You are not connected. Please login or register

Metacritic is utter garbage and a bane to gaming.

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Veteran
Was one of the original users
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic

Just saying.

Recently had a discussion about this with someone and just the views I've read online are mind-boggling. Ugh, how can anyone justify that completely broken, garbage system?

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

Haha, thanks for being so frank.
I don't check meta critic or any site for reviews really, I don't even consider scores it's only a disservice to the reviewer,viewer and games in general since it's simply rating ones own opinion and valuing the number and not the critique itself. But it's never going to go away as score systems feed into how humans want a quick validation of their purchase, it sadly taps into the conformist nature of humans all too well, most would rather conform to an accepted standard instead of making their own minds up pretty much goes for everything most humans do.
I'm very recluse so I don't keep up with social networking or trends. Scores and such only bothers me when it negatively impacts a game that deserves praise and sales.

But what exactly are your gripes in some detail?

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

It's an aggregate score from multiple (unreliable) sources and they have their own 'weight' system which is further nonsense.

I shake my head every time I see someone pass on a game because it was an 80 on Metacritic.

Publishers care about these scores and push devs. This complete BULLSHIT shapes what games are and ensures good shit fails. Most of these reviewers don't even play the genres they review. Remember the infamous God Hand review?

It's unbelievable how many gamers buy into this worthless garbage. This is why the action genre is dead, content (as in, open world collectathons) and length of time to get to the end credits is all that matters.

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

Yeh it's piss but that's humans for ya, it's not going to change any time soon or likely at all it's far too effective and the real issue is the fools who believe in these systems. It really is down to conformity and confirmation bias since that's what most humans rely on for pretty much everything. I wouldn't suggest fretting over it too much if you can't change it, it sucks but I'm not the socially active and keep to myself and avoid most human interaction since I can't stand humans generally. I'm here if you want to complain about it, so don't kill yourself over it if it bothers you that much, I'm gonna stick to this forum and my own devices so thats my minute way of fighting the system. Someone who bases their likes and dislikes of arbitrary ratings is a fool and I won't have anything to do with them in short.

I do hate the 'short so it sucks' argument nowadays, due to this now everything is bland massive clumps of land mass with the same few mundane activities(collect-a-thon as you said haha) to do ad nauseam with no innovative mechanics to its name, not to mention needless braindead upgrade trees and rpg stats and levels for a sense of progression over a simple set of skill based mechanics that actually contribute to the possibility space of a game.

It's playing it safe since that's guaranteed to be what sells the most, its hard to be creative when most teams are owned by evil corporations. Indie teams tend to be the ones to experiment and make what they want without AAA stipulations.

To be optimistic platinum is still indie so they are still alive for now, and team ninja are still making games so they can have a chance to make another action game and yakuza team are still around,don't know about itsuno and crew though. As long as those devs can pass on their knowledge to another generation something will be made.
Action games are still being made it's just seen a big recession in mainstream gaming, more will be made and still are its a matter of time, I can't be too sad I still so appreciative for having so many to choose from as is. Every genre has its time, some stick around more others.

The ign god hand review I only even read due to mikekob's god hand lp as I watched that recently,he had someone read it for his stage 7-2 vid I think, he caught me off guard with that haha.

Roy would have some sage stuff to say when he comes back off holiday.

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

I'm here if you want to complain about it, so don't kill yourself over it if it bothers you that much,

What they hell gave you that idea? lol.

Indie teams tend to be the ones to experiment and make what they want without AAA stipulations.

That reminds me, I need to make a topic for Housemarque games. I bought Matterfall today and love Resogun. I've yet to play Nex Machina. Haven't touched Matterfall yet either because I bought it while working today. Will wait until the weekend.

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

The only way for meta critic to faulter is if sites omit scores in the first place, very simple solution since it's the number that's the issue, which will not happen humans love sticking cards up with arbitrary numbs on them. Then consumers will be forced to read/watch reviews, except if bullet points exist which is effectively akin to scores and usually accompany them. Imagine if we spoke in only scores and bullet points; I don't like you because [bullet point basic bitch reason] I give you a 3495.5863/100000000% out of 10.

A complex opinion can't be summused with an arbitrary numerical value anyway, that's pretty daft if it can since it's not really an opinion worth a damn to me. If reviewers where interested in being objective then they would actually state game mechanics in some detail, but most fail to mention basic mechanics/techniques.

Anyway, best not bother with score mongers and stick with the 'enlightened' few I guess haha. You won't have to put up with scores from me buddy.

Do you keep up with meta critic then? I'm only just reading its wiki page, I'm pretty ignorant to this stuff as I stay well away for good reason. It just gets me sad, and I'm not interested in doing a crusade so I don't see any practical value in getting pissed at it for too long.

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

I seen nex machina it looks pretty rad.

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

I don't. In fact, I looked into it for the first time when I made this topic yesterday and was disgusted at how it actually works.

I'm pissed at it because this bullshit destroys games and publishers won't fund something they don't think will score 80-90. This discourages creativity. The action genre is already dead and it's only going to get worse until all we have will be cinematic games with tons of glorious 'content'.

To be honest, I have enough games here from older consoles and a ton I still want to get that will last me a lifetime, but this shit still needs to die.

Last edited by Birdman on Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum