You are not connected. Please login or register

Looking for Beat 'm Up recommendations

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Looking for Beat 'm Up recommendations Empty Looking for Beat 'm Up recommendations Sat May 26, 2018 10:56 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Was one of the original users
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I've been wanting to dive into some Beat 'm Ups lately, any recommendations? Consoles I have:

Switch
PS4 
WiiU
Wii (rather not)
PS2
Xbox360
SNES (rather not)
N64 (rather not)
PS3

Any cool suggestions :)?

https://stinger.actieforum.com

2Looking for Beat 'm Up recommendations Empty Re: Looking for Beat 'm Up recommendations Sat May 26, 2018 11:07 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor

So strictly no weapons right? I'm a little confused about the definition after that topic we had on it.

I'll list what I know but there aren't many. You've probably heard of or already played these.

Beatdown: Fist of Vengeance
Knack 2 (he mostly uses his fists and feet so I guess it counts?)
Final Fight Streetwise
Urban Reign
Spikeout: Battle Street
The Bouncer

Knack 2 is the only good one on that list, and Final Fight is the only one I put time into.

3Looking for Beat 'm Up recommendations Empty Re: Looking for Beat 'm Up recommendations Sat May 26, 2018 11:48 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Sorry shouldve been more clear. Meant stuff like sidescroller beat m ups. Things like old treasure games or Tmnt turtles in time. Stuff like that

4Looking for Beat 'm Up recommendations Empty Re: Looking for Beat 'm Up recommendations Sat May 26, 2018 12:08 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

I barely touched those.

I had Streets of Rage when I was a kid, and I remember an Alien Vs Predator game that was cool.

5Looking for Beat 'm Up recommendations Empty Re: Looking for Beat 'm Up recommendations Sat May 26, 2018 12:17 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_atSD0GkhTU

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Just ended up buying Sengoku 3 on the Switch, an old NeoGeo game. Tons of fun!

7Looking for Beat 'm Up recommendations Empty Re: Looking for Beat 'm Up recommendations Sun May 27, 2018 11:51 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Guardian Heroes? I used to play this as a kid on Sega Saturn and remember loving it. It had these chaotic battles and I remember having barrels of fun playing coop with my brothers.

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Like these? Kinda wish I got into games like this more.

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Jup, those kinds. As noted, I bought Sengoku 3:

So far it is a ton of fun, but hard as nails. You can really see it was made to eat coins since some of the bosses are just a nightmare.

10Looking for Beat 'm Up recommendations Empty Re: Looking for Beat 'm Up recommendations Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:18 am

Nadster

A-Rank
Veteran

sidescroller beat em ups Well for PS2: There is the Capcom Classics Collection 1 and Capcom Classics Collection 2. I recommend getting the second one first for that. Also as far as I know, it was only released in North America. As for the Wii U: There is this game that features two stories and it is known as Dungeons and Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara. There is no physical copy though.

11Looking for Beat 'm Up recommendations Empty Re: Looking for Beat 'm Up recommendations Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:25 pm

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
A-Rank
God of War
Expert on all things God of War

My experience is limited beyond Streets of Rage 2 (and misc. crape on a MAME). Seems a little birdy has you covered, anyway.

12Looking for Beat 'm Up recommendations Empty Re: Looking for Beat 'm Up recommendations Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:46 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

This looks great. Anyone played it?

Also:
Fight’N Rage also includes unlockable content such as costumes, extra difficulty settings, more gameplay speeds, new game modes, and more than 20 extra characters

13Looking for Beat 'm Up recommendations Empty Re: Looking for Beat 'm Up recommendations Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:41 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Heard a lot about it but have not played it yet. Iconoclast, a Ninja Gaiden II vet, played this game going for the 1cc challenge. You can find the video here.

This is what he has to say on it:

(Yes, this game is really long.) My first 1CC of Unfair difficulty in Fight'N Rage, a really good indie beat 'em up. This was actually my first time getting past stage 2 or 3 on this difficulty. I never practiced any of the later stages, so don't expect to see expert level play.

Things go pretty poorly at several points, but it all works out in the end. Thankfully you get an extra life for every 50,000 points, which is why it's important to try and "crush" as many enemies as you can (i.e., continue to combo them after they're dead for an extra 500 points - it adds up) The escalation is pretty gradual between each difficulty level, so you'll pretty much know what to expect even if it's your first time playing a higher difficulty.

Unfair changes a few enemy properties though, which caught me off guard a few times. In lower difficulties, you can stand next to most enemies, and several of the midbosses, after knocking them down and attack them again as soon as they get up. In Unfair, all of the midbosses either have invincible attacks on wakeup or an invinicible backdash if you get too close, and even a few of the basic fodder enemies get those buffs. You'll have to adjust your strategy to deal with it. This is currently $4 on Steam (80% off), so if you're a fan of this genre, I definitely recommend buying it. The sale ends on September 23rd, so don't wait too long.

14Looking for Beat 'm Up recommendations Empty Re: Looking for Beat 'm Up recommendations Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:00 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Looks super fun. Might grab it.

15Looking for Beat 'm Up recommendations Empty Re: Looking for Beat 'm Up recommendations Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:58 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Bought it. Played a few stages and it's pretty fun.

16Looking for Beat 'm Up recommendations Empty Re: Looking for Beat 'm Up recommendations Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:52 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Unlocked training mode so will mess around with the mechanics when I have time.

Reading up, this game has tons of settings and unlockables.

Screen options like scan lines and CRT, difficulties, costumes (though these seem to largely be color changes) modes like survivor and vs, training where you can choose which enemy to fight, you can unlock most of the enemies as playable but I don't know if you can use them in arcade mode.

One thing I don't like is the character art in character selection. Looks absolutely awful and extremely low quality.

17Looking for Beat 'm Up recommendations Empty daddy mulk Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:43 am

Warp

Roy, did you play the original The Ninja Warriors with ACA?
I would like to know if it's just basic and the sequels improved it or if it's fun on its own.

18Looking for Beat 'm Up recommendations Empty Re: Looking for Beat 'm Up recommendations Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:13 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I played the originals years ago. It's still a fantastic game, but I'd be lying if I didn't put the remake over it. It just adds so many little details. If you have the cash to spare it's a fun diversion for sure. Different enough, also mechanically, to be worth a look. Plays way more like classic Shinobi imo.

The SNES game is more in line with the remake.

19Looking for Beat 'm Up recommendations Empty Re: Looking for Beat 'm Up recommendations Sat May 09, 2020 6:34 am

RollingSkull

D-Rank

Fight n Rage is damn near best in genre, but it does run a little long for how intense it is. A truly excellent game.

Double Dragon Advance is one of my favorite classics.

Sengoku 3 comes highly regarded.

If you can get over the mocap, Streets of Fury EX is an incredibly technical and fun brawler https://store.steampowered.com/app/350910/Streets_of_Fury_EX/ The guys who made this, with only this game in their resume, were tapped to make Streets of Rage 4. The game plays like the sequel to Guardian Heroes we never got.

For classic Streets of Rage, I really think there's no reason to play anything but Streets of Rage Remake at this point. Only the most pure of the purists would find fault in SoRR.

Dynamite Deka/Dynamite Cop/Die Hard Arcade got a real nice Sega Classics remake on PS2 which emulates really well. Certainly not a great beat-em-up but a delightfully fun and dumb one.

The D&D Mystara bundle is definitely a good grab. Capcom Classics is more of a nostalgia grab though.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/269230/Aces_Wild_Manic_Brawling_Action/ Aces Wild plays a bit like if Treasure made God Hand in an absolutely stupid and over the top manner.

If you want to get down to the fun and good but not great tier, https://store.steampowered.com/app/587180/Wulverblade/ Wulverblade is a nice historical themed classic style beat-em-up while Shank 2 is a cross-breed beat-em-up with some platforming, weapon switching stylish action. Shank 1 is good too but 2 is a better product for gameplay.

20Looking for Beat 'm Up recommendations Empty Re: Looking for Beat 'm Up recommendations Sat May 09, 2020 8:08 am

Nadster

A-Rank
Veteran

Hi RollingSkull! Welcome to Stinger! If possible here is the intro thread to talk about yourself! :)

https://stinger.actieforum.com/t6p200-welcome-new-members-introduction-topic

On topic, I have noticed that the PS4 has a Beat Em Up on sale. Mother Russia Bleeds. Haven't watched a lot but it seems pretty neat.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum