Memes of Monsoon
Royta/Raeng
Birdman
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Veteran
Was one of the original users
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic

I've mentioned such mechanics a few times recently as my favorite type.

I'm talking about moves or abilities that leave something out that is separate from your controlled character. I don't mean projectiles in general. If a projectiles qualifies, you have to be able to move after launching it. Preferably it will be one that moves slowly so you can build set ups around it. If it's something that sticks to the enemy then blows up later, that's fine.

Can also list zones that do something to the enemy. Not looking so much at debuffs at present, but more stuff that affects movement. Explosions, obstructions, slow (bonus points if it affects other stuff like projectiles).

I'll list some examples from what I've played. If you know any others let me know. You can include action RPGs like Tales. I once saw a short clip on Twitter but forgot which one it was but the character created a fire on the ground that lingered long enough to knock a juggled enemy into it, which knocked it back towards the player.

Okami - Cherry Bomb
The bomb stays onscreen until it detonates by either an enemy touching it or you setting it off yourself with fire, or putting out the fuse with rain to keep it around as long as you want.

Okami - Veil of Mist
Slows enemies and affects their projectiles. Sadly this doesn't affect Cherry Bomb.

Bayonetta - Durga bombs

DMC4 - Lucifer

All DMC - Round Trip

DMC5 - Nero's Ragtime (and he has a bomb one too)

Transformers Devastation - Minethrower (sticks to enemies/ground/walls)

Nier Automata - Slow Pod move, certain sword throws.

Knack 2 - Boomerang after the enemy is caught, basically turning them into a mine.

Knack 2 - Vampire Knack's tornado. Moves slow enough to chase and run or teleport past.

ZoE2 - Decoy.
While not an attack it's similar to summoning and draws enemy attention. I used this constantly while dashing away and throwing spirit bombs.

DQH - Nera's magic bubbles.
Slowing moving bubbles that will float forward until detonated.

DQH - Bianca's Plasma Dome
Leaves a giant dome of electricity.

HW: AoC - Great Fairy's whirlpool
Create a magic whirlpool that sucks in enemies.

HW: AoC - Sheikah Slate Zelda
Strong attack creates ice blocks. Can be detonated.

Fire Emblem Warriors Three Hopes
There's a few in this but I'll list the ones I have experience with.

Hubert - Dark Spikes
Attacking has a chance to put a dark spike into the enemy. You can detonate any time with the unique move button. If you keep attacking you can stack the effect and the spike becomes larger. The explosion will be larger and do more hits allowing it to be used as a juggle.

Hapi - Dark Zone
After any strong attack, or the final hit of the regular string, a dark orb will appear and hit the ground creating a dark pool. This orb just comes after the strong finishes so you can move freely. You can detonate the pool any time with the unique button.

There's more like this judging by the unique descriptions. I'll test them today.
There's also some characters in Hyrule Warriors 1 that might fit but I've only seen videos.

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Astral Chain allows you to place mines (item) and shieldbarriers (item) in specific places, as well as blade-mines from the Axe-legion. Not a day goes by I don't praise this game.

ZoE2 also has the Fuck-Mines. I know it's floating-mine but I like that better.

I always liked the Fuck-Mines in how they interact with the general whole, as you can grab, throw and use them like regular items in the enviroment. In most other games where you have a 'drop' move it tends to be optimal to just ditch it out for max-damage while it doesn't really do anything else if you get me.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

Memes of Monsoon

Memes of Monsoon
D-Rank

Wonderful 101 has quite a few such mechanics

Vorken's boomerang
Black's time bomb
Team attack
Multi unite attack
Set mines by evading

Nier Automata also has a decoy ability and a black hole type pod ability that sucks in enemies.

Batman Arkham games - Explosive gel. Can be used in a lot of interesting ways during predator encounters, not that useful during combat though.

Also do shooters count? If so

Evil within - Shock bolt.

RE4- Minethrower

C4 or sticky bombs in games like far cry & watch dogs. They can create lot of cool scenarios.

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>Astral Chain stuff
Delicious. I'll get back to that in time.

>ZoE2 mines
Noted for when I go back to it. Can you Decoy over it?

>tends to be optimal to just ditch it out for max-damage while it doesn't really do anything else if you get me.
Yeah. Okami is similar in how you can affect the bomb like putting out the fuse so you can control when it explodes, or using wind or running into it to make it move.

What about NG? I saw a combo on Twitter using exploding shuriken. How long before they explode?

>Nier Automata also has a decoy ability and a black hole type pod ability that sucks in enemies.
Forgot about decoy. I used that a bit and it was fun.

>explosive gel
>not that useful during combat
Not sure how it stacks up against other tools but I used it all the time. It was my favorite. It's basically a bomb on the ground you can detonate any time.

>do shooters count
Would rather stick to action or ARPGs otherwise you could add any genre even racing because you can leave traps in games like Crash Team Racing.

I guess if it's got action elements and lets you follow up with stuff or alters things in some way then we could do TEW. Not sure how far I want to open the door here. What do you think?

Regarding FE Warriors 2, I tested Constance. By attacking she generates magic orbs that float around her. Sadly, they don't do anything here. Pressing the unique button will make them shoot forward in a spread shot and they'll change into huge orbs. This doesn't count for what I'm talking about because in the end it's just a projectile. Pretty much a charge attack. Massive missed opportunity to have orb formations or to be able to fire them one at a time in addition to all at once.

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Loved the explosive gel in Arkham. Didn't you get a 'quick' version of that in City and beyond for use in combat? I remember something of the like.

> ZoE2 decoy mine
Jup! Really fun interaction. You have to lay down a bomb first, then switch to decoy. More for NG+ though since you get fuck-mine so late.

> NG shurikens
I think it's like 1 second after it connects, it's very fast so not really in this category.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

Memes of Monsoon

Memes of Monsoon
D-Rank

> Not sure how it stacks up against other tools but I used it all the time. It was my favorite. It's basically a bomb on the ground you can detonate any time.

yes, pretty useful during stealth encounters but during combat its useless. It does not serve any useful function during combat.

> I guess if it's got action elements and lets you follow up with stuff or alters things in some way then we could do TEW. Not sure how far I want to open the door here. What do you think?

I think it would be interesting if other genres are included that way you'll get more unique ideas.

> Loved the explosive gel in Arkham. Didn't you get a 'quick' version of that in City and beyond for use in combat? I remember something of the like.

yep, they tried to integrate gadgets seamlessly into the combat from City onwards. However due to Arkham's combat nature they don't really make any meaningful difference during combat. During predator sections they are fun because they can be used on specific environments to some amusing results.

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>Didn't you get a 'quick' version of that in City and beyond for use in combat?
Yes and I'm pretty sure the quick version is in Asylum too. I played it last year. Don't know why I can't remember clearly.
When you do the quick version Batman does this kind of quick forward flip and drops it. Then you can start doing other moves and trigger it whenever. Not sure if it vanishes or how many you can lay down though.

>Jup! Really fun interaction.
I'm drooling.

>it's very fast so not really in this category.
Yeah that sounds pretty much instant. Like a rocket or something.

Forgot to address these.

>time bomb
Is this the slow down one?

>Team attack
>Multi unite attack
What do these do?

>set mines by evading
What are the rules? Timer? Enemy touches them?

Memes of Monsoon

Memes of Monsoon
D-Rank

Is this the slow down one?

Yes

Team attack - your team members attack while you can move around. The attack itself is weak but it stuns the enemy& serves as a lock on. They can also fight small enemies on their own. You & the team can attack together too.

Multi unite attack - use the remaining team members to make another unite morph. E.g you can use sword to deflect the laser while simultaneously forming a hammer to attack at the same time. You can create some interesting combinations. The multi unite attacks aren't able to do everything the player can sadly.Nevertheless, they are useful.

What are the rules? Timer? Enemy touches them?

Yes from what I remember they explode when an enemy comes into contact with them.

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
A-Rank
God of War
Expert on all things God of War

Saber Toss in SWFU1 is an obvious enough example. Technically CWB from GoWII (with TB). Briefly so with Soul Summons of GoWIII (CoH). CR in GoWII. AoH in GoW1. Flicks/Legions from BH (in GoWII). Bunch of other shit, but I'm out of time.

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>they explode when an enemy comes into contact with them
Does slow have any effect on them?

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>Soul Summons
As soon as I got that in GoW2 I used it exclusively for a while. Didn't seem to do much damage but alway tried to have them out.

>FE Warriors 2
Tested a few more characters and quite a few have something they can leave out.

One of the archers (forget his name) has Paint Splash. It seems to trigger on only some of his moves. It said something about the enemy being knocked back so it might only be with those types of strong attacks. When it triggers paint will splash out from the enemy and sticks on the ground for a short time. Whatever color it is determines the elemental damage they'll take. I froze a large group with this. Too bad it's random. I think his super spreads paint too.

There's a guy in Arslan Warriors who throws paint around too but I barely touched that game and I don't remember how it works.

Lysithea can apply some kind of darkness to enemies when sending them flying. Pressing the unique attack will pull them in. Didn't toy with this much. Will update when I know more.

Memes of Monsoon

Memes of Monsoon
D-Rank

Does slow have any effect on them?

What do you mean?

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Does slow affect the mines or other projectiles, either from the player or the enemy?

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
A-Rank
God of War
Expert on all things God of War

>GoWII
>Soul Summons
Ah, Legion and Flicks. The former is weak. The latter is super weak. Hit count, minor staggers, some bouncing for juggles being kept up (so things just let you hammer them), etc. Not really great for DMG at all (one being a special you need CC to make safer and the other comes at the cost of evade, so you need tricking, weapon switching and other means to make yourself safe). GoW:A's version is far more powerful (in exchange for a cheap resource). Pales versus the MP spending original of GoW1 (AoH). That one lacked i-frames, mind you. "Soul Summon" is a specific spell (CoH in GoWIII) with multiple variants.

Memes of Monsoon

Memes of Monsoon
D-Rank

Does slow affect the mines or other projectiles, either from the player or the enemy?

The team is immune to bomb effects so are the team's attacks. Enemies & the other environmental gameplay sections however are affected by the bomb.

Mines are unaffected by bomb. I'm guessing you want them to explode in slow Motion.

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>GoW3
I'll get to that in time.

>mines+bomb
>want them to explode in slow motion
Any effect really.

I was disappointed when I found Cherry Bomb in Okami can't be slowed. You can create one in the air but it falls at normal speed. I wanted it to fall slowly.

Is there an air evade that can generate mines in W101?

Memes of Monsoon

Memes of Monsoon
D-Rank

> I was disappointed when I found Cherry Bomb in Okami can't be slowed. You can create one in the air but it falls at normal speed. I wanted it to fall slowly.

I think the idea is to slow the enemy & quickly use the cherry bomb to deal good damage. Also maybe I'm misremembering but isn't there an enemy that is weak to cherry bomb? You can atleast move the bomb using wind power.

Is there an air evade that can generate mines in W101?

Air evade is same as ground evade. I think when you air evade the mine simply falls down to the ground. I didn't use the mines that much so I'm unfamiliar with it. I only used it on smaller enemies to recruit them whenever you don't have enough members.

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>I think the idea is to slow the enemy & quickly use the cherry bomb to deal good damage
You can do that. But you can also just draw it right on them and it explodes instantly.

>enemy weak to Cherry Bomb
It's kind of like Power Slash where it depends on the enemy. It can bypass some things where other physicals will bounce off.

There's an imp type that can dodge roll it with i-frames. It can also force a Dogu to teleport.

>move with wind
There's a few other cool things you can do.

Put out the fuse with Deluge, detonate with Inferno, create three bombs and source link with Inferno and detonate all at once (requires Solar Flare for use in battle due to being a fire source), cancel with Power Slash, push it yourself. You could even place it on a lilypad and blow it along though that has zero use. Just a cool interaction.

>mine simply falls down to the ground
That sounds really interesting. Wonder if it could be used in a combo by evading in the air, above or below the enemy. Maybe if they're slowed first.

Memes of Monsoon

Memes of Monsoon
D-Rank

The bomb does not fall slowly because slow affects the whole screen. For the bomb to fall slowly it would have to be specifically targeted which you can't do otherwise it will conflict with instant bomb explosion. If you could specifically target which enemies are affected by wind and which bomb is affected by slow that could lead to some interesting combos. Maybe they could do this in a sequel.

The bomb moving the lilypad is interesting. I thought it would be destroyed due to bomb explosion.

W101 does let you choose the size of the time bomb so what you're expecting could work.

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>I thought it would be destroyed due to bomb explosion.
I don't think anything destroys lilypads. And you can put out the bomb's fuse anyway.

Bomb will roll off usually though because the wind pushes it a little faster than the lilypad.

>W101 does let you choose the size of the time bomb so what you're expecting could work.
View user profile Send private message
Delicious. Can't wait to get to this game.

mageknight14

mageknight14
D-Rank

Both TWEWY games have stuff like this, particularly Pressure Mine (OG), Explosion (OG) Time Bomb (both games), and Minefield (NEO).
Pressure Mine will have you mark an obstacle on the field with a limited time emblem that will explode when an enemy touches it. Depending on the size of the object, the damage can be increased and you can even combine this with other abilities like Psychokinesis to basically throw exploding cars at the enemies for increased damage output. I remember taking advantage of this a lot in order to take down an elephant boss during Week 3. Fun times.

Explosion has you pressing on the screen anywhere on the field to summon an emblem that shoots out spread fireballs after a short period of time and depending on how you set it up, you can potentially juggle enemies like it’s nothing by laying the emblems near or on top of one another.

Both games have the Time Bomb psych, though they differ in their usages. In the OG, a glowing sphere will appear where it was touched onscreen by the stylus and in a few seconds, it explodes, damaging any enemies in the vicinity and knocking them back. Much like Explosion, depending on how you set it up, you can juggle enemies for days and have fun doing it.
https://youtu.be/ERZzGZyFlVc
It’s also insanely useful for stationary bosses and enemies since the explosion hits multiple times and they’ll take the full brunt of the hits.

In NEO, time bombs work differently in that they’re now bombs you place on the ground and one really cool piece of tech is that if you set another one of your time bombs within the same blast radius of the first bomb, it will instantly trigger, increasing the size of the explosion, turning them from passive tools into great defensive and offensive options.
Minefields are similar to time bombs in their activation though they differ in that you now set them in rows and patterns that set off consecutive explosions and they’re primarily focused on inflicting status ailments as opposed to time bombs being used for launchers and knockback though exceptions exist across both. The bombs can also have distinct properties, such as how one can home in on enemies and poison them, one can draw in enemies for crowd control and inflict stun on them, and another can summon large amounts of debris that still last even after the bomb has detonated so you can potentially Rider kick an enemy into a bus for tons of damage
In addition to all of this, there’s also the Burst Mashup, which has you summoning a bunch of consecutive explosions in a localized area. The wide range and blast count makes it deadly on big guys, but using Poltergeist or knocking the small Noise back down to catch them can lead them into more blasts for more damage and they can even be used to knockback and juggle enemies.

Black Adam

Black Adam
C-Rank

DMC5, although it's more of an Easter egg. If you hold gunslinger (dpad-left) with double Kalina Ann selected, you can leave one in the ground. In Bloody Palace, if you move to the next floor without collecting it, you lose it for that run.

Jackie Estacado

Jackie Estacado
C-Rank
Survivor

>Black Adam

huh, never heard of that. does that do anything at all?

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
A-Rank

It just reverts Double KA to the single KA. The one left on the field doesn't do anything.

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Wtf.

Would be cool if it became a turret or something.

So you can never have both equipped? I remember something like that but now I'm not sure

correojon

D-Rank

I'm not sure if these qualify as it's an active minion rather than something you just "leave" there, but here it goes:
Bayonetta 3: If you summon the plant demon (Alraune?) you can spawn 2 plants that will spill poison and attack nearby enemies. She also has several moves where she'll fill the ground with roots and if an enemy comes close they will grow spikes and hit them (sort of like a proximity mine, but with the shape of a root, it's pretty cool).

JulietStMoon

JulietStMoon
D-Rank

Not quite the same thing, but you know what else is cool? "Butterfingers" mechanics. That is, games where you can accidentally drop objects and have to pick them up again.

Odin Sphere classic comes to mind; Whenever you craft a material or potion, it gets dropped and you have to pick it up manually by crouching in front of it. Furthermore, you can be interrupted during mid-use of an item, causing you to drop it. Some items will also have hitboxes, so they can get knocked about by player or enemy attacks either intentionally or unintentionally. It's just kinda a fun and funny thing, and adds a bit of thought to crafting and using items which I appreciate.

Another one that comes to mind is Little Witch Nobeta, a fairly recent soulslike that's secretly a pretty neat action-platformer/TPS combo. It has similar interrupt rules, where getting hit mid-use causes you to drop items that you have to manually pick up. But here, the same applies to dodging: If you cancel out of the animation with a dodge to avoid an attack while mid-use, that will also cause the item to drop. Which again, adds some thought to item use beyond just spamming healing or whatever.

https://www.backloggd.com/u/JulietStMoon

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>Bayo 3 plants
These qualify.

>Butterfingers mechanics
Interesting. From what you've described these wouldn't qualify unless they did something other than drop. Still, feel free to discuss them in this topic as from your description those items sound closely related to what I'm talking about.

>knocking around items
Any utility to this at all?

JulietStMoon

JulietStMoon
D-Rank

>Butterfinger mechanics
Definitely doesn't qualify lol, the topic just reminds me of them for being somewhat related. I think it's a neat wrinkle.

>Knocking around items
In Odin Sphere classic? Not directly, no. However, if you're trying to retreat to safety and want to pick a dropped item up, it may be useful to kick it out ahead of you and follow so you can safely pick it up. Coins also have hitboxes for some reason, which is pretty funny: They'll react to both player and enemy attacks to get sent flying. Remind me on Discord and I'll send you a video of funny item knockback in a little.

Yet another item placement thing: Performing counterhits on enemies will cause them to drop a treasure chest with a random item from a pool determined by what enemy they are. Unlike other chests and items, these only last a few seconds before flickering out of existence, so you gotta act fast to crouch attack the chest and pop it open before it disappears. Once again,the chests have hitboxes, so gotta be careful the player or enemy don't hit it with a regular attack to send it far away. xD

This actually has roots in Princess Crown (Odin Sphere's Jp-only predecessor on the Sega Saturn), where enemies randomly drop items and all items last only briefly before disappearing, prompting quick action if you want to pick them up mid-combat.

https://www.backloggd.com/u/JulietStMoon

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum