13 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Wanted: Dead Empty Wanted: Dead Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:16 am

Gouf

Gouf
D-Rank
Veteran
Was one of the original users

5:00 to 15:50 – 110 Industries: The feature presentation of new AAA products currently in development under the 110 Industries umbrella. – The show will open with a speech made by the veterans of the industry, highlighting the innovation in game development. We will premiere a gameplay teaser for Wanted: Dead, a third-person shooter / slasher game currently in development by the Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive team. It will focus on the making of the game hosted by the studio management and the lead actress. It will also feature an interview with Dasha Rush, a larger-than-life EDM artist from Germany that is composing some of the musical pieces for the game. The closing part of it is the in-game live-action cooking show episode from the game. The stream will continue with a short segment by Maserati, an Italian automotive brand, and a live-action teaser for Red Goes Faster, a racing game currently in development. The presentation will end with a CGI teaser of Vengeance is Mine, a new AAA action / RPG currently in development.

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/09/tgs-2021-online-official-live-stream-schedule-announced

Haven't heard anyone talking about this since it was subtly announced during the TGS 2021 schedule drop. Third-person shooter / slasher by the Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive team that's going to be shown off on October 3rd.

Can only imagine that it's another game from Soleil rather than Itagaki's new studio. The genre makes it sound an awful lot like Devil's Third too. The actual presentation sounds a little nutty, but I'm honestly getting a little excited. Cautiously excited. But excited nonetheless.

This article on the company backing the project is pretty interesting. Supposedly planned to release in 2022. Rumored to have been in development by Remedy at some point in the past with Vanquish, Uncharted 4, and The Last of Us being cited as key benchmarks for the project.

Concept Leak:

Regardless, however it turns out, it should be interesting.

2Wanted: Dead Empty Re: Wanted: Dead Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:43 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Saw the information on Twitter where it was shared to me, or was that you? (you have a different name here)

I'm trying not to keep my hopes up, but this could be fantastic, here's hoping! Would be great for Soleil to spread their wings a bit more.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

3Wanted: Dead Empty Re: Wanted: Dead Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:32 am

Gouf

Gouf
D-Rank
Veteran

Couldn't have been me. Usually stick to this username.

Totally get wanting to temper your own expectations though. Feels like these type of things can go either way these days haha.

4Wanted: Dead Empty Re: Wanted: Dead Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:25 pm

AeternalSolitude

AeternalSolitude
C-Rank

Most have probably already seen this, but the trailer wasn't posted here yet so I figured I might as well.

5Wanted: Dead Empty Re: Wanted: Dead Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:22 am

RedShot

B-Rank

It could be a more refined Devil's Third and I like that game.

6Wanted: Dead Empty Re: Wanted: Dead Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:33 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Yeah it really looks like Devil's Third but, finished. Liking the fluidity. Hope it'll have more enemy variety than DT did, which was one of its biggest shortcomings.

7Wanted: Dead Empty Re: Wanted: Dead Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:26 am

Black Adam

Black Adam
C-Rank

Behold: the new “Godhand is a 3/10”.

IGN review from Mitchell Saltzman gave it a 4/10. Says his fave game is NG:B. Review record: Bayo 3 (9/10), W101 (9), DMC5 (9.5), Elden Ring (10). Seems to be the resident action/fighter/weeb reviewer at IGN since 2017[1]. Decide if you want if he’s a mechanically blind fool. The only IGN reviewer I like is the Aussie that does racing games.

-nonsense story
-bad voice acting [2]
-poor difficulty curve
-crashes (PS5) [3]
-confused tone [4]

Calls the combat one-note and sluggish, poorly balanced between ranged & melee. Mentions Suda51. Was hoping for the next Lollipop Chainsaw or Killer is Dead, or NG (no mention of Devil’s Third).

Detailed breakdown:

+animation
+gore
+parry
+great for 1st hour
+challenging
+mission 3 starts with you steel on boning a bunch of weak enemies
+chainsaw level (he likes gimmick fights that break up the monotony)

-doesn’t evolve over 8 hour campaign
-poor late game skills (+atk/def/vit) practically required
-some skills should’ve been unlocked earlier (dashing/execute limbless enemy/block multiple strikes/perfect parry counter) [5]
-skills don’t affect approach to combat [6]
-no air combos [7]
-no specials besides dash & “useless” charge attack
-no melee weapons beside sword
-poor enemy variety (gun/sword/shield/ninja/heavies)
-poor ai
-combat takes turns: attack, attack, parry, attack…
-checkpoints (sometimes 10-15 mins between, w/ miniboss at end)
-no reason to use any other combo [8]
-character feels weak to play as
-bullet sponge enemies [9]
-can’t cook grenades, enemies dodge them
-can’t block bullets
-dies in just a few hits

Oh and this is a pet peeve of mine, but they went for a stylish font for the subtitles over something readable, defeating their purpose.

Overall, it’s hard to tell whether it’s good or not. Is it a 4/10? I doubt it. Is there hidden depth? Probably. Should I actually buy it, when Hi-Fi Rush is half the price? Is this the game I want to invest hours in? And am I only doing that because it’s less crowded than games people actually like? I’ll leave it for someone else to review.

Footontes

1. Calls Wanted: Dead a “soulless throwback to the many mediocre action games of mid-late 00s.” Make me question if he really likes stylish action, or just defines himself in opposition to the JRPG fan, FPS fan, etc.

2. Considering one of the trailers makes fun of the MC’s heavy Swiss accent and that they often don’t know what she’s saying, I think they know. Then again, the face model/VA of the MC is a Swiss model doing her first gig, so it might not even be so bad it’s good.

3. Can only imagine how bad it is on PC, but I haven’t heard too many complaints about the performance, except people pre-ordering getting the “wrong version” on Steam that crashes after a few minutes, requiring a refund & repurchase.

4. “it’s bizarre, but the kind that makes me tilt my head than laugh at the absurdity.”

It’s hard to parse this. Is he a normie who’s weirded out by its quirkiness and Yakuza-like mingames? The type of guy who thinks Chainsaw Man’s the craziest anime he’s seen, when it’s pretty straightforward. Would his mind melt at the surrealism of Monogatari? Or is the game super-tryhard, and people only went along with it to seem cool?

GamingBolt gave it 8/10, and they liked its quirkiness. It comes down to “are you in on the joke”? GB is, IGN isn’t. But is the joke on them? While Hi-Fi Rush referenced Twin Peaks, this referenced a meme. If it’s all internet “lolRandom” design by committee humor that killed Borderlands, maybe GB went along to not seem out of touch?

5. Presumably not a problem after NG+.

6. So instead of improving your character through a skill tree, you improve using that thing between your ears? Sounds like the game he really wanted to play was Metal Gear Rising. I do enjoy games with a limited moveset, where you make the most of it (and it’s designed around that, not a NUR). I like those 2D action games.

Then again, having to unlock their version of the obliteration technique when NG2 gives it to you at the start seems like they felt the need to hack and slash the skill tree, since they didn’t have enough skills to put on there. My ideal game would have you learn with the skills you’ve got, but gamers need a sense of progression.

7. Presumably no launch too.

8. Mayo would be proud.

9. GamingBolt mentions relatively low supply of ammo. Melee preferred over SMG, shotgun, grenade launcher, etc.

Obligatory 1000 word essay

A little about the publisher: 110 Industries was founded in 2017 by Anton Poletaev and Sergey Kolobashkin from a $20m investment from Roman Abramovich and two others. They started in the UK, but moved to Switzerland. They’re “idea guys” – they come up with concepts, then find studios to make the game. The first was Remedy (Max Payne, Alan Wake, Control), but that fell through. Then they went with Soleil Studio (Valkyrie Elysium, Shinobi Striker, Samurai Jack: Battle Through Time). The budget was 17.25m, targeting 3m copies, and Vanquish was an inspiration, as well as Uncharted 4 and TLOU.

Everyone has ideas for a movie or game, before they’re crushed by the reality of actually having to script or plan something. The game may be brilliant, or it may be a set of disjointed ideas from guys who didn’t have to work their way up the gaming ladder or learn along the way. We shoot the shit all the time here, like my DMC by day, Ninja Gaiden by night enemy design, but I wouldn’t expect a few cool concepts or ideas to make an entire game. So Wanted Dead might genuinely be bad. Having cutscenes in live action/anime/in-game engine sound like brainstorming they just went with.

Still, I think we can learn some valuable lessons from this release. “The Anatomy of a 4”.

So, you have $20m to make a game. You want a 7/10 (aka, “the leave me alone, I’m busy” score) or higher. You want to maximise returns using reviewers to confirm the biases of your customers. It goes back to my “button mashing” thread. Meanwhile, your frustrated writer stuck reviewing video games just wants to bang out another one and go back to playing NG:B.

$20m’s only enough to get a janky PS3/early PS4-looking game. You need $100m to get the AAA game that reviewers would rather crap themselves than criticise. The type they’d collude with you, and use footage you gave them for their reviews, hiding that it’s a buggy piece of shit, because they’re terrified to inform their audience that a mega-hyped game isn’t a 9/10 or higher.

First, research who’s most likely going to review your game. If it’s a racing game, it’s going to be Luke Reilly from IGN. Your reviewer wants to finish your game as quick as possible. But making a short game will get points docked. Help them help you. Give them generous checkpoints. Employ lots of magic pixels so they don’t get one-tapped by enemies.

Like GoW:R, it should be frictionless, moving from enemy encounter to story segment to enemy encounter. Make tons of useless skills. They’ll complain about it, but they won’t say the combat never changes. Or limit the XP they get so they don’t unlock everything. They’re only going to play it once anyway, so if they have enough XP to unlock the good skills, the junk ones can stay hidden.

Switch up the levels. Add some gimmick encounters. Take an enemy with a complex moveset, and split it into 5 enemies with 1 move. This will only be discovered in a video essay 10 years from now. Throw in a gimmick “hard” enemy like Blitz or Fury to distract them. They’ll forget about your enemy variety and hyperfocus on the one guy that made them fight at their pace, not the players.

If your playtesters keeps dying, give them more ammo, or make the enemies ever so slightly weaker every restart Make it subtle, like they got better, but only for the 1st playthrough. First impressions are paramount, but if it becomes a cult classic, your real audience will criticise your design if it affects high-level play.

Make sure headshots are 1-2 hit kills. This is on normal. Start tuning the real difficulty from hard onwards. Story’s hit or miss. Depends if your reviewer judges it against cinematic walkie-talkie dad sims, or sees it as ironically bad. But they know it’s subjective, so either way, it shouldn’t stop you getting a 7. Make sure you have an explosive opening and finale. The middle doesn’t matter.

A same-day launch review usually denotes a lack of confidence in the product, so you should launch all reviews, regardless of confidence, on launch day. That throws off customers. Make it a pattern. Give reviewers just enough time to play and move on, a week or so.

Congrats, your reviewer has no strong feelings for your game, so they gave it a 7. A 6 would be too cruel, and 8+ is reserved for games that stop them feeling dead inside. Games they play for pleasure rather than obligation, and remind them of their dreams of being authors, journalists and screenwriters, before giving up and settling on video game reviewers.

8Wanted: Dead Empty Re: Wanted: Dead Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:01 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak
Expert on The Evil Within

IGN is definitely a clown car, but I also don’t think this game looks good. The melee seems simple and stiff, and the shooting seems like little more than “point and shoot until it dies” because hit reactions are barely there. The focus on parries isn’t exciting either.

I know everyone wants a new NG but the days of hoping for that are over. Most action games now are parryfests/Simon Says simulators.

Another thing: the encounters in this seem really bad. Just hordes of the same enemy standing around you, go to the next room to do the same, with very little environmental interaction. It’s why I can’t play NG3 for long.

9Wanted: Dead Empty Re: Wanted: Dead Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:49 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Put in a few hours and it ended up with me talking to Microsoft if I could get my money back, sadly I couldn't. This isn't a good game, it has the potential to be and there is fun to be had but it is such a technical 'marvel' I just can't commit to it.

The game crashes like wildfire, yesterday alone in a short 1 hour session I had 3 crashes. This, paired with the lengthy fights before checkpoints, is a disaster. It also runs terrible, chugs in the weirdest places, is extremely dark and filled with weird bugs. Sometimes changing the brightness does nothing, the other times it lowers the sound. I'm currently enjoying a permanent bug where the sound is gone, always, even upon restarts. The funniest one is that cutscenes can be paused, but doing so doesn't pause the audio...

That all aside, the combat is servicable:

You basically have a single string that you can cancel with pistol shots, the pistol is like a shuriken that also deals damage and can 'counter' enemy's "red attacks" (sort of unblockable power moves). It's honestly really fun hacking away at enemies and then cancel the attack into a pistol shot to another guy and keeping up pressure.

Delimbs are back too, to a degree. You can gut off either arms or legs, or an OHKO. If you remove arms nothing really changes (enemies just go one-handed with their guns). If you cut off their legs it's honestly quite fun, as they'll drop a grenade after a few seconds to suicide, which you can abuse for friendly fire.

The downside is....that's it. There's no other weapons. There's only 1 enemy type (goon with gun/melee weapon), you have a typical shotgun/smg/GL for ranged which you have to pick up from enemies.

There are a few bosses and minibosses like ninjas and the big lumbering guy from DT, while bosses are...weird. There's also no real utility moves. You have a dash kick which sort of knocks enemies down, but it's weird, rarely works and sometimes they get up immediately. Fights are also against literal hordes of foes which is neat at first but once you realize you have to do 3-4 fights per checkpoint with sometimes 30+ enemies that can all kill you in about 1-3 hits and you have to do it all over again if you die...yeah.

The minigames and pandering between missions is terrible too and feels very out of place, all the budget that went there should've gone to the combat.

I might still finish it, but honestly...don't bother.

10Wanted: Dead Empty Re: Wanted: Dead Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:21 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor

I could tell just from videos that this game was bad.

You suffered so we don't have to. Thank you for your service.

11Wanted: Dead Empty Re: Wanted: Dead Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:39 am

SultanHayabusa

D-Rank

Birdman wrote:I could tell just from videos that this game was bad.

You suffered so we don't have to. Thank you for your service.
Savage lmao

The game has reaeeeaallly stiff melee animations and clunky combat. I played around 3 hours and it isn't gripping me. I'll probably drop this to a later date. We got Yakuza Ishin, Hi-Fi rush and Wo Long to play this year lol why the fuck would I waste my time on this b-tier shit.

12Wanted: Dead Empty Re: Wanted: Dead Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:14 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I managed to randomly fix my audio issues by putting all the audio to 0, which upped the volume somehow (god why). Almost beat stage-3, people say it gets worse after that stage so I'm still a bit morbidly curious.

13Wanted: Dead Empty Re: Wanted: Dead Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:21 pm

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
A-Rank

Shame to hear this isn't impressing anyone. After Samurai Jack, I thought Soleil could still make decent action titles, but I really can't see them making anything that will end up being a success. Probably one I'll try when it's a bargain-bin price.

14Wanted: Dead Empty Re: Wanted: Dead Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:43 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I have shifted my opinion on this title a tad. There is...something in there, but you have to really play through a shoddy title to see that unique take on combat, and even then it is rare that you really find the fun. It's really hard to put into words but there is a type of purity in the combat that I find lacking in other releases that is present here, even in something as fantastic as Sifu.

It's the idea of 'everything works', you have a lot of tools, but there's no clearly intended way on how to deal with attacks, moves, enemies or whatever. You want to run away and shoot a ninja from afar? Sure, go ahead. You want to melee this gun-boss? Weird but okay go ahead. There's no restrictions in place.

Apparently they just announced that they are working on a patch to fix a lot of the technical issues, which is already quite a boon.

15Wanted: Dead Empty Re: Wanted: Dead Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:57 am

Black Adam

Black Adam
C-Rank

I was this close to apologizing to IGN, and I did go off on a bit of a tangent (for the last time), but it seems there is some hidden complexity after all. Would you say a 4/10 is unwarranted? $4.10 maybe.

16Wanted: Dead Empty Re: Wanted: Dead Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:01 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Nawh I'd say a 4/10 or 5/10 is pretty on the mark depending on how you view rating systems. For me it's a "title with potential, but with too many issues that can be fixed through patches". This game legit needs an entire extra year in the oven or a "WantedDead: Razor's Edge" re-release to be somewhat decent.

The lack of enemy complexity and your own kit means that it fully relies on your flexibility in combat to be interesting, which won't carry it for long. I had fun with it, but you really have to be super open minded, patient and understanding to sit through this game 3+ times.

17Wanted: Dead Empty Re: Wanted: Dead Fri May 26, 2023 4:56 pm

Paul Allen's Profile

Paul Allen's Profile
C-Rank

Enjoying this one. Pretty fun cross between shooter and melee combat with arcade feel to it. Karaoke and Ramen mini-games are no joke. I haven't found any use for different katana combo that you do with pistol so far. I will also probably put all guns mods into dmg, as stopping power doesn't seem all that useful when katana slashes already stunts enemies.

18Wanted: Dead Empty Re: Wanted: Dead Fri May 26, 2023 11:26 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> pistol combo
It has some nice stagger and can loop some enemies. But the general idea (not execution) is that you can slice one enemy and pistol the other, locking two mooks down.

19Wanted: Dead Empty Re: Wanted: Dead Sat May 27, 2023 6:33 pm

Paul Allen's Profile

Paul Allen's Profile
C-Rank

> general idea (not execution)
Indeed, pretty unreliable form of crowd control and add to that, you can easily do from it (by mistake) melee combo C, which can't be guard-cancelled (only dodge-cancelled).

>Notes:
So, Stone does mcB from dodge roll and can also do mcC by using pistol.

I hoped that kick in mcB is guard-break, but it's not.

Charge attack can be buffered almost at any point in combo, but it's unsafe - long recovery, uncancellable.

Stones combos are pretty delayable and different combos can be done at any point by using pistol, so button sequence isn't strict.

And pretty much that's it. Not much else, It's really simple game. It's mostly about making best use of said things. Wish that Stone had more utillity in her moveset that would make her simple combos more interesting. It would make her fighting style more about utilizing unique attacks in her combos, like using kick or preemptively doing one combo for hiting enemy with heavy finisher. Atm, mcA, mcB and mcC do the same thing.

Skill tree is terrible. Dodge roll and Dive kick should have been Stone's base moveset, it only already strips her of little interesting move that she has. And there are too many skills that are just stats upgrades. It's also lame that the game just opens up skill tree on its own and force you to invest into first skill (it doesn't let you close it).

20Wanted: Dead Empty Re: Wanted: Dead Sat May 27, 2023 6:52 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> Charge attack
Uncharged slashes generate a lot of meter, making it pretty good to spam.

> skill tree
Game is so much better without it.

21Wanted: Dead Empty Re: Wanted: Dead Sun May 28, 2023 6:48 pm

Paul Allen's Profile

Paul Allen's Profile
C-Rank

>Charge attacks
I've been sleeping on them. Meter bulid up is great and good on the big guys too after you get opening on them.

>NUR
In the plans.

I've realised that incendiaries work as stun/area of denial tool.

22Wanted: Dead Empty Re: Wanted: Dead Mon May 29, 2023 1:29 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> NUR
Wouldn't recommend it, meant more that playing NG+ or at least upgrading fast makes the game a lot more fun.

> meter build
It's essential in the late game on the highest setting where enemies are a bit more tanky and fights have so many waves to begin with. Helps with the double-ninja fight too.

23Wanted: Dead Empty Re: Wanted: Dead Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:12 pm

Paul Allen's Profile

Paul Allen's Profile
C-Rank

I've found that you can weaponize enemies with severed legs to blow up other enemies - sometimes it even results in chain reaction. Enemies with severed arms also seem to have decreased agression.

I also toyed a bit with skill tree and ended up beating August with no guard strenght increase, no armor reinforced and no severed leg finisher:

It was pretty fun. It forced me to play differently - I couldn't rely that much on parrying and had to make best use of suicide bombers.

Why people hate this game so much? I'm really enjoying it.

24Wanted: Dead Empty Re: Wanted: Dead Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:45 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> why the hate
It's blatantly unfinished imo, if you watch old footage from 2-3 years ago it's exactly the same. They only added in minigames. The game is also extremely unstable on the Xbox, where I played it (lots of crashes/gamebreaking bugs). Once it clicks it's fun though for sure.

> suicide bombers
Probably the most fun part, also shows that they still know a little bit of fun and how to elevate an old mechanic.

25Wanted: Dead Empty Re: Wanted: Dead Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:31 pm

Paul Allen's Profile

Paul Allen's Profile
C-Rank

>unfinished
Yeah, definitely could be more polished, especially when it comes to technical issues (I didn't have that much problem on pc, but I never played it on consoles).

It's a dilemma for sure. It's definitely hard to ignore game being unfinished - especially when it has technichal issues, but at the same time it feels unfair to dismiss it when there is fun game beneath it. I Iook at it more as a victim of business practices and it's not an exception - standards for games' release state is at the all-time low. However, I can't say I enjoyed any game released recently as hard as this one. Like you said, they still know how to play around with old-mechanics and I feel that modern games lack this old action game design.

I'm afraid it'll be their last game, since I don't think it sold well.

>Minigames
All this money just to make Euroschmup.

26Wanted: Dead Empty Re: Wanted: Dead Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:56 pm

Paul Allen's Profile

Paul Allen's Profile
C-Rank

I found potential speedrun strat (at least I'm not aware if it was discovered before) for Kolchak Fight:

Cool find, but it's pretty useless to me as I have no interest in speedrunning.

Last edited by Paul Allen's profile on Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

27Wanted: Dead Empty Re: Wanted: Dead Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:13 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

Finished it, really struggled to reach the end due to sheer boredom. I know there are some people saying it’s underrated and stuff but I found it to be a bit of a shitshow. This game seems to have no where near the replayability or layers that something like NG would offer, and isn’t well put together and paced carefully like Onimusha. It’s just a basic action game with dreadfully repetitive and monotonous encounters.

I watched a video by a channel I actually quite like where he defended the game adamantly, and a big reason was because it…has a cancel? I’m not sure how that’s a reason to find the game good. The melee is incredibly simplistic, shooting is a joke with enemies not reacting to anything(and melee enemies homing in on you making shooting them impossible), the skill tree is completely pointless at best(and damaging at worst), the enemies themselves are awful, encounters have less variety than a musou game, etc etc.

And that’s not counting all the other random other factors. The camera is atrocious and will spin around to target random enemies while I’m in the middle of attacking an enemy, the damage you take from melee attacks compared to gunfire makes no sense, basic mooks will armor through your attacks and interrupt you, the stupid fucking buzzing noise every single time any explosion happens, enemies blatantly shooting me through cover, horrible placed checkpoints, whatever the fuck the mini games are supposed to be, having the absolute worst shotgun ever created, and the list goes on and on.

And last but not least, another game where being reactive is the way to go, because parries do so much damage. Why even fucking go for my own offense when enemies tank everything and take forever to die, when I can just wait to parry once and kill most enemies instantly.

I wish new action games could be good.

28Wanted: Dead Empty Re: Wanted: Dead Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:46 pm

Omar73874928271728

A-Rank

>Parry’s
Honestly, don’t think I’ve played much games where parry’s destroy everything so I guess I can say I’m lucky.

29Wanted: Dead Empty Re: Wanted: Dead Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:57 pm

Paul Allen's Profile

Paul Allen's Profile
C-Rank

>basic action game
That's kind of appeal of it - it's not great, sure - but they made game without modern trends (except for that stupid skill tree) and all this junk in 2023.

>channel
Free advertisement for TEU heh. He definitely made an epiphany out of guard canceling, but he's definitely enjoying it. With all this mindless hate from mainstream, it easy to go bit overboard with the praise.

>simplistic melee
I feel more like melee combo are redundant. The only difference between various melee combos are delimb properties, frames and dmg. I rarely ever use them fully and when I did, I used McA and McB interchangeably, but almost never McC as it's slow and uncancellable.

>skill tree
After messing around without skills, it definitely feels like they removed them from base Stone's moveset, just to make skill tree. They've could made normal upgrade shop, it still wouldn't be perfect, but at least it wouldn't have been as restrictive.

>mini-games
Guess, they thought that casuals would love it. I thought I would like Space Runaway, but it's definitely a miss. Game in a game is rarely good. Karaoke is pretty fun and it's only, beacause I found the song to be enjoyable.

>parries
Parries definitely beat out everything else in-term of dmg output, but what I like that its use isn't enforced like in the modern games. Some bosses even have frame-traps to prevent you from parring every attack.

Last edited by Paul Allen's profile on Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

30Wanted: Dead Empty Re: Wanted: Dead Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:42 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Yeah my biggest problem is that they still try to make this sytem work, while it clearly isn't jibing. The constant swap between two totally different genres isn't implemented well, though I do appreciate how you can just play 'however you want'. You can parry enemies to death, or use your fully upgraded machine gun, or attack them, throw grenades, have your allies kill them with the chockhold or sniper shot - there's a ton of options and nothing is 'banned' if you get me.

If you see a Super Ninja you can legit just shoot a grenade launcher at his feet and chuck a dozen grenades and end with the dt-shot and laugh.

I agree there are some optimal routes, especially against regular ninjas that include parry-spam which is a shame. And the enemy variety and stage length is nightmarish. Stuff like block-cancel also shouldn't be in the game, you should just be able to swap between shoot and melee easily, that's the WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME'S DESIGN...

That said I will note, I found the game a LOT more engaging on Hard on my second run knowing what upgrades to get early. It's only like 3 hours, I'd honestly recommend giving that a go.

31Wanted: Dead Empty Re: Wanted: Dead Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:52 pm

SultanHayabusa

D-Rank

Infinity_Divide wrote:Finished it, really struggled to reach the end due to sheer boredom. I know there are some people saying it’s underrated and stuff but I found it to be a bit of a shitshow. This game seems to have no where near the replayability or layers that something like NG would offer, and isn’t well put together and paced carefully like Onimusha. It’s just a basic action game with dreadfully repetitive and monotonous encounters.

I watched a video by a channel I actually quite like where he defended the game adamantly, and a big reason was because it…has a cancel? I’m not sure how that’s a reason to find the game good. The melee is incredibly simplistic, shooting is a joke with enemies not reacting to anything(and melee enemies homing in on you making shooting them impossible), the skill tree is completely pointless at best(and damaging at worst), the enemies themselves are awful, encounters have less variety than a musou game, etc etc.

And that’s not counting all the other random other factors. The camera is atrocious and will spin around to target random enemies while I’m in the middle of attacking an enemy, the damage you take from melee attacks compared to gunfire makes no sense, basic mooks will armor through your attacks and interrupt you, the stupid fucking buzzing noise every single time any explosion happens, enemies blatantly shooting me through cover, horrible placed checkpoints, whatever the fuck the mini games are supposed to be, having the absolute worst shotgun ever created, and the list goes on and on.

And last but not least, another game where being reactive is the way to go, because parries do so much damage. Why even fucking go for my own offense when enemies tank everything and take forever to die, when I can just wait to parry once and kill most enemies instantly.

DMC5, Hi Fi rush and Astral Chain are an example of good modern action games.

Wanted : Dead is an example of an atrocious modern action game 😂

I dropped that garbo and uninstalled it.

32Wanted: Dead Empty Re: Wanted: Dead Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:05 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

RayyanHayabusa wrote:
Infinity_Divide wrote:Finished it, really struggled to reach the end due to sheer boredom. I know there are some people saying it’s underrated and stuff but I found it to be a bit of a shitshow. This game seems to have no where near the replayability or layers that something like NG would offer, and isn’t well put together and paced carefully like Onimusha. It’s just a basic action game with dreadfully repetitive and monotonous encounters.

I didn’t love HiFi Rush too much but I’d take it over Wanted Dead any day of the week.

Astral Chain is super good. The recent discussion on here about it made me want to get back into it. Such an awesome postgame too.

33Wanted: Dead Empty Re: Wanted: Dead Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:26 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Yeah Hi-Fi didn't connect with me either, it was fun and checked all the boxes but after finishing it I don't see myself ever replaying it for whatever reason.

> AC
Fantastic title, glad to see it get a bit more love.

34Wanted: Dead Empty Re: Wanted: Dead Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:40 pm

SultanHayabusa

D-Rank

Royta/Raeng wrote:Yeah Hi-Fi didn't connect with me either, it was fun and checked all the boxes but after finishing it I don't see myself ever replaying it for whatever reason.

> AC
Fantastic title, glad to see it get a bit more love.
Strange because Hi Fi rush didn't tick all the boxes for me and here I am replaying it on Very Hard mode lol it's a really good "drop in, drop out" type of game where I can just load it up, have a blast and dip. 

And ho boy, AC just gets better the more I play it. Been watching some advanced combat videos from this dude called Drayzer, he has infinite dodge offset and legion offset chains as well some insane continuinity combos. 

On the surface, AC combat looks simple but when you really dig deep, it can become as complex as DMC4.

35Wanted: Dead Empty Re: Wanted: Dead Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:42 pm

SultanHayabusa

D-Rank

Infinity_Divide wrote:
RayyanHayabusa wrote:

I didn’t love HiFi Rush too much but I’d take it over Wanted Dead any day of the week.

Astral Chain is super good. The recent discussion on here about it made me want to get back into it. Such an awesome postgame too.
Yeah I mean Hi Fi rush is well polished and not a jank fest like WD.

I would highly recommend replaying AC too.

36Wanted: Dead Empty Re: Wanted: Dead Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:22 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> HiFi
I think for me it's more just the time. I know for sure if that game had hit when I was 18-28 I would've devoured it multiple playthroughs and challenge runs. Now games that I give that amount of my time are more rare.

37Wanted: Dead Empty Re: Wanted: Dead Wed May 01, 2024 2:18 am

nepu47

nepu47
C-Rank

Wanted dead had "Combat Overhaul Update 1.13" in April 10th, Does anyone play this version?
Anyway, I`ll give one more chance to this game.

--

This is a "completed" version.

Wanted: Dead Oiayia13

And I didn`t play twice if i remember correct, but it seems they also changed (multiplied) enemy placements. Anyway, This is far more enjoyable than what it was.

Last edited by nepu47 on Wed May 01, 2024 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

https://www.backloggd.com/u/nepu47/

38Wanted: Dead Empty Re: Wanted: Dead Wed May 01, 2024 12:08 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I'm mixed on it. On the one end, it's fantastic and WAY more than I expected. But a combat engine is two parts, one is your kit, the other is the enemy. Vanessa was already a powerhouse and her guns were already insanely broken, and after one mission she had all the upgrades to deal with enemies.

With her new tools, added healthpickups and increased gun-damage, the game's difficulty is absolutely neutered and we really need a new mode and some new enemies that can deal with her increased mobility. Still, as noted, it is a big step in the right direction and way more than I was personally expecting.

39Wanted: Dead Empty Re: Wanted: Dead Wed May 01, 2024 2:42 pm

Paul Allen's Profile

Paul Allen's Profile
C-Rank

I'm still looking forward to what they add. Atm It's not enough for me to come back to it. I kind of felt robbed with those updates. I was really close to getting single segment No-Death, No-revive run when the Ninja update hit and I really didn't want to run easier version of the game. Option to downgrade games' versions really should be a standard.

>vid
Did they make kick hitbox bigger? I've seen it stuning two enemies at once.

40Wanted: Dead Empty Re: Wanted: Dead Wed May 01, 2024 3:48 pm

Jackie Estacado

Jackie Estacado
C-Rank
Survivor

gaming is saved

41Wanted: Dead Empty Re: Wanted: Dead Wed May 01, 2024 4:27 pm

nepu47

nepu47
C-Rank

> Enemies

Yes, I guessed that It was a bit more changed, but in stage 2 it is same. This is now an enjoyable game but not a challenging game even in Japanese Hard mode. If they add one more difficulty and many ambushes, then it would work as I wished.

Paul Allen's Profile wrote:
Did they make kick hitbox bigger? I've seen it stuning two enemies at once.

I think that it is from new skill. Devs made new skill that you can do melee immediately after parry, and this after-parry-attack cut all enemies got in the way.

https://www.backloggd.com/u/nepu47/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum