vert1
Paul Allen's Profile
nepu47
Royta/Raeng
Hyperfist/Malcar
Golden_GustVerse
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Interesting videos on design Empty Interesting videos on design Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:29 am

Golden_GustVerse

Golden_GustVerse
D-Rank

Sure, no videos are perfect, but the core ideas in them are really interesting to me and it's a bit hard to find vids like these.

2Interesting videos on design Empty Re: Interesting videos on design Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:01 am

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

I like the BogHog one. Good action games should have you compete with your enemies for something (most of the time screen space), otherwise you end up with a toothless game.

3Interesting videos on design Empty Re: Interesting videos on design Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:21 pm

Golden_GustVerse

Golden_GustVerse
D-Rank

Malcar wrote:I like the BogHog one. Good action games should have you compete with your enemies for something (most of the time screen space), otherwise you end up with a toothless game.

Sorry for late reply, do you know other vids like these?

4Interesting videos on design Empty Re: Interesting videos on design Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:44 pm

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

I only managed to think of one. It's about animations in action games and it's pretty good.

5Interesting videos on design Empty Re: Interesting videos on design Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:46 pm

Golden_GustVerse

Golden_GustVerse
D-Rank

Malcar wrote:I only managed to think of one. It's about animations in action games and it's pretty good.

Oh yeah! It's good indeed.

6Interesting videos on design Empty Re: Interesting videos on design Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:03 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Was one of the original users
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Always liked that animation video, animation is mostly my job (or used to be, kinda eased out of it) and it's cool to see how much he nailed a lot of aspects as a layman. One thing that I found interesting was when I was a tester for Untamed, the tactical rpg from a mate of mine. We had an issue where the game felt very sluggy or weird, but turns out the whole reason was because enemies reacted too fast to being hit, causing overlap and making it all feel very messy. A few frames later, and the animations were gold, which was an interesting experience for me.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

7Interesting videos on design Empty Re: Interesting videos on design Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:56 pm

nepu47

nepu47
C-Rank

I`ll make it clear. Under the mayo`s extreme takes are not agreeable even to me. Especially his approach to sifu`s update was horrible, but I always like his core concept that any gamers can improve themselves if the game slightly nudges to the point. Honestly, In reality, It is not(lol). But that kind of faith to players and ambition to join them in more deeper gameplay are inspiring to me.

And when he says something broadly, it is quiet good like this video. As I said, His application of his faith is too hard though. For example, He praised Hi-Fi rush, but I don`t think that Hi-Fi rush has replayability or "depth". It was an enjoyable fun take, nothing more nothing less.

https://www.backloggd.com/u/nepu47/

8Interesting videos on design Empty Re: Interesting videos on design Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:14 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I was playing Yakuza Gaiden just now and it made me think of him since Heat Moves don't restore HP when you use them, unlike Doom Eternal :p

Jokes aside, I've blocked him from my feed permenantly. I know I'll hate everything he says so better to just avoid it.

9Interesting videos on design Empty Re: Interesting videos on design Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:51 am

Golden_GustVerse

Golden_GustVerse
D-Rank

nepu47 wrote:I`ll make it clear. Under the mayo`s extreme takes are not agreeable even to me. Especially his approach to sifu`s update was horrible, but I always like his core concept that any gamers can improve themselves if the game slightly nudges to the point. Honestly, In reality, It is not(lol). But that kind of faith to players and ambition to join them in more deeper gameplay are inspiring to me.

And when he says something broadly, it is quiet good like this video. As I said, His application of his faith is too hard though. For example, He praised Hi-Fi rush, but I don`t think that Hi-Fi rush has replayability or "depth". It was an enjoyable fun take, nothing more nothing less.

AH yes, UndertheMayo, the meme of the youtube game commentaries.

Gonna give this one a watch later.

10Interesting videos on design Empty Re: Interesting videos on design Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:39 am

Paul Allen's Profile

Paul Allen's Profile
C-Rank

>UnderLmao

He has ability to make sound statements that immediately fall flat when he goes into arguments. He just can't present his reasoning in understadble way and often times, he's outright wrong. He also very biased, but instead of knowledging his bias, he often backpedals on his statements to pander to his viewers.

11Interesting videos on design Empty Re: Interesting videos on design Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:03 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I think his biggest two issues are the one you see with many Youtubers:
1) came from a specific niche that made him popular, then the niche died and he's still soul-searching to find his audience/niche again, making him bitter.
2) got popular enough that he can't interact with his audience, so puts it behind a paywall, thus only is interacting with people that agree with him, making him arrogant and thinking he can do no wrong.

12Interesting videos on design Empty Re: Interesting videos on design Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:07 am

vert1

vert1
C-Rank

Watching God Hand and Ninja Gaiden 2 animations in 1.5x speed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Funny how Platinum Games did a website showing off improvements to hit reaction, animations, etc. for Bayonetta -> Bayonetta 2, yet I don't think I ever read a review talking about those changes.

That screen space commentary on the video in the OP is good conversation material for 2D brawlers vs 3D brawlers largely for the change in camera systems.

13Interesting videos on design Empty Re: Interesting videos on design Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:14 am

nepu47

nepu47
C-Rank

>many Youtubers

Not relevant to the game design, but I think this issues as opposite, and that is from a design problem from youtube. You see, youtubers became popular from a specific niche. So algorhythm suggested anyone that invovled in that "genre" rather than "specific niche" people. And the youtubers met dumbs with dirty words. They become more defensive/conservative to their opinion, and think that the opposite is full of dumbs. Because what they can see is full of dumbs, comments like "lol skill issue" rather than actually thoughtful articles. This will make dramas between youtubers or fandoms, and that will make more view too. Youtube is designed to make people sick, now.

https://www.backloggd.com/u/nepu47/

14Interesting videos on design Empty Re: Interesting videos on design Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:59 pm

Omar73874928271728

A-Rank

>can’t interact with audience
Ok this I actually strongly disagree with, mayo interacts with his fans ALOT from my perspective at-least, especially on tiwtter. You can @ him what he thinks of ketchup and he’ll respond like a hour later, he definitely ain’t like tgbs where he doesn’t interact at all with fans. That and mayo isn’t even that big of a YouTuber to the point he will just reject his audience.

15Interesting videos on design Empty Re: Interesting videos on design Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:41 pm

Jackie Estacado

Jackie Estacado
C-Rank
Survivor

this is a great video by The Electric Underground talking about the recent craze of game-ruining parry mechanics and how Metal Gear Rising did it a lot better + a quick overall review of MGR 25+ minutes in. figured it would have interest here for obvious reasons.

16Interesting videos on design Empty Re: Interesting videos on design Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:10 pm

Golden_GustVerse

Golden_GustVerse
D-Rank

Jackie Estacado wrote:this is a great video by The Electric Underground talking about the recent craze of game-ruining parry mechanics and how Metal Gear Rising did it a lot better + a quick overall review of MGR 25+ minutes in. figured it would have interest here for obvious reasons.

Yep, Mark made a good job explaining the problem.

17Interesting videos on design Empty Re: Interesting videos on design Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:24 pm

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

Did he change the thumbnail? I think it used to say "Sekiro but better" (which would also be true btw).

18Interesting videos on design Empty Re: Interesting videos on design Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:36 pm

Golden_GustVerse

Golden_GustVerse
D-Rank

Malcar wrote:Did he change the thumbnail? I think it used to say "Sekiro but better" (which would also be true btw).

Yeah, I am also sure the thumbnail was different. I never played Sekiro, never will, it's combat sounds really boring.

19Interesting videos on design Empty Re: Interesting videos on design Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:04 am

Memes of Monsoon

Memes of Monsoon
D-Rank

Same can be said about dodges too. Iframes make movement obsolete. Not many games out there that try to integrate movement into combat. Platinum chickened out by giving an iframe attack move. DMC5 also has these iframe moves which is ridiculous.

The directional parry is good but the camera is not. I'm surprised he didn't mention it.

20Interesting videos on design Empty Re: Interesting videos on design Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:19 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Haven't watched the video yet, painfully little time for that stuff recently haha. But i.frames are tricky, I feel an even distribution paired with non-tracking moves means that enemies need to be agressive, otherwise you're just untouchable. I do feel MGR:R did it nicely by having mobility down. You could Ninja Run and also jump to avoid attacks instead of using the i.framed dodge, it was one of the few games where it felt like an optional upgrade.

Massively biased but always liked NG:B's i.frames the most, how it came from either specific types of movement (headstomp, walljump etc) and also promoting agression (i.e. specific moves had i.frames at specific points, like Lunar's XXY).

21Interesting videos on design Empty Re: Interesting videos on design Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:11 am

Memes of Monsoon

Memes of Monsoon
D-Rank

Yeah I don't really find MGR's dodge offensive. The reviewer was talking about how parry negates the need for movement and then goes to use iframes to defend himself.

To me iframes are a necessary evil in 3d games. He gives examples of 2d games where the hitbox's range is always visible so you can use movement to avoid damage. In 3d it isn't always the case hence the iframes.

People are also accustomed to dodge and block. Wonderful 101 is criticized for not having the dodge and block from the beginning. Platinum has generally done a good job of integrating movement into combat. Bayo, Wonderful 101, MGR can be played without relying on iframes too much.

22Interesting videos on design Empty Re: Interesting videos on design Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:27 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor

I always search for ways to avoid damage other than parries, blocking and dodging.

Quick example with this new Granblue game. Io floats backward when using her ice spell. When the golem boss used its attack where it drops huge rocks around the arena (shown by red circles on the ground) I used this spell to get out of the hit zone. Another was simply jumping and using my air attack to avoid its slam attack (stuns you) while the other players are all trying to iframe dodge it like rabbits. Meanwhile I'm floating in the air firing magic shots to prevent dropping right away.

23Interesting videos on design Empty Re: Interesting videos on design Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:38 am

Golden_GustVerse

Golden_GustVerse
D-Rank

Birdman wrote:I always search for ways to avoid damage other than parries, blocking and dodging.

Quick example with this new Granblue game. Io floats backward when using her ice spell. When the golem boss used its attack where it drops huge rocks around the arena (shown by red circles on the ground) I used this spell to get out of the hit zone. Another was simply jumping and using my air attack to avoid its slam attack (stuns you) while the other players are all trying to iframe dodge it like rabbits. Meanwhile I'm floating in the air firing magic shots to prevent dropping right away.

Late reply, sorry, but older games have real interesting ways to avoid damage. Grabbing enemies in Final Fight gives Iframes and it's key to survival. Need more offensive iframes if games are about challenging you to be on offense.

Also, an underused way to avoid damage is to... walk. It sounds boring but the enemy's attack can push the player to move right or take hits anyway. DMC 1 Phantom's lava pillars are best avoided by walking, in particular in tight spaces cause bumping into anything is dangerous. It can be more interesting if you had to move like in a shmup. Some real underexplored potential here.

24Interesting videos on design Empty Re: Interesting videos on design Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:01 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor

Old games are amazing for this. I can think of so many examples.

25Interesting videos on design Empty Re: Interesting videos on design Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:32 pm

Golden_GustVerse

Golden_GustVerse
D-Rank

Go on, I don't have much gaming experience at large so it is all new and interesting to me.

26Interesting videos on design Empty Re: Interesting videos on design Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:32 am

Memes of Monsoon

Memes of Monsoon
D-Rank

>avoid damage is to... walk

It looks cool to avid attack by just walking but i'm not sure if it's different in any way than say running. On the other hand Games nowadays are all about quick reaction. Developers have spent all their life thinking of their dodge and parry system and they will make sure you use it. Movement and spacing seems to be a lost concept to them. So a game focusing on walking would definitely be a novelty. Enemy attacks would have to be clearly telegraphed, with proper wind up attacks, no tracking, or input reading which seems hard. Why do all this work when you can just have iframe dodges and parry a solution to every nonsensical attack.

I find jumping to avoid attacks underrated. Nowadays any game that lets me avoid attacks by jumping instantly gets two points from me. There is a reason i became fan of character action games and have have hundreds of hours in DMC and other platinum games. Jumping allows the use of 3d space in a way other 3d games without it can't and i would like more games to focus on it. As nice as DMC and platinum games are i would like them to evolve air combat more. Enemies being able to fight in air and ground would be something nice to see.

27Interesting videos on design Empty Re: Interesting videos on design Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:58 pm

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

> Walking to avoid damage is underrated

A lot of people give shit to the Souls games for relying on tracking in their attacks, but they've consistently designed bosses to be beatable without any sort of i-frames.

I've found this part of Elden Ring to be much more interesting on a replay than stuff like the addition of jumping, if just because the implementation of ER's jump is pretty shallow, and basically that of a dodge button in about 90% of cases. The air state is pretty brief and limited, and elevation differences rarely make a huge difference in combat when they're present.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum