Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Was one of the original users
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Really cannot state just how much I'm slowly falling in love with this title, so decided to give it is own topic as I know some users here have hounded me for a while that I should give it another shot. It really deserved it, that's for damn sure.

What makes it stand out for me is how it really offers that which all titles of its ilk should, namely some good risk reward systems, randomization and branching paths. Some notes of things I really enjoy:

- the dodge being linked to the shoot button, making it a big risk if you miss time it, as you waste a bullet (and leave yourself open). The dodge really opens up exploration and combat, giving you another way to circumvent encounters at a huge risk since the timing is so strict.
- the ammo crafting. With only 3 powders they managed to make a system that's so much more deep than that in RE2make. You have 3 powders, A, B and C. Use just A and you get some bullets, but mix three A's together and you get more. But by using powder to make bullets, you level up your stat with that powder, level up enough and you can make stronger ammo-types. It's a nice double edged sword. Do you aim to make better ammo later-on, but make less early on (since you cannot combine them for larger rewards), or do you aim for big numbers?
- Nemesis really is a great system, as killing him gives you new weapons and items. It really makes him part of your 'route' and each encounter thrilling. You might barely have enough resources to kill him, do you take that chance? Or do you skip it for now and hope you can nail him later-on for the reward? Adds a fantastic fight-or-flight to his encounters that Mister X was sorely missing in RE2make;
- the randomization, some items are randomized and will appear in one of few locations, meaning you're never really sure how much ammo you'll get. Sadly this is tied to you loading the game, not to the 'game' you are playing;
- love the branching paths, already had a new Nemesis encounter I never saw before because I purposly avoided the Restaurant, knowing from my previous run that Nemesis would appear there.

All in all, freak'n love it. Going to play it again right now!

https://stinger.actieforum.com

2Resident Evil 3 Empty you want stars? Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:39 am

"How a modern game made me appreciative of a formerly undervalued title."
Sweet. Didn't you call it an add-on before? It's semi-true, production time was short.

I agree. I made a no-save-play early this year, and had some fun.
To me the gun powder system makes sense. I can produce the ammo I need for the weapon I want to use. No more gathering types of ones I don't wanna use, yet I have to since my faves are running out. Blocking more item slots.
The gripe I have is, that you're spoiled with firearms. Sure you can ignore some. It just feels urged. You enter a new section. Guess what's waiting for you? Right on the table or in the closet. Winking at you with a shiny glint. Whispering. Pick me up, buddy. I know you wanna. I'll be your new best friend. Let's make everybody's day.

3Resident Evil 3 Empty Re: Resident Evil 3 Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:44 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

It is really a game I backpeddled on, at least opinion-wise. When I first played it I was high in my RE-spamming sessions, playing all the games, and I rushed through expecting it to work like RE2 and CVX. I didn't play to the game's strengths.

> spoiled with firearms
You're fancy writing style temporarily fails you here sadly. What do you mean, that weapons are too easily found?

4Resident Evil 3 Empty all the foxy ladies love the accent Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:58 pm

Right. It always felt to me that there's no stretch of progression where you are out of fire power. I get it, it's for those situations when you elect to fight your stalker. You start with the handgun. Few loading times in there's the pump-action. Shortly after in the RCPD it's either the launcher or the mag. The power station offers the one you didn't get. Powerful armory. Ready for anything. I'm not against it, just a quick succession to my mind, is all.

5Resident Evil 3 Empty Re: Resident Evil 3 Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:48 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Fair enough, the spacing of weapons was pretty close to each other and they weren't those epic finds. I still remember getting the shotgun in the original as well as the Flamethrower next to the body of Forest. Same goes for RE4's findable weapons.

I was a bit dismayed by the pleathora of guns and systems surrounding them though. You've got a pistol, an upgraded pistol, regular ammo, special ammo. That's already 4 versions of just one weapon. I do wish weapons had viewable damage-values like in RE4. It can be a bit unclear at times what option works good on what.

Fantastic game though. Also like how certain back-track options are there for huge rewards. Like the Grenade Launcher Ammo stash.

6Resident Evil 3 Empty Re: Resident Evil 3 Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:50 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak
Expert on The Evil Within

Amazing game, truly a classic. One of my favorites in the series in terms of pure replayability. Still holds up really well graphically too imo.

7Resident Evil 3 Empty Re: Resident Evil 3 Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:58 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Yeah I was surprised by how well it holds up despite its age. I wonder, is there anything you can do with the guy in the container at the start? I recall he will die at some point, but never got it to trigger. I did encounter a running girl once, only to find her dead later. Any ideas on that?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum