You are not connected. Please login or register

Sin & Punishment and Sin & Punishment 2:Star Successor

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Veteran
Was one of the original users

It's an on rails 3rd person shooter.It was made by Treasure games for the N64 in 2000 and also re-released for wii and wiiU digital stores, its sequel was released for the wii in 2009 due to sales of the re-release. This is the type of game that inspired P.N.03 and vanquish to a tea.

Just like pretty much all Treasure games it has tons of bosses, some really unique and outlandish.

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic

I have the N64 version and love it. One of the best games I've played. The controls are a bit complicated at first kinda like Gun Valkyrie.

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

I'm gonna get the wii version soon, I've known about them especially 2 for a while. I love a good rail shooter, arcade type shooters are my favourite shooters.
Have you seen 2? I love that boss guy who turns into a bunch of sea creatures, Armon Ritter he's called, cool name.

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I really should give this game a shot, right? I mean everytime I look at it I think "but it's just a railshooter" but it probably is just so so so much more.

EDIT: If I do, which should I get? The VC game? The original on the N64 (if possible)? The sequel on the Wii?

https://stinger.actieforum.com

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor

Essentially, yes, it's still a rail shooter, but has stuff like dodging and you can use gun and melee. Not 100% always moving forward. Some parts have you in one place shooting whatever pops up like in Wild Guns.

But then, I haven't played many rail shooters so maybe everything it has this present in others.

Last edited by Birdman on Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

Get both man they fucken masterpieces. Digital versions are the same as n64, I'm gonna get the wii port. Both games are on wii U store as well.

*The story in 2 has lore nods to 1 like how you play as isa jo the son of the protagonists Saki and Airan jo. Treasure likes to have legit lore in their games for some reason, often it's quite dark and surreal like neon genesis evangelion as they seem to take story inspirations from them especially the events of sin & punishment 1.

*It's all an on rails shooting gallery, you move through levels automatically, sometimes you stop and fight a boss or fight them through the stage.
it switches to a side scroller view for a stage in 1 and also in 2, 2 has a few other perspective changes.

*in both you have a melee combo that can deflect certain projectiles.

*In 2 you can hover around the screen and have a super powerful charge shot that recharges.

*in 2, Isa(the blue boy) uses manual aim and Kachi(the pink girl) has auto aim.
Once you beat the game with both of them separately you can play isa&kachi mode which has you manually swap between them, both have separate life bars but if you die as one it's game over. It also has a coop mode that adds a second reticule for player 2 but that's it haha.

*in 2 you can use wiimote+nunchuck, classic controller or GameCube pad.
In 1 ports it's classic or GameCube.

*Super simple and super refined. Prepare for more boss fights than you can count and lots of neat stage gimmicks.
2 has no right existing but I'm so glad it does, such video game ass video games.

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

This guy knows how to play, they've done all but stage 7(last stage).

zaa / Aaro

zaa / Aaro
D-Rank

I agree with gabriel on both of these games being masterpieces. S&P2 is easily in my top 10 games. 1 is a shorter more streamlined arcade-like game clearly meant to be score attacked with bonuses and such everywhere. 2 a longer crazy action epic that's pretty much Treasure's last hurrah combining stuff from their various games. It's sort of like what the Wonderful 101 is for platinum, totally over the top game.

I feel like there's some dead air at parts in 2 but it's good enough otherwise to dismiss. The higher difficulties in these games massively differ from normal mode similar to Ninja Gaiden Black (not really enemy swaps though, more moveset changes) so highly recommend checking them out. The final boss on S&P2 hard might be the most challenging boss Treasure ever made imo, even comparing to their arcade shmups and all. For S&P2 I highly recommend mapping melee and possibly jump to a separate button.

In S&P2 not flying all the time might look redundant but they did put a scoring bonus for staying on the ground to encourage riskier grounded play close to the first game whenever possible.

Yeah EAR3033 has the best videos of S&P2 on youtube. iirc there's a lot more of these kinds of videos on nicovideo. I imagine the stage 7 is missing because you heavily milk one boss (orion tsang), the last boss is difficult to no-damage and a scoring run gets thrown away if you make a single mistake on the final scene since there's a max life bonus. Easy to get frustrated in that kind of environment.
I especially like how stage 5 works out with his scoring play. Usually there's minutes of leeching bosses for extra points as the time bonuses are too small in comparison, but this stage is an exception.

Was revisiting S&P2 recently and managed to grab a deathless clear on hard which is something I wanted to do for a long time. Intense experience as the last stages are challenging and you have a lot of pressure getting that far. imo doing the last stage deathless on Hard is more difficult than the entire game on Normal so it's a big step up. The game is so long I don't really recommend playing like this though unless you're looking for a survival challenge. Figuring out scoring strategies and such is more fun if playing single stages like EAR or mrmonkeymans vids.

I really need to get around to playing the S&P1 more. It's more tightly packed and short to revisit so should be a fun time.

https://www.youtube.com/zaarock

andthenweplay

andthenweplay
D-Rank

Sin and Punishment: Star Successor is defiantly a masterpiece. I haven't done a run in the game in about a month but it is one of the finest action games you can get wii. I am curious how the wiiU port of the game runs. The wii disc version runs nearly flawless at 60 frames per second, I would hope wiiU owners that come to the game today would be able to experience the smooth gameplay.

Question for anyone who has played the game, or is playing it do you have any favourite bosses?

I personally love fighting Hibaru Yaju (the katana weilding girl)

andthenweplay

andthenweplay
D-Rank

Dang Sin and Punishment 2 is a tough game. I have been playing the game for close to 7 or 8 years and I still have yet to one credit hard mode on this title. Some of the boss fights can just wreck me if I am not careful

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum