One Try Meta

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1One Try Meta Empty One Try Meta Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:16 pm

vert1

vert1
C-Rank

aka 'First Try Meta'

New type of run. This run consists of a first time player attempting to beat the game without ever seeing 'Game Over'. No resetting (rage-quit) or guidebooks (or any outside tips) allowed.

Who can beat games without saying they ever died or continued? Any games that you all played that in retrospect were relatively easy that would have ended this run?

What do you all think of accomplishing this run by way of 'Easy Mode'? Chaining games. Creating a deathless streak going from game to game.

2One Try Meta Empty Re: One Try Meta Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:48 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Was one of the original users
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I don't think I've ever had this in any game I ever touched because I'm way too keen on experimenting and derping around. I died nearly 30 times against the first zombie in The Evil Within II because I was just having too much fun exploring how the combat worked.

If you're going to attempt this I'd highly recommend avoiding OHKO games like platformers. Come to think of it I don't think I died a single time on my first DOOM run but I was playing on Normal. Perhaps a recent Zelda game? Skyward Sword was piss easy as I recall.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

3One Try Meta Empty Re: One Try Meta Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:18 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor

>Who can beat games without saying they ever died or continued?

I generally try not to die when I play a game first time because that just makes sense but sometimes, as Roy says, you want to experiment and taking damage/dying is part of that.

I tend to leave that stuff until later than the first enemy but sometimes I'll still do it. Really depends on the game.

4One Try Meta Empty Re: One Try Meta Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:00 am

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
A-Rank

I don't wish to criticise anybody for how they like to play their games, but I couldn't see myself going for this. Ideally I'd never die in a game, but I'm not going to pressure myself to avoid failure in a game I'm still learning to play. I think if I didn't die during my first playthrough I'd be concerned about the level of challenge a game is offering (I always start on Normal, or higher if I'm feeling brave).

5One Try Meta Empty meta sizing Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:43 am

vert1 wrote:Who can beat games without saying they ever died or continued?

I hold that as a meta-myth.
The genius player. The Asperger who could. If you can dream it you can do it. The one we all bend our knee to. The derp savior.  

Razz  Nah to all that.

6One Try Meta Empty Re: One Try Meta Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:25 am

vert1

vert1
C-Rank

Royta/Raeng wrote:I don't think I've ever had this in any game I ever touched because I'm way too keen on experimenting and derping around. I died nearly 30 times against the first zombie in The Evil Within II because I was just having too much fun exploring how the combat worked.
Huh. That's a much different mindset to start out a horror game in then I'd expect. I beat Balloon Kid [GB] in an extraordinary way on my second real attempt: I was doing well until the final level + boss where I dwindled away 20 lives turning the run into a last life situation. This had a big impact on me.

Perhaps a recent Zelda game? Skyward Sword was piss easy as I recall.
That could work. You see I was thinking over your comments in the Metroid: Other M thread about how easy the game is and was thinking about that major moment I had with Balloon Kid. What if someone played the game in a true survival horror fashion to beat on the first try? To refuse to continue. I thought about the probability of success that person would have. Could it be done? Is there anyone who could do this without being exposed to spoilers (or critical information)?

I also thought about Bayonetta, how with Automatic Mode enabled it would be a sure thing for this run, but then I remembered the QTEs. I'm not sure now...

Birdman wrote:>Who can beat games without saying they ever died or continued?

I generally try not to die when I play a game first time because that just makes sense but sometimes, as Roy says, you want to experiment and taking damage/dying is part of that.
Reasonable. Any recent examples? For myself, I distinctly remember the payoff of the absurdity of directly setting off sticky grenades in Shadows of the Damned.

Gregorinho wrote:I don't wish to criticise anybody for how they like to play their games, but I couldn't see myself going for this. Ideally I'd never die in a game, but I'm not going to pressure myself to avoid failure in a game I'm still learning to play. I think if I didn't die during my first playthrough I'd be concerned about the level of challenge a game is offering (I always start on Normal, or higher if I'm feeling brave).
Yeah, it is very stressful doing this. I am not sure how many games or how many types of games to do this for. I was thinking it would be more satisfying beating a lesser known, less quality game with the feeling of not dying once than it would be to play it through normally.

Zenyn wrote:
vert1 wrote:Who can beat games without saying they ever died or continued?

I hold that as a meta-myth.
The genius player. The Asperger who could. If you can dream it you can do it. The one we all bend our knee to. The derp savior.  

Razz  Nah to all that.
Haha.

7One Try Meta Empty Re: One Try Meta Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:00 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>Reasonable. Any recent examples?

I've mainly been playing RPGs where generally the tech is in builds and set ups, none that require purposely taking damage.

>aspergers
They generally have poor motor skills/coordination so I doubt it. Autism maybe.

I wouldn't want to purposely attempt this as a challenge though. I don't see dying in a game as a real loss. I try to avoid it because that just makes sense. Every death and bit of damage is a learning experience and I go into it with that mindset.

On action games that have mission select I'll usually replay earlier missions, sometimes the first over and over. I remember doing that with DMC3 learning how the enemies functioned and took lots of hits practicing.

8One Try Meta Empty Re: One Try Meta Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:34 am

hedfone

hedfone
A-Rank
Veteran

I know for a fact I didn't die on my first playthrough of fable 2. There was an achievement I believe.

9One Try Meta Empty Re: One Try Meta Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:15 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I think QTEs will really be the bane of some. I don't think I ever died in a Yakuza game though outside of Kiwami and Yakuza 3, the rest are so easy, especially with all the healing abilities you have.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

10One Try Meta Empty Re: One Try Meta Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:31 pm

vert1

vert1
C-Rank

This topic was made to discuss Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter. And Dead Rising - Did anyone beat the maniacs on their first attempt? I really don't know how you could.

11One Try Meta Empty Re: One Try Meta Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:59 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>And Dead Rising - Did anyone beat the maniacs on their first attempt? I really don't know how you could.

Like without any leveling up, and just running into them by accident?

12One Try Meta Empty Re: One Try Meta Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:10 pm

vert1

vert1
C-Rank

Yes, the surprise of running into them (specifically, the guys in the jeep). First playthrough, first encounter; to be able to encounter them and not die, a run without using a continue.

13One Try Meta Empty Re: One Try Meta Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:08 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

I didn't. I know I killed at least two, from memory, but didn't even encounter most of them.

I don't think it's impossible though. Just unlikely you'll even find them all and at least one of them not killing you. The jeep guys can destroy you fast.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]