Nadster
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Otogi: Myth of Demons Empty Otogi: Myth of Demons Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:37 pm

Nadster

A-Rank
Veteran
Was one of the original users

This is a Hack and Slash game developed by From and Published by Sega. I wanted to make a topic about this. I haven't beaten the game but I can answer questions to the best of my ability. Feel free to have general discussions too.

2Otogi: Myth of Demons Empty Re: Otogi: Myth of Demons Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:31 pm

Nadster

A-Rank
Veteran

When you start, you will be greeted with dialog of the story and a cutscene. Then you'll be treated with the opening level. After that will be another cutscene. Finally, you will be taken to the main menu.

First is Stage: It has Start and Creatures along with an announcer. Start is simple enough and Creatures will show you the demons you will run into with pictures and descriptions of them. There is also a Slain meter.

Equip is a menu where you will select any Weapon, Magic, and Accessory once you have it.

Shop is where the Princess is. You can buy and sell Weapons, Magic, and Accessories. You can also repair your weapons as well.

Cleared Stages is a menu where you can replay the levels you have beaten.

Options is where you can Save, Load, change the way you want use your controller with Type A to C, Return to the Title Screen, and finally go the Settings Menu. It is listed as Configuration. There is Vibration, Captions(also known as Subtitles), Switch Voice which only has English and Japanese, BGM Volume, Voice Volume, SE Volume, and Brightness.

3Otogi: Myth of Demons Empty Re: Otogi: Myth of Demons Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:41 pm

Nadster

A-Rank
Veteran

Not to mention that there is two kinds of time in the game. One is the usual how long you have been in this level and the other is where you have two life bars in a sense. The purple magic and the green health. When you take damage one of the green orbs will decrease, but as long as the magic is still there, it will recover in time.

Unfortunately the magic decreases over time. If you do not fill it back up, then the color green goes to red and you will slowly die.

4Otogi: Myth of Demons Empty Re: Otogi: Myth of Demons Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:33 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Veteran
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic

I used to play this a lot but I can't remember exactly how the combat works.

At first glance it seems similar to Shinobi, where you dash to other enemies and you can chain dashes in the air. Don't remember what the limit is. I remember the health drain thing but not the exact mechanics.

For some reason I clearly remember the destruction mechanics, probably because it's something you never see in action games. Pretty much everything in the game can be smashed to pieces. There's even a rank requirement for it.

And when you smash something, the pieces go flying in the direction of your hit and can destroy other objects or hurt enemies. I've smashed a pillar and had the pieces destroyed like 3 more in a row. Stuff like that. Pretty unique mechanic.

I wonder how much stress that was on the console? But OG Xbox was more powerful than PS2 wasn't it?

Last edited by Birdman on Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

5Otogi: Myth of Demons Empty Re: Otogi: Myth of Demons Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:18 am

Nadster

A-Rank
Veteran

Yeah the OG Xbox was more powerful. It made third-party games play better like the original Max Payne. Anyway, I played the game again and it wasn't making any unusual noises.

6Otogi: Myth of Demons Empty Re: Otogi: Myth of Demons Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:09 am

GN1

B-Rank

I've recently got an OG Xbox and I can't wait to finally try both Otogis.

Even after looking hard I could barely find people talking about them, anyone here has played or beat them and has some thoughts to share?

7Otogi: Myth of Demons Empty Re: Otogi: Myth of Demons Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:31 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Recently bought an original Xbox as well! I haven't managed to track down copies of the Otogis but I'm still working on it. How are you liking the machine so far?

https://stinger.actieforum.com

8Otogi: Myth of Demons Empty Re: Otogi: Myth of Demons Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:38 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor

Otogi is a weird game. Every time I start playing it I quit soon after.

It's very floaty. The dash kind of annoys me because the guy vanishes then reappears at the end of it.

Barely remember much else. I got up to this giant flying centipede boss in the first game but couldn't figure out how to beat it.

9Otogi: Myth of Demons Empty Re: Otogi: Myth of Demons Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:04 pm

GN1

B-Rank

I see, the aerial combat style is why I'm so interested in playing this, can only hope that the rest of the game is also well designed, I will make sure to share my thoughts here once I progress.

Raeng - Yeah they are expensive and rather harder to track, unless you sail the black seas... unfortunate that this is the case for many old classics which aren't available anymore, though I did buy copies of them for decent prices.

10Otogi: Myth of Demons Empty Re: Otogi: Myth of Demons Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:42 am

GN1

B-Rank

I've played it a little, and also tried Otogi 2.

I will start with 2 - it has 6 different characters, and on a first glance they do seem to somewhat differ in their playstyles. I've barely played it though, so I'd rather not elaborate or mislead.

It's one of the very best looking OG Xbox from a technical side, but it comes with the price of having major and frequent slowdown, especially when particles are on screen. It's too much for me to handle... Microsoft, please! Please resume the BC program already!

Otogi 1 - It can also have major slowdown sometimes, but it seems to recover faster and happen less frequently so I might be able to tolerate it.

For both games - I've read online how cool the destruction is, but what I haven't seen anyone mentioning besides Birdman here, is how it actually plays into the combat - it's heavily focused around collision damage.

Attacking enemies and slamming them against each other or against walls will kill them much faster, especially if pieces of buildings will break on them, and even breaking small objects can deal minor damage to enemies, while also causing them to stagger for a bit I think.

However, the same applies to you - while normal attacks don't deal lots of damage, being slammed against a wall for instance deals tons of damage so you've got to be careful as well.

Overall, impressions are very positive, with slowdown being the biggest offender. I would want to see FromSoft revisit it and apply things from the best action games - multiple difficulties with new enemies and increased AI agression, mission mode etc...

11Otogi: Myth of Demons Empty Re: Otogi: Myth of Demons Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:53 am

vert1

vert1
C-Rank

I wasn't impressed with this game when I played it at stores, but yeah since you guys are talking about not having beaten the game -- I read recently how the final boss in this game is extraordinarily difficult, so that sounds like a big 'completion' accomplishment for the genre (maybe to put on a top 10 hardest boss fight list or something).

12Otogi: Myth of Demons Empty Re: Otogi: Myth of Demons Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:02 am

GN1

B-Rank

The framerate, especially in 2, can drop a lot and I just can't cope with it, really hoping for them to become back compat on Xbox. If you can tolerate pretty persistent slowdown than go for it.

13Otogi: Myth of Demons Empty Re: Otogi: Myth of Demons Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:27 pm

nepu47

nepu47
C-Rank

I played Otogi 2 a bit, and My impression was this : "Armored core spin-off disguising as an ARPG", but as a compliment. Characters uses sword and magic, but they moves like a mech(at least to me). And the accessories are more simpler version of customizing "gears". Magic is basically shoulder weapons. Also, I like all 6 characters having a distinctive function/skill, so picking them is a part of fun.

https://www.backloggd.com/u/nepu47/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum