Birdman
KSubzero1000
Infinity_Divide
Royta/Raeng
RedShot
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

101Resident Evil (1996) and later versions - Page 3 Empty Re: Resident Evil (1996) and later versions Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:47 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Was one of the original users
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I honestly don't recall, IIRC the reverse was true (cropped at 4:3), but I admit it's been a while.

Just to be sure to note, the re-releases only changed Jill's jiggle physics (no joke) by fastly upping their shakyness in the re-releases. Guess someone at Capcom thought that was a valid and necessary change. That's the only change in terms of gameplay haha.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

102Resident Evil (1996) and later versions - Page 3 Empty Re: Resident Evil (1996) and later versions Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:26 am

Memes of Monsoon

Memes of Monsoon
D-Rank

finished remake. An underwhelming game

Bad camera placement- the camera changes are too sudden and fail to frame the action properly. Even the first encounter with the zombie isn't framed perfectly.

Nonsensical puzzles and excessive back and forth walking.  Most of the time the game feels like a walking simulator.

Gameplay simple yet fun- Although the lack of free aiming pretty much means all encounters play out similarly the weapon and enemy variety is appreciated. I would have liked more combat encounters.

It was novel at the time but it doesn't hold up well nowadays.

103Resident Evil (1996) and later versions - Page 3 Empty Re: Resident Evil (1996) and later versions Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:21 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Have to say that's quite a unique take, REmake is pretty much the one game most casual and veteran players agree upon that it's basically made of solid gold. The only flaw that comes to my mind might be the "modern controls" that were added in future releases that kinda made movement weird and allowed for some dumb ways to dodge, but that's about it. Sorry to hear it didn't connect with you!

> cameras
Really enjoyed them, the one in the hallway at the start is a tad annoying with the swap but the game offers plenty of elements (sfx, shadows, etc) to alert you anyway. Other than that one hallway they tend to flow great. Loved the one where the camera was underneath a bed, super spooky. Or the one with the mirror around the corner. It really dared to play with it.

> walking simulator
I mean, it is a Resident Evil game. Their whole jam is a mix of resource management while making you stressed to go through other areas again and again, forcing you to make choices on what rooms to 'sanetize'. This won't really come to light too much on Normal or Easy, but on Chris-Hard for example it comes way more into view. Esp with the limited lighter-fuel.

What did you think about the infamous door-nob?

> puzzles
Never really minded them since they're not too hard. Only one I hated in the series is that slider-puzzle in RE4, especially since you can't reset it.

> encounters
Zombies are more risk/reward (go for shotty headshots up close, or ranged safety kills). Added on by the Crimson Heads rearing their head. Jill does have the more complex combat kit though with her grenade-types, making Chris sometimes feel a bit meh. I do like how creative you can get within its restrictions. Shooting off legs for a headstomp, piling bodies together to burn them for the cost of a single drop of fuel, using flash-grenades for a OHKO (even against Crimson Heads) - the game allows for a lot with very little which is pretty impressive.

104Resident Evil (1996) and later versions - Page 3 Empty Re: Resident Evil (1996) and later versions Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:11 pm

Jackie Estacado

Jackie Estacado
C-Rank
Survivor

i tried REmake in... 2017 (thanks Steam!) and i got to a point where the mansion was swarmed with stupidly powerful zombies and i was like what the fuck. looked up what was going on, learned that my game was ruined (turns out you're supposed to burn zombies' bodies because after a certain point they resurrect into super zombies, i guess you can get away with leaving a small amount but... i didn't burn a single one), went "ah, my game's ruined", and then promptly uninstalled.

forgot that old games can fuck you over like that when you skip past the dialogue. i mean if i enjoyed the game i would have just restarted but like Monsoon it's just not for me-- the entire franchise for that matter, old style and new.

105Resident Evil (1996) and later versions - Page 3 Empty Re: Resident Evil (1996) and later versions Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:46 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Yeah the game pretty much hits you over the head a few times with "please god burn bodies", but if you just skip/skip/skip/skip then you're going to get boned. Note that it's far from a ruined save. You can dodge them and once you leave the mansion they all despawn. Just like with most action-games your first run can be messy.

Have you tried RE3 (the original)? That one is a lot more action-based and my personal fav.

106Resident Evil (1996) and later versions - Page 3 Empty Re: Resident Evil (1996) and later versions Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:25 am

Memes of Monsoon

Memes of Monsoon
D-Rank

>game offers plenty of elements (sfx, shadows, etc) to alert you anyway

Distance is difficult to judge when enemies are offscreen. The biggest issue is action not being framed. It's hard to feel anything when you don't see the enemies you have defeated. There is no tension or sense of overwhelming relief only annoyance.

I Enjoyed the 2 second snake fight the most because the camera position is good. The snakes tail helps in keeping track of it but the camera always gives a clear view of the action. Both of the save room room on either side in mansion suffer from this issue. In the east wing save room are the camera should give you full view given that an enemy is placed there, however for some reason when you approach the door the angle changes.

There are some instances where the camera focuses on players upper body for no reason. The door knob is good example. There are enemies placed there so there is no reason to focus on the player as soon as they enter.

> the one with the mirror around the corner. It really dared to play with it.
I also liked this.

>it is a Resident Evil game.

4 didn't have this for me. Since you always move forward and puzzles are to give some breathing room from the action instead of the other way around it avoids this issue,

> Their whole jam is a mix of resource management while making you stressed to go through other areas again and again, forcing you to make choices on what rooms to 'sanetize'

This is a sound concept but didn't work for me in this game. Problem is exploration is only fun the first time around since you don't know the layout. Back and forth walking is tedious because there is no change in the gameplay. Not helped by RE's limited movement mechanics.

Come to think of it I'm not fond of this aspect in 4 either. Mikami nailed it in Evil Within. The resource management was integrated into the combat loop fantastically. That's why its the best survival horror as well as best mikami game.

> light too much on Normal or Easy,

So i checked the leader boards and found i completed the game on easy. The difficulty naming confused me. I thought about starting a Jill hard mode playthrough However the combat encounters are few so i dropped the idea.

>What did you think about the infamous door-nob?

Why is this infamous ?

>Never really minded them since they're not too hard.

I didn't mind the moving statues and the likes. I'm referring to pick and place items type. Don't know if they are considered puzzles. They are Nonsensical and feel belong in DMC than RE. I dropped the game a couple of times due to this as they were frustrating me a lot. Honestly with huge emphasis on puzzles in this game its surprising that they are so lackluster. None of them are clever or made me change my perspective or anything like that.

107Resident Evil (1996) and later versions - Page 3 Empty Re: Resident Evil (1996) and later versions Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:24 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> distance gauging, no tension
Can't argue with personal feelings, I mean I don't share them, but hey that's the name of the game. Personally I really enjoyed the tight corridors, not knowing what's around the corner, hearing the zombie far away but not being sure how close he is - it's a nice feeling of horror for me. You could tap them with a pistol to gauge their location, and a kill was usually more a "shit, now I gotta get rid of the body...".

> upperbody focus
For Jill's jiggly juggles.

> it's a RE game
> 4 didn't have this
I mean, that was the point. RE4 was made to be something completely different, and it's why people generally note "classic RE" and "modern RE", with the latter being post-RE4. RE1, 2, 3, CVX, Remake and Zero all follow this 'backtracking' formula. It wasn't until RE4 that the series became lineair (with some dabbles later-on like in Revelations which tried to mix the two).

Did you go into REmake expecting it to play a bit like RE4?

Personally I really enjoy the whole backtracking but as you noted, only when it keeps things interesting. REmake does this pretty nicely, though I like it the most in RE3 where Nemesis just is a constant menace and there's a ton of ' choice ' moments that slightly alter the game in some way, making replays constently interesting too.

> back and forth isn't scary
You note later you played on Easy, so not sure if it applies to that setting, but that is the opposite for me and I'm surprised to hear this. RE2 and CVX do suffer from this, but REmake constantly spawns new enemies, respawns enemies (Crimson) and remixes the population after specific events making once safe places unsafe. I never feel safe.
RE3 has Nemesis to mix it up as noted, which is neat.

> Hard mode
The game gets quite a bit of extra difficulty per setting, ChrisHard is a whole level of its own in that sense, especially once you stack on the bonus difficulty modifiers (invisible enemies and such). If you're going to replay, I'd suggest Normal Mode first.

> limited movement
I often see talk on Twitter that the limited movement or tank-controls are 'dated' and holding the games back, but honestly once you adapt to them you're very mobile and can avoid enemy attacks easily. It has a bit of a learningcurve, sure, but it isn't limited in my book. Same with RE4. TEW1 has great controls but I don't feel like the addition of strafing, running or move+shoot added much.

> doornob
There's a doornob of a door that, if you use the door too often, will break. It's pretty infamous for fucking players over that forget about it during a run, resulting in them having to run halfway across the world to get to the other side with Hunters everywhere.

108Resident Evil (1996) and later versions - Page 3 Empty Re: Resident Evil (1996) and later versions Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:46 pm

Memes of Monsoon

Memes of Monsoon
D-Rank

>Did you go into REmake expecting it to play a bit like RE4?

Nope. I did have high expectations though since it was made during Capcom's golden age and mikami directed it.

>but it isn't limited in my book.

I don't have any issues with controls. I meant since the movement is limited the traversal isn't an interesting aspect. If the game had some movement mechanics like jumping or anything that was more than just hold forward then maybe backtracking wouldn't have bothered me.

> I don't feel like the addition of strafing, running or move+shoot added much.

It's intuitive. 4 takes some time to get accustomed to its controls whereas EW doesn't. Also if your aiming is good then you can make gameplay more stylish. I don't have a problem with either approaches as long as the gameplay is good.

>It's pretty infamous for fucking players over that forget about it during a run

i had the shotgun so it didn't bother me.

109Resident Evil (1996) and later versions - Page 3 Empty Re: Resident Evil (1996) and later versions Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:40 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor

>For Jill's jiggly juggles.
Works for me.

>RE4
One of the best games EVER.

>offscreen enemies
Love them. Especially in action games. Bonus points if they have projectiles.

110Resident Evil (1996) and later versions - Page 3 Empty Re: Resident Evil (1996) and later versions Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:34 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak
Expert on The Evil Within

>REmake underwhelming
If you find this underwhelming I would hate to see what you think of Silent Hill.

>my game's ruined
Not at all. I typically don't burn bodies unless I'm doing a kill run or playing as Chris. You don't need to do it at all, just makes certain routes much safer.

>Evil Within best Mikami game
Based.

>dated controls
It's funny when I see people say stuff like this when new games like Callisto Protocol have controls that feel like sluggish shit.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum