Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Was one of the original users
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Quite a controversial statement by Toshihiro Nagoshi, the director of the Yakuza games (and others). When talking about Ghost of Tsushima he notes how well received it was in Japan. He follows it up by saying:

“To be honest, we [Japan] were beaten,” he replied with a chuckle. “Yeah, of course, we’re losing. Honestly, I think that’s a game that should be made in Japan.” But, he continued, you can tell that the developers did a massive amount of research.

He later goes more in-depth about the added details on how the game emulated the Kurasawa films (to the point of even changing the frame-rate) and how it captures Japanese culture.

This opens a pretty interesting can of worms for me though. Infamously the director of Ninja Gaiden 3, Hayashi, lamented that he tried to make a 'Japanese styled Hamburger for the west', later saying that Japanese developers should 'just focus on making good Japanese food'. Ghost of Tsushima looks fantastic and feels great to play from what I played at a friends house. It lacks the combat depth of something like Ninja Gaiden or even Sekiro, but it is certainly passable and entertaining, especially visually. The open-world is generic, mechanically speaking at least. Feels like a typical Western title, lots of checkboxes to find and clear.

I do hope Japanese developers look at the style this game has, but I also hope they don't try to emulate Western gamedesign or storydesign again. Let Japan do what Japan does imo. What do you guys think?

https://stinger.actieforum.com

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Veteran
Was one of the original users
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic

I hope they never start making games like this.

[][]/\Casual

[][]/\Casual
C-Rank

I hope they never start making games like this.

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2020/07/23/ghost-of-tsushima-sales-japan/

You know how the industry works.

EmperorWu

D-Rank

I think the open world bug has bit Japanese devs for a long time, I doubt GoT is going to lead to any big changes over there. If it inspires people it'll lead to something more like MGS5 or FFXV, which, while divisive, certainly weren't a reskinned Ubisoft world the way Tsushima is

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum