Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Was one of the original users
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Gameplay footage of NieR Replicant for the ... PS...4?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUYFnkYkXq4

I admit to not being too sagely about the series, but as I understand it this is a remake of the alternative game that used to be Japan only on Xbox. I think.
I'm curious how this game will be received as it doesn't star a huge ass as the protagonist haha.
[tiddies]

https://stinger.actieforum.com

2NieR Replicant Empty Re: NieR Replicant Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:54 am

hedfone

hedfone
A-Rank
Veteran

Never played nier and always wanted to play replicant over the old guy one we got, so very happy about this.

3NieR Replicant Empty Re: NieR Replicant Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:57 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor

I just watched some gameplay. What the hell? That is not the game I played. It's like Automata now. I didn't know they were fully remaking it.

4NieR Replicant Empty Re: NieR Replicant Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:18 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Hm, the gameplay seems very similar but they do note that they 'brushed up the animations' which gives that added high speed flair. I just thought it would be a graphical update, but yeah seems like a full on remake then.

Must admit the gameplay does look fun!

5NieR Replicant Empty Re: NieR Replicant Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:23 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

I went from not giving a shit to super interested. I hated the original.

6NieR Replicant Empty Re: NieR Replicant Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:35 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Really? I always thought you enjoyed that title! What made you dislike it so?

7NieR Replicant Empty Re: NieR Replicant Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:10 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

I never liked the first game. It felt awful to play.

8NieR Replicant Empty Re: NieR Replicant Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:34 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Forgot we had a topic.

I just got it but I'm at work. Will start when I get home and play over the weekend. Will update on the mechanics.

9NieR Replicant Empty Re: NieR Replicant Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:00 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Controls similarly to Nier A. Feels very fast and fluid. Sword combos are pretty much the same. Light, heavy an hold for a different attack. So far no launchers or crazy stuff. There is an air string.

Dodge and guard fully cancel attacks. There's parrying, double jump and air dodge. Found a hidden dodge where you swing behind the enemy. After landing an attack, seems if you immediately dodge toward the enemy you'll zoom around to the enemy's back just like in Shinobi. Couldn't get it to work on the boss but might be due to its size.

Magic book is kind of like the pod. Can hold down for continuous fire while moving and attacking. Hold for charge shots or use the should buttons for other spells.

10NieR Replicant Empty Re: NieR Replicant Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:48 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Was wrong about the behind dash. All that's required is being close. Like right up in their face. Just press toward and dodge. You can use it it after an attack which I found useful on shield enemies. While they're still in guard you're already behind them. You can also time it with incoming attacks.

11NieR Replicant Empty Re: NieR Replicant Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:46 am

hedfone

hedfone
A-Rank
Veteran

>immediately dodge toward the enemy you'll zoom around to the enemy's back just like in Shinobi

This sounds cool, does anyone know if this was in the original?

I almost bought this but remembered I hated Nier on 360. It is full price also which seems a little ridiculous. Gonna wait to see how much is actually new and improved.

12NieR Replicant Empty Re: NieR Replicant Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:32 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>original
Barely played it but hated it almost immediately. Now it controls like Automata and feels good to play.

It's full of dumb RPG stuff like fetch quests, fishing, drops.

Found something interesting with the sword heavy charge attack. It's a big slash followed by a jumping stab. He does a small jump, more like a hop and stabs diagonally. Problem with testing is the jump stab only comes out if the first part connects so you can't practice outside of battle.

This stab counts as airborne. Normally when dashing after or canceling an air attack the guy will dash backward a short distance. But if you do this after the jump stab part of the charge attack, he dashes back way further. Sort of like hovering along the ground. Looks really weird like it wasn't intentional. Working on finding a use for it.

13NieR Replicant Empty Re: NieR Replicant Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:14 pm

Dan.A

Dan.A
D-Rank

Oh man, if you all thought OG Nier was frustrating, old Drakengard was the slowest grind ever made. Mind you, people liked Taro's work back then because, well, he did whatever he wanted and went completely nuts at points.

Most of them have a lot of jank and whatnot. Glad to hear Replicant is solid though from most people I listen to. Don't know if and when I'll get around to it, but that cool.

14NieR Replicant Empty Re: NieR Replicant Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:04 am

hedfone

hedfone
A-Rank
Veteran

We need someone who played the first game to say how the combat changed up in here. Everyone online just talks about the story, music, everything that isn't combat.
I remember nier OG basically having a light combo and a dodge and nothing else aside from the book.
Could be wrong.

15NieR Replicant Empty Re: NieR Replicant Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:46 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

I now have three weapons: single hand sword (starting weapon), double handed sword and spear.

You can weapon switch with the d-pad but it has an animation so nothing can be chained. Pretty useless.

Magic is more interesting. You can charge it up or do quick version in weapon strings. Some interesting properties here and there like Dark Phantom clone launches from the quick version.

Enemies are starting to wear armor and block a lot which is just annoying. Bosses have largely been giants with tons of set pieces, thankfully without QTEs.

Words are basically like Automata's chips. You can slot them into weapons, armor, magic, and even blocking and evade. There's poison but doesn't seem at all useful. Seems you can stack to increase the level though.

There IS a launcher. It's done by pressing heavy attack immediately after jumping.

There's WAY too much running around. Huge areas of nothing but running from point to point. No fast travel yet. Getting bored. Combat hasn't been even remotely exciting. It's like a super limited Automata. Entirely possible I'll give up soon.

16NieR Replicant Empty Re: NieR Replicant Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:26 am

hedfone

hedfone
A-Rank
Veteran

I actually loaded up Drakengard on emulator earlier. That game really isn't that bad. Almost fun even. Combos are limited but it feels very responsive which I have to give it credit for. The CG scenes are also super high quality. You can get a ps2 rom with the og Japanese audio to.
Apparently Drakengard has pedophilia and people that eat children. Very weird title.

Not sure when I'll get around to nier. I think it is too expensive right now.

Not a fan of the artistic changes. The characters now look like anime real dolls.

>Getting bored. Combat hasn't been even remotely exciting. It's like a super limited Automata. Entirely possible I'll give up soon.

I think people mostly love this game for the themes and story. I don't think the gameplay will ever get that technical.

17NieR Replicant Empty Re: NieR Replicant Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:49 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

My set up now is Dark Whirlwind with poison Words attached. Whirlwind creates these magic sickles that spin around you. You can get 4 max. Quickfire in a combo summons one but you can add more. The goal is to just poison everything. Closest I can get to an interesting set up. Easy to spread through a group like this. Also have confuse but it's basically silence in this. Paralysis exists but I haven't found it yet.

18NieR Replicant Empty Re: NieR Replicant Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:19 am

hedfone

hedfone
A-Rank
Veteran

Can you combine the status effects in any way?

19NieR Replicant Empty Re: NieR Replicant Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:46 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

I haven't been able to get more than one per weapon.

Anyway I'm selling this. Got bored to death.

20NieR Replicant Empty Re: NieR Replicant Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:09 am

hedfone

hedfone
A-Rank
Veteran

Apparently on pc with an unlocked framerate the game speed is faster. Making the travel stuff much shorter. Interesting, like DMC turbo

21NieR Replicant Empty Re: NieR Replicant Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:28 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak
Expert on The Evil Within

I looked up some videos, doesn’t look like it’s for me. If it has any kind of combos, expect people to say it has good combat.

Also starting to think platinum’s stuff all blends together. The animations and style just always look the same.

Edit: Was this not made by platinum? It looks like every game they’ve developed in the last 5 years or so. I’ve never heard of this other developer.

22NieR Replicant Empty Re: NieR Replicant Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:40 pm

hedfone

hedfone
A-Rank
Veteran

I got it. I am enjoying it a lot. I have not played automata so if this game is just a more basic version of that, I can understand the boredom.

The controls are so tight. You can cancel almost anything with a dodge and then cancel that dodge with an attack. The enemies all have armor so you have to do hard knockdowns to combo or juggle safely.
There are a few moves that are guaranteed knockdowns, you can repeat them to keep them knocked down indefinitely. This kind of works on bosses too. The first set of bosses I found a semi infinite loop
that kept knocking them out of their attack.

You get a magic fist that is pretty cool, reminds me of folklore. I'm just running around punching enemies with that then doing a context finisher.
Game feels really good. Not super complicated.
The bullet hell shooting in the boss fights is interesting.

Game is VERY slow. Took me about 4ish hours to actually get some magic options.

Interested how the slower heavy weapons feel. You start with a one hander.

I might record a few fights to show some variety, every youtube seems to be people who have never touched a controller.

23NieR Replicant Empty Re: NieR Replicant Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:58 am

hedfone

hedfone
A-Rank
Veteran

Finished this with the normal A ending (hard mode). Not doing the other endings as you just replay the 2nd half of the game. Watched them on youtube.

Had an absolute blast. My favorite JRPG I have played in a while. The spells become wonderfully broken by the end. All of the spells synergize with each other and against different eneimes very well.
Very fun to come up with creative set ups with the spells to make short work of the tougher enemies.
I eneded up removing the block/parry in favor of more spell room.
The dodge is so powerful, very platinum like.

Biggest complaint is the bosses were not changed from what I can tell, but your character is faster, stronger and better.
The bosses were designed around a slow combat system were half of the spells rooted you in place.
Now you are a hyper mobile God and the bosses just don't stand a chance. Wish they would have remixed all of the bosses with new moves and counters to all of the new mobility.

Also you don't get the spear and berserk sword options until about 10 hours in the game haha.
2 handed sword was so amazing I never touched the spear once. Being able to cancel such a slow weapon at almost anytime is super fun.

I would only recommend it though for the story really. Even then the story is boring until that 10 hour mark. It definitely hooked me.

24NieR Replicant Empty Re: NieR Replicant Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:13 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

That mansion where you meet Emil was super creepy. The music was perfect. Made me feel kind of sick.

But why the hell did they limit you to walking and remove the dodge roll? That was abominable.

You should try Automata.

Last edited by Birdman on Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

25NieR Replicant Empty Re: NieR Replicant Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:16 pm

hedfone

hedfone
A-Rank
Veteran

>mansion where you meet Emil

That was cool but the forced walking no dodging was tilting me so hard that I was just laughing the whole time lol. I was so frustrated, I cursed Taro's name about 100 times that day. Really stupid choice for hard.
You can never run in there even years later with no enemies.

>Automata
Playing it now. Liking it so far. It is different. Not sure how I feel about the souls stuff, but the save points are generous.

26NieR Replicant Empty Re: NieR Replicant Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:23 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

It must have been him trolling. You can still block and do the counter attack. Or maybe because the camera was fixed in there and dodging would cause you to change screens unintentionally? Dino Crisis 3 suffered from that.

27NieR Replicant Empty Re: NieR Replicant Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:14 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak
Expert on The Evil Within

Tried playing this. Does absolutely nothing for me. The weird floaty controls and boring enemies make it a slog imo. I’m just dashing in and out of enemies and doing dodges like it’s nothing because every enemy is so slow and clumsy. There’s different attack strings and stuff but I fail to find a difference between any of them.

I thought the magic and meter use would be cool but the spear wipes the floor with the other attacks and the meter just replenishes on its own.

Not trying to be a dick but what do people see in this game?

28NieR Replicant Empty Re: NieR Replicant Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:06 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

IIRC Replicant was originally liked for its more condenced combat and other elements (music, story etc.). Cannot comment on the remake though.

29NieR Replicant Empty Re: NieR Replicant Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:15 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

It's OK I guess.

Not a lot to it. You can do some juggles but nothing interesting.

30NieR Replicant Empty Re: NieR Replicant Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:50 pm

HotPocketHPE

HotPocketHPE
C-Rank

People usually latch onto it for the story, I played it on PS3 years ago and it was whatever.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum