Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Was one of the original users
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Each character seems to have its own playstyle or genre. Aside from the obvious Alpha floatyness, it looks decent enough gameplay wise. Thor can fly and do throws with his hammer for instance and switch between two movesets. Gameplay looks a bit too generic in that sense though, typical Arkham style of back and forth attacks, attack notifications, a stun etc.

The specials look great though. Not sure about the whole 'cooldown' stuff as always. Same with the Xp system. Visuals look decent enough, though its weird that they're going for the 'movie style' but didn't get the actor's likeness. Iron Man's combat looks very disconnected though. Not really powerful for such powerful weapons. Some of Captain America's moves are actually ripped from God of War 2018 it seems (the shield bash).

All in all looks like a decent alamagamation of modern action game tropes. Tons of warning signs, autocombos, floaty combat, qtes, cooldowns, xp systems. It's all about looking cool without any of the effort or mechanical combat. Decent, but not fantastic.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

2Marvel's Avengers Empty Re: Marvel's Avengers Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:14 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor

The helpful goblin with white paint strikes again!

A shame, because it looks like it has some decent mechanics when viewed in isolation. Hammer throw enemy states, transitions into flying.

I wont be touching it. Hope someday they come out with a good action game based on these heroes because they have tons of cool abilities.

3Marvel's Avengers Empty Re: Marvel's Avengers Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:30 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I remember there used to be quite some movie tie-in games like with Captain America, Green Lantern, Wolverine and Thor. Some of those were pretty decent as I recall. And yeah this does look like it has some interesting things, but at the end of the day I fear the enemies will just not be up for the task. Especially since this game is the definition of what SBK would call "multiple character cancer". You can't make foes that work against all these characters without making them insanely base-line I fear.

4Marvel's Avengers Empty Re: Marvel's Avengers Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:39 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor

That's probably why they have the normal guy, big guy, shield guy, shooter guy, etc. And like Batman, they'll all have very limited, if any, methods for dealing with them, which would allow all characters to dispose of them.

Not saying it's bad to have those archetypical enemy types per se, but you know what I mean.

The whole thing felt like I was watching a movie.

5Marvel's Avengers Empty Re: Marvel's Avengers Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:48 pm

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
A-Rank

This looks really bland, in my opinion. I'd agree, in isolation the mechanics do look decent, but it looks like the objective for the devs was "Make GoW2017 work in the MCU", which really isn't exciting. It really does feel like a movie that they have tried to add some interactivity to. Some thoughts per character:

Thor - This looked okay. Ground combat seems very simple, although I like that he has launchers and air combos. The hammer throwing mechanics could work like a more interesting version of GoW's axe throwing. I hope he has more than one combo string without the hammer though.

Iron Man - I get the feeling that you get XP for every kill to try and make you feel like you aren't wasting your time. Aside from the visual spectacle, nothing about the on-rails/shmup gameplay looked particularly interesting. In the second section, I do like his air dodge though - hopefully he has more interesting movement options in the full release.

Hulk - I like how you can use enemies as weapons, and you can grab two and pummel them against each other. I suspect there will be some opportunities to cause a lot of destruction on-screen with Hulk, which could be fun. The gameplay looks too simple and bulky for him to be a properly enjoyable action game character for my tastes.

Cap - I think this was my favorite gameplay out of the bunch. Cap looks reasonably agile. The shield throwing looks like it allows for pacier combat than Thor's hammer throw does. At a glance, it looks like he has more variety in attacks than the other characters (aside from maybe BW), but it's unfair to judge based off of one video. Might just be me, but I felt like his attacks were a bit meatier than the other characters. I really hope there are more ways to deal with the shielded enemies than just throwing your own shield at them over and over.

Black Widow - Most of this section looked poor. We start with an incredibly long set-piece/QTE section, only for the next section to require you to dodge the same attack over and over until you fire enough pistol shots at your enemy. Once we get in to the boss fight, things look better though - more like Cap's gameplay. Hopefully this part of the game is just a poor representation of what the character can do. Looks like it uses the exact same parryable/unblockable indicators as GoW did.

It certainly has potential, but I guess we'll have to wait and see what comes out of this. The set-pieces/QTEs, XP system and general "cinematic style" gameplay (it basically looks like it plays itself) leave me less than hopeful. Ultimate Alliance 3 is looking like the stronger Marvel game so far.

6Marvel's Avengers Empty Re: Marvel's Avengers Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:57 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Yeah it really seems to ape a lot of existing trends. I feel this game might end up being 'the eight generation of consoles in one game' that each generation seems to have. Just everything right and wrong condensed in one single title. Just needs lootboxes and we're set.

Anyone ever play the PS3 generation Captain America game? Heard it was quite decent.

7Marvel's Avengers Empty Re: Marvel's Avengers Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:37 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Gear. Levels. Powerups. Yeah, I checked out haha.

8Marvel's Avengers Empty Re: Marvel's Avengers Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:17 pm

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
A-Rank

As someone who only played about 10% of GoW2018...this looks EXACTLY like GoW2018 but with a Marvel skin. Might get the game further down the line when it's heavily discounted but I'm not even partly excited for this.

In fact, doesn't it have microtransactions? I might not get it at all.

9Marvel's Avengers Empty Re: Marvel's Avengers Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:38 pm

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

Everything about this looks like God of War 2018. Like, goddamn. Only difference is that the UI looks more like an Ubisoft game.

And frankly, we already peaked with Superhero games 8 years ago with Infamous 2. The game doesn't look terrible though, just all-around average. Ironman's probably going to be the one actually pretty good part of the playable characters.

10Marvel's Avengers Empty Re: Marvel's Avengers Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:04 pm

RedShot

B-Rank

Is inFamous 2 better than the first one ? I always hear the opposite, but I only played the first game and the horrid Second Son.

11Marvel's Avengers Empty Re: Marvel's Avengers Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:12 pm

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

I found it to be. The game really wanted to fix the rather repetitive gameplay of the first one, and is a lot more mobility-based, as a result. Give it a try for yourself.

The game also performs way better than the first game.

12Marvel's Avengers Empty Re: Marvel's Avengers Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:59 pm

RedShot

B-Rank

Interesting, I'll buy it when I get a chance.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum