You are not connected. Please login or register

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Empty Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:01 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Psychobreak
Expert on The Evil Within

https://youtu.be/Ynesdjzxix0

My heart literally skipped a beat when I saw this. The first Curse of the Moon is my favorite 2D game of all time. I’ve been incredibly uninterested in games lately and really don’t care about the industry right now but this put a huge smile on my face. Can’t wait.

2Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Empty curse you too Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:40 pm

Well, when you consider to strip away the current "assisted playstyle" the original did offer some spiffy fun.
For a very inspired pastiche of a now defunct legacy.

*monocle drop*

3Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Empty Re: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:17 pm

5does

C-Rank
Veteran
Was one of the original users

>I’ve been incredibly uninterested in games lately and really don’t care about the industry right
I feel the same, it's a mix of uninteresting titles one after another, a industry that keeps shrinking due to less and less devs being able to keep up with newest gen dev costs, the fact that avoiding supporting China is becoming harder and harder*insert play valorant meme* and other smaller stuff as well.

>Corgo of the moon 2
The trailer implies we'll have NuR Zangetsu runs once more, can't wait to try it out again.

4Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Empty Re: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:27 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Absolutely brilliant. Saw the reveal too and very excited. Had a ton of fun getting all the endings in the original game, fantastically made despite being on such a tight budget. Loved how Zangetsu was basically a slightly tweaked Ryu. Guy even has spin-slash now.

One thing that really excites me is the multiplayer, apparently there's co-op, as shown by the P2 "Press a button" underneath your healthbar. The original didn't have that right?

If I'm allowed a critisim I am curious about the characters. We have three close-range damage dealers and a sniper. Hope that the girl will have some interesting magical abilities.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

5Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Empty Re: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:15 pm

5does

C-Rank
Veteran

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5eVKsmguKY

the cast from the 1s game makes a return, 2 Zangetsu in the game, probably his 1st and 2nd game incarnation.

6Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Empty Re: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:06 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

>uninteresting titles, high budgets, China shilling
Indeed, mid budget games and smaller games don’t really have a chance now, and almost all AAA games are completely sterile uninteresting garbage. After watching that disaster known as the PS5 event I just walked away thinking “well, I guess this industry is dead”. It also doesn’t help how long these dev times are now(6th gen gave us classic after classic with 1-2 years between titles).

As for the second trailer, this game looks amazing. Will probably be the only new game I get the rest of the year.

7Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Empty Re: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:42 am

hebass

C-Rank

Heck yah! I had picked up the limited run physical version of the first one for switch when it came out awhile back. Been playing 2D Castlevania games since the first one on the NES so many years ago. I'm glad to see Igarashi is still helping build these types of games :)

8Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Empty Re: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:35 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Game is lauching in a few weeks, damn, that caught me off guard.

9Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Empty Re: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:08 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

>limited run physical version

Same here, got it for PS4 and wish I would have got the collector’s one, I love the game so much. This announcement was such a nice surprise.

>launching soon

Nothing like a good surprise announcement.

10Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Empty un-dead, walk with me Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:53 am

Infinity_Divide wrote:The first Curse of the Moon is my favorite 2D game of all time.

Mean to ask: What was on the throne before this meaningful encounter? Since it's fairly recent.
I thought everybody and their mother would point to Super Mario World for that position.

Infinity_Divide wrote:I just walked away thinking “well, I guess this industry is dead”

I think the term "un-dead" lends itself to that description. Dead, but behaving alive.

11Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Empty Re: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:47 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Super Mario World takes the cake for me still too, godlike game.

12Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Empty Re: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:44 am

5does

C-Rank
Veteran

Got the game, impressions soon.

13Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Empty Re: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:53 am

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

@Zenyn It actually was a tie between Super Mario World and Contra 3. Love all of the games to death. Mega Man X and Mega Man 11 are also incredibly close.

>dead, but behaving alive

Fair.

@5does I keep forgetting that a lot of this board lives on a different side of the world than I do. Impressions would be great, very curious to see what you think.

14Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Empty Re: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:52 am

5does

C-Rank
Veteran

I finished a playthrough.

Alternate paths still exist but multiple endings are gone. Regular playthrough is called Chapter 1, the equivalent of Nightmare is called Chapter two, it seems to go up to 4 chapters and there is another option below, there's some space in between the last option as opposed to the other 4 which are all close to each other so I more or less expect it to be some sort of extra mode with the main story being 4 playthroughs long.

Zangetsu starts off like his basic counterpart in 1, you get Dominique clearing chapter 1, Sniper clearing 2 and Doggo in 3, the boss of chapter 4 gives Zangetsu an weapon that upgrades his kit and gives him a triple slash regular combo, his downward slash from the first game and all of his sub weapons get upgraded, talisman and chain gets extra Y axis range, his aura powerup gives him a spinning aerial attack, you can still get the downward slash if you hold down and attack while airbone but in general you're gonna just wanna use the upgraded version. Haven't checked to see if there's extra damage to the power up and other subweapons, also I think his regular non upgrade aura doesn't carry to teammates while the upgraded one does, I'm not sure when I'll ever touch base Zangetsu again so I won't bother testing.

Dominique plays like a female Lecarde, high jump, can bounce on people with spear, has extra range but lower attack speed and can attack upwards. Her subweapons consist of one tornado that goes straight and falls downwards while travelling through terrain, a thunderbolt that goes up and then travels through the ceilling killing everything, she can throw a seed that grows into a life recovery item and golden candles drop a one use subweapon for her that can ressurrect your whole party and cure all of them for a certain amount of hp the downside is that it has a really long casting time but you can use it outside bosses so it's still really broken(specially for a particular reason that I'll list below) and there's one subweapon that makes her do an even higher jump which is mostly used to reach places you wouldn't be able to. She more or less is the paladin of the equip, her specialty to get through certain segments is her high jump and bounce on mobs/candles to reach certain places.

Sniper works like the old man, he's pretty terrible as playable character on his own so you'll just whip him when you need him for specific uses, has the lowest hp out of the cast, his regular weapon is a hitscan weapon so it's pretty great to wipe weak trash from far however his weak damage paired with a insane recovery speed(he reloads after each shot) makes its usage pretty limited. His subweapons consists of two javelins he throws diagonal up, one axe-like grenade that rolls on terrain until it hits something or bounces back on an wall and a power up that drains your mp each second but allows him to attack at a much faster rate giving him one of the best dps in the game while he's powered up. He more or less fills the role of a sniper, you'll use him to take things from far away but that's about it. He can wall jump and crawl to get to certain segments.

Based Doggo has the highest hp value in the game, has slow attack speed but hits hard and has a decent hitbox, also has aerial attack that involves him falling into the ground and smashing anything below him, it has no armor or iframes so you gotta make sure you'll kill whatever you're landing on. Like Gebel he only has 1 subweapon so switching to him and breaking subweapon candles will net you more mp instead, his subweapon is a buff that drains mp each second but makes him invulnerable to any sort of damage except pitfalls and certain traps. He's the literal tank of the party, you'll be using him a lot to traverse through terrain since he's sturdy, immune to certain traps like poison and spikes, he also can hover making him the character with the most air mobility in the game after Dominique, he can also tank most of the stuff with his subweapon so there's that. He's used to break floors, metal doors, reach places with hover, places where he can walk through without taking damage and get through mobs that never stop attacking(like the archers from the first game) with his buff.

Okay now onto more details about the game itself, it's pretty similar to the first one,there's a total of 7 stages, no multiple endings but apparently there's 4 or 5 campaigns. The first one is pretty basic and acts like the tutorial for the game, the first few bosses won't even suicide attack because your new party members will kill them before they can do anything. Chapter 2 is like Nightmare, you start as 3 characters to save the fourth one again, the first few bosses now will do their suicide moves, you have access to more routes now on the first few stages and bosses are much harder like the first game.

My gripes with the game itself is that unlike the first one, it doesn't seem like the game was designed around people doing challenge runs in mind, you can't even have basic Zangetsu as you're forced to get the whole party and so doing any sort of challenge run with a single character becomes a hassle(as you have to wipe the other characters to get a retry). Also the enemies and stages don't seem designed like the first one where you should be able to get through anything even if you're down to 1 character and has no mp. I did a no subweapon run with basic Zangetsu on the first game and as long you're not going through alternate routes(which you shouldn't be able to if you're playing solo Zangetsu) everything was doable, I'd go as far as saying the game was (mostly)doable with no subweapon Albert alone if you put enough dedication into it, in this game however it seems like they're putting more focus on pushing your whole party to the limit, there's more than a few segments that from a first look, they just seem impossible to do certain characters, specially the Sniper guy, though who knows I have the game for no more than one night so things might change in the long run, the game is harder after all so maybe it just needs more lab time.

As for actual complaints, checkpoints are now much farther from bosses, if only a character dies you get to restart from closer(though you get to deal with a single segment that's usually filled with way more annoying mobs than the first game) but if you lose all 4, you restart from pretty far which can be pretty annoying and contributes more to what I've said about the game seemgly not being designed around a single chracter anymore. To compensate for this, bosses start with less hp the more you retry without losing a whole life(your whole party), this is either a plus for some people or an actual offense to anyone wanting to kill the boss without handicaps and would rather just retry from a closer checkpoint(I'm the latter). Some mobs also have been designed to be worse like the fat flying pigs, now they explode on hit as opposed to before so that simply means you have no real way to deal with them if you're stuck with someone that isn't sniper and has no mp left. That being said I've only met them once and they might've been or not on a segment only the Sniper can cross so maybe you ARE supposed to have a ranged option, either way I like them better the way they were before.

These are early impressions, keep in mind that the game has at least 3 more modes and I haven't finished Nightmare yet so these aren't final yet. Also worth mentioning that I do like the bosses in this game way more than I liked the ones from the first game, it's just the new checkpoint system that annoys me.

15Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Empty curses for mooning Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:47 am

Thanks for your thoughts.

I replayed the original and concur in finding the bosses lacking. It's much too often that I feel like I'm doing some game of jump rope. As any boss, right.
Yet the feat would be not being so overt. So there's this to improve.

I'll wait for a sudden price drop or a retail edition, though. 15 Creds as opposed to the 10 for the original is a bit stiff for me on principle.
Not being cheap, just 5 more for a co-op and the conviction of success? Naah.

16Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Empty Re: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:55 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Sounds interesting. Regarding the challenge-run, on the one hand this might be good as enemies and stages will now then play better with your total kit. On the other, it might also lead to a dead game in a few days since they both aren't that long. Still, would you say it is worth a pick up?

> no sub Albert
This has been done iirc though the guy did switch to Zangetsu for some jumps from what I remember.

> I keep forgetting that a lot of this board lives on a different side of the world than I do. Impressions would be great, very curious to see what you think.
I think it's the other way around haha. Pretty sure 5does is state-side too. I think only Birdman, Greg and I come from outside the US. Though I could be mistaken.

17Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Empty Re: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:49 pm

5does

C-Rank
Veteran

>I replayed the original and concur in finding the bosses lacking.
They more or less follow the same formula, I just found them to have harder patterns to dodge and there's more than a few bosses that are designed to have certain characters make their fight much easier(Dog can break spikes on boss 4, Sniper can stun and dps boss on 3, etc). Some of the fights seem like a decent challenge if you try to do it with certain characters alone.

>just 5 more for a co-op and the conviction of success?
The game is definitely longer, we're looking at 4 or 5 different modes as opposed to 3 and 8 playable characters instead of 4. Everything else also looks like a higher budget, the animations are smoother, all of the monsters look more detailed(specially noticeable when you compare the sprite of the Squid-like monsters from 1).

>Regarding the challenge-run, on the one hand this might be good as enemies and stages will now then play better with your total kit.
I feel like they already did in the first game depending on which route you took, another complaint that I'd raise is that there more than a few mobs immune to Robert(Sniper) projectiles unless you get them to open up or hit them with a specific sub weapon, this kind of immunity wasn't really a thing on 1. It's more interesting for people looking for only a few playthroughs as the game feels harder now but as you said, if in the long run there isn't much to work around with restricted runs people won't just dedicate as much time. Though as said before, I could be wrong and they could still just be in, just at a much higher ceilling and requires way more lab time. We also don't know what all the modes are about, they might be more challenge run oriented or something completely different that pushes the game in another direction, this is why I'm holding a final judgement still since my complaints are mostly about what it does differently from 1.

>Still, would you say it is worth a pick up?
Yeah definitely, specially if you're like me and have been struggling to find something to play in short bursts of time.

>This has been done iirc though the guy did switch to Zangetsu for some jumps from what I remember.
Most I've saw was a bossrush with him, then again I do believe it's possible and I haven't really followed the community for long after I got done with it.

On non-related gameplay impressions, I really like the stage transition scenes that involves the whole party interacting in their free time.

>Pretty sure 5does is state-side too.
I'm from outside as well.

18Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Empty Re: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:19 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

Thanks for the write up 5does, concerned about a couple things but sounds really good overall. The enemy immunity thing is a huge bummer, loved how in the first game you could roll over every enemy and boss with every character if you knew what you were doing. Plan to really break this game apart and see if it lives up to the first one. I have to ask...how is the music?

>from outside as well

I knew there was sorcery involved in you getting the game before it was out here.

19Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Empty Re: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:03 pm

5does

C-Rank
Veteran

Just a small fix, shielded mobs could stop Gebel's attack iirc. They're just more frequent now(caster mobs also immune to bullets, wtf), and they're more a hassle to deal with someone who's forced to get near to open their defenses up while his main tool is a ranged sniper. He does fill Alfred/Albert(i keep mixing his name)spot, so maybe they just shafted him on purpose to be just as specific like he were.

>music
I'll be honest, I haven't really paid much attention to the songs overall, I did like the later songs like stage 7 and the final boss. First stage isn't nearly as bombastic as stage 1 from the first game, and I dont think I've heard anything that stacks up to the 1st and clock tower stage from the other game. 1st stage has a different music in chapter 2 to show off their quest this time is different(saving an ally), unsure about the other stages. I'll formulate a better opinion on it when I get to the point of being stuck long enough on stages so that the songs feel familiar to me.

20Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Empty Re: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:57 am

5does

C-Rank
Veteran

Finished chapter 2. If you collect the secret sword during chapter 2 and clear it you'll skip to chapter 4, if you dont and get the bad ending instead you'll unlock chapter ex(3). So for completion you shouldn't pick it up and do ex then 4 as ex chapter also unlocks the last chapter.

Chapter ex has base 1 Zangetsu and the three other from the first game, it seems the same as chapter 2 except you havee a different party.

Been playing more of the game and everything seems doable with single characters, some bosses being much easier with certain characters and harder with others(the disparity is much higher than the first game as the bosses now are designed taking in account what each character can do). Playing without subs though, only seems doable if you switch them up. A solo + no subs seems impossible at first glance but who knows.

21Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Empty score some sounds Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:31 am

Listening to the score in low quality on yt.

The Queens Dirge from Stage 4 sounds like a lost original D00M piece. Cool Slow Metal. Looking foward to the covers.

Raging Chariot from Stage 3 is my jam. It jumps up and down like a maniac. I love you

The official character files are neat. And there are boss information, too!

Aaah, instruction manuals way back. Only young'uns call it a waste of natural resources.

22Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Empty Re: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:16 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

Everyone’s thoughts on the game?

I’m really enjoying it but I’m torn; on one hand, the expanded toolkit is great, and I love how brutal the levels can get without falling into the pitfall of “you have to play this exact way” like some hard 2D games(super meat boy), but it also seems that some of the bosses are an absolute chore without certain subweapons or characters. The boss of stage six seems insane if you don’t have Hachi or Robert’s spears. Even doing the first stage as Zangetsu/Alfred made the first boss take a while, I don’t know if there’s some better way to fight it or what.

Seems to still be a lot of freedom and workarounds that I didn’t notice on my first run, like being able to destroy the fireballs in the 5th stage, or stomping the ground as Hachi to destroy the projectiles during the final boss of episode 2. There’s also some sections where Robert’s Grenade is amazing for hitting certain enemies.

I am a bit annoyed with how they take away Zangetsu’s skills halfway through episode 2, because he becomes by far the worst character. When he has his 3 hit string and his improved air slash he’s great, but going back to his base moves makes me never want to use him. Do you get to use his upgraded form again after the first episode?

23Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Empty Re: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:42 pm

5does

C-Rank
Veteran

>Everyone’s thoughts on the game?
Great game, lots of replayability and a lot of content, started final chapter yesterday, I have some grips about the fundamentals taking a hit in favor of giving the subweapons more utility but at least it's happening in favor of a change in design rather than devs being bad at their job.

>but it also seems that some of the bosses are an absolute chore without certain subweapons or characters
Fuck Mummy. In the very least you always have a way to deal with the bosses if you pick the subweapon before him, zangetsu can spin 2 win and ignore projectiles,Dom can bounce on him I think, rob and mirian can clear statues, Bork can tank hits, alf has shield, rob can just crouch, Geb can take the statues with bat charge, etc. Still, fuck Mummy.

>Zangetsu/Alfred made the first boss take a while
Alf has fire shield to tank his fire barrage, Zangetsu can stop it with his talisman, other than that you have to wait forever until you can land hit 2/3 while he's charging his attack above, dealing damage while charges below is onlybpossible if you can do something to stop/tank his attack.

This is more or less the case with all bosses, certain subweapons destroy them while on the other hand doing a no subweapon run will tak forever and feel lile a chore at some point.

>workarounds
Alf's fire negates ice floor and makes it so you don't slide while walking, a good chunk of ceilling spikes can be destroyed, Hachi's stomp kills mobs below platforms as well, the game is great at giving uses for all of your characters and tools, yeah.

>wens Zangetsu
Final chapter apparently, unsure of when exactly.

24Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Empty Re: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:12 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

>fundamentals take a hit in favor of subweapon utility

This is precisely what I was thinking, the characters’ base skill sets aren’t as well-suited to all sceneries as last time but the game did get a much-needed challenge buff. It seems that the levels themselves aren’t timesinks like the bosses with one character, I think they did a good job of having every character get subweapons that can cover every kind of encounter while still making them different(just recently thought to use Zangetsu’s magic scroll/talisman/whatever it’s called as a damaging shield).

>Mummy

Yeah it’s brutal, the fight just has so much going on compared to everything else you encounter, I like the arrows getting blocked by the pillars and messing with your perception of the attacks, neat touch.

>Alf can tank fire attack

The attack itself or the flames on the ground afterwards? If he can straight up tank the entire attack then that’s huge.

>no subweapon bosses will feel like a chore

Yep, I don’t think this was the case in the first game since it didn’t seem like as many of the bosses had long stretches where they couldn’t be hit.

>great at giving uses for all characters and tools

There are so many times where after I get hit/die to something I realize doggo’s hover could have saved me, or laying down as Robert, using Alf’s clone, etc. The game seems deceptive in forcing you to play certain ways when there’s usually very simple solutions to problems that just make you think outside the box a little.

25Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Empty Re: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:28 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

I find the stages in this game to be a bit uneven. Difficulty aside, the design of them is off sometimes, like in stage 7, there’s a lot of jumping between platforms that spin in a circular motion, and the bulk of the combat is fighting tanker enemies on flat terrain. Between the two games it is by definitely my least favorite level, and the boss is sort of a re-hash from the first game as well, to make matters worse.

That aside, I’ve got a little better at fighting Mummy, there’s a lot to keep track of but it’s so satisfying. I also really enjoy the boss of stage 4. The dragon in stage 1 can piss off though, too many invulnerability periods if you don’t have the certain subweapons.

26Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Empty Re: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:26 pm

5does

C-Rank
Veteran

>The dragon in stage 1 can piss off though, too many invulnerability periods if you don’t have the certain subweapons.
Yeah, I mixed him and train up, train is the one you can tank with sub weapons. That being said, I found out that if you stay near him during his tail beams you can time jumps well enough so that it throws the beam off while you fall right next for him for maximum dps.

>there’s a lot of jumping between platforms that spin in a circular motion
While also having a bunch of mobs throwing stuff at you. Definitely the worst stage/segment by far, I've found the lava falling platforms kind of weird too. Something I also noticed is that this game also focuses on having a lot of segments and mobs that keep throwing projectiles/medusa heads at you. Like I get that you can kill projectiles but more than not so often(I'm looking at you octopuses below platforms) you can't really deal with the mob that spawns the projectiles itself so more than not so often you'll end up having to deal with a clusterfuck of projectiles unless you have specific characters or subweapons around, I don't remember which stage exactly but at some point you have to deal with stuff like falling frogs + mobs throwing projectiles at you, it's like playing a shoot em up rather than a siderscroller.

Have you reached the last episode yet? There's some stuff there that's, kind of weird to say the least.

27Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Empty Re: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:48 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

Agree about the projectiles. The first game balanced fighting mobs with platforming, this game on some stages focuses on the platforming with a ton of pitfalls and making the projectiles/enemy spawns the focus. The 2nd stage here is probably the best example of level design from the first game that I like, it’s a lot of screens that have some hazards and usually mixed up enemy compositions, not tightrope platforming where you’re just concerned with not falling.

>reached the last episode

Nope, I haven’t had much time to play unfortunately. I’m assuming you mean weird in a bad way?

28Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Empty Re: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:42 pm

5does

C-Rank
Veteran

Haven't cleared it yet but last chapter is a open-world esque mode where characters are assigned to random stages, if you clear said stage you recruit the characte permanently to your party. Once you're satisfied with your lineup you can set off to the last stage(you can leave after 1 clear), it'll feature a Kamiya-esque shoot em up segment and then you'll tackle onto the last stage.

The weird things I've mentioned are, well, weird. I'm unsure as if I'd call it proper bad design, just actual odd choices like:

The shoot em up segment as a whole, like it's not done badly but it can be frustrating for a player to be forced to play it just to access the last stage, it has nothing to do with CoTM gameplay and the segment itself while not insanely hard, it's not exactly easy either, you're required to memorize the patterns as you get a set amount of lives so you can't just power it through. The true ending requires you to play as Zangetsu solo(he gets his moveset back before going to moon, so no worries here) so it means you'll have to tackle on this segment with 3 lives(the bare minimum), solo Zangetsu gets a insane damage boost for this segment but still, you gotta dodge stuff.

Another weird thing is that if you're going for the true ending, you have to clear the mission asigned to Zangetsu so you don't recruit anyone, this means that there's a chance you'll be forced to play as base Zangetsu on either the first stage or Mummy, this can be solved with restarting the save until he gets an easier mission but as I said, it's kinda weird, would make more sense if they were assigned to static missions.

And the last one and the thing that I'd clearly classify as a flaw is the last stage gimmick, since you play on the moon there is some sort of gravity effect that affects your jump height making you jump higher, in theory this should help you get across farther but in reality it just makes it so you have to adjust to a new jump height that wasn't present in any other segment of the game, the last stage should be the place where you're putting everything you've learned so far on test, not give you something entirely new to learn that far in the game.

29Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Empty Re: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:49 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

Alright, so I cleared the final episode and I really didn’t like anything about it.

The thing of “recruiting” party members was a bit strange, I find it odd that there’s no mode in this game where you start with the full cast like in the first game. I suppose this makes it like the first episode but just extended(since you’re recruiting members for the whole game rather than the first half) but we’ve already done that, why not give us a mode where we can have everyone from the start? I get that this would interfere with needing to use solo Zangetsu for the final boss, but I’m sure they could have come with a workaround.

That shmup section annoyed the hell out of me for two reasons, 1) it was a shmup section, and 2) like W101, I had a really hard time discerning what was what, I kept mistaking enemy projectiles for my own(since you end up shooting about 20 things once you’re powered up). Really think this should have been a one and done thing, if the game sees you cleared it at all on your game across any file you shouldn’t need to redo it.

And I agree about the final stage, trying to get used to a new jump height for every character after I had used them all for 20-30 hours didn’t sit well with me(my party actually wiped at a fairly easy hallway because I couldn’t gauge the jumps I needed between platforms). Top that off with a final boss that doesn’t restore a 1up beforehand(which the other two final bosses do), and the entire stage just kind of sucks.

I’m going to go through and unlock solo mode but the thought of doing that shmup section again...meh.

30Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Empty Re: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:53 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

Doing solo runs now. Dominiques is fun for me because she’s the character that got the least amount of use, her upwards attack is great and her cyclone subweapon is fantastic if you have the timing and grouping of enemies down. Her lightning subweapon demolished the second boss too. Not having other party members obviously makes her special one pointless, and the healing one I don’t bother with because I’d rather use other subweapons to play really effectively.

31Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Empty Re: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:37 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

Legend mode is out, really great so far. New enemy compositions everywhere, one character dying now sends you back to the last checkpoint and bosses hit really hard. There’s also one a timer like classic side scrollers. Will be curious to see solo runs on this mode.

32Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Empty most legendary update Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:14 am

Did Boss Rush come with this update, too?

33Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Empty Re: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:42 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

Yep, boss rush is out.

34Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Empty Re: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:45 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

Well, I’ve officially played the hell out of this game, and I still have a lot of challenge runs and stuff to do(now even more with Legend mode). I can definitely say this game is phenomenal and one of my favorites in years. The challenge, amount of experimentation, simplicity while also being deep, level design, enemy arrangements, customization, etc is really spectacular.

At first I didn’t like it as much as the first, since it seemed that the game was forcing characters on me for certain sections, but it’s definitely not the case. I’ve found tons of ways around nearly everything the game has thrown at me, and the solo character runs also confirm that you can really do anything with anyone, as long as you understand the game and utilize things smartly. WP management is very tactical and smart while allowing tons of freedom and ways to obliterate mobs/hazards/bosses, everyone has a good base moveset(even Alf’s delayed melee is good), Ultimate Zangetsu is amazing, the different routes in stages really help bring out even more importance in different characters and give subsequent playthroughs variety(as well as putting later game enemies in the alternate routes), the subweapons range from decent to incredible, etc.

The final episode grew on me, it’s like episode 1, but more challenging and the recruiting takes place over a longer period of time. Going in any order is a nice touch. I still hate the shmup section but other than that, every stage/route/character combination is fun.

I love this game.

35Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Empty frothing demand Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:07 pm

Though I read every post, I got some thing to clarify: When you say "solo character runs"? Say Dominqiue. It is not actually an extra mode upon completion of all chapters, is it? You mean sticking to one and not switching to the others, right?

Ah wait. You do mean extra mode. Got the confirm.
Well, now my interest has increased.

36Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Empty Re: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:37 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

Yeah, a mode where you pick one character to play as the whole game from the start. You can pick the new Legend difficulty with it as well.

For the record...the alternate path in stage 3(where you have to break the floor) in episode 2 is brutal on the new difficulty. I had to swallow my pride and go through the normal route.

37Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Empty Re: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:18 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

It’s kind of crazy how many tools/differences they gave the new characters compared to the cast from the first game. Not counting subweapons, the original cast had:

Miriam: higher jump, slide, longer hitbox for base attack
Alfred: ...delayed hitbox on base attack and low health?That’s about it
Gebel: scatter shot, one subweapon

The new cast has:

Dominique: upwards attack, pogo bounce, longer hitbox for base attack
Robert: full screen hitbox, prone, crawling, wall jump, low health
Hachi: high health, ground pound, float, destroy some stage hazards, move quickly while crouching, doesn’t slide on ice, less knockback from attacks, one subweapon

I think they gave a little too many perks to Hachi, but all of the new tools are great for the increased difficulty. What’s impressive is how well the original cast works in these levels too(thanks mostly to their subweapons being so incredible). The first cast seemed designed more with their subweapons being their primary focus, while the new cast balances their subweapons with their innate abilities a little more.

38Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Empty thx sound Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:03 am

I want to give thanks to 5does and Infinity_Divide for informing me about the intricates when I couldn't find any in other water holes.
It is appreciated.

39Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Empty Re: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:01 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

No problem, glad someone got something out of my ramblings.

41Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Empty Re: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:11 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

Thanks for the link!

42Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Empty cuss of the moon Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:45 pm

Got it on sale.

Cleared Episode 1. Starts fun enough. But near the end... Th-that final stage... Oy! Guffaw! Bitch-slap.
Now it's Episode 2: Two men and a dog. It's keen. I'm not in favour of the whole character-switching. I prefer a solo run. The leniency does nothing but get in my way of receiving the hurt and figuring out the situation. I look forward to unlock solos. I like Dominique well enough, but her default Healing Plant re-up is atrocious. The usage made me a user, not a player. Same for the ressurection. "Sometimes dead is better."

Onward.

43Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Empty cleave the moon Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:07 am

Cleared Eps 2 ( bad ending ) and Eps Ex. Replaying Ep 2 for the other ending.
Funny how they eliminate Dominique as the crutch of the group in these chapters so that the player may learn finally ( gasp ) to improve. Still a lot of training wheels around, but it's a start to a more profound experience.

Lolz @ the stg section of the game.
I walk the line: I know just enough to not use regular moving for any spacecraft. You don't hold directions and fly loops, you tap. Tap-tap-tap. And I just don't know enough in specifics of the genre that I would call it bad. Could it do without? Probably.
But they did feel the need to put it in, right?

44Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Empty Re: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:17 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

>Dominique heal

I have mixed feelings about this. It seems cheap and braindead at first but I think once you get to the final episode it becomes not worth it to use so many WP on such a small heal. More worth it to just get better and avoid the damage, eh?

>stg section

I really don’t get why this was included. It also comes before the worst stage in the game, making the payoff even less rewarding.

Are you on Veteran? Or Legend Hunter?

45Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Empty I'm a vet, not a pet Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:01 am

Veteran pirat for now (nothing less). I'll reserve my claim for Legend status for later Twisted Evil .

Infinity_Divide wrote: More worth it to just get better and avoid the damage, eh?

This ought to be printed on ever box or shown before every title screen of designated action. As a friendly reminder. bom

46Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Empty moonstuck Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:52 pm

Limited Run Games accepts pre-order up to the end of the month for 2 retail versions of the game.
Though I got it digital, I placed my order for the S.E. you betcha! That Tom deBois cover! So rad.  I love you
Don't date me because I like to adhere to bygone days, OK?

Back to the game: Finally unlocked Single runs and hit the wall with the stage 4 boss, Vepar. Playing as Dom. I assumed Lavamandra would be tough and Titankhamun a new kind of pain. Alas, this is what I wanted. No two ways about it.
40 hours with the game. No 1 game on Switch for me, or so the last year stat said...

47Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 Empty let's get forever physical Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:03 pm

I received my Classic Edition of the game. NES box mock-up with Tom duBois cover art. The soundtrack on CD. A large poster with the standard and duBois cover on each side. The game on card with a mock NES cart case, and a small booklet with it's only content the characters bios. Something of a collectible card with a number and the duBois art. I don't usally indulge in such memorabilia, but this time I am glad I did. rabbit

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum