You are not connected. Please login or register

Wolfenstein

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Wolfenstein Empty Wolfenstein Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:54 pm

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

There's already a thread for Youngblood, so consider this a topic for New Order, Old Blood, and New Colossus.

I hear that these games are basically the missing link between modern FPS's like CoD, or Battlefield, and old-school shooters, like Duke Nukem and DOOM. They look pretty fun, and I'm especially a big fan of the dieselpunk look to them. They're also supposedly just good all-around, from solid FPS combat that's not quite as good as stuff like DOOM or Titanfall, but above Battlefield, and surprisingly strong storytelling.

The first two have some pretty terrible performance on PC, so I'll be playing those two on PS4, and the last one on PC.

Anyone play these games? What are your thoughts on them?

2Wolfenstein Empty Re: Wolfenstein Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:50 am

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

Sadly for me, there really is no definitive version of Wolfenstein: TNO and Oldblood.

Either on PC, where I can aim with a Mouse and Keyboard, but it runs like shit on my RX 570, or on PS4, where it runs at a smooth 1080p60 consistently, but I have to aim with a controller, in which this game definitely feels like the aiming was made for M&K considering how accurate the weapons are in hipfire mode. I guess I'll be playing it on PS4.

Fortunately, New Colossus works well on PC for me, so definitely playing there.

3Wolfenstein Empty Re: Wolfenstein Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:07 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Was one of the original users
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Didn't the PS4 ever get a M&K add-on to use? I remember the Xbox 360 had one as I recall.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

4Wolfenstein Empty Re: Wolfenstein Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:06 pm

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

Not as far as I'm aware of, unless you go third-party, or make a custom circuit board.

In which I'm not willing to pay another $50-100 for an adapter, and I can't be bothered to attempt to figure out how that circuit board works purely to play one or two games.

5Wolfenstein Empty Re: Wolfenstein Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:40 am

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

So I tried a fix for TNO online, and it's now running fine on my PC!

Guess I can actually play this game properly now.

6Wolfenstein Empty Re: Wolfenstein Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:39 am

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

Alright, so I got through a huge chunk of the game on PC today, and just finished the U-Boat.

It's pretty good. My biggest gripes are the hitscan nature of enemy weapons, and the fact that you have to manually pick up stuff. Really slows down the pace more than necessary.

Game's at it's best when it throws you into an arena with a whole bunch of tight hallways, and you're dual-wielding shotguns, or assault rifles. Means that you can just zip in and out through hallways, popping off shots to wipe a few enemies in them at a time (Or outside the hallways, and in the main arena), and then once the room's been thinned, you run up to the big guy's face, and then just let loose with whatever you got while strafing, or sprinting from cover to cover, hammering away at their health.

I hear that Wolfenstein 2 didn't fix the hitscan/weapon pickup (Maybe they'll fix it in Wolfenstein 3, I dunno), but the ridiculously fast movement, and the ability to dual-wield any weapon looks super appealing to me, so that might make up for that to some degree.

7Wolfenstein Empty Re: Wolfenstein Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:33 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Was one of the original users
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Wolfenstein 2 didn't get a raving reception as I recall, but I could be wrong. Haven't played this series yet outside of the old "Return to Castle Wolfenstein" which was pretty neat.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

8Wolfenstein Empty Re: Wolfenstein Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:11 pm

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

Beat The New Order.

Overall, it's fun. Like, it isn't a shooter that has super innovative movement, or crazy weapons, and it does have it's problems, like the fact that enemies aren't shooting bullets, but rather, scanning hits on you most of the time, so running and gunning isn't the best for every situation.

It's really just a rock-solid shooter that has fun, punchy guns, and some cool environments. As said earlier, it really works when you're thrown into an arena with a whole bunch of tight hallways, while stacked with tons of ammo.

The "missing link" between old-school and modern shooters is about right.

9Wolfenstein Empty Re: Wolfenstein Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:54 am

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

Just beat Wolfenstein 2. On Do or Die, the standard 'hard' difficulty.

The story for both games is generally not great, despite what many people have told me. Another example of "game story being praised, because our standards for writing in this medium are hilariously low".

This definitely falls into the same category of Max Payne 3, where the game is 100% best played on PC, along with having too many unskippable cutscenes for a not great story.

Gotta say that it's definitely pretty unrefined in a lot of respects, like having to pick up stuff manually, slow weapon switching, and hitscan weapons.

But goddamn, I would be lying if I said I didn't have fun with it. I think it's a pretty top-tier shooter. Not sure why everyone complains that you die quickly, and that you can't run and gun above normal... You can. I did it for basically every level, the courthouse battle included. It's definitely a different style of run and gun (That is to say, not leaping right at the enemies headfirst, but you can do this every now and again), where you gotta sprint through the level looking for ammo and supplies, wrecking the shit of everyone that gets in your way. Also a fan of how enemies aren't too spongey, you can absolutely melt Ubersoldatens with dual shotguns, dual ARs (Both semi-auto), and dual Nailgun SMGs. Even faster if you aim at the head.

The game's replay value is definitely hurt by some unskippable sections (First-person cutscenes), but fuck me, I had an absolute blast. Hate for this game is absolutely overblown.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]