Royta/Raeng
Infinity_Divide
TheFirmament1
Birdman
KSubzero1000
vert1
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Favorite New Weapons this Generation Empty Favorite New Weapons this Generation Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:31 am

vert1

vert1
C-Rank

1st - Inkbrush from Splatoon series.
2nd - Legion from Astral Chain.
3rd - Breakable Weapon Thrown Impacts from Zelda:BOTW.

The Inkbrush is the best cause it lets you go Kenshiro rapid-attacking with each lateral slash flicking out gobs of ink everywhere. Each battle the color of ink flicked out will be different. Unleashing numerous Legions (the bursting chain) in AC and the exploding impact of damaged thrown weapons in Zelda: BOTW are really cool and of a similar effect.

2Favorite New Weapons this Generation Empty Re: Favorite New Weapons this Generation Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:03 am

KSubzero1000

KSubzero1000
C-Rank

1. Kirkhammer (Bloodborne), baby. Accept no substitute.

2. Balrog (DMC5). "Ignite the flames... NOW!"

3. Laser (Nex Machina). *SHHHHH-ZYOOM-KRRRR*

4. Welder Block (Infinifactory). Witness absolute power.

3Favorite New Weapons this Generation Empty Re: Favorite New Weapons this Generation Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:21 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Veteran
Was one of the original users
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic

I usually gravitate towards ranged options or something you can place on the field like traps, bombs, etc. Loved Lucifer in DMC4 and really like stuff in DMC5 like Cerberus lightning balls and some of the summoned sword options.

Can't remember much from this gen. Would have to look through my PS4 box.

4Favorite New Weapons this Generation Empty Re: Favorite New Weapons this Generation Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:22 am

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

1. Beasthunter Saif from Bloodborne

2. Hatchet from Wolfenstein 2: "There are a lot of things you can do with a hatchet and a Nazi"

3. Balrog from DMC 5, definitely the best iteration of the punch/kick weapons in the series.

5Favorite New Weapons this Generation Empty Re: Favorite New Weapons this Generation Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:56 am

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak
Expert on The Evil Within

Cool topic. Some off the top of my head: 

-Pizza cutter(Bloodborne)- Badass design, very solid all around weapon and had a great function that made it stick out from the rest of the game’s arsenal.
-Ballista(Doom Eternal)- This thing is always getting use, high damage, great way to pick off weakpoints quickly, swaps well with anything, and good mods. Plus it looks cool.
-IceCalibur(Bloodstained Curse of the Moon)- What is there to say here? Freezes any enemy for instant shatter, massive hitbox, double damage to bosses, etc. 
-Block dropper(Mega Man 11)- Making blocks fall on enemies is funny. 
-Warden Crossbow- Reasons I don’t need to mention...

6Favorite New Weapons this Generation Empty Re: Favorite New Weapons this Generation Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:25 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Oef, hard question! I think Bloodborne's trick weapons really are the best new addition, my favourite being the Bloodletter, but generally speaking they are all really freak'n cool. Conceptually I love the bike from DMCV, but in execution I wish it had more to it and that we could ride it as his run button. Think the Gauss in Doom 2016 and its version in Eternal is also a great multipurpose weapon, like how it can be used for movement as well.

This topic also made me realize how little new games I've played this generation haha!

https://stinger.actieforum.com

7Favorite New Weapons this Generation Empty Re: Favorite New Weapons this Generation Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:41 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

That's what got me as well. I'm having trouble coming up with anything that isn't an old PS3 game or remaster.

Lightning Cerberus immediately comes to mind but that's only one form and only the orb attack so not sure if it should count.

Warden Crossbow is a good one.

8Favorite New Weapons this Generation Empty Re: Favorite New Weapons this Generation Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:15 am

KSubzero1000

KSubzero1000
C-Rank

Please note how all four of us who mentioned Bloodborne's weapon system have a different favorite. There isn't really any "main" weapon per se, they're all valid and completely reliable in their own right.

Shows how polished and balanced the game is, really.

9Favorite New Weapons this Generation Empty Re: Favorite New Weapons this Generation Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:05 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Bloodborne's weapons really were the star of the show. Liked each and every single one of them, and most also had some unique aspect to them like the Wheel's charging ability, the blood effect of the katana, how the change-attack of the saw has bonus damage to it - just so much little details. Also has one of the best campaigns and DLCs in recent memory. Glorious game.

My only wish is that there was an unlockable mode that allows you to choose what weapon you start out with.

10Favorite New Weapons this Generation Empty Re: Favorite New Weapons this Generation Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:04 pm

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention a few from Dark Souls 3. Primarily the Farron Greatsword; I bet you that this weapon was a prototype Bloodborne weapon that didn't make it in the game, because they couldn't find a way to connect a huge sword, and a tiny dagger together. Sliding around with this thing is a blast.

Same thing with the Ring Knight Paired Greatswords; You're dual-wielding huge greatswords, how much more video-gamey can we get here? These things are ridiculous, and I love them. Not to mention their crazy weapon art.

Dark Souls 3 had a few weapons that really felt like they were prototype Bloodborne weapons, and those 2 were the best of them.

11Favorite New Weapons this Generation Empty Re: Favorite New Weapons this Generation Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:03 am

Nadster

A-Rank
Veteran

I forgot to ask this question when this topic came out but do cross-gen games count?

12Favorite New Weapons this Generation Empty Re: Favorite New Weapons this Generation Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:09 am

vert1

vert1
C-Rank

No, but it shouldn't cause any confusion if you mention them underneath your pick (or placeholder) as a last-gen fave.

13Favorite New Weapons this Generation Empty Re: Favorite New Weapons this Generation Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:50 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Another one I'd like to add is peeing in Death Stranding. It's such a weird little weapon to have, but it works quite well. Death Stranding had a lot of fun little weapons that used your HP-bar as ammo (or at least as an option) which was pretty neat. The bola-gun was pretty fun too and souped up.

That said I think the standout weapon in that game is 'the package'. Just any package. The versaility you have with the containers is very impressive. You can use it as a melee weapon for unblockable damage, you can throw it, use it as a lure (as thieves will run towards precious cargo) - the only thing it doesn't do is have a block-function (would be neat).

14Favorite New Weapons this Generation Empty Re: Favorite New Weapons this Generation Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:56 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>block

That would've been pretty interesting especially if you could hold up important stuff and they wouldn't want attack.

>run towards

Traps would've been nice. Or does the game already have them? I only got up to the snow area.

15Favorite New Weapons this Generation Empty Re: Favorite New Weapons this Generation Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:15 am

HotPocketHPE

HotPocketHPE
C-Rank

Coin revolver from ULTRAKILL. The concept of flipping up a coin and reflecting shots off it in midair is already cool as fuck, but the way it interacts with the game's systems is what puts it over the top for me.

All hitscan attacks can be reflected and have their damage increased, including your railcannon (giving rise to the powerful "railcoin" technique) and the Malicious Face enemy's laser blast.

Shooting the coin at the apex of its arc with the revolver will split the shot in two for twice the damage and crowd control. Since the arc of the coin is deterministic based on your momentum and aim, you can get consistent at this over time for big efficiency gains, but it's never required of you. Because of the immediate feedback and rhythmic nature, you naturally get better quickly over time just by using the coin normally.

The coin itself is a projectile, so it can be parried into enemies and juggled with the blue fist. IIRC explosion shockwaves will also manipulate its flight path.

Flamethrower enemies always face towards you but have fuel canisters on their back, so throwing a coin behind them and hitting it will bounce the shot into the canister and create a massive explosion and hitstop effect. Instakilling two flamethrower enemies with one split shot is one of the best things in gaming, I can't overstate how good the hitstop feels.

16Favorite New Weapons this Generation Empty Re: Favorite New Weapons this Generation Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:20 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Watched a video on that, looks rad as fuck. Really like how it keys in on older movies too. Great comment man, never heard of this one!

17Favorite New Weapons this Generation Empty Re: Favorite New Weapons this Generation Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:43 am

hedfone

hedfone
A-Rank
Veteran

I don't really like most of DMCV, but I thought neros arms were a cool idea.

Warden crossbow and the shotgun in TEW are god tier.

Most boring weapon probably the sword in Sekiro lol

18Favorite New Weapons this Generation Empty Re: Favorite New Weapons this Generation Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:03 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak
Expert on The Evil Within

>Warden crossbow and the shotgun in TEW are god tier.

Truer words have never been spoken.

19Favorite New Weapons this Generation Empty Re: Favorite New Weapons this Generation Mon May 10, 2021 5:54 pm

zaa / Aaro

zaa / Aaro
D-Rank

Cool question, some weapons that come to mind:

- Raiment in Sakuna. Flying swallow and most katana-type moves are generally fun too.
- Your fist in Psi Knuckle (very good. also iframes and weird movement use)
- Manually aimed&timed missiles in Aka to Blue (blue ship)
- Claws in Nioh 2 (basically NG2 talons). General swordfighting in Nioh felt good when played around spacing, pressure & timing instead of parries or other cheese
- Seconding cargo in Death Stranding, a lot of fun stuff in that game mechanically
- Grab system in The Ninja Warriors Once Again. Kunoichi sword moveset probably the most fun overall for me.
- Blue Stalker in Index Virtual-On. Pretty cool mechanically with how you can throw a barrage of attacks via cancel routes. A highlight against the game being a bit jank in general.
- Liquorice's melee attack in Assault Android Cactus. Coral's Shotgun and Shiitake piercing shot are very cool too (good synergy with system)
- Chain reaction explosions in Murasaki
- Cluster Missile & Hyper Laser in Blue Revolver. Overlapping effects with other weapons, like cerberus thunder shots mentioned above. Kind of derivative of battle garegga bombs though.

Mix between PS4/PS3-gen:
- Fencer shotgun cannons/mortars in Earth Defence Force 5/4. Also the piercing spear of course..
- Luca's main sniper weapon in Senko no Ronde DUO/2 (large variety of attacks with this weapon, from straight snipes to predictive spreads etc.)
- Combination of Type-B sword & lock-on weapons in ZeroRanger. Dash melee in Astebreed is similar (great synergy with scoring/ranking system)
- Slow startup but instant travel time sniper weapons in gundam exvs series (g-arcane, cherudim)
- Rotatable piercing shot in REVOLVER360 RE:Actor

I was kind of surprised how few weapons came to mind really. Seems to reflect how many mechanically interesting games came out the past few years. Seems some big trends I like are crowd control weapons, a lot of variety in cancel routes or use, technical timing weapons & great synergy with ranking systems.
I remember enjoying Nero's system in DMCV too but no particular weapon popped in my mind. Also found Sekiro really uninteresting in terms of how fighting works. Even if it was an alright time it's not because of unique mechanics.

https://www.youtube.com/zaarock

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum