Marvel's Avengers is a perfect example of why multiple characters don't work

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

[][]/\Casual

[][]/\Casual
C-Rank

-Enemies streamlined to make up for drastic differences in characters' style

-Player abilities limited as well

-Restrictive exploration (return to combat warnings when slightly rambling off the set path)

-Dreaded damage numbers and skill trees that give the pretense of improvement

With that being said the animations are pretty good (though it's hard to see with all the damage numbers, health bars, and HUD clutter).

Most of the Beta gameplay so far is of the Hulk. You can pick rocks off the ground and throw it at enemies. There are grabs and there's even a rage mode. But none of this can compare to an actual Hulk game like Ultimate Destruction. You just can't get good combat with such a varied cast and that is the number one reason I think this game will struggle.

Imagine a Winter Soldier game with Captain America (and maybe Black Widow) and you had basic martial arts, shield throws that ricochet, etc. (though I think a game might be a bit limited without shoehorning some light rpg elements).

That's just my take on the game. A lot of people are saying that the game looks bland, but they can't really explain why. In my opinion, it has to do with this being an action game with an emphasis on combat, and it being balanced around many different characters. It just doesn't work well, but the Avengers brand sells I guess.

EmperorWu

D-Rank

It's funny you mention the problem being diverse characters, I think they all feel exactly the same. I shouldn't be doing roughly the same damage as The Hulk that I am for Ms. Marvel ffs. Everyone has the same kit of launchers, mindless mash strings, ranged attack, with the only meaningful difference being your Heroics. The loot stuff is a bore, the mission design is super restrictive and so generic they feel like MP game maps instead of levels (Defend the point! Fend off enemy waves!), there's no point in even trying to get technical because your AI teammates will charge in for you. It is just an absolute design-by-committee mess

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Was one of the original users
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Multiple characters are always going to be a detriment when compared to a single character focused game. Even that phoned in Captain America game will have a better Cap than this game since the former was at least focused on him. That said, I haven't heard any positive buzz on the game. Was especially surprised they didn't even manage to contract the actors from the movies.

> Design by committee
Had that feeling as well.

That said, anyone going to pick it up? I'm going to avoid it personally.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum