You are not connected. Please login or register

Cyber Shadow

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Cyber Shadow Empty Cyber Shadow Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:59 pm

Hicho9

Hicho9
D-Rank

Super excited for this one and been waiting for release for a long time.... Anyone else picking it up?

2Cyber Shadow Empty Re: Cyber Shadow Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:15 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Was one of the original users
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Looks fantastic! Might pick it up too.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

3Cyber Shadow Empty Re: Cyber Shadow Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:30 pm

Tyr

Tyr
D-Rank

I forgot about this game. I thought it would never come out. I'll certainly buy it but I won't play it soon I think (I have to play King of Cards, Curse of The Moon and Spelunky first).

It seems Jake Kaufman is behind the soundtrack, which is great news.

4Cyber Shadow Empty Re: Cyber Shadow Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:22 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak
Expert on The Evil Within

Day one. Looks awesome.

5Cyber Shadow Empty Re: Cyber Shadow Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:57 pm

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
A-Rank

Yacht Club are the Shovel Knight guys, aren't they? I still need to play that but only heard great things about it.

Game looks great, and coming out tomorrow. I'm definitely tempted...

6Cyber Shadow Empty Re: Cyber Shadow Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:35 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

I think I’m around halfway through...

It’s much more old school NG/CV than I thought it would be, in terms of mobility and normal attacks being pretty limited. You get a couple new attacks as the game goes on, like an uppercut that also shoots fire if you have meter, and a dash attack that’s a lot like flying swallow. The shuriken is pretty much as standard as it gets. Judging by the menu I have everything already and it isn’t much unfortunately.

Now here’s the weird thing: the game has subweapons, but there’s only one per level. For example, the second level ONLY has the swag blade or whatever it’s called, so no choosing what you want or deciding what to take, it’s the only one that appears in the level. It’s even more weird, because at every checkpoint, you have to buy the ability for the checkpoint to give you the subweapon back. If you get hit three times, you lose your subweapon, and you have to actually pay to get them to spawn at each checkpoint. You’re basically just using the currency to keep replenishing the same thing over and over again, which I guess is commonplace when it comes to healing items in a lot of games, but not for stuff like this. It’s a weird system.

The other subweapons are okay. One is a blaster that is more or less mega man’s buster arm(when it’s not charged it’s a little bullet, and there’s a charge shot that pierces). It’s weird though because it fires every time you swing your sword you so you don’t have a ton of control over it. There’s one that gives your sword a slight buff, I really don’t know if it does anything aside from some damage and maybe slightly more range. There’s also a shield but it’s only been in one level and I’ve barely had a chance to use it. The swag blade is by far the best, it moves around you according to your movement and momentum, and you can hit it with your sword to propel it. Wish there were more things like it.

The level design is generally good but something doesn’t feel right with this game. Something about the levels and certain enemies just seem off to me. Really can’t explain it. Was annoyed you can’t hit much of anything in the way of enemy attacks, until you get a parry. Not sure why we can’t attack enemy projectiles inherently.

There are some good enemies though. There are these little guys who have two sets of helicopter blades, if you destroy one that get off balance and start shooting randomly, you get hit them into the wall for a OHKO. Hopefully I see more stuff like this.

Also, there’s a lot of dialogue and cutscenes. It’s all skippable, and all very much in the style of OG NG. I skipped most of it so I have no idea what’s going on.

EDIT: The next level I played had more than one subweapon. The blade extender thing and some turret. I only saw one drop for each, and the turret needs to be manually aimed.

7Cyber Shadow Empty Re: Cyber Shadow Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:49 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

Finished it. Some more thoughts:

-The most glaring thing about the game is how uneven it feels. The first half of the game feels like a more methodical platformer that focuses on positioning, but the last 1/3 of the game feels like something totally different. You get the flying swallow that you can chain together for a lot of mobility, and powered up versions of all your abilities, which lets you double jump, turn parried attacks into homing projectiles, and other fun things. By the end it felt more like MMZ than anything, and it made the game feel kind of disjointed. Wish the entire game was more like the last 1/3.
-I really found the subweapons to just be borderline bad once I became powered up. They’re very scarce and the only one I really recall seeing and using in the last couple levels is the one that restores meter automatically...which doesn’t really make a lot of sense when I don’t have another subweapon to use the meter with. You need meter to throw shurikens and do slightly stronger versions of some attacks, but the fact that you can’t control which version of the attacks you’re using is annoying.
-The boss fights were some of my favorite parts, typically a lot of ways to fight back and have multiple phases.
-The flying swallow is interesting because you can use it to hop from enemy to enemy to clear rooms quickly, but you risk falling and either getting killed by OHKOs or getting swarmed by enemies. Conversely, you can play it more like a traditional game in the genre, although the game definitely seems to want you to flying swallow your way through everything.

Pretty good overall, maybe not worth $20 unless I really uncover more on my next playthrough.

8Cyber Shadow Empty Re: Cyber Shadow Mon May 03, 2021 11:28 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Was one of the original users
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Played this a bit through gamepass yesterday, fun diversion but not interesting enough that after one hour I still wanted to keep playing. I honestly felt...like I'd played this game a dozen times before which is a bit sad.

I did like the first boss and how he has unique dialogue if you kill him by jumping behind him for extra damage.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum