Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Was one of the original users
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Elden Ring looking basically what I expected. Dark Souls with a bit Bloodborne/Sekiro speed, and a horse.

Can't deny the upcoming quality though, but my nagging desire that I'd just wish for the studio to do something truly new keeps growing.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

2Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:33 pm

hedfone

hedfone
A-Rank
Veteran

This game met my expectations exactly. From the designs, to the combat, it looks like some one typed in "new FromSoftware game" into a game generator, and it spit this out.

>nagging desire that I'd just wish for the studio to do something truly new

Play Shadow Tower Abyss and King's Field 4. You can emulate them for free easily and remap the controls in the emulator so they aren't so janky.
My favorite From games next to Dark and Demon's Souls.
They are true hidden gems.

3Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:53 pm

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

It's exactly what I expected, but I'm looking forward to it. It'll be nice to see a Souls game made by the people that know how to do the style best, as opposed to all the other attempts on the market.

4Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:07 am

hebass

C-Rank

Hell yah, I saw this today too. Definite purchase for me. Hoping it leans more in Bloodborne direction, but we shall see. Didn't see any shields!

5Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:56 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I mean. It's...Souls. I have zero emotions towards this one haha, anyone excited for this game?

6Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:34 pm

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
A-Rank

Weirdly, this is the most interested I've been in a Souls title, and I'm not really sure why. I like the use of colours and effects. Maybe the other Souls titles are like that and I just didn't play them enough to know. It's hard to say whether I'll take a chance on this one, knowing how much I struggle to enjoy the "genre", but who knows... we'll see.

7Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:29 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak
Expert on The Evil Within

Looks exactly as I expected: Dark Souls 3 DLC with some light Sekiro additions like “stealth” and jumping. Basically a “greatest hits” of FromSoft which spans the last 12 years.

I’ll be there day 1, but it’s hard to be legitimately excited with how familiar it all seems.

8Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:16 pm

RedShot

B-Rank

No D1 for me, but I'll probably buy it when they release the "complete edition".
It should be at least a decent action-rpg even if I couldn't see an original mechanic in the entire video.
It's Dark Souls 4, the same formula since DeS with some little variations along the way. Sekiro is the only game that is different enough from Souls, buy you can still see fragments of that system even there.

By the way, From's fanboys are so easy to satisfy, just as I (we all) expected.

9Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:20 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

>from’s fanboys easy to satisfy
They’re foaming at the mouth. I love the series but I can’t understand people being so hyped for this.

10Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:29 am

vert1

vert1
C-Rank

FromSoft really delivering on a Dark Zelda. I am focused on the field traversal and its connectivity because this was a major weakpoint of "Dark Zelda" (Twilight Princess), which otherwise had fantastic environments (well, dungeons). Really depends on how they handle save points but considering there is fast travel it may just end up feeling like dead space. I don't think fighting or scavenging in the field against common enemies really belongs in this type of game unless it draws attention; the encounters to evading stalkers or field bosses on the ride back to save at a homebase GTA3-style could be very cool given the stamina system and the not totally open world design.

The horse is very convenient being made of energy and having such great turnability. If you had to leave it outside the dungeon it could better function as a strategic resource but I guess it's easier not to have to babysit. How do you all think the multiplayer will be?

11Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:38 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> mechanics
I already fear the idea of "a SL125 monster" that roams the open world. Wouldn't be surprised if that happens.
Mostly worried about all this emphasis on combat though, I see a lot of abilities and combat nuances in a series that keeps focusing on combat, while the combat is without a doubt the weakest link in the series. The openworld mostly worries me in terms of combat as well. Souls always had pretty nifty 'traps' and encounters, now that you can approach them from every angle in an open space with the ability to just run away, enemies either need a severe movement boost or they'll just be outpaced in every way possible.

Their level design will probably be great though.

> multiplayer
It'll probably still be obtuse, despite Nioh really elevating the formula to a new level. Once you've done online in Nioh it's really hard to get back to Souls imo. Sometimes easy-of-access is better than 'having it be grounded in the lore'. I do hope the PvP won't be a catalyst for balance-changes again.

> easy to please
It gives them something to look forward to, but at this point it's super hard for me to get excited at what is basically "the same game but with these additions". I wonder how long it will take for the community at large to also tire of the studio, like players did with let's say Resident Evil at the time before RE4.

Should note though, it looks great. Just, I've played this game already. 10 years ago. In 6 different releases.

12Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:08 pm

HotPocketHPE

HotPocketHPE
C-Rank

Agree with what was said here. Stuff like the open dungeons seem cool, and I've got it in me to play a new Souls game, so l'll probably pick it up. But it looks like they still aren't fixing the core problems of the combat-heavy focus, then again they haven't done so since DS2 so it's not really surprising.

I'll probably try magic, seems like you can do fun stuff with the summons in this one. Overall not hyped or anything, but I'll have a good time when I play it.

13Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:55 pm

HotPocketHPE

HotPocketHPE
C-Rank

After watching network test footage I'm way more impressed than I thought I would be. Actually really looking forward to this game now!

14Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:55 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I admit too to warming up to it more, the latest reveals and gameplay footage make it look more like a souped-up Dark Souls 1 than anything else, which is a good thing. Still tempering my expectations though, but it's looking good.

15Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:31 pm

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
A-Rank
God of War
Expert on all things God of War

>souped-up
>souped
Funny. Good ol' English.  I'll try to weigh in when I finish with various footage I've seen.  Observations made, things I wish were the case, things unseen as of yet, etc.

16Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:29 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor

Is there a bow?

17Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:05 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I'd think so, to what extent you can use it in terms of mobility (like on horseback) I'm unsure.

18Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:32 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Might look up the latest videos. Haven't really been following it.

I imagine there will be ranged options. If not bows then some kind of magic.

19Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:51 am

Maddison Baek

Maddison Baek
D-Rank

>from’s fanboys easy to satisfy

I'm hyped for this but not because of the gameplay itself. I believe FROM won't likely deliver the combat system that is deep as Team Ninja's takes on Souls-like games or even The Surge 2, even though Elden Ring seems like have all the positive aspects of all previous works(maybe except BB). The exploration aspect will likely be the most enjoyable part, but it will lose its merit after several playthroughs. (Not that I'm devaluing it. First playthroughs are the most important part anyway)

I'm super hyped for this game because I can't wait to see FROM's fucked-up creature desgins roaming in this world. That's what I'm craving. I mean, have you seen the character design of the multi-limbed king? That guy looks nightmarish as Ludwig! Especially for the animators lmao

https://maddison-baek.itch.io/magenta-horizon

20Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:08 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Really hoping there's super long range sniping of some kind.

21Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:36 am

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
A-Rank
God of War
Expert on all things God of War

^Doubt it. I was surprised they made an input like charging canceled into an evade does an evade attack (like the old kick replacement moves). People were calling it a feint, but that's not really what's going on strictly speaking.

22Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:35 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

So with Elden Ring coming out tomorrow(?), who's playing it? I might pick it up if I can find a decent deal, but I'm still doubtful.

23Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:15 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

I want it after seeing it has bows but the PS4 version will probably run like trash. Same for Horizon 2.

24Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:59 am

Maddison Baek

Maddison Baek
D-Rank

I'm gonna play it on Day 1. May it live up to the hype.

25Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:53 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I bought a copy on impulse, should arrive tomorrow!

26Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:30 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

I’m getting it but probably won’t play until Sunday. Mad

27Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:47 pm

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
A-Rank

I am tempted. Would love for there to be a game that converts me into a Souls fan, but not found it yet. I've read that this is considered to be the most "accessible" one yet, so I might pick up.

28Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:55 pm

HotPocketHPE

HotPocketHPE
C-Rank

I bought this, will let you all know.

29Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:51 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Anyone on PS4 pro? Think it's worth getting if PS5 won't be a possibility for a very long time?

30Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:12 am

Maddison Baek

Maddison Baek
D-Rank

Okay, this game slaps as a FROM game. I beat three big bosses for now and am stuck at the academy level. Here are some neat things and nitpicks I want to say about. (I'll try to minimize the spoiler as hard as I can)

-For now, the biggest strength in Elden Ring is the feeling of "Alright, I followed the way the grace pointed out and I'm here...but, there's NO WAY I HAVE TO GET THROUGH THERE NOW". There are some points in this game where the main threat can make the player halt for obvious difficulty spike. One was the first main boss from the first legacy dungeon and the second was what I'm currently facing at this academy, which I won't tell. This alone feels like the Darksouls 1's catacomb situation. FROM is pushing us to other places without actually telling us about it. And I love that the nuance is finally back.

-Open world is not as dense as I've imagined. Yes, there are many enemy encounters, but unless you want to feel good about it or refill your estus, there's no reason to engage them so it's mostly a waste of time. But they sure hide SO MANY IMPORTANT THINGS in this open world. I'm currently playing as a mage-knight and I found the "magic teacher" NPC at 10-hour mark, hidden in a fucking dungeon that I bypassed! Holy shit, FROM is actively hiding good content for the feeling of good discovery, so kudos for their bold decision.  

-So far the two legacy dungeons feel like the Darksouls 2 DLC level design. There is one obvious path that you must follow through, but there are so many side branches to take note of for hidden items, gears, and even hidden challenges. Also, I feel like FROM finally decided to stop the players from blindly rushing through the corridors to escape the enemies. They are actively putting explosive barrels and narrow corridors in the player's path lmao

-Grouped giant enemies (like trolls and golems) can kill each other with good positioning and baiting. Nice.

- I fought 3 big bosses. From what I've experienced, FROM is charging up the difficulty with the boss's chain pattern system. Remember Orphan of Kos or Gael? "Oh, it's not the end of the attack chain" combos were their biggest factor of the difficulty, and these "early" bosses are already showing that. Scary.  

-Without spoiling the name, I think the demigod one is the best one out of all 3. He is mainly melee-based and quite slow. and as I said, he also chains different attack patterns for a good amount of complexity. What I like about this fight is that there are attacks that can be dodged with the jump, and if you time it well, you can punish him twice with your jump attack options during the attack animation. There's a window to actually break the mold of "your turn, my turn" and I liked it. The character design and the phase change cutscenes are both fucking great too.  

-I don't know if this is the right decision or not, but literally, every champion enemy I met feels like the previous game's bosses in terms of pattern complexity and difficulty. On one hand, this is the right way to make sure players be careful about exploring. Stealthy approaches can be important because of that. On the other hand... Holy shit, it feels awful to fight Arotias after Artorias.  

So yeah. I'm very positive. If this loop goes on till the end, I can give the title "Better Than Bloodborne" to this game.

31Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:47 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

For me it's a bit the reverse, I like the game (and will keep spoilers to an absolute minimum) but so far it's probably the worst in the series for me, maybe better than DS3. My main reason for this is quality>quantity. I've played 13 hours now and so far everything just sorta blends together in terms of combat. Enemies all function nearly identically, there's a ton of re-used movesets and all the bosses I've fought are the exact same variation of either "big guy, hit the legs", "sword guy, go light and learn roll pattern" and "big guy, use shield and block until opening". They're sorta fun, and the new checkpoint system helps a ton in experimentation, but they're still just all trying to one-up the Artorias fight in a sense mechanically.

I know it's beating a dead horse, but despite them being bad bosses, I really miss the weirder ones like Bed of Chaos, Dragon God, Maiden Astrae and things like that. Here, everytime I see I boss I just think "welp here we go again".

Level design is also barely existant, with most dungeons just being a straight lineair hallway, sometimes two ways to go. There's no real intricacy there.

What there is though: is a whole lot of world. The game is absolutely massive, and despite re-using a lot of stuff, you rarely encounter the same thing twice in a row and a lot of optional caves have unique puzzels/methods of finding them and it all feels fresh constantly. THere's a lot to find and FROM really dared to just hide essentials away constantly. I really would recommend playing as a Wretched so you start with nothing and just have to scavange what you can find, it's great. The crafting system is a bit unnecssary though.

Also love the sense of exploration, with a ton of unique vistas and each having their own enemy types, look and feel, treasure etc. You really feel like an explorer. I personally went south immediately and had a blast, my first boss was one named Leonine, which I later read was recommend to be tackled way later (which is probably why it took me so long to kill him....). You can really just do whatever you want.

The game also has probably the most fun 'trap' in the series, with some 'things' being able to teleport you way across the world to an end-game location. This is super cool and really makes you feel like a daring explorer.

My absolute biggest gripe though is that action-RPGs just suck for me now after seeing Kingdom Hearts ace it. The fact that you're constantly gatekept from end-game content purely due to damage-values annoys me, and limits exploration beyond the expected bounds. Sure, you could technically do it, but you'll be dealing 0.001% damage against a boss that will OHKO you. Really wish they'd found other ways of doing this.

So far the exploration really is the highlight for me, but once the combat starts I'm pretty much zoning out to be honest. I have to say I do like the addition of the block-followup. But yeah really, I am pretty low level still because I barely engage in fights and just explore, loot and go in caves and fortresses and shit. And honestly that's a fucking blast. I was just mezmerized exploring around and seeing the (once again) fantastic art-design.

I don't see myself replaying this game though, feels more tuned for that initial giant-playthrough where you look in every nook an cranny.

32Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:24 pm

Maddison Baek

Maddison Baek
D-Rank

- with most dungeons just being a straight lineair hallway, sometimes two ways to go.

I think that's how FROM is handling the small dungeons and ruins in this game. Considering that they have a level design manufacturing method of Chalice Dungeon, they are utilizing again with a new coat. But I thought the big dungeons like stormveil castle and the academy were so vertically huge that there were many rooms to explore. Maybe that legacy dungeons might change your mind about that.

-Special boss like maiden astrae and etc

Oh, don't worry. There's one. It looked fantastic. (Although the gimmick is a reused version of certain previous gimmick boss's mechanic which I won't mention)  

-Leonine

Wow, that boss was your first BIG one? That sounds tough. For me, that was the third big boss and I HATED that fight. He is fast and hard-hitting, and most of all, literally every attack is god damn tracking attack! (both horizontal spinning and zoning) Is positioning even meaningful for this guy? Then again, I was using a rapier back then. Maybe staggering him would have made some difference.

- The fact that you're constantly gatekept from end-game content purely due to damage-values annoys me, and limits exploration beyond the expected bounds.

After some exploration on the eastern side, I kinda agree. Though I'm not sure is it even possible to balance out this issue. Even BOTW couldn't solve this (and their solution was even worse than this game imo). How did Kingdom Hearts ace this problem? I haven't played it yet, so....

-I don't see myself replaying this game though, feels more tuned for that initial giant-playthrough where you look in every nook an cranny.

Honestly, I can see that only pvp players and alternative ending seekers will remain after the new game+. This game is seemingly never-ending, and I can see most people burning out after one playthrough.

- but once the combat starts I'm pretty much zoning out to be honest.

Yeah, after fighting several humanoid goons both on horseback and on the ground, I'm slowly getting sick of it. Then again, that's bound to happen since FROM's combat system is still on the simpler side. All I wish is to see new types of monsters and cool bosses. And if they are gonna drop a new weapon, I hope they are already reinforced or something. It is PAIN to find the materials in this game.

33Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:32 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Bow options look nice. Long range shots, jumping shots. I could have some fun with this.

34Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:45 pm

5does

C-Rank
Veteran

This game outside of dungeons reminds me more of nightmare level YS than a actual souls game(as in you spend most of your time in overworld maps evading every single random mob).In souls games you can basically tackle on the vast majority of mobs the game throw onto you and there is a certain feel of progression as you go through places. In Elden Ring most of the time just boils down to Blitz down with your Horse through everything and find small places that you can get in safaley because whatever you fight inside there won't be nearly as bullshit as the shit roaming around the overworld.

Random thoughts:
-I don't play Souls games so who knows what this game is doing better than the others.
-Jump is cool, jump attack is cool and is actually good.
-Ghost Donkey double jump is probably the coolest thing From has conceived in a Souls game.
-I wish I could find rewards that aren't talisman seeing I only have one slot for it.
-I like the Ash Art or whatever is called system, again no idea if it was in previous souls games.
-Margit was a pain in the ass, unsure if it's a mix of me sucking at souls games or him being actually hard but it felt like fighting an HnS character with weird hitboxes, massive sweeps and a fucking light attack that somehow puts him in a plus advantage regardless of whatever move he threw before.
-Finding dungeons is fun but the process of finding literally nothing for a while until you find something fun isn't particularly fun. The open world is like a middle tier between Bethesda title and a dogshit overworld like Nier:Automata.
-Most of the QoLs people kept crying about making the game casual seems like actual necessities considering the complexity of the map.
-The game is optimzed like ass on computer but outside tweakings can make it playable even on below minimum specs, most of the people.

35Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:43 am

HotPocketHPE

HotPocketHPE
C-Rank

>Birdman
I'm gonna do magic/ranged, like you said bow seems to have cool stuff.

36Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:01 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

@ maeed

> Leonine
Yeah aside from the tutorial he was the first boss-meter I saw. After leaving the tutorial area I saw some sparkles south (just turned out to be birds) and just kept on going. Eventually found that girl who asked me to go to the castle and the game just kept feeding me content until I reached it. I was surprised by how 'organic' it all happened.

Balance does seem to be an issue and again shows why RPG elements can suck the fun out of it. A friend of mine just did that area and he absolutely smashed it since he was overleveled and overgeared (gear level seems to have a way bigger impact this time around).

> how does KH do it
Basically, you barely have stats (the increases are minor) with most of your builds coming from gear. Gear impacts stats in a BIG way in KH, from damage output to how strong you magic is to how much mana you have, it's all tied to your weapon+rings. This means that you can technically be every build at any time, but at the same time makes crafting more impactful (only way to make certain items) and exploration key (good way to find new gear). Some worlds hit a bit harder or have more foes, or are vulnerable to certain abilities you won't have yet until later. Some areas or bosses give you new abilities/gear, like you learning Lightning in the Colleseum area, which is handy for the Jungle, but you can do Jungle first if you want.

In the end game, for example if you equip three str-rings and the strongest keyblade, you're a melee build. But if you equip three rings that boost mana, and a keyblade that boosts mana, you're now a caster (since magic damage scales of mana). They kept the stats in the back pretty simple with just three categories (strength, mana, health).

In Souls you're kinda just always looking for that sweet spot now, a problem I also had with Nioh. I was either underleveled, making it a grind, or overleveled and everything just died in seconds - rarely that sweetspot of challenge and enjoyment.

> boss design Marit
Just beat him yesterday, not a fan. Aside from having insane recovery the guy often just straight up does 180 turns. Like you noted with Leonine, you can't do spacing or positioning. It's all about "do I roll on time" which isn't really combat I'm interested in anymore. Thinking of going the magic-route to skip these types of bouts.

> i just wanna see new monsters etc.
Have the EXACT same feeling. Seeing new areas, new animals and stuff just is wonderous. It's very inspiring just how fantastic the game's art-direction is, especially its creature and NPC design. Even something as simple as that D guy, great armour design.

@5does

> what it's doing better than others
It's the newest, hence the best, right? All in all, as noted so far it's probably the worst in the series in my eyes. I fear people will turn on this game pretty badly once the hype dies down.

> talismen slots
You can unlock more lateron. I have two now.

> ahs art system
Like it too, also that they impact what way your weapon scales. I dislike that most of them are super situationally ass though. I nearly always use KICK these days.

> margit boss
This is basic souls boss design for the last 10 years now sadly. Once players got used to "oh I just have to dodgeroll", FROM has been upping it by having enemies have insane tracking and a ton of similar looking strings that you have to dodge for a single punish down the line. There's some creativity possible (parries for example) but it's still pretty limiting.

37Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:23 am

HotPocketHPE

HotPocketHPE
C-Rank

>Roy
I'm doing magic right now, absolutely do it. I beat Margit today, it's hilarious to hear him spout off quotes about how foolish you are as he attacks ghost wolves in the corner.

So far I am loving the game. It almost feels like a minmaxed FromSoft game, the exploration is godly while the melee combat I am avoiding as much as possible. The key for me is to play into that, run magic/ranged and you can lean on the RPG side of action RPG a lot more. I can see this game not being super replayable, but I'm kinda okay with that because of how nuts the open world is.

38Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:51 pm

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

From what I've read and seen it does seem like they didn't change much in terms of boss and enemy design, but apparently there should be more parriable attacks against bosses and the counter attack with the shield, plus the jump with iframes for more defensive variety. For those who played the game, do these help in making the defensive game more interesting or is rolling and poking with light attack still the best option in most cases?

39Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:40 am

Maddison Baek

Maddison Baek
D-Rank

Alright, 40 hours right now. I’m still amazed by the new things FROM throwing at me. That “later” level wasn’t even the late part and I’m screaming “How the hell it is still going ON?!” Also, I decided to use magic more often. From what I’ve been through, I feel like FROM is actively pushing us to use both magic and melee for our benefits. (In this case, magic also includes ranged weapon arts and spirit summoning) it might be FROM’s intentional design choice or a weird accident, but here’s why I think like that.
- Because of the enemy tracking issue (which seems even more outrageous than DS2 or DS3), pure melee fights are pain in the ass.
- Melee fights are even more awful when the opponent is a camera eating monstrosity. (Wyverns are cute compared to the big monsters you will face later) You need to distance from them to see what they are actually doing.
- There are many enemies that can react and dodge the player’s magic spells, meaning that FROM knew that players will use some magic stuff.
- There is a perma-upgrade item that can increase the memory slots of players. And that item is scattered around the world. You get one by one, and you’ll have plenty of empty memory slots.
- Several types of ranged-based weapon arts exist.
- The second big place you’ll likely visit is a magic academy. You can find some useful spells there.
- You can even reinforce the summonable spirits.

And yeah, I think after accepting the mindset that “magic is not cheating” this game became more interesting and even more enjoyable. I tried to summon different types of spirits, level up int to use some powerful magic, and use whatever I got at each big encounter. And it was great! Using magic didn’t feel like cheat at all because almost all enemies have a counter measure for ranged options or their attack animation themselves can cover long-range. There’s other demigod boss I won’t name, (Hope someone can talk about this boss fight later, so I’ll just leave a hint that he really loves his horse) and I think he was designed to be borderline impossible to be played as a pure melee duel. Instead, with the build I had (magic&scythe build) and the situation of the battlefield made the boss fight an interesting resource management test.

>is rolling and poking the best option?

My answer is probably no. It works for normal enemies and the early bosses, but when you are dealing with later bosses, you will never give enough damage with that method while the boss is charging you like freight train that Is magnetically pulling towards to you. Honestly if people can beat the “big” bosses with simple poke&roll method, they have both a precision of a surgeon and an endurance of diamonds. (Or they are too over-leveled)

40Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:17 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Played about 2 hours using longbow.

Mighty Shot is nice. Range in general is good.

But I'm running out of arrows too much to enjoy it. Got the recipe but don't want to hunt animals for parts.
The shopkeeper has some so it's kind of OK but I want millions.

Coming across stuff I can't damage enough with my current bow and find I'd rather just run past and hope I find something useful. They're like bosses just running around the open parts.

But what then? come back and just one shot them? Boring. There's no use of terrain.

Are there poison arrows?

I like the wolf summon.

41Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:33 am

Maddison Baek

Maddison Baek
D-Rank

> Are there poison arrows?
There are. And there are sleeping arrows too. (If you make them fall in sleep, you can kill or crit-damage them with melee) Not sure if they can work on the big enemies though.

42Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:45 am

HotPocketHPE

HotPocketHPE
C-Rank

>Enemies dodging magic/ranged
I was pleasantly surprised, it's not like they are super good at it but you can't just mindlessly spam magic missile on every enemy without wasting a ton of mana. Multi-projectile spells still destroy though, enemies usually don't dodge it correctly and will eat some of the hits.

>Roll and light attack
Like Maddison said it's just not worth it, you can do it technically but the strings are so long/tracking/varied/... it would just be insanely annoying. IDK if it makes the defensive game more interesting, I've basically opted out of it lol. Jumping is actually cool since you can avoid lower hitboxes and do the jump attacks that drain poise, that's probably the part I like the most.

>Birdman

>Arrows
There are a bunch of merchants that sell unlimited basic arrows. Poison arrows are in, probably all the status/damage types have arrows.

>Terrain
I've actually been getting some rudimentary use from it. A lot of the enemies with melee movesets either can't hit you at all from below or "don't like" height differences, as in the AI will get attacks stuck on terrain or interrupted by a fall animation. Now that you can jump freely it's way easier to consistently leverage this.

43Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:26 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Very glad I borrowed this.

Got the same exhausted feeling wandering these open spaces as all the others.

Not even finding the bow fun to use.

44Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:39 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

It's funny that despite this probably being their biggest offering, it's also the most constrictive in terms of application. As noted if you're going towards a singular playstyle you're going to be absolutely gutted and have a ton of very frustrating encounters ahead (something I'm noticing more and more).

It's interesting that there's now more items that actually do things, like items that fire magic or the ability to make nearly infinite bombs. The summons also work wonders and seem a great non-scaling option (tho limited by where you're allowed to use them).

> terrain
The jump is pretty nice, you can jump up high ledges forcing enemies to jump too, giving a free punish.

Just beat Geodrick, which was again a "let's just put a boss with as many safe moves as possible in there". Can't imagine doing him with a slow weapon outside of maybe parry. I kinda let my rottendog do the work, such a nice pooch.

I am feeling a bit of a downer more and more though regarding the flow. It really is "wander around aimless until you find the funzone", and at first that funzone is everywhere, but that slowly dwindles.

45Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:35 pm

5does

C-Rank
Veteran

>I dislike that most of them are super situationally ass though
They'd have much more use if the majority of them weren't so unsafe on a game where even blind people have perfect tracking on you.

>Godrick
Actually found him to be much more bearable than no summon Margit and a lot of the optional bosses(that often include Leonine variants). You get some free heavy jumps on him here and there where the most you can take in return is his wind/flame charge up. He also has a reliable pattern where walking up to him during the charge up or roll animation will force him to do the jump attack which you can just walk forward to dodge.

>doing with a heavy weapon
I'm running a str build with heavy axes, it was doable with jumping heavy spam, which is also unsurprisingly the best move in 99% of the encounters since it absolutely crashes stamine.

>gutted builds
Been noticing this, the difficulty of an encounter is usually dependant on how fast I can get mobs on their knees and how many summons I can get out to keep pressure on their stamina. Multiple enemies at once and mobs that are immune to stagger are a nightmare to fight against. I'll probably start speccing magic now to get better summon outs and have some utility magic around, good use for the flasks too considering later on you get like 9 of them and in a lot of fights you never get to use half of them due to how damaging the stuff that kill you are.

One thing to note is that the game seems geared towards most people having one big playthrough alone so apparently you can respec without a lot of trouble and there are ways to get two copies of each boss soul for weapon completion.

46Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:00 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

I got PS+ and some guy entered my world to kill me. Ran in circles for a while and he left. Need to figure out how to turn this feature off.

47Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:46 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Seems this was an NPC. Though it was a real person. They dodged any time I shot them.

Without enough arrows to fight anything I end up running around for an hour achieving nothing.

48Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:29 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Played a lot further, combat is growing a bit on me now that I'm spamming jumping-fierce which is just...insanely broken. Quick recovery, massive hitstun, leads to crumples, just the bomb haha.

49Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:09 pm

5does

C-Rank
Veteran

Really interested on seeing what people here have to talk about Radahn Fantasy 14.

50Elden Ring Empty Re: Elden Ring Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:35 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Damn 5does putting in the work, I'm not even close to there I think haha. Still exploring around.

EDIT: I do believe an SL1 run in this game could be potentially really interesting, as most of your damage output comes from weapon-upgrades and there are methods to increase your stats through Runes and Talismen.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum