Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Was one of the original users
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

So this trailer just got revealed after, sadly, leaking a few hours prior to its reveal.

Personally I'm both interested and not. Sands of Time is a classic and one of my favourite games of all time, but this game is also one where I scratch my head at the whole remake business. Personally I feel that a remake should either do things completely different, update a game with the innovations later titles gave it or otherwise just be a polished re-release.

This titles seems to be none of those. The two biggest flaws of the original were (to me at least, feel free to chime in) the lack of end-game content i.e. unlockable outfits and a Hard Mode, and the combat system. Later entries heavily improved upon the combat while also slightly improving the end-game with a Hard Mode and unlockable artwork and behind the scenes galleries.

Meanwhile this remake offers some collectibles in the form of pre-order DLC (some original skins and weapon skins). Meanwhile they apparently left the gameplay intact which I find both good and bad. Sands of Time could've really benefitted from Warrior Within's gameplay innovations, but at least they didn't ruin it with terrible modern-day platforming and other conventions.

Graphics, well, it feels like it really misses the charm of the original on an aesthetic level.

Any takers?

https://stinger.actieforum.com

2Sands of Time Remake Empty Re: Sands of Time Remake Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:01 am

hedfone

hedfone
A-Rank
Veteran

I have the trilogy on pc, but the port is so bad i stopped playing the first one.
Was excited by this but this looks like trash. I'll just stick to the old games, might look for a ps2 copy.

3Sands of Time Remake Empty Re: Sands of Time Remake Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:11 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Yeah the PC versions aren't that great iirc. Note that the Xbox version runs on the Xbox One if you have that machine. The Trilogy HD pack is terrible too imo, better stick to the original releases.

4Sands of Time Remake Empty that's not how it happened Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:38 am

Not surprising. Focusing on technological standards, many projects are bereft of creativity. The "magic".
So they turn to something magical and present it with some modest technological standards.
It's cannibalizing, I say.
Plus it aims at the ingrates who wouldn't play below their standards. Ever.

I replayed the original last year.
I noticed how Rocksteady lifted the combat for their Arkham titles and where hailed as inovators, too.
It made me smirk.

5Sands of Time Remake Empty Re: Sands of Time Remake Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:05 am

RedShot

B-Rank

I had to fix some problems but after that the Steam version was perfect. It's a great action-adventure game but the combat isn't good enough after a playthrough. This remake doesn't really appeal to me, the art direction is inferior and If I want to play the original title I could do it at any time.

6Sands of Time Remake Empty Re: Sands of Time Remake Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:32 am

hedfone

hedfone
A-Rank
Veteran

The end point for me is the original is still a fantastic game, plays just fine. This is just a cash grab.
And boy is that trailer ugly. Really looks like a ps1 CGI cutscene come to life lol

7Sands of Time Remake Empty Re: Sands of Time Remake Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:52 am

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

>Trilogy HD pack is terrible

Why? I believe that was what I was playing on PS3... But maybe I could just emulate it on PC.

8Sands of Time Remake Empty Re: Sands of Time Remake Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:26 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

The trilogy pack screwed up a lot of graphical details, like most transparancies are gone, there's crashes, death glitches. Not to mention they are based on the original releases (thus no patches, making Warrior Within quite buggy). OG is the way to go with these games for now imo.

9Sands of Time Remake Empty Re: Sands of Time Remake Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:51 pm

hebass

C-Rank

The Prince of Persia series holds a special place for me. I nerded out on them. I love the feeling of isolation and the flowing platforming content. Or at least I did long ago, it has been awhile since I've played them. My favorite of the series is still The Warrior Within, but the first one was fun to play through still. I'll probably pick this up even if it only entices them to help make more Prince of Persia games. Assassin's Creed took over that role unfortunately and while those are fun games in their own right, they're not the same. I was one of the few that really enjoyed the Prince of Persia reboot after the Sands of Time Trilogy as well. ESPECIALLY the add-on content for that game, holy moly that was awesome albeit short.

In summary, I'm a big fan of the Prince of Persia series and I've wanted more for a long time...this reboot does not excite me, but will buy and experience what they've done with it in hopes of someone making another new Prince of Persia experience.

10Sands of Time Remake Empty Re: Sands of Time Remake Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:24 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Yeah they were really fantastic games. Sands of Time had the atmosphere and the story imo, while Warrior Within had superior platforming, puzzles and combat - the whole gameplay just got elevated there. Two Thrones was very mediocre imo.

I can say that, personally, the first two still really, really, really hold up today.

Never played 2008 or its add-on content.

11Sands of Time Remake Empty Re: Sands of Time Remake Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:20 am

hebass

C-Rank

I agree on Two Thrones being the bottom of the 3. And yah man, the Warrior Within was excellent all around. The combat was superb, I loved the weapon additions, and the environmental interaction that was possible.

You know, I don’t know why I didn’t know this until recently, but I learned that The Forgotten Sands has multiple versions of the game, not only ports among that generations of consoles/handhelds. I had originally only played it on the PS3. So I picked the rest up recently to try as well. Supposedly they have different side prince stories to play through. Looking forward to those!

Last side note, I’ve been holding onto The Warrior Within for PSP for years, supposedly it has some extra content added to it!

12Sands of Time Remake Empty Re: Sands of Time Remake Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:41 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

The PSP version of Warrior Within is 'okay' sorry to say. The added content is just some rooms that were removed initially and they look and feel like it. Very barren rooms that feel straight out of a beta-test area, at times half surprised they have textures. Don't get too exited for that one sad to say. Don't take my word for it though, experience it! Maybe you'll like it more than I did :)

But Warrior Within, man, what a game. I'm always surprised that most find it was a step back aside from the combat, but I really liked its plot, art-design and platforming too.

> Forgotten Sands
Yeah Ubisoft did that a lot back then. Splinter Cell Double Agent had the same. I absolutely love the next-gen version of Forgotten Sands but from what I know the last-gen version is also great.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum