Birdman
HotPocketHPE
Infinity_Divide
andthenweplay
TaiTsurugi
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

51Streets Of Rage 4 - Page 2 Empty Re: Streets Of Rage 4 Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:46 am

Jackie Estacado

Jackie Estacado
C-Rank
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic

>it might be a good idea to try something new

i mean i wouldn't mind a 2d spinoff, it's specifically the 3d part that disappointed me

>Shredder's Revenge

i had checked out The Electric Underground's review as he's the only youtuber i know who talks mechanics and one of his major problems was he felt it was too reliant on dodge-rolling. i know you're not a fan of iframes so i take it you don't agree, or maybe that's one of the things they changed in the updates.

>I might have undersold it, it's definitely very good

nah you didn't, i meant like as long as the recommendations are at least pretty good i'll check it out

>Capcom Beat Em Up bundle, Alien vs Predator, Final Vendetta, Shredder's Revenge, The Takeover

noted duly

>If emulation is an option for you

it is

thanks for the recommendations, boys

SOR4 notes:

fun detail, Galsia's names changing to "GASLIAAAAA" after their power-up from the dominatrix boss whipping them

just discovered that Axel's Grand Upper ducks Big Ben's fire breath attack, that's really useful

so far i'm gravitating to Axel, Floyd, Max, and Blaze. what are your favorite characters, lads?

52Streets Of Rage 4 - Page 2 Empty Re: Streets Of Rage 4 Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:45 am

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Psychobreak
Expert on The Evil Within

>Galsia name change
Neat little detail. That fight is so good too; as long you're calculated/aggressive enough none of the enemies will get powered up after the initial couple. The spikes on the wall is a nice touch too.

>Grand Upper ducks fire breath
Holy shit, good find.

>favorite characters
I've messed around with them all a decent bit and enjoy everyone but Axel and Max are by far my favorites. Axel is really tied to strong fundamentals which I really like and I love all of his moves(there was a lot of talk at first that Dragon Roll is busted but I don't use it much compared to his other moves because I find them more fun). Dragon Dive is godtier and Dragon Crush applying burn is very amusing. His charge kick plus Dragon Bite is a go-to combo for me.

Grapplers always pique my interest in anything so naturally I love Max(and Floyd). Picking up enemies and tossing them around and setting up thunder slams is peak gaming. I have a hard time picking between rolling grab and thunder tackle though.

There are a lot of little things in the game I really appreciate too, like the different animations and hitboxes for weapons depending on who is using them(like Max's extending behind him). It's crazy just how many weapons there are and how there's actually a lot of different properties among them.

Also find it funny that this game managed to sneak in some elemental stuff yet fucking Final Fantasy 16 couldn't pull that off lmao.

53Streets Of Rage 4 - Page 2 Empty Re: Streets Of Rage 4 Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:55 pm

Jackie Estacado

Jackie Estacado
C-Rank
Survivor

>That fight is so good too; as long you're calculated/aggressive enough none of the enemies will get powered up after the initial couple.

yeah and when you fuck up you got a combo-breaking nightmare on your hands. such a great boss fight.

>Axel and Max are by far my favorites

>love Max(and Floyd)

good shit bro, i'm the same; Axel is my number 1, Max second, and Floyd third

>Dragon Crush applying burn is very amusing

that flame provides a really comfortable buffer between you and enemies for a bit-- very safe special. nicely differentiated between Dragon Dive which goes further and sucks up enemies but you're more vulnerable afterwards.

>I have a hard time picking between rolling grab and thunder tackle though.

same, i always switch between them

>Dragon Roll is busted

i haven't used it much yet but from what i've seen it's not busted by itself, but when you use it in combination with another move, like Dragon Upper > Dragon Roll, then as long as you hit someone with the roll you can keep looping that forever and be virtually invincible. so yeah definitely some ridiculous OP shit in this game-- Estel's charge attack is another example of where fun goes to die.

>His charge kick plus Dragon Bite is a go-to combo for me.

his charge kick cancel into his moves is so. fuckin. good. you can also cancel it into a back attack for a movement boost but the timing is trickier-- not yet good enough to pull that out of my ass on a dime. the charge kick is also an anti-air attack. Axel's such a beast, goddamn.

>weapons

yeah it's awesome. i'm still getting used to them-- i'm asking to get my combo broken when i use them right now-- but they're very fun and useful tools when you get the hang of it.

54Streets Of Rage 4 - Page 2 Empty Re: Streets Of Rage 4 Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:29 am

Jackie Estacado

Jackie Estacado
C-Rank
Survivor

really appreciate the Survival mode. big points for it being customizable as well-- i've always lamented the lack of customization with these types of game modes. i remember when i played the Geometry Wars games back in the day the fact that it starts off so slow was what made me drop it fast but here you can set whatever level you want to start at, and other great features like being able to turn off environmental hazards. which starting off at level 0 isn't boring to begin with in this game thanks to the score chaining system.

i guess i'll treat this thread as the beat em up general; i picked up Fight'N Rage, Final Vendetta, and the new TMNT. i like FNR and FV, will talk more about them at another time, but first i gotta get this out of my system regarding TMNT.

my biggest problem is the enemy design. most enemies either throw out attacks just because you're vaguely around them or pre-emptively throw out instant-attacks the nanosecond you get in their range, so you can't get the first attack in. this already takes a giant stinky doodoo on the-- to put it in fighting game terms-- 'neutral' game; it puts the kibosh on normal movement & attacks and forces you to spam specific moves like the dive kick and running attacks to gain priority over their bullshit attacks. then when you combine that with the fact that there's an umpteenth number of super armored attacks & enemies, blocks, un-grabbable enemies, shields, projectiles, invincible wakeup attacks and so on, it cements the game into this defensive nightmare where you can't control an enemy or crowd whatsoever (you don't have any crowd control ability to begin with), you are at the complete mercy of them. you're desperately wanting to play proactively and control the flow of battle rather than having to bait & punish most enemies, desperately wanting to not have to mindlessly spam overpowered high priority attacks, desperately wanting to be able to attack for more than a second at a time but every other second you have to jump/walk out of the way/use your dodge-roll/etc. to avoid an attack from the enemy you're hitting or someone else-- it's a constant exercise in frustration, just really obnoxious to play.

the fundamentals are so non-existent here that it doesn't play like a beat em up at all, it plays like a 2d Dark Souls game where most of the 5-20 enemies on your screen are Dark Souls bosses, which is about as fun as it sounds. some more obnoxious design is that there's a straight up barrage of projectiles flying across the screen at all almost all times, and i'm including enemies like the dinosaurs within the definition of projectile here because of their constant super armored charge attacks-- lots of other enemies like that too. i mean, i know i've barely played any beat em ups but i've only seen careful, limited use of projectiles in quality beat em ups and i'm pretty fuckin confident it's for good reason, which is that all this does is further make the neutral game as brutal as humanly possible and further forces you to always be sprinting + slide kicks and jumping around + dive kicks.

the enemies are extremely Simon Says (ex. slide kick then uppercut on the black ninjas or you're in for a bad time, dive kick on the drones or you're in for a bad time, etc.), the movement is a sloppy imprecise mess due to the inertia, and so is attacking for 2 reasons; one is that if you're holding or have pressed any movement direction within the last second when you press the attack button your character will do this lunge variant of their initial normal attack-- which for most characters is considerably slower-- so your jabs are glacially slow in this game. the other reason is that there's this auto-aim to your attacks, particularly your running attacks, which i guess is their backwards way of trying to put a band-aid on their shitty movement and enemy movement design instead of making those good to begin with. and if god forbid you ever make the mistake of rolling out of your wakeup, you will inevitably wind up within the range of an enemy who will immediately, mercilessly, and justly knock you on your ass again via instant-attack for having the nerve to use a mechanic that the game gives you-- amateur hour!

there's other issues with this game but these are the most important ones. if you didn't feel like reading all that and just want the gist: it plays like shit and i don't recommend it (no i will not put that at the beginning of the post)

55Streets Of Rage 4 - Page 2 Empty Re: Streets Of Rage 4 Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:32 am

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

>doodoo on the neutral game
This is such a massive problem with modern action games. Every game is so obsessed with the last second parry/dodge and enemy/move assist that spacing basically doesn't even exist. All gaps get closed and movement is beat out by everything else.

>defensive nightmare
You don't like just waiting for enemies to do stuff that you react to?

>ungrabbable enemies
This shit really annoys me. Grabs aren't good in the game to begin with.

>wanting to play proactively and control the flow of the battle
A lost art in modern games. Developers think enemies need to control the flow of the fight because otherwise players who are uncreative and don't take initiative with mechanics will get bored and pull an Under the Mayo where they complain the game doesn't "force them into the fun zone" or whatever fucking stupid shit(even though you can make a game hard AND allow proactive combat, like SoR4, or NG2, or God Hand, or ZOE2, or....).

>2D Dark Souls
Haven't we suffered long enough?

>projectiles
Like you said, it's to get the normies who will inevitably play the game(due to the subject matter) to dash around and use the high priority attacks so they can feel like the game forced them to do something cool.

>auto aim attacks
Totally necessary in a 2D game.

>running attacks
Their inclusion definitely doesn't help with the neutral game, you always want to go for a running attack rather than standard attacks.

I played quite a bit of Fight n' Rage recently, it's definitely wayyyyy better than TMNT. Like it isn't even close, that game has actual fundamentals, better enemies, and a parry system that isn't DDR.

56Streets Of Rage 4 - Page 2 Empty Re: Streets Of Rage 4 Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:54 pm

Jackie Estacado

Jackie Estacado
C-Rank
Survivor

Max's Rolling Grab can grab enemies mid-air and otg? whoa

been broadening my horizons recently, picking characters other than Axel, Max, and Floyd. i'm usually not the type to enjoy all characters or weapons or whatever in a game but all of them are awesome-- appreciate the big roster too.

>you always want to go for a running attack rather than standard attacks

that alone makes TMNT a fuckin joke. spacing and mindful offense doesn't exist, it is literally just "mindlessly sprint towards the vague direction of an enemy + running attack" or "mindlessly jump towards enemy + divekick". it offends me that this game got praised and made money purely because of the graphics and TMNT licensing/nostalgia.

>"force them into the fun zone"

anyone who says shit like this is an enemy of the state to me

Fight'N Rage first impressions:

awesome game, content-rich-- lots of branching paths, difficulties, endings, turbo modes, side modes, unlockable costumes, et cetera. just a few nitpicks: locking some costumes behind getting an S rank in side modes like Time Attack-- which is very brutal to achieve-- is obnoxious. i have to question if the dev has ever seen a CRT screen before because the CRT filter, rather than adding blur, looks like it wipes my screen with a 70% Vaseline 30% cum mixture-- it's so gross. i remapped the special attack but that also changes the 'back' button for the menus to whatever you remap it to.

Final Vendetta first impressions:

awesome game, light on content (boss rush mode, training mode, a throwaway survival mode, and 1 unlockable costume per character). the length will please people who prefer beat em ups to be short (this is 30 min for an average playthrough). just a couple of complaints: could really do without the environmental hazards, in particular the ones in the Dock level. there's even a hazard in the boss segment that artificially interrupts you beating his ass-- that's a big no-no where i come from.

Claire is very underdeveloped (even her sprite with those pseudo anime eyes looks odd). Duke: can kick off walls and enemies, great jab, damaging combos and juggles, tons of cancels, fully iframed uppercut attack. Miller: slow but high damage, difficult jab, a good crowd control projectile special, tons of cancels, grappler, unique ground game. but Claire has almost nothing going for her; lowest damage, no cancels, no combos, weak juggles, her running attacks suck. i don't see anything good or what differentiates her from the other 2 characters other than her jab and chi blast projectile special have longer range than the equivalents in the other characters.

57Streets Of Rage 4 - Page 2 Empty Re: Streets Of Rage 4 Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:50 am

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

>all the characters are awesome
We love to see it.

>TMNT got praised
By the same people who ignored the great beat em ups no doubt. It does have a dodge which distracts casuals from the actual design.

>Fight N Rage
Maybe I'm missing something but is Gal kind of not great compared to the other characters? I mean Norris completely runs circles around anything she can do. But yes, awesome game and the developer clearly understands the genre.

>Final Vendetta length
I like that I can get a quick arcade experience from it, the difficulty definitely ramps up quickly.

>environmental hazards
The ones inside the elevator are awful.

>Claire underdeveloped
Very odd considering she's like the face of the game. Sort of like Axel being weak when SOR4 launched(luckily the devs are smart and just kept buffing shit as the game went along rather than hand out nerfs).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2