You are not connected. Please login or register

HABR.com stealing Stinger articles

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1HABR.com stealing Stinger articles Empty HABR.com stealing Stinger articles Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:46 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Was one of the original users
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Hey guys!

So I'm not really sure what to do. Habr, a Russian IT website, with over 22 million hits per month, has decided to steal and translate one of my recent articles. On the one hand, it is fantastic to see one of my articles get so much love and see it get nearly 30.000 views in a day over there with tons of discussions and praise (and of course critique). On the otherhand, they never asked, and the link to the original source is really, really small and most will just miss it.

Here's the link: https://habr.com/ru/company/playgendary/blog/477584/

I'm not really sure what, or even if, I should anything about this. It is harmless, and I don't do this for fame and fortune. But it does stink and sting. Any takers? Cheers!

https://stinger.actieforum.com

2HABR.com stealing Stinger articles Empty Re: HABR.com stealing Stinger articles Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:51 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor

Could try to get into contact with them and ask for the original source to be more obvious.

Know anyone who speaks Russian?

3HABR.com stealing Stinger articles Empty Re: HABR.com stealing Stinger articles Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:02 am

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
A-Rank

You aren't joking about the link to the original being small - I still can't find it.

It's brilliant so many eyes have seen your article but they're cheeky bastards for blatantly stealing it. Birdman's advice is solid - I know I'd be really angry if someone re-posted all of my work without permission, so I'd probably have more of a "going in all guns blazing" approach, haha.

4HABR.com stealing Stinger articles Empty Re: HABR.com stealing Stinger articles Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:29 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor

Yeah just throw them a message and see how it goes.

I'd be interested to know what kind of comments it got over there too.

I've had something similar with speedrunners using my discoveries, so what I'd do is send a friendly message and see how they respond. In all cases (though there haven't been that many) the runner has given me full credit and even gone as far as to put my name in the videos or links to my YT.

I don't actually care for all that, only that they acknowledge where they got their tech from. No interest in viewers for the sake of number, only want to share tech and get the word out really.

I'd say since they did give the original source Roy, it seems they weren't out to steal your article. Maybe they just felt that the link was enough.

5HABR.com stealing Stinger articles Empty how come Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:23 am

What made you aware of this? Did someone shoot you a mail? Just a common search?

6HABR.com stealing Stinger articles Empty Re: HABR.com stealing Stinger articles Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:42 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I'm probably going to end up shooting the company, Playgendary, that uploaded my article there. See how it goes!

@Zenyn
I use an analytics tool (Jetpack) that shows me where my traffic is coming from. I noticed some being redirected to my site through HABR, did some digging and there you go.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum