You are not connected. Please login or register

Level Design

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Level Design Empty Level Design on Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:30 am

Nadster

A-Rank
This is a topic I have been thinking of for quite some time. There are all kinds of levels out there. They can even end very quickly with some type of plan. It can even be a boss fight like Jetstream Sam in Metal Gear Rising. There are some really good levels like the E1 levels in Doom, the entirety of Devil May Cry 1, and some of the maps for the Dynasty Warriors series. Do you have any maps you want to talk about? What maps do you like the best?

2Level Design Empty Re: Level Design on Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:59 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Level design is something I've always appreciated, but on a subconsious level that I couldn't quite put my finger on until I really went deep into Episode 1 of DOOM. If I had to make some picks from games, titles like Hitman Blood Money, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory and most Mario games come to mind - those type of titles really steal the show for me. The Bankheist from Chaos Theory especially is this brilliant multi layered puzzle where you can take so many paths that you want, it's fantastic.

What I love about level design the most, is the spin of ideas. You see this the most in Super Mario Galaxy and 3d World, where they just pump out a new concept nearly every level and build on that concept further and further until it climaxes in the final stage, and then on to the next. Keeps the game insanely fresh.

I dislike it when a game has a great idea for a level, and just throws it out there and never expands on it within itself or in levels afterwards. Feels like a throw-away.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

3Level Design Empty Re: Level Design on Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:12 am

Birdman

I'm a simple peasant.

I like the straightforward stuff like MGR with some little side areas, but I also don't mind slightly more open areas like what you see in Okami, so long as they aren't like the ridiculously huge open world maps.

I really like coming back to areas with new powers like in Okami and Darksiders.

Souls is good too.

4Level Design Empty Re: Level Design on Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:42 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
In action games I tend to prefer the straight and narrow though yeah.

5Level Design Empty Re: Level Design on Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:15 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
A-Rank
I tend to like smaller levels that allow for environmental stuff and change a lot. Mario Galaxy has been mentioned but that game probably has my favorite level design ever, new ideas constantly and not an inch of wasted space in any level, with difficulty that is constantly increasing.

Stuff like classic RE is some of my favorite as well, tight areas with very specific enemy placement that encourage routing and utilizing different paths depending on your inventory and the number of enemies spread around the areas.

For action games, I appreciate when games include the environment into the combat and are always changing up the size/shape of the arenas, good examples would be GoW proper and Evil Within. I don’t mind the “tunnel of enemies” design in stuff like NG2 and God Hand either, I usually just get annoyed when there’s too much non-gameplay.

6Level Design Empty Re: Level Design on Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:51 pm

Nadster

A-Rank
Good to know! Is there any Levels that you hated because of its design? I enjoy Max Payne 1 but I despise the nightmare levels.

7Level Design Empty Re: Level Design on Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:14 pm

Birdman

Knack 2 was a really good balance for me. You have the tight hallways and room to room combat arenas, but also some slightly more open areas with some out of the way bonuses.

Also all the hidden areas only accessible by small Knack, taking you to treasure boxes and sometimes hidden areas with enemies.

There's one 'level' where you're scaling a giant robot as small Knack, using parts of its body as platforms. Really impressive segment.

8Level Design Empty Re: Level Design on Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:49 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
There are always 'ugh' parts for me, mostly regarding collectibles or if there's an immortal enemy following me. Off of the top of my head, these are levels I dislike:

- Resident Evil 4 swamp
- DOOM3 elevator puzzle part (hard to explain)
- the clocktower in Warrior Within
- Air Rock in Golden Sun The Lost Age (just such a long puzzle)
- The Evil Within water sections
- The Evil Within 2 fire chapters (mostly chapter 13)
- Astral Chain's file 08 (basically just minigames)

Stuff like that.

9Level Design Empty Re: Level Design on Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:54 pm

Birdman

But is 'dislike' a level design issue?

Sometimes I hate the 'immortal' enemy thing. I hated RE2 remake's Mr. X, but not Haunting Ground or Dead Space.

I believe this is due to DS and HG having mechanics designed specifically to not only deal with these types, but to do so in cool ways, where Mr. X doesn't seem to have anything but shoot him till he drops or run a certain distance.

HG has lots of hiding places like closets or under beds, but also tons of on the fly stuff like just standing behind a door or crouching somewhere, not to mention the numerous delay options with Hewie, traps and items.

Dead Space was really cool. When I first encountered that prick it was so stressful and oppressive. Seeing it regen so quickly while trying to figure out how to escape/kill it. I remember going through a thought process lead by the mechanics. Shot off its legs to stop it from moving but it wasn't enough so I completely dismembered it. Then it hit me. STASIS. I was so freaking out that I just forgot all about it. Used it to slow its regen and keep it where I wanted. It was a really interesting, and in the end enjoyable experience.

10Level Design Empty Re: Level Design on Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:20 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
I think it really just depends on the levels and wheither they align with my taste. The swamp in RE4 is an excellent level, but I just tire of it for some reason. I always have that one section in a game where, upon replays, I kind of hope it was a dream that section was in the game and I don't have to do it.

I'm almost done with HG btw I think, just threw Ricardo off a roof.

11Level Design Empty Re: Level Design on Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:21 am

Birdman

>taste
Yeah same for me. There are always segments don't enjoy or even outright despise.

>HG
Nice. That must have been the boss fight.
How are you finding the game so far?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum