4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Final Fantasy XVI Empty Final Fantasy XVI Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:42 am

Khayyaam

Khayyaam
D-Rank
Veteran
Was one of the original users

Opening up the Playstation Event on wednesday... this.

What's interesting about this title is, despite being a Final Fantasy game, apparently it's being worked on by Ryota Suzuki who previously worked at CAPCOM for a very long time. His credits include design work on Devil May Cry 5, combat director on the Dragon's Dogma games and Battle Planner for Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams. He's also done a lot of work on many of CAPCOM's fighting games.

His departure from CAPCOM and hiring by Square Enix was revealed months ago.

https://www.dualshockers.com/square-enix-ryota-suzuki-aaa-action-game/

Looking at the trailer, this definitely looks like a new high speed action game. Good enemy variety too, with classic Final Fantasy enemies like Imps, Malboros, Coeurls and a Dragoon. One move repeated several times is a Phoenix Wing move that looks like your standard launcher, and it doesn't seem to work on every enemy the same way.

As someone pointed out, the game appears to have Enemy Step Jump Cancelling. This same clip in the trailer also showed a classic Aerial Rave and even a God Hand style pummel (2:16 in the trailer for the full thing at full speed)

https://streamable.com/2q9q7r

As a long time fan of Action Games, RPGs, Action RPGs and especially Final Fantasy as well as the rest of Square Enix' experiments with action games, I'm thoroughly intrigued. What do you guys think?

The thing I'm most interested in is how RPG elements possibly affect this. The last few games in the series had trailers that looked actiony too, going back all the way to XIII, but the final game always involved ATB gauges and menus in some way, especially 7 Remake. They never did it quite the same way, so I wonder how they could possibly fit it in this time... but the interview I linked implies they just might.

2Final Fantasy XVI Empty final action Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:10 am

According to this, that's why Action as a type got rare enough for own releases. It's too niche now. Instead, mechanics get absorbed for RPG-hybrids.  Mad

That's what he said wrote:we wish to hire game creators with know how of Action games

So this is real.   Exclamation I think I just smelled the glove.

3Final Fantasy XVI Empty Re: Final Fantasy XVI Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:54 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Veteran
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic

It looks like Dragon's Dogma.

Don't care for launchers and air combos.

4Final Fantasy XVI Empty Re: Final Fantasy XVI Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:55 am

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
A-Rank

Thanks for posting this - I'm not really an Action RPG (or even RPG) guy so I probably wouldn't have given the trailer any thought. I like how the combat looks here, so I could have my arm twisted in to giving this a try. I wasn't familiar with Ryota Suzuki, but having a guy on board who contributed to a ton of great combat systems with Capcom is definitely making me interested.

5Final Fantasy XVI Empty Re: Final Fantasy XVI Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:03 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Without a doubt the most interesting reveal for me. If we take the leaks into account it will apparently also heavily feature co-op functionality, which is interesting. I must admit to being glad of not being a series fan too much, as its shift from RPG to Action RPG is getting more and more insane by the second I feel.

I'd be surprised if this was still using ATB. THey might use those terms, like MP etc for functions, but it really does look like a straight up action-game with perhaps lite RPG aspects. I'm also surprised by its shift to more medival style of world, which is quite rare for this series IIRC.

Not a game on my buy list, but one that does interest me purely by its existence for sure.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

6Final Fantasy XVI Empty Re: Final Fantasy XVI Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:14 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>medieval style

That's why I said it looks like DD.

>the series

I was never a fan. I like a few of the games just because I like the mechanics. I love FF12 and World.

7Final Fantasy XVI Empty Re: Final Fantasy XVI Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:28 am

Khayyaam

Khayyaam
D-Rank
Veteran

Royta/Raeng wrote:Without a doubt the most interesting reveal for me. If we take the leaks into account it will apparently also heavily feature co-op functionality, which is interesting. I must admit to being glad of not being a series fan too much, as its shift from RPG to Action RPG is getting more and more insane by the second I feel.[

I'd be surprised if this was still using ATB. THey might use those terms, like MP etc for functions, but it really does look like a straight up action-game with perhaps lite RPG aspects. I'm also surprised by its shift to more medival style of world, which is quite rare for this series IIRC.

As someone who's played every game *and* all of Square Enix' other fare it's not really quite as simple as shifting from RPG to Action RPG. The intention is to deliver something in between. They stated ATB was them moving closer to Action... it seems to be their mission to explore the middle ground. When I say it still uses ATB I don't mean that it'll definitely only be menus. I mean they'll involve waiting for a bar to fill with commands in some way. They did that in 7R with the pause/shortcut system, but they also did that with XV where the controlled character was done in purely real time action style, but there was still a refilling bar you could use to give your partners commands.

Final Fantasy's always set out to be that experimental game to stand out from Dragon Quest.
I'm also surprised by its shift to more medival style of world, which is quite rare for this series IIRC.

Birdman wrote:>medieval style

That's why I said it looks like DD.

Not really... 1-5, 9 and 12 were all medieval. That's almost half the series. Of the non medieval ones, 6 was industrial age (people like to throw this one in with the medieval games), 7 and 8 were how they liked to paint the future in the 90s, 10 couldn't really fit into any one era, 13 was futuristic and XV was just modern. Another intention of the series is to be different every time, hence the different settings, but Medieval era is not only the original style of setting for the series, it's also the most common, especially when you consider all the spin-offs. Actually, there's a not insignificant number of people who've been asking for them to return to medieval style and appreciate XVI for doing so again.

It's also true that *every* title going back to the first game regardless of their setting has sci-fi elements. The medieval ones just keep it a secret and use it as a plot twist (FF1 had an endgame dungeon on a space station where you fight a robot that launches nukes, final fantasy 4 swerves from its classical fantasy light and dark story to be about aliens from the moon, etc.) Regardless, it shouldn't really be a point of contention in my opinion. Just like 9, 16 is returning to medieval style after an absence and is going to include some secretly sci-fi element like what's normal for the series.

The point is, Final Fantasy is at heart, experimental and subversive, and you can't really look at one or two titles for a complete picture of what the series is and tries to do. Every game they'll do something different story and gameplay wise and that's what we can count on.

This time we're getting flashy DMC inspired combat and we'll have to wait and see how that could possibly fit in with the RPG side of things. Regardless, I'm excited and interested. Not just because I like that type of combat, but also because I want to see how it'll fall into place with the usual RPG mechanics of the series. See this quote from the interview I linked.

Ryota Suzuki: “I may be exaggerating, but nowadays many believe that Command RPG itself is old-fashioned. These games are called JRPGs outside Japan, and older players will play them, but the younger generation, raised playing GTA and FPS games, aren’t used to Command based battles systems. They feel weird seeing a system where the enemies and allies will simply stand as they wait for commands. Square Enix still deem RPGs as important though. We plan to make games for those who enjoyed our works until now, and for the younger players who are more used to Action games.”

ALSO, in the clip I posted in my first post ( https://streamable.com/2q9q7r ) I realized it's not just jump cancelling, it appears the main character has Snatch too... it's hard to notice because they cut it so it looks like he starts the aerial rave with the launcher, but actually it's a separate clip that starts with him pulling the enemy towards him in a manner that looks like Snatch. Definitely feels like DMC5 may have started causing japanese devs to start borrowing from the series again like what DMC3 did years ago.

8Final Fantasy XVI Empty Re: Final Fantasy XVI Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:01 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>Not really... 1-5, 9 and 12 were all medieval.

It...still looks like DD.

>it'll fall into place with the usual RPG mechanics

Probably like Nier A.

>raised playing GTA and FPS games, aren’t used to Command based battles systems.

Wtf? Who cares what they're used to. Fuck off and play something else I say.

>wait for commands.

Sad that they think that's all there is to it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum