it really aligns with his philosophy of forcing player.

>Arkham City
He likes it more. He describes it here also well.

>Catwoman
Oh, he likes Catwoman. Well, can't blame him hah. She always striked me as gimped character tbh. Her toolkit is rather limited and not that unique. For some reason, she doesn't have Titan mounting mechanics, but Nightwing and Robin have it.

He forgot to mention one big change from Asylum to City. Asylum has actual hitbox, so you can hit multiple enemies with one hit, whereas City has paired-animation saddly. He could have given more of his thoughts on the games' scoring as it's really talked about.

Overall, he suprisingly positive here. He doesn't criticizes those games all that much. I don't even know I would praise it that much, since I have few complaints, despite really liking them.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum